Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Fast rolling gravel tires?

Old 08-15-20, 09:08 PM
Toadmeister

Bikes: 2021 Salsa Fargo 1x12, 2019 Jamis Renegade Exploit 1x11. Motobacne NX Fat Tire

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked 332 Times in 170 Posts
Originally Posted by zarbog
I have 700c x 40 WTB Biways on order, should be here Monday or Tuesday. Replacing stock Giant tires with them, I'll post my impressions later.
i like my Byway 700x44 on my rear wheel. I have a Maxis Rambler 700x42 on front. I found the knobby Rambler on front to better hold the line on loose gravel descents.
Old 08-16-20, 06:11 PM
mbailey

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 4 Posts
René Herse
Old 08-17-20, 09:51 AM
msu2001la

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1455 Post(s)
Liked 1,477 Times in 867 Posts
Originally Posted by chas58
I'll throw some caveats in here.

In the interest of safety (and high pressure) conti has gone very very conservative on the bead design - to the point that they are practically un-mountable on some rims. They are much, much tighter than the tubed version, and even tigher than some Schwalbe tubless. If you have rims that are slightly oversized, they may not go on. I'm thinking they would probably work on my DT swiss rims, but I put them on some hookless carbon rims (which must be slightly oversized) and for the first time in my life, I was defeated. Took them to a shop where it took two stronger guys over 30 minutes to mount the tires (they took it as a challenge!).

It says "hooked rims only" but I heard a conti engineer clarify that they are ok on hookless rims as long as you don't go over 5 bar. Doesn't matter what the tire is, I'm not going over 5 bar hookless - or really anything tubeless. I just can't seeing having a blowout at speed at high pressure and low volume.
My GP5000TL's are on. It was a bit of a battle. My wife helped hold two levers in place to keep the bead from slipping while I snapped the rest of the bead over the rim with a 3rd. I'm worried that there's no way I'd be able to get one of these off and back on during a roadside repair, but maybe they'll stretch out a bit?

I got both tires seated using the air shot and the rear was holding air before even adding sealant. The front is leaking I'm thinking the factory tape job may be bad. I could hear air coming out at the valve stem and also where the seam in the rim is. I cranked down on the valve stem a bit and thought that had solved it, but was a slow leak and I let it sit for a while and added more air, thought I had it solved but the tire was flat a few hours later. I also tried adding more sealant and that didn't help, so I might take it into my LBS today and see if they can take a look.
Old 08-17-20, 04:22 PM
chas58

Bikes: too many of all kinds

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 1147 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 335 Posts
Originally Posted by msu2001la
My GP5000TL's are on. It was a bit of a battle. My wife helped hold two levers in place to keep the bead from slipping while I snapped the rest of the bead over the rim with a 3rd. I'm worried that there's no way I'd be able to get one of these off and back on during a roadside repair, but maybe they'll stretch out a bit?
Yeah, something like a bead biter or Koolstop tool helps a lot. I bought both, and use the koolstop all the time with tubless. Makes life a lot easier for $10. Never really needed to use the bead biter with that (so far)
https://www.amazon.com/Tubeless-Solu.../dp/B01N1ZNJ6A
https://www.amazon.com/Kool-Stop-Tir.../dp/B001AYML7K

I'd get some tire plugs too (I did) in case you get something that sealant won't seal.

Sometimes the tires will hold air better after riding a little and waiting a few days - if the sealant can plug up those leaks you are talking about. Usually I find it gets better after a few days if I have something that isn't sealed very well initiall.
Likes For chas58:
Old 08-17-20, 07:49 PM
dwmckee

Bikes: Co-Motion Cappuccino Tandem,'88 Bob Jackson Touring, Co-Motion Cascadia Touring, Open U.P., Ritchie Titanium Breakaway, Frances Cycles SmallHaul cargo bike. Those are the permanent ones; others wander in and out of the stable occasionally as well.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 339 Times in 229 Posts
Originally Posted by Chi_Z
32mm gatorskin works on any hard surface gravel, with loose surface you'll probably want 650b 47mm+
The Gatorskin is very tough but not fast and have little road feel compared to Rene Hearse, GP 5000, Gravel Kings, Panaracers and Challenge Strada Biancas. The Gatorskins are best for someone that finds flat resistace much more important than speed or handling.
Old 08-19-20, 05:29 PM
GeneO 

Bikes: 2018 Roubaix Expert Di2, 2016 Diverge Expert X1

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 482 Post(s)
Liked 151 Times in 105 Posts
I am running Vittoria Zero 32mm gravel tires and like them alot. Hard pack and pavement are what they are designed for.
Old 08-20-20, 01:14 PM
Craptacular8

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 31 Posts
Gp5000

Originally Posted by gravelED
Really depends on terrain, but another fan of the Conti 5000TL 700x32. I have three wheelsets that I switch around based on what I plan to ride. I don't have a true road bike, so my Aspero is my road bike and gravel bike.

For road rides or road with light gravel I run the Conti 5000 TL 700x32, Incredible tires, roll really fast and make my gravel bike feel like a road bike. If I had a dedicated road bike, I would run these tires on it.
For true mixed road and gravel I just replaced a pair of Challenge Strada Bianca 700x36 TL with a pair of Panaracer GravelKing (smooth) 700x38c. The Challenge tires rode really great and handled really rocky terrain well, but the sidewalls deteriorated and wore too quickly, good tires but they didn't last. The Panaracers feel comparable but I don't have enough miles on them to truly compare yet.
For real gravel rides I love the WTB Resolute 700x42. A great gravel tire that rolls extremely well on pavement, without a doubt my favorite gravel tire.
You have the GP5000's setup tubeless? If you have measured them, how wide do they end up (of course on what internal width rim)? Have one bike that ideally I'd like to find a fabulous tire, that mounts up at 34 wide on using rims that are 21 internal. Currently running compass 32's that measure out 33, and there's more room in there, but suspect 35 would rub in back.
Old 08-20-20, 01:24 PM
Craptacular8

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 31 Posts
Rene Herse

Originally Posted by wgscott
I have the 38mm Barlow Pass and 38mm Steilacooms, both Extralight. I would go with ExtraLight if you can manage. I ride stuff a lot nastier stuff without issue. I've always run them with tubes. They sell a Panaracer sealant they say works well with their tires, but I haven't tried it. The sidewalls are thin and tend to weep if you use Stans or Orange Seal, from what I have been told. The tires wear surprisingly well. I've only replaced one so far. They last much longer than the Clement XPLOR tires I used to use.

If you don't mind reading their own info: https://www.renehersecycles.com/how-...e-herse-tires/

We also have a deliberative, objectively-detached review thread here: https://www.bikeforums.net/singlespe...e-warning.html
I've run the compass/rene herse tires for a few years in their 700x32, and a couple bikes with the bon jon's 700x35, which seemed to measure out around 36 (18 internal ) both standard and extra lites. Currently using up a set of standard casings. Have a gravel race in October. I've ridden the chunky limestone there before ok in both the standard and extralite, no issues with sidewall slashes, but think I'd prefer a wider tire for the race, just to be sure on the float. What's your opinion on the Steilacooms? I could probably stuff the 42mm version on my bike, but I'd have to lose the fenders, which I'd rather not. I have 1700'ish miles on the current tires. Rotated them at 1,000 miles roughly...they look like they'd go for a bunch more miles....but would rather be prepared with new tires before the race, and err on the wider side.
Old 08-21-20, 08:14 AM
msu2001la

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 1455 Post(s)
Liked 1,477 Times in 867 Posts
Yeah, something like a bead biter or Koolstop tool helps a lot. I bought both, and use the koolstop all the time with tubless. Makes life a lot easier for $10. Never really needed to use the bead biter with that (so far)
https://www.amazon.com/Tubeless-Solu.../dp/B01N1ZNJ6A
https://www.amazon.com/Kool-Stop-Tir.../dp/B001AYML7K

I'd get some tire plugs too (I did) in case you get something that sealant won't seal.

Sometimes the tires will hold air better after riding a little and waiting a few days - if the sealant can plug up those leaks you are talking about. Usually I find it gets better after a few days if I have something that isn't sealed very well initiall.
Thanks for the tips.

The LBS just reseated and added more sealant and it held air for 2 days in their shop. I picked up the wheel and it seemed good to go, but was dismayed to find it had lost pressure while bouncing around in the trunk of my car on the way home. It wasn't totally flat so I just added more air and was prepared to return to my LBS, but it's held so I figured I'd just ride it and see what happens.

I did 30 miles on them this morning. The ride was great, tires feel fast, light and smooth. I ran them at 60psi which was probably too high, but they felt very smooth even at that pressure. I weigh around 165psi and have been running 28C GP5000's at around 65psi, so I feel like I could easily drop down to 50 or even 40psi on these. I have run 33C CX clinchers in the 30's and tubulars in the 20's so I'm used to lower pressure tires.

The front didn't lose any pressure on my ride and even a few hours after it's still holding so hopefully it's fully sealed now. I ordered a dynaplug racer set to keep in my toolbag.
Old 08-21-20, 01:13 PM
chas58

The Gatorskin is very tough but not fast and have little road feel compared to Rene Hearse, GP 5000, Gravel Kings, Panaracers and Challenge Strada Biancas. The Gatorskins are best for someone that finds flat resistace much more important than speed or handling.
That is what they say on Bikeforums. They are not as bad as their rap. They have a tough tread, and very supple sidewalls - so they ride a LOT better than tires with thick sidewalls. I don't find them bad. I think the reason they have a bad rap is people run them at 120 psi and there is no sidewall flex. Run them at a reasonable pressure, and they are fine. Certainly running the 32mm at 40psi is not a bad ride.

Their best trait is that they last forever. I have some that are over 10 years old, while some of the ones above last me about a year, maybe a year and a half. They are great gravel tires for hardpack in the 32mm size - certainly tough enough. The 4season is basically the same tire (performance wise) in a more modern construction - similar wear resistance and puncture resistance, but with a thinner more supple tread and a bit more traction.
Old 08-21-20, 01:16 PM
chas58

Originally Posted by Craptacular8
You have the GP5000's setup tubeless? If you have measured them, how wide do they end up (of course on what internal width rim)? Have one bike that ideally I'd like to find a fabulous tire, that mounts up at 34 wide on using rims that are 21 internal. Currently running compass 32's that measure out 33, and there's more room in there, but suspect 35 would rub in back.
The are 32mm on a 22ID rim. The 4 seasons and Gatorskins are about 32mm on a <=17mm rim, but on a 22mm rim those are a lot bigger than the GP5000.
Old 08-21-20, 01:18 PM
chas58

Originally Posted by msu2001la
I did 30 miles on them this morning. The ride was great, tires feel fast, light and smooth. I ran them at 60psi which was probably too high, but they felt very smooth even at that pressure. I weigh around 165psi and have been running 28C GP5000's at around 65psi, so I feel like I could easily drop down to 50 or even 40psi on these. I have run 33C CX clinchers in the 30's and tubulars in the 20's so I'm used to lower pressure tires.

The front didn't lose any pressure on my ride and even a few hours after it's still holding so hopefully it's fully sealed now. I ordered a dynaplug racer set to keep in my toolbag.
Hopefully the sealant will eventually take care of any leakage. They will never hold air as well as a tubed tire, but the tire itself will hold air without any sealant, so I suspect it is something around the valve (or maybe spoke holes).
Old 08-21-20, 02:52 PM
Rides4Beer

Bikes: SuperSix Evo | Revolt

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 733 Post(s)
Liked 815 Times in 414 Posts
First ride on 42mm Pathfinder Pros, def fast for a big tire (measure almost 44mm). My 40mm Terra Speeds (that measure at 38mm) are a hair faster, so I'd guess that the 38mm Pathfinders are prob on par for speed. My hope is that they last a bit longer, we'll see.
Old 08-21-20, 03:43 PM
kingston 
Jedi Master

Bikes: https://stinkston.blogspot.com/p/my-bikes.html

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1759 Post(s)
Liked 488 Times in 313 Posts
Originally Posted by GrainBrain
I've been meaning to ask if you have a separate thread on these or could recommend one. I've been giving a hard look at the Barlow Pass TC (700cx38mm). Are there any long term reviews on the differences between the three "grades", ExtraLight - Standard - Endurance? What version would work the best setup tubeless and ridden on "Midwest" gravel - quarried limestone rock under 7/8" aggregate without much sharp edges.

Then I've also been looking at Rene Herse's knobby version of the Barlow, I wonder how they wear?
If you're treating yourself to RH tires, get the EL casing. Otherwise, you might as well just get gravelkings which are nearly the same tire at 1/2 to 1/3 the cost. Also, if you are concerned about wear or longevity, you'll probably be disappointed. RH tires are a super-premium tire. They ride like nothing else, but you pay for it.
Old 11-26-21, 03:39 PM
CentralCoastCA

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
G-One Speed vs the Allround

Originally Posted by bretton007
I have a giant revolt . I am looking for the fastest rolling tire possible . I use the bike 60 percent road and 40 percent hard pack trails . Any recommendations
I have ridden Tubeless G-One Speed for 12,000 miles. I find that the tire is awesome. Mine are 35's and I find that the rear lasts about 2000 miles and the front much longer, but I change my tires before they wear out 100%. BTW I have never has a flat that I know of.... guessing my sealant has solved a few problems I didn't notice. Love the tire and it seems to ride just about as well as any 100% road tire. I am going to give the AllRound a chance to proof itself and will be moving to 38's before my Canadian tour which includes the Kettle Valley Rail Trail - lots of gravel. The G-One speeds performed perfectly on many previous tours which were about 70% road and 30% gravel.
Anyone have some comparisons between the Speed and AllRound to share?

Oregon...
Old 11-27-21, 05:36 PM
dwmckee

Bikes: Co-Motion Cappuccino Tandem,'88 Bob Jackson Touring, Co-Motion Cascadia Touring, Open U.P., Ritchie Titanium Breakaway, Frances Cycles SmallHaul cargo bike. Those are the permanent ones; others wander in and out of the stable occasionally as well.

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 427 Post(s)
Liked 339 Times in 229 Posts
That is what they say on Bikeforums. They are not as bad as their rap. They have a tough tread, and very supple sidewalls - so they ride a LOT better than tires with thick sidewalls. I don't find them bad. I think the reason they have a bad rap is people run them at 120 psi and there is no sidewall flex. Run them at a reasonable pressure, and they are fine. Certainly running the 32mm at 40psi is not a bad ride.
I used to think the Gator Skins were great until I started experimenting with some much better tires like Rene Herse, Challenge and G1s. Have you personally compared the Gator Skins to any of these?

Last edited by dwmckee; 11-27-21 at 08:46 PM.
Likes For dwmckee:
Old 11-28-21, 06:27 AM
veloz

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 48 Posts
I’ve been riding a Giant Revolt Advanced for 6 months. I’ve off-road toured and also raced it on 38mm Gravelking SS. Over 2k miles on my first set and I will buy them again. Fast enough for group road rides and enough tread for rain coated gravel. They set up tubeless easily and 3 small punctures self sealed immediately. I’ve nervously ridden them over babyhead boulder sections and stream crossings with no issues.
Old 11-29-21, 03:09 AM
Fentuz

Bikes: Dahon Jetstream p8 (sold), customized Dahon Helios x10, customzed Dahon Smooth Hound x11,customized Dahon Hammerhead 8.0 d7, Planet X Free Ranger (mullet setup 1x11), Planet X Giovanissimi 20 (1x9), Frog 52 (1x9) and Frog 48 1s

Quoted: 264 Post(s)
Liked 238 Times in 174 Posts
Originally Posted by CentralCoastCA
Anyone have some comparisons between the Speed and AllRound to share?
I read the all around and bite have similar rolling resistance characteristic but bite is better off "sealed surfaces" (tarmac / bitune). I rode bite and ultrabite and while I do not like them, bite is much faster and conformable than ultrabite. I noticed that when going from UK tarmac to a gravel by way, bite seems to roll better of gravel. As I said elsewhere, I prefer race king.
But G-One is really good against punctures. I had 1 puncture only when going on path next to a house being re-roofed and I caught a nail... Race king, 4 punctures in one last week while going through path with thorns...

So for reliability, I'd go G-One knowing that I will be slow and less comfortable.
Old 11-29-21, 10:11 AM
CentralCoastCA

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you for the tips

Thank for all the tips. I will give the G-One Allaround a try.

Originally Posted by Fentuz
So for reliability, I'd go G-One knowing that I will be slow and less comfortable.