Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Tubeless patch?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Tubeless patch?

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-20, 10:09 PM
mtnbud

Bikes: 2019 Trek Stash 7, 1994 Specialized Epic 1986 Diamondback Ascent 1996 Klein Pulse Comp, 2006 Specialized Sequoia Elite

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 418 Post(s)
Liked 521 Times in 290 Posts
Tubeless patch?

I bought a Trek Slash a little while ago and am running tubeless. This is my first experience with tubeless (and disk brakes also). I found a small pinhole leak in the sidewall. I took it to the bike shop I bought it at and the guy who helped me said I needed to buy a new tire.
​tire.
​​​​​​
I asked if maybe some fresh sealant in the tire might do the job. He put a little sealant in the tire and pumped it up. He then spun it around and the sealant was spraying out of the small hole. The only tire he had in 29 by 3 was $95. He didn't seem to know anything about patching the tire.

The hole is very small. Can't I simply patch the hole? Would putting sealant in and leaving it set at a low pressure until the sealant has had a chance to congeal do the job?
Old 09-04-20, 10:12 PM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
You can patch it as you would a tube. On an MTB tire, you could probably just slap a piece of Gorilla Tape on the inside of the hole. The most time consuming part of it is cleaning the area well enough to get the glue to bond.
Old 09-05-20, 03:00 AM
dsaul

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 714 Post(s)
Liked 798 Times in 475 Posts
I have patched the inside of many tubeless tires with regular tube patches and glue. As mentioned above, you just have to clean the area well before patching. I clean off the old sealant and wipe down with acetone before patching. I usually put something heavy on the patch and let it sit overnight before re-mounting the tire.
Old 09-05-20, 06:02 AM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
Originally Posted by dsaul
I have patched the inside of many tubeless tires with regular tube patches and glue.
For best results use proper vulcanizing fluid, not rubber cement. Vulcanizing fluid makes a chemical bond between the tire and patch. I use Rema brand.
Old 09-05-20, 06:24 AM
mack_turtle
n00b

Bikes: Surly Karate Monkey, Twin Six Standard Rando

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 428 Post(s)
Liked 466 Times in 273 Posts
There are several tubeless tire "plug" kits on the market for just this purpose. Your LBS is quite ignorant if they don't know about these. Some riders call them "bacon strips." The Genuine Innovations kit is less than $10 and will plug five times or more.
Old 09-05-20, 08:51 AM
drlogik 

Bikes: '87-ish Pinarello Montello; '89 Nishiki Ariel; '85 Raleigh Wyoming, '16 Wabi Special, '16 Wabi Classic, '14 Kona Cinder Cone

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked 409 Times in 255 Posts
Patching on the inside as mentioned above is the best method. A plug is an emergency type patch if your on the road or trail in my opinion. They generally work fine but I think a patch is a better more permanent repair. And as stated above, you really need to not only clean the inside of the tire but you have to sand it also to expose bare rubber. Regular sandpaper will work fine,

Clean first with alcohol, then sand then apply a light coat of vulcanizing fluid (as also mentioned), let the fluid dry completely then apply another coat of fluid, let dry then the patch. Once applied you'll need to "stitch" the patch to make it sticks really well. I use a quarter (the coin), roll the quarter's edge all around the patch, pressing as hard as you can. Don't drag it, roll it. (Best to do this on a hard surface). If you can, let the tire sit for a couple of hours before mounting and inflating but this isn't mandatory.

-

Last edited by drlogik; 09-05-20 at 08:55 AM.
Old 09-05-20, 10:30 AM
mtnbud

Bikes: 2019 Trek Stash 7, 1994 Specialized Epic 1986 Diamondback Ascent 1996 Klein Pulse Comp, 2006 Specialized Sequoia Elite

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 418 Post(s)
Liked 521 Times in 290 Posts
Thanks guys! Sounds like it should be fairly easy for me to fix!