Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Prescription Sunglasses recommendation

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Prescription Sunglasses recommendation

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-16, 04:33 PM
Gasser5.2

Bikes: 2016 Trek Domane 5.2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by TimothyH
Oakley did this for me.

They were the only one's willing to do the full wrap I wanted with progressives.

-Tim-
Thanks Tim - good to know.
Old 11-03-16, 06:54 PM
on the path
Señor Blues

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD 10, Breezer Venturi Custom Build, IRO Singlespeed

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Polarized lenses can make reading a GPS difficult at times.
My polarized lenses make reading the display on my car stereo a bit "interesting", but I have no issues whatsoever reading the display on my Garmin Edge while wearing my polarized sunglasses.

A little bit off topic but if your employer offers VSP Vision Care for insurance then take it.... Great insurance. I'm very happy with them.
FWIW, I've had both VSP and Davis Vision for employer supplied vision plans. The benefits for both are somewhat different, but roughly equivalent. However, Davis Vision's customer service is far superior. In fact, Davis Vision has the best customer service I've encountered, ever, and that's saying something.
Old 11-03-16, 07:20 PM
bbattle

Bikes: 2014 Trek Domane 5.2, 1985 Pinarello Treviso, 1990 Gardin Shred, 2006 Bianchi San Jose

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by illusiumd
My doc is saying that my prescription is too strong to get sunglasses that curve too much... but I would like to find a pair that wrap a little and are light. Anyone rec anything good and light and sort of all-purpose?
Oakley. +10000
Old 11-03-16, 07:23 PM
bbattle

Bikes: 2014 Trek Domane 5.2, 1985 Pinarello Treviso, 1990 Gardin Shred, 2006 Bianchi San Jose

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by noodle soup
Doesn't anyone know how to search for information anymore?

https://www.bikeforums.net/road-cycli...neck-pain.html

My eye doctor says they can do the reverse progressive lenses if you want them. No need for Timtak modifications
Old 11-03-16, 07:34 PM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
Originally Posted by bbattle
My eye doctor says they can do the reverse progressive lenses if you want them. No need for Timtak modifications
Shots fired @timtak
Old 11-03-16, 07:42 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Mentioned: 235 Post(s)
Quoted: 6844 Post(s)
Liked 736 Times in 469 Posts
Originally Posted by jeffreythree
You can get similar frames at Walmart under the DVX brand. I have the DVX Vizor frames which are almost identical to the Wiley X Tide frames, and they even say Designed by Wiley X on the inside of one ear piece. Face to face optician with similar to online prices, but you have to be willing to get over the fact you are buying RX sunglasses from Walmart. DVX Eyewear

I bought Titanium FlexOn frames from Walmart and would still go there if my employer didn't change insurance. The doctor at Walmart took care of my eyes for a decade.
Old 11-03-16, 08:36 PM
kydeadhead

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I got the Rudy Rydon with an insert though RudyRx about a year ago and have been quite pleased with them,but I don't think they do progressives. You might be able to get the inserts and have the lenses made locally though.
Old 11-03-16, 09:05 PM
timtak

Bikes: Trek Madone 5.2 SL 2007, Look KG386, R022 Re-framed Azzurri Primo, Felt Z5, Trek F7.3 FX

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 404 Post(s)
Liked 85 Times in 73 Posts
Originally Posted by noodle soup
Shots fired @timtak
I am not sure what "My eye doctor says they can do the reverse progressive lenses if you want them." means but I remain very happy with my glasses. Vain as always, I take the liberty of posting a picture of me sporting them with my daughter.
May and Tim outside Mr. Max Ajisu by Timothy Takemoto, on Flickr
Old 11-03-16, 10:18 PM
MonsterFat

Bikes: Fat City Monster Fat, BMC Roadmachine, Trek Emonda, Trek 2100, Specialized Rockhopper

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Oakley or Oakley. Only Rx sunglasses I will own. IMHO, they are that good.
Old 11-03-16, 10:58 PM
36Oly_Rider

Bikes: Black Beauty; The Lone Ranger; Samsquantch

Quoted: 56 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I have a pair of Oakley Racing Jackets Rx. They are a hair thicker than my regular glasses, but serves me well and I love them. I got them for distant only, but can read my Garmin pretty good. I found them weird at first, but once you're adjusted to them, they're great and they will make them specific to whatever activity you want. I wanted them for all round activity, so I have upper and lower prescription with a central prescription for looking straight for walking or running...The downfall of them is I have to move my head to focus on things in my peripherals. I normally wear progressives, so its nothing new to me.
Old 11-04-16, 05:24 AM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4733 Post(s)
Liked 1,532 Times in 1,003 Posts
Oakley did this for me.

They were the only one's willing to do the full wrap I wanted with progressives.

-Tim-
Originally Posted by MonsterFat
Oakley or Oakley. Only Rx sunglasses I will own. IMHO, they are that good.
So obviously I'm in the wrong place, but a visit to Oakley's site, and a 'View All' in their Prescription selection, doesn't give me any models that look good for cycling? What is the correct link, since the below doesn't seem it?
Men's Prescription Eyewear - Shop Prescription Eyewear For Men | Oakley Rx
Old 11-04-16, 07:55 AM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Bikes: 2018 Rodriguez Custom Fixed Gear, 2017 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2015 Bianchi Pista, 2002 Fuji Robaix

Originally Posted by Sy Reene
So obviously I'm in the wrong place, but a visit to Oakley's site, and a 'View All' in their Prescription selection, doesn't give me any models that look good for cycling? What is the correct link, since the below doesn't seem it?

I don't know about their website but I worked with my local eye doctor and his optician. They had a big Oakley display from which I picked a few and the optician called Oakely to see if they could do what I wanted.

To be clear, I don't have full wrap around lenses or one piece lenses like the Jawbreaker and apologize for using the term "full wrap". The Flak 2.0 glasses I have are more of a semi-wrap. Even so, the third party labs were not able to do the progressive bifocals I wanted with that much lense curve.

-Tim-
Old 11-04-16, 08:16 AM
noodle soup

I have a pair of Rx Radarlocks, but if I were to do it over, I would get Flak2.0 XL frames instead.

Radar locks work well for cycling, but the lens is much more expensive. Flak2,0 XL frames look better for casual use, and work as well as Radarlocks for cycling.

Contact your nearby O-Store or Lens craters if you still want an Rx shield lens.
Old 11-04-16, 11:49 AM
36Oly_Rider

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Yeah, on the Oakley website, it says visit your Authorized Oakley dealer for prescription sunglasses. Lens Crafters is owned by the same parent company as Oakley, so they'll be able to get the lenses direct. I went there when I got mine and they were $400 for transition lenses...if I remember, the regular non-transition lenses were about $350-$380.
Old 11-04-16, 12:10 PM
Sy Reene
Advocatus Diaboli

Bikes: Merlin Cyrene, Nashbar steel CX

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 4733 Post(s)
Liked 1,532 Times in 1,003 Posts
Originally Posted by 36Oly_Rider
Yeah, on the Oakley website, it says visit your Authorized Oakley dealer for prescription sunglasses. Lens Crafters is owned by the same parent company as Oakley, so they'll be able to get the lenses direct. I went there when I got mine and they were $400 for transition lenses...if I remember, the regular non-transition lenses were about $350-$380.
Thanks. I presume all the good stuff like impact resistance is just as built into prescription lenses as the non-prescription variety?
Old 11-04-16, 12:17 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Quoted: 18415 Post(s)
Liked 15,542 Times in 7,329 Posts

IIRC, Rudy Project is the same way. While they offer glasses with a reader strip built in, if you want Rx glasses you have to visit an authorized dealer.

And thanks for that info. about Lens Crafters. I recently got a new Rx and may decide to check them out despite my hesitation about spending a lot on something I may damage or lose.
Old 11-04-16, 04:21 PM
36Oly_Rider

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Thanks. I presume all the good stuff like impact resistance is just as built into prescription lenses as the non-prescription variety?
Yes. Mine have been dropped a few times, covered with mud and grit, and even played beach volleyball in the sand a few times. Pretty much bomb proof, not a scratch on them.
Old 11-04-16, 04:29 PM
36Oly_Rider

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
IIRC, Rudy Project is the same way. While they offer glasses with a reader strip built in, if you want Rx glasses you have to visit an authorized dealer.

And thanks for that info. about Lens Crafters. I recently got a new Rx and may decide to check them out despite my hesitation about spending a lot on something I may damage or lose.
No problem. They do a great job for me and take digital measurements of the eyes so when they're made, they're accurate...I wore them around for a couple days before I actually rode/drove with them on. They said if I wasn't adjusted within a week, they'd have another set made at no cost, but they were perfect.
Old 11-04-16, 07:55 PM
TimothyH
- Soli Deo Gloria -

Re. dropping expensive glasses...

I hold mine with one of those retainer straps which tightens up on the back of the head. Chums, Croakies, Cablz... I forgot the brand.

The one's I have are designed to tear off if they get caught on something for the sake of safety. They hold very well while riding. I don't use mine anywhere except the bike however.

-Tim-
Old 11-04-16, 08:12 PM
noodle soup

I hold mine with one of those retainer straps which tightens up on the back of the head. Chums, Croakies, Cablz... I forgot the brand.

The one's I have are designed to tear off if they get caught on something for the sake of safety. They hold very well while riding. I don't use mine anywhere except the bike however.

-Tim-
In response to taking care of eyewear...

Well designed(properly fitting) frames should never just fall off.

I've had far too many wrecks to talk about, and the couple of times that my eyewear was damaged, they probably saved my eyes from significant damage.

Careless treatment/abuse isn't really an issue for me because I never allow that to happen.

YMMV.
Old 11-04-16, 08:46 PM
36Oly_Rider

Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

-Tim-
The Oakley Racing Jackets hold well with and without the strap. I meant dropping them accidentally...I never had them fall off my face, haha...I should've clarified that.
Old 11-05-16, 08:34 AM
garciawork

Bikes: Mikkelsen custom steel, Santa Cruz Chameleon SS, old trek trainer bike

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Did read the whole thread, but just going to state, I won't be buying non Oakley prescription sunglasses any time soon. If I didn't need prescription, I would likely look elsewhere just to try them out, but you can't beat Oakley lens quality. I have the darkest color available, and it is the first time I can really ride/drive with a lot of sun out. My blue eyes don't handle bright light or glare very well.
Old 11-05-16, 12:17 PM
T Stew

Bikes: All 80s Schwinns: 88Prologue, 88Circuit, 88Ontare, 88KOM, 86SS, 88Tempo, 88V'ger, 80V'ger, 88LeTour, 82LTLuxeMixte, 87 Cimarron, 86H.Sierra, 92Paramount9c

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The Oakley Racing Jackets hold well with and without the strap. I meant dropping them accidentally...I never had them fall off my face, haha...I should've clarified that.
I have the Racing Jackets too, have 2 different Rx lenses (Fire Iridium and the other photochromatic). Also bought a few regular lenses for them for use with contacts but I couldn't get contacts that I was happy with and no longer use them. My head shape is probably different than most but the strap on my Giro helmets slightly interferes, so the glasses are spread open a bit (looser) when I wear a helmet. Even still not a problem, until I look straight down or turn my head to look behind me doing 20+mph... so I usually wear the straps on em cycling. Not the fault of the Oakley but just the way the helmet fits my head (maybe I have a small head). Nice thing the Oakleys come with really nice cases and straps designed for the glasses.

I thought about the full wrap Radar (I think it was) or one of those but didn't like how visible the Rx part was, and the Rx part was actually smaller than the lenses in the Racing Jacket. Additionally the lenses for those models were higher priced and I was thinking about getting a few lenses. The Racing Jacket though are very large and fit almost like goggles, so very good coverage. 2 things I don't like about them. 1, while the plastic frame is ok the paint wears off it easy and my few year old Oakleys have more paint worn off than some 15 year old glasses I have. I do use them a lot though. Also my second complaint is specific to the Fire Iridium lens (and maybe other Iridium lenses) that have a color fade... When looking straight ahead the tint is fine. But when looking off center one lens has a yellow-green tint while the other lens has a more orange tint. Kind strains a bit with the eyes seeing through slightly different tints but it's minor. My review is probably for naught though since I believe the model has been discontinued.

Last edited by T Stew; 11-05-16 at 12:20 PM.
Old 11-05-16, 03:19 PM
allen254

Bikes: Fuji roubaix 1.1

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by illusiumd
My doc is saying that my prescription is too strong to get sunglasses that curve too much... but I would like to find a pair that wrap a little and are light. Anyone rec anything good and light and sort of all-purpose?
I also have really bad eyes couldn't find any that would do it , until Rudy project they have prescription inserts for their glasses look them up I have the Rudy project ryzer xl's. They have an insert that goes behind the glasses. It sucks having bad eyes man I have astigmatism.