Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

rear wheel build will I be ok with this calculation

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-20, 11:13 AM
deacon mark

Bikes: Habanero Titanium Team Nuevo

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked 185 Times in 121 Posts

Ok so I can rebuild the wheel and the spokes are good and the nipples. I cannot get a Kinlin xc 279 rim anymore. The ERD is 583 so checking around I see a DT Swiss 585 rim is cheap at $75 and the ERM is 282. If i rebuild using this rim will it probably work? What to the Las Vegas odds makers give me on the success of 1mm off. Could go with a dtswiss 520 rim at 584 but these are more money and pinned joint not welded.
Old 09-09-20, 12:08 PM
trailangel

Bikes: Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1931 Post(s)
Liked 742 Times in 422 Posts
I wouldn't. For the trouble it is building wheels, I personally would buy new spokes and nipples.
Old 09-09-20, 12:21 PM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
Originally Posted by trailangel
I wouldn't. For the trouble it is building wheels, I personally would buy new spokes and nipples.
I agree, find the optimum rim for the project and get new spokes to suit. New brass nipples.
Old 09-09-20, 01:19 PM
deacon mark

Originally Posted by Bill Kapaun
What's ERM and how does it relate to ERD?
It is just a miss type easy to figure out ERD.
Old 09-09-20, 04:49 PM
davidad

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 582 Post(s)
Liked 171 Times in 138 Posts
If the spokes have not been damaged and the hub is in good shape you should be OK.
Old 09-10-20, 08:46 AM
oldukbkr 

Bikes: '59 Rory O'Brien, 49/72 Holdsworth Trike, '66 Bates BAR, '74 Bob Jackson

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 13 Posts
You may get away with it. But I prefer to buy the rim I want and measure it myself before ordering spokes to fit. You can't guarantee the manufacturer's stated ERD will be exact.
Old 09-10-20, 02:08 PM
deacon mark

Truthfully in the end the best move is just by another rear wheel and since I can build wheels tweak it up if needed. I am looking for a smooth training set. I have some Archetype wheels on my other bike 32 hole with shimano hubs and l love the way they roll. Not the lightest or flashy but they look nice and have been great. Got them from Velomine which is not far I can drive to get the wheels. Problem is there seems to be shortage of just regular wheelsets. I have clinchers with rim brakes and I am not running tubeless.
Old 09-10-20, 05:19 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6200 Post(s)
Liked 4,203 Times in 2,358 Posts
Originally Posted by deacon mark
Ok so I can rebuild the wheel and the spokes are good and the nipples. I cannot get a Kinlin xc 279 rim anymore. The ERD is 583 so checking around I see a DT Swiss 585 rim is cheap at $75 and the ERM is 282. If i rebuild using this rim will it probably work? What to the Las Vegas odds makers give me on the success of 1mm off. Could go with a dtswiss 520 rim at 584 but these are more money and pinned joint not welded.
If you are just replacing a damaged rim, you should be okay. If you are planning on removing (or have already removed the spokes), start with new spokes.

To replace a rim without delacing, just detension the spokes until they are very loose, and tape the new rim to the new one. Then swap the spokes one at a time to the new rim. Match the valve stems and make sure that the offset on the spoke holes are correct. It will look like this

You may need new spoke nipples as they tend to take a beating during tensioning and detensioning. At least have a few new ones on hand in case you round off any.

Once the wheel is laced, everything else just goes like a normal wheel build from there.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Likes For cyccommute: