Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Problems getting on & off bike, age 70.5 yrs young!

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Problems getting on & off bike, age 70.5 yrs young!

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-20, 10:07 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6185 Post(s)
Liked 4,803 Times in 3,313 Posts
So are you saying that the bike frame must always be perpendicular to the surface and my butt cannot be off to one side while stopped? I suppose I shouldn't tippy toe with the foot on the ground either.

Boy I'm learning all sorts of things I've been doing wrong for over fifty years. <grin>
Old 07-26-20, 11:33 AM
Bicycle...and D

Bikes: 1973 Motobecane Astra

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
I didn't say anything like that. But I'm not here to argue.
Old 07-26-20, 12:51 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Originally Posted by Bicycle...and D
I didn't say anything like that. But I'm not here to argue.
I didn't know how your comment was intended or whom you were addressing. So I probably didn't understand it the way you wanted it understood. Helps to provide some extra info as to what you are talking about so it is not misconstrued.

What you said was a method to get saddle heights in the ballpark for riding. I didn't know how that applied for anything discussed here.
Old 08-12-20, 07:39 AM
McMitchell

Bikes: Focus Mares CX, Rocky Moutain Sherpa

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Iride01 writes....
“If so, then don't try and toss your foot over the seat. As I contend, swinging your leg and foot over the back tire and then getting your butt on the seat is the most common method to mount a bike. Even taking your leg over the top tube will be easier than having your foot go over the seat. Neither of those two ways involve tossing a foot over the seat.

However I guess you don't like to enlighten those of us that don't understand.”

Iride01, apparently never rode horses. It takes most guys, one short experience, to learn not to hover over the saddle pommel!

There is no way I would attempt the method Iride01 suggests. I have had the experience of smashing my scrotum into whatever is serving as my perch, and did not relish the experience. I keep my bottom well above the seat at all times! No way I would attempt to hop over my seat from straddling the rear tire! I doubt the method Iride01 outlines, “is the most common method to mount a bike.” I think most guys & women would rather risk damage to their foot than their crotch.

“However I guess you don't like to enlighten those of us that don't understand.” I am trying! Iride01also states “Even taking your leg over the top tube will be easier than having your foot go over the seat.” Which entirely misses the mark...top bars are shorter on road bikes and Cyclocross bikes, making the natural path for the foot encounter the bicycle seat!

Last edited by McMitchell; 08-12-20 at 08:09 AM.
Old 08-12-20, 08:55 AM
Elbeinlaw

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 156 Post(s)
Liked 100 Times in 68 Posts
Some thoughts after a few months

I'm a mere 64 1/2 years old, so I'm a kid here, I guess.

I want to mention that I tried all the suggestions: the moving-horse-mount, the leaning-over-mount, the sneak-up-on-the-seat-from-the-back mount. None of them worked well. All felt insecure. It was a come-to-cheeses moment (as before cataract surgery, and before buying trifocals, and before buying hearing aids) I'm too old and too inflexible to do the hybrid any more. Period. End of story. [do these moments of reckoning never stop?]

My solutions were two. (1) I bought a Trek Verve Step Through. Hate the look. It's been hard to adjust to, but because of some very good qualities. It rides like a jeep--over anything! Very stable. And very stable at very slow speeds. Hate the look, though. ***** to climb hills, but I can use the calories. It's not a racer, but then neither am I. But did I mention I hate the way it looks?

(2) I also bought a (used) Bike Friday. Low bar. Easy on, easy off. NOT stable, takes an adjustment to get used to, but very agile. Moderate sized tires (1.75, I think) but do OK on gravel and broken concrete and sidewalk/grass margins. I wouldn't agree that the BF rides like a road bike--it's a completely different experience. But I've ridden it up to about 10 miles with no problems. The "small wheels" are compensated for by gearing: it's not quite the same as my Trek Verve, but again, it's different. A much easier climber, because it's lighter. And by the way, the combination of external 8 gear cluster in a rear derailler and an internal 3 gear hub is AMAZING. I would think about converting my Verve, and just might when I eventually spring for the hub generators.
Old 08-12-20, 10:41 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Originally Posted by McMitchell
Iride01 writes....
“If so, then don't try and toss your foot over the seat. As I contend, swinging your leg and foot over the back tire and then getting your butt on the seat is the most common method to mount a bike. Even taking your leg over the top tube will be easier than having your foot go over the seat. Neither of those two ways involve tossing a foot over the seat.

However I guess you don't like to enlighten those of us that don't understand.”

Iride01, apparently never rode horses. It takes most guys, one short experience, to learn not to hover over the saddle pommel!

There is no way I would attempt the method Iride01 suggests. I have had the experience of smashing my scrotum into whatever is serving as my perch, and did not relish the experience. I keep my bottom well above the seat at all times! No way I would attempt to hop over my seat from straddling the rear tire! I doubt the method Iride01 outlines, “is the most common method to mount a bike.” I think most guys & women would rather risk damage to their foot than their crotch.

“However I guess you don't like to enlighten those of us that don't understand.” I am trying! Iride01also states “Even taking your leg over the top tube will be easier than having your foot go over the seat.” Which entirely misses the mark...top bars are shorter on road bikes and Cyclocross bikes, making the natural path for the foot encounter the bicycle seat!
I guess we just don't speak the same language. Even your responses to my quoted statements don't sound as if you are fully understanding what I ask.

Certainly I'm not understanding what exactly you are doing or aren't able to do from what you've written.