Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Fellow Full time student cyclist?? Help

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 11-04-17, 10:23 PM
allen254

Bikes: Fuji roubaix 1.1

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

so I've been going to school full time now and its getting to really hard ride any more or at all I was getting in real good shape but now I hardly ever have time to go out and ride. I used to ride 30 miles a day now I ride maybe 30 miles week and quickly loosing my form and gaining weight after rides I'm usually physically tired and the last thing I want is to open a damn book.

How many people on here are full time student and how do you find time to ride or whats your schedule like??
Old 11-04-17, 11:53 PM
f4rrest
Farmer tan

Bikes: Allez, SuperSix Evo

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2870 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 23 Posts
Maybe don't ride so hard, so that you have energy left to study.

Do you live on campus or commute? Maybe commute by bike is an option.
Old 11-05-17, 03:47 AM
beanbag
S*v* J*sus

Bikes: Fuji Gran Fondo

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Depending on how many classes u take, you may only have time to ride on the weekends.

Else reduce your internet time.
Old 11-05-17, 05:31 AM
kbarch

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 1096 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
How much do you work? Do you commute, and if so, how far? It's been a while since I was in school, but even though I was always "full time," and worked a few hours a week, too, I recall having a TON of discretionary time. I'd imagine your difficulty arises not from lack of time, but scheduling. Maybe you can arrange your schedule so you can take a nap after your ride. I remember one summer in architecture school, after working outside all morning I'd go for a swim for about half an hour, take a quick nap (well, not really a nap - just rest in the sun until I dried out, but that was plenty), get lunch then go to class all afternoon. Maybe I'd get another little nap before dinner, then reading, writing, drawing and such through the evening. What a life!
Old 11-05-17, 05:45 AM
dougphoto

Quoted: 130 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 12 Posts
Just wait until you have a full time job and kids. The most riding I was ever able to do was while I was a grad student. Go out early in the morning, most people I know who work full time leave for rides around 5 or 6 am to get a ride in before work. then some good coffee to get you going again. Naps in the afternoon help as well.Time management is one of the best skills you can learn s a student.
Old 11-05-17, 09:09 AM
rubiksoval

Bikes: bikes

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 2622 Post(s)
Liked 1,429 Times in 711 Posts
As a full time student that also worked part time at a bike shop, I rode 15-20 hours a week, every week.

All about scheduling. I rode 3-4 hours first off in the morning, then classes in the afternoon, and then work after that in the evening (3-4x a week ).

But you sacrifice anything much beyond that. As is always the case.

And agreed with the above. That was a cakewalk compared to having a career and a family. Now I'm lucky if I get 9-10 hours in a week, and that's a big struggle!
Old 11-05-17, 09:59 AM
VRC

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Just give yourself an hour, ride half an hour away and come back. It's just like going to the gym or anything else people do except your workout starts as soon as you get on the bike. Even if you don't have a half hour or more ride to school, you could make a route that ends there. You won't nap when you are actually in class. Then ride home and you'll have the satisfaction of having done your ride.
Old 11-05-17, 08:54 PM
JonnyV

Bikes: 2012 Fuji Altamira 1.0. 2017 Lynskey R250

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 5 Posts
Full time job on 2nd shift. Wife works 1st shift. We have 2 kids; 4 and 1 years old and I'm taking 9 credits per semester. It blows but you just do what you have to do. Cycling has become one of the less important aspects of life but I greatly enjoy the time I do get. Point is, unless you're about to go pro, prioritize.
Old 11-05-17, 11:08 PM
allen254

Bikes: Fuji roubaix 1.1

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
thanks a lot you guys I think time management is key really Im going to have to schedule cycling in I'm sure I can.
Old 11-05-17, 11:31 PM
Doge

Bikes: 1979 Raleigh Team 753

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3377 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 253 Posts
I don't really know how to answer. I could do a lot more time on the bike, but it is not worth it for me, as I like other stuff. My kid can't - he is maximized. I was too at age 19, not now.

I ride 3-4 hours a week, run 3 hours. I'm late 50s. It is rec and fun to breath the air and I do it with my wife, who is one of the most talented athletes I ever met.

My son is in college, the military and if the girl interest does not get in the way manages about 8 hours a week.
It is a significant hit on his level of competitiveness not to have more time as he did in high school. Just that, that is the way it is.
Soon, he may have to give up road, as at his level, 8 hours is not enough to compete in his category.

It is all a bit of a bummer, but also a choice.
Old 11-06-17, 02:06 AM
raisinberry777

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
I like to do it very first thing as soon as I get up in the morning - middle of the day is for classes or whatever else, then nights for study. Just set a time and stick to it, as others have said.
Old 11-06-17, 03:21 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
Originally Posted by allen254
How many people on here are full time student and how do you find time to ride or whats your schedule like??
Employed full time.

Part-time Master's student.

I fit the cycling in wherever I can ... and I've taken up stair climbing at work to build up leg muscles and my cardiovascular system.
Old 11-06-17, 05:39 AM
kingston 
Jedi Master

Bikes: https://stinkston.blogspot.com/p/my-bikes.html

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1759 Post(s)
Liked 488 Times in 313 Posts
You won't have as much free time as you do in college until you retire. The the NCAA restricts student-athletes' in-season practice to 20 hours per week and there are tons of things that don't count against that limit. Somehow those student-athletes are able to make the time.
Old 11-06-17, 09:36 AM
bikecrate

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 624 Post(s)
Liked 397 Times in 226 Posts
When I was a grad student I took my bike to school (I had a safe place to store it). I would take a hour or so ride between classes. I also found some showers in the dance department and asked permission to use them so I could clean up after the ride.
Old 11-06-17, 11:10 AM
Retoocs

Quoted: 65 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 34 Posts
Just ride more and let your grades slip. That's what I did.
Old 11-06-17, 02:36 PM
anon`

Bikes: 2011 Cannondale CAAD10-4

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Like many here, I had more time to ride as a student than I have since. Wasn't into cycling as an undergrad, but I was by the time I got to law school. There, I would commute to class by bike (sometimes--maybe four of miles; not far) and to various places (read: breweries) around town. I also joined a team, and raced Tuesday night crits during the season, and would hit up at least one shop ride a week. Beyond that, I could usually find an hour or two on any given day to fit in a proper ride, even if it was just a 20 mile out-and-back down a MUP.

Time management really is key, as it knowing when to give studying a break. It also doesn't hurt if you can finesse your class schedule to give you some nice, long, gaps between classes. It's a lot easier to fit a ride into a two-hour passing, than a one-hour.
Old 11-06-17, 03:32 PM
Abe_Froman

Bikes: Marin Four Corners, 1960's Schwinn Racer in middle of restoration, mid 70s Motobecane Grand Touring, various other heaps.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 9347 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 51 Posts
+1 to the wait till you have a job and family comment above.

I work ~50 hrs a week, and am married with a 3yr old. I had time for just about anything when I was going to school AND working ~15 hrs a week relative to now.

If you really are crunched for time though, start commuting by bike (if you aren't already). If you ARE already commuting by bike, make your commute longer. I find the easiest way to up my weekly miles is to tack on 5 or 10 miles to my 7.5 mile commute.
Old 11-07-17, 12:39 AM
wipekitty
vespertine member

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 687 Post(s)
Liked 220 Times in 163 Posts
Good ideas here: commuting by bike, adding extra miles to the commute, and using breaks between class to get some miles in.

A lot of what you're able to do will depend on your class schedule and other commitments. If you'd prefer to exercise after studying and can get out in the evening, even a slow 10 miles in the dark is better than nothing. If you can bank your classes/studying/other commitments, you might be able to give yourself a day or two off on the weekend (or even during the week) and get in a long ride. Several short rides and 1-2 long rides a week should easily get you into the 100-150 mile/week range.

I was more into running in college, but same idea: study some nights, run other nights, run in between classes, take a long run on weekend days, and sometimes run across town to visit people.
Old 11-07-17, 09:13 AM
bikecrate

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 624 Post(s)
Liked 397 Times in 226 Posts
I just remembered another time saving tip. I would tape an index card of study material to my handlebars, so I could study and ride at the same time. Usually it was Latin verb conjugations.
Old 11-07-17, 10:03 AM
wphamilton

Bikes: Nashbar Road

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 2934 Post(s)
Liked 341 Times in 228 Posts
Not a student but I work full time, desk job, and commute every day so this may be useful. The key is, the time spent commuting is never wasted. I'm not talking about the mental and physical health benefits (I won't deny them either), but two other things.

One, that time is my own and the more full your schedule is, the more you need that. I've never felt any guilt or anxiety about something else I could be doing instead of commuting on a bike, in the ten years that I've been doing it. In a car sure, I hated the waste but on a bike I'm getting there AND having my own time.

Second, I can use that time for work and other projects. I can mentally review a problem, design some high-level pseudo-code, work out algorithms, plan priorities and so on. Or free associate for fresh ideas. Being a student isn't quite the same as software engineer, but mentally reviewing class work or thinking about projects would be similar. You may find that by doing this routinely, you'll actually see a net gain of productive time, giving you more free time in the end.