Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Stronglight Ironlight crankset experience

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Old 09-19-20, 06:42 PM
amillhench
TXHC

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 56 Times in 25 Posts

I have a set of these beauties headed to me and am looking for people with first person experience using one.

I’ve seen reference to a propensity for breakage but no actual pictures or first hand anecdotes. There is actually relatively little info on them out there.

Would it be ok for gravel duty or should I save it for a road only build? Looking forward to hearing your experience.

Thanks!
Old 09-20-20, 10:25 AM
dddd
Ride, Wrench, Swap, Race

Bikes: Cheltenham-Pedersen racer, Boulder F/S Paris-Roubaix, Varsity racer, '52 Christophe, '62 Continental, '92 Merckx, '75 Limongi, '76 Presto, '72 Gitane SC, '71 Schwinn SS, etc.

Mentioned: 132 Post(s)
Quoted: 1562 Post(s)
Liked 1,285 Times in 856 Posts
Originally Posted by amillhench
I have a set of these beauties headed to me and am looking for people with first person experience using one.

I’ve seen reference to a propensity for breakage but no actual pictures or first hand anecdotes. There is actually relatively little info on them out there.

Would it be ok for gravel duty or should I save it for a road only build? Looking forward to hearing your experience.

Thanks!
Often it's the amount of loading that is the biggest factor in deciding whether certain lightweight parts should be avoided.

Big, strong rider and/or steep terrain using limited gearing are things that contribute to the loading metric.
There is also the sort of loading peak generated by standing on the pedals over very rough ground.
Likes For dddd:
Old 09-20-20, 12:16 PM
amillhench
TXHC

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 56 Times in 25 Posts
All good points @dddd

This bike will be geared for comfort and not speed. Luckily I am not a big nor strong rider either, ha.

Thanks for the input. If anyone else has ridden and/or broken one of these, I am all ears.
Old 09-20-20, 01:24 PM
randyjawa 

Bikes: 1958 Rabeneick 120D, 1968 Legnano Gran Premio, 196? Torpado Professional, 2000 Marinoni Piuma

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Quoted: 1372 Post(s)
Liked 1,748 Times in 937 Posts
That crank set was original for my eight speed Quintanna Roo. The bike is, probably, the fastest in my collection and the least liked (long story). I can say this, the 55 tooth big ring could make that bike, fitted with 650a wheels, fly like the wind...