Search
Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

2018 racing stories

Search this Thread

Old 05-29-18, 08:52 AM
Ygduf
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Bikes: aggressive agreement is what I ride.

Mentioned: 109 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 967 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Nice. Crazy racing, Matt. I don't know how you guys manage that stress.
Old 05-29-18, 08:58 AM
Ygduf
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Ygduf
Mt. Hamilton Stage Race

Stage 1 - circuit, took the KoM (couple points) and took 2nd in the race. 1st in GC.
Stage 2 - Hamilton RR - Gave my teammate the KoM and I won the race, he was 2nd. Should put us equal on the GC or close.

Crit and TT tomorrow. Will try to get him the win in the crit, and I'll probably win the TT. Hopefully he wins GC.

This is a sparse 35s field, so don't get too excited.
Final Tally
2nd in circuit, took KoM.
1st in RR, gave KoM to teammate to get him up in GC.
7th in crit, basically marked and shut the **** out, got teammate points primes and the easy win so he took GC lead. I fell to 3rd in GC, needed to beat 2nd in GC by 2 spots in TT.
1st in TT, re-took 2nd in GC.

Teammate 1st in GC, I was 2nd. As it should be. I declined prizes feeling guilty that I will/probably will have these results scrubbed anyway.
Old 05-29-18, 09:18 AM
AERO63

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ttoc6
Thanks for passing this along. Not attempting to defend my actions or anything. Glad I was able to see what happened from behind because (as I described above) my mental state as to what happened is very different from what I see captured on film (what actually happened).
I shouldn't have put the part about "caused the pileup" in my comment, that was unfair to you. The drift to the right initiated the contact rather than being run into from behind, but the drifting and contact happens in most races so not out of the ordinary, something just happened (one of the guys in black told me a pedal into a wheel) during the leaning and down people go. Glad you guys were all ok.
Old 05-29-18, 10:01 AM
furiousferret

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 842 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 250 Posts
My soldiers are putting in work; too many people did awesome so it would take a cdr level post to congratulate everyone and I'm feeling lazy.
Old 05-29-18, 07:51 PM
Ttoc6
Cat 2

Bikes: Tarmac, Why Cycles R+, Evil The Calling

Mentioned: 91 Post(s)
Quoted: 605 Post(s)
Liked 194 Times in 87 Posts
Re: the crash.

Yeah I'm the dude with the big ass in blue and orange.
Yes, I stuck my hands up after the crash. Looks stupid, but the number of times I've seen people plot into dudes just sitting in the street is absurd. Hopefully this gets attention and also lets others know I'm not standing up quite yet.
Thanks for the clarifcation @AERO63. Didn't think you were trying to blame me, just didn't want to provoke any sort of argument online. If anyone has beef, they can come talk in person and we can figure it out there. (Also, if you race for z5 with billy, please let him know doing IAB in the pack in a no-no. I asked him 2 or three times during the race and still saw it at the end of the race. Love Billy R, super nice guy, but c'mon.)
Old 05-30-18, 05:51 AM
Yep
no cat contains

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 142 Times in 75 Posts
Final Tally
2nd in circuit, took KoM.
1st in RR, gave KoM to teammate to get him up in GC.
7th in crit, basically marked and shut the **** out, got teammate points primes and the easy win so he took GC lead. I fell to 3rd in GC, needed to beat 2nd in GC by 2 spots in TT.
1st in TT, re-took 2nd in GC.

Teammate 1st in GC, I was 2nd. As it should be. I declined prizes feeling guilty that I will/probably will have these results scrubbed anyway.
What's the story?
Old 05-30-18, 08:57 AM
Ygduf
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Yep
What's the story?
Did too well in a race, got tested. Likely positive for THC.
Old 05-30-18, 09:50 AM
Yep
no cat contains

Quoted: 57 Post(s)
Liked 142 Times in 75 Posts
Did too well in a race, got tested. Likely positive for THC.
Ugh, never crossed my mind that THC would be banned. How long is the potential sanction?
Old 05-30-18, 12:28 PM
Ygduf
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Yep
Ugh, never crossed my mind that THC would be banned. How long is the potential sanction?
Continuum is like a warning all the way to 9 months. I expect they will offer me three, and I'll ask for the three to start from the date of the test. Not entirely sure if that'll work, but if it does I should be about able to race again by the time I know if I failed.
Old 05-30-18, 12:56 PM
MDcatV

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Continuum is like a warning all the way to 9 months. I expect they will offer me three, and I'll ask for the three to start from the date of the test. Not entirely sure if that'll work, but if it does I should be about able to race again by the time I know if I failed.
did you include THC in your pre-test declarations?
Old 05-30-18, 03:21 PM
Ygduf
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by MDcatV
did you include THC in your pre-test declarations?
I did not, but the instructions weren't terribly clear with like 4 of us all sitting in a tiny tent with zero privacy. Think I should have?
Old 05-30-18, 06:04 PM
MDcatV

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I did not, but the instructions weren't terribly clear with like 4 of us all sitting in a tiny tent with zero privacy. Think I should have?
I'm not really sure whether you should have or not as I'm not sure if self reporting = auto punishment. Totally understand the setting, I was tested once after a crit on a super hot/humid day. I had a skin suit on and remember the usada guy asking me if i had ID, I was like, there's a name decal on my bike. I was naive enough to offer to go to my car to get my license and he nearly tackled me. peeing with a skin suit on and a gawker while totally dehydrated was, uh, memorable.

Good luck with this, I hope it turns out to be a non-issue. if THC was a PED, I would have had a pro contract in the early '90s, haha.
Old 05-30-18, 06:43 PM
aaronmcd

Bikes: Cervelo S5, Marin Gestalt X11

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Quoted: 554 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 45 Posts
I've wondered if they even do anything for a THC positive. Seems it would happen too often if they enforced that especially in CA.
Old 05-30-18, 07:20 PM
Ygduf
¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by MDcatV
I'm not really sure whether you should have or not as I'm not sure if self reporting = auto punishment. Totally understand the setting, I was tested once after a crit on a super hot/humid day. I had a skin suit on and remember the usada guy asking me if i had ID, I was like, there's a name decal on my bike. I was naive enough to offer to go to my car to get my license and he nearly tackled me. peeing with a skin suit on and a gawker while totally dehydrated was, uh, memorable.

Good luck with this, I hope it turns out to be a non-issue. if THC was a PED, I would have had a pro contract in the early '90s, haha.
the self-reporting a banned substance also came to mind. why bring it up if there's any chance I test negative by some miracle?

It'll be fine. I'll just need to decide after my time is up if I like racing or sleeping more next season.
Old 06-02-18, 07:24 AM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked 752 Times in 342 Posts
Back to it, right? Whiteface. My go to hill climb. Back to defend my age group win and try to crack top 5 overall. A hellacious T-storm rolled through an hour or less before the race. Managed to get a warm up in despite the 120% humidity and 80 degree temps. To add insult to injury as the national anthem played the clouds parted and the sun hit full bake. 5:30 start a good idea, yeah?

Gun.

Go.

Race starts with three miles of flat to downhill before hitting the 8 mile climb.

1 mile in I flat.

Hold my hand up. **** myself a little afraid I'm going to get run down. Manage to stop safely.

Stand on the side of the road.

WTF

Wait for the caravan and police and ambulances to roll through. Finally find sag. Get a ride back to the lodge. Change wheels. Realize 20 minutes have passed. Notice another t-storm will roll through sooner or later. And that someone I don't know very well is on top with my bag of clothes, and will be looking for me. Executive functioning kicks in (the part stunted by bashing my head into the earth repeatedly) and I drive(in cleats - note - executive functioning not all there) to the base of the climb. I ride as hard as I can to get the workout in. Pass loads of people. Summit. Make sure not to cross timing mat. Check winning times. Find my ride down just in time for the skies to open like all get out. Get ride to car. Head back to the house. No sense in kicking around awards which will undoubtedly go on all night as they try and sort through it.

So it goes. Not exactly an auspicious return though.
Old 06-02-18, 09:34 AM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1340 Post(s)
Liked 2,482 Times in 1,457 Posts
Originally Posted by aaronmcd
I've wondered if they even do anything for a THC positive. Seems it would happen too often if they enforced that especially in CA.
https://www.usada.org/jay-henderson-...ping-sanction/

"Athletes are advised that the use of a substance or medication out-of-competition, that is prohibited only in-competition, may result in an anti-doping rule violation if the prohibited substance is still present in their body when tested at a competition. USADA cannot predict the clearance time for any substance for any particular individual. If an athlete needs to therapeutically use a substance prohibited in-competition and they are nearing a competition, they are strongly encouraged to contact USADA to learn if they need a Therapeutic Use Exemption (TUE)."
Old 06-02-18, 02:41 PM
kbarch

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 1096 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by gsteinb
Back to it, right? Whiteface. My go to hill climb. Back to defend my age group win and try to crack top 5 overall. A hellacious T-storm rolled through an hour or less before the race. Managed to get a warm up in despite the 120% humidity and 80 degree temps. To add insult to injury as the national anthem played the clouds parted and the sun hit full bake. 5:30 start a good idea, yeah?

Gun.

Go.

Race starts with three miles of flat to downhill before hitting the 8 mile climb.

1 mile in I flat.

Hold my hand up. **** myself a little afraid I'm going to get run down. Manage to stop safely.

Stand on the side of the road.

WTF

Wait for the caravan and police and ambulances to roll through. Finally find sag. Get a ride back to the lodge. Change wheels. Realize 20 minutes have passed. Notice another t-storm will roll through sooner or later. And that someone I don't know very well is on top with my bag of clothes, and will be looking for me. Executive functioning kicks in (the part stunted by bashing my head into the earth repeatedly) and I drive(in cleats - note - executive functioning not all there) to the base of the climb. I ride as hard as I can to get the workout in. Pass loads of people. Summit. Make sure not to cross timing mat. Check winning times. Find my ride down just in time for the skies to open like all get out. Get ride to car. Head back to the house. No sense in kicking around awards which will undoubtedly go on all night as they try and sort through it.

So it goes. Not exactly an auspicious return though.
You must be the guy who zipped past us slackers (who finished during the deluge) about 2/3 of the way up.... Was wondering what that was about.
Old 06-02-18, 03:26 PM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

Originally Posted by kbarch
You must be the guy who zipped past us slackers (who finished during the deluge) about 2/3 of the way up.... Was wondering what that was about.
Yeah, probably me. Just combed through the results and my last year's time would have been top 5.

Ping me if you're ever up there again. I have a house near the base of the climb and am up riding all the time.
Old 06-02-18, 05:26 PM
Heathpack 
Has a magic bike

Bikes: 2018 Scott Spark, 2015 Fuji Norcom Straight, 2014 BMC GF01, 2013 Trek Madone

Mentioned: 699 Post(s)
Quoted: 4456 Post(s)
Liked 425 Times in 157 Posts
Successfully defended the State TT Championship today, Women’s 50-54 age group.

Beat the State RR Champion (who took second place) by 3.5 minutes.

Slow conditions today, not fun. Wind shift such that 75% of race was into the wind. Fortunately not much wind until the end. The final leg was hot, uphill, headwind. I was sitting on a really good time going into that leg, looked like I’d PR it. But then it all fell apart- cramping, hot, uncomfortable. I just wanted to sit up and break aero position but I figured if I was gonna have sucky power the least I could do is stay aero. So I stuck it out. Not the greatest time but everyone was slower today than last year, it was actually ok.

Teammate won the men’s 35-39, and friends won women’s 45-49, 55-59 and cat 4 races. Well done everybody.

Im gonna attempt to qualify for next years National Senior Games TTs on Tues and Wed. Aerotesting Wed at the track after the race. Then I head to the mountains on the new mtb to start deconstructing a 50k mtb fondo route that I’ll maybe make a stab at doing in September.

Old 06-02-18, 08:23 PM
furiousferret

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 842 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 250 Posts
Grats @Heathpack! Awesome you could win it after all those scheduling issues earlier in the year.
Old 06-02-18, 09:09 PM
aaronmcd

Bikes: Cervelo S5, Marin Gestalt X11

Quoted: 554 Post(s)
Liked 65 Times in 45 Posts
New for me 72 mile road race today cuz every year its cancelled due to low prereg. There were 11of us. The most optimal number for upgrade purposes, but I started feeling nauseous 30 miles in, and near the end of the second lap (of 4), after the gravel and a steep short climb I just cracked. Felt great at the start but something wasn't right, maybe not enough sleep or not enough riding lately or who knows what. I was actually working, as one has to in such a small field. And I don't usually work so hard while racing so maybe it was just too many matches too close together.

Its amazing how hard I crack when I do. Its like zone 2 for 20 minutes. Like my last match burns up and then its all over. We weren't going fast on average (only 22 over rolling terrain with slight wind) but still couldn't push hard enough to have a shot of catching back on.
Old 06-03-18, 04:25 AM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

Originally Posted by Heathpack

Beat the State RR Champion (who took second place) by 3.5 minutes.

Slow conditions today, not fun. Wind shift such that 75% of race was into the wind. Fortunately not much wind until the end. The final leg was hot, uphill, headwind. I was sitting on a really good time going into that leg, looked like I’d PR it. But then it all fell apart- cramping, hot, uncomfortable. I just wanted to sit up and break aero position but I figured if I was gonna have sucky power the least I could do is stay aero. So I stuck it out. Not the greatest time but everyone was slower today than last year, it was actually ok.

Teammate won the men’s 35-39, and friends won women’s 45-49, 55-59 and cat 4 races. Well done everybody.

Im gonna attempt to qualify for next years National Senior Games TTs on Tues and Wed. Aerotesting Wed at the track after the race. Then I head to the mountains on the new mtb to start deconstructing a 50k mtb fondo route that I’ll maybe make a stab at doing in September.

Congratulations.
Old 06-03-18, 04:59 AM
aplcr0331
Hear myself getting fat

Bikes: Sir Velo A Sparrow

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 335 Post(s)
Liked 265 Times in 134 Posts
Anothe Crit. Three jumped from the gun and stayed out for the whole race. Two of the guys out front had another 10! teammates in the group. I tried bringing them back but not many others really wanted to work.

Easily my toughest race and it was only 45 minutes. Another guy went off on the last lap and I bridge to him thinking we might get 4th and 5th but of course we got caught and swarmed in the last turn and me being a tubby noob with no sprint...

... I ended up probably 35th out of 40.

It it was a fun race trying to catch the guys off the front. Frustrating with this big team they keep poaching strong riders and have twice as many guys in every race as the other teams. Lots of guys to block and do weak “pulls” which is great tactics but I can see it getting frustrating after a while.

Still learning, and my fitness (even though improved) needs some work to stay up with the strong group.

And, like the **** that I am I didn’t start the GoPro and didn’t start the Bolt until 3 laps in.

All in all it it was fun.

Last edited by aplcr0331; 06-03-18 at 05:03 AM.
Old 06-03-18, 08:11 AM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1340 Post(s)
Liked 2,482 Times in 1,457 Posts
@Heathpack Congrats on your 2nd in a row District State ITT Championship. Winning back to back championships is undeniable.
Old 06-03-18, 09:31 AM
ntnyln

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 153 Times in 72 Posts
Originally Posted by Heathpack
Impressive! Congrats.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.