Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Tern Link - Catastrophic failure of Frame Hinge Bolt

Search
Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Tern Link - Catastrophic failure of Frame Hinge Bolt

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-18, 03:21 PM
saltdeancyclist

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
is this a kit I can buy?
I just bought a used Tern Link D8 and find the hinge bolt is sheared!
Old 10-24-18, 05:43 PM
rhenning

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 380 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 80 Posts
I believe you have to go theough a dealer to get the repair kit. You may have to let the dealer install the kit for recall reasons. Roger
Old 10-24-18, 05:57 PM
tds101 
55+ Club,...

Bikes: 9+,...

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1114 Post(s)
Liked 848 Times in 592 Posts
Originally Posted by saltdeancyclist
is this a kit I can buy?
I just bought a used Tern Link D8 and find the hinge bolt is sheared!
You need to take it to a Tern dealer,...DO NOT ATTEMPT TO REPAIR AND RIDE THE BIKE!!!
Old 10-26-18, 10:38 AM
downtube

Bikes: Many Downtube Folders :)

Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 17 Posts
I recall reading that this can cause a frame failure...even after repair. Does anyone recall this stuff??? I think Mark Bickerton was a reference...not sure.

Thanks
Yan
Semi-active chess player ( two time Bahamas National Champion )
Sivananda ( Bahamas ) Trained Yoga instructor ( 2013 ) and ThetaHealer since 2013
Bicycle delivery worker for Jimmy John's. Delivering is the best workout I have ever had.
Old 10-26-18, 06:42 PM
Kabuto

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 174 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 54 Posts
Originally Posted by downtube
I recall reading that this can cause a frame failure...even after repair. Does anyone recall this stuff??? I think Mark Bickerton was a reference...not sure.

Thanks
Yan
You're not sure, but you'll throw the FUD out there anyway. I guess all's fair in love and war... and business competition, eh

AFAIK there's two types of frame failures:

* frame cracking around the weld at the frame joint > rectified with a beefed up frame around the frame joint
* hinge bolt shearing > rectified by changing from a two bolt to single bolt design

Hopefully Mark Bickerton will see these posts and clear up any residual FUD for us.
Old 10-26-18, 08:44 PM
dahoneezz

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
Post #174 by masch

Tern only provides warranty for original buyer.

Maybe this is standard for the bicycle industry.
Old 10-27-18, 04:34 PM
downtube

Originally Posted by Technician
AFAIK it's the later generation of Tern frames that use a single hinge bolt, the twin bolts were the cause of early failures hence the change to one bolt.
What happens when the FUD is real?

I was contacted by a Tern dealer that knew of the bolt failure causing the frame failures.

Thanks
Yan
Sivananda ( Bahamas ) Trained Yoga instructor ( 2013 ) and ThetaHealer since 2013
Bicycle delivery worker for Jimmy John's. Delivering is the best workout I have ever had.
Old 10-28-18, 01:58 AM
tds101 
55+ Club,...

Originally Posted by jonmanjiro
You're not sure, but you'll throw the FUD out there anyway. I guess all's fair in love and war... and business competition, eh

AFAIK there's two types of frame failures:

* frame cracking around the weld at the frame joint > rectified with a beefed up frame around the frame joint
* hinge bolt shearing > rectified by changing from a two bolt to single bolt design

Hopefully Mark Bickerton will see these posts and clear up any residual FUD for us.
Too bad damaged goods are still being sold out there, even after the "problems" were rectified. Tern's reputation is still crap,...and I'm a TernJoeP24 owner.
Old 10-29-18, 03:50 AM
Mark Bickerton

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi All,
I see my name appearing again as a helpful contact! (Yes, I still believe in old fashioned customer service!)
Here is my advice.
Tern have comprehensive and robust processes for fully dealing with these issues.
If it is a service issue, please contact your supplying retailer.
This is also true of warranty and recall issues.
You can find out a lot more here:
for normal service issues: https://www.ternbicycles.com/support
for recall issues: https://www.ternbicycles.com/support/product-alerts
If for any reason you find that the normal process is not working for you, you can email contact Tern directly though this link:
https://www.ternbicycles.com/contact

Best wishes,

Mark Bickerton Cyclemotion

UK Representation - Tern Bicycles

P.S. As a last resort if you are not getting anywhere with a bona-fide issue, you are welcome to contact me directly through this forum.
Old 10-29-18, 09:20 AM
downtube

Originally Posted by Mark Bickerton
Hi All,
I see my name appearing again as a helpful contact! (Yes, I still believe in old fashioned customer service!)
Here is my advice.
Tern have comprehensive and robust processes for fully dealing with these issues.
If it is a service issue, please contact your supplying retailer.
This is also true of warranty and recall issues.
You can find out a lot more here:
for normal service issues: https://www.ternbicycles.com/support
for recall issues: https://www.ternbicycles.com/support/product-alerts
If for any reason you find that the normal process is not working for you, you can email contact Tern directly though this link:
https://www.ternbicycles.com/contact

Best wishes,

Mark Bickerton Cyclemotion

UK Representation - Tern Bicycles

P.S. As a last resort if you are not getting anywhere with a bona-fide issue, you are welcome to contact me directly through this forum.
Mark,

Is there a connection between the hinge failures and the frame failures?

Has Tern diagnosed the cause of frame failures from multiple factories?

Thanks
Yan
Old 10-31-18, 08:23 AM
downtube

Mark,

Is there a connection between the hinge failures and the frame failures?

Has Tern diagnosed the cause of frame failures from multiple factories?

Thanks
Yan
Tern started with a recall. Then it went to two, then that was extended ( so it's really three ). Frames are still failing after three recalls. They don't have the serial number of recalled bikes defined...you need to contact them. This is just shady. Given all the shady behavior I would not be surprised if they added serial #'s to the list of recalled bikes after they learn of a failure. Why else would they not publicly define the serial #'s that are recalled?

As of today they have never diagnosed the problem, nor provided their solution. Many people have asked and all we get is silence....for years. Many customers ride these bikes in fear of becoming another statistic. All the while they claim they provide "great customer service" a direct quote from Mr. Bickerton.

This is so comically ridiculous....I don't know where to start. I guess the "bee in my bonnet must be buzzing". ( this is another quote from Mr. Bickerton )

Thanks,
Yan
Old 11-05-18, 03:52 AM
saltdeancyclist

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
doomtube

I have no affiliation to Tern, I just like the bikes. But I feel I could develop a loyalty to the brand under this heavy fire from Yan. "The British love an underdog"!
Just to remind him and bring this back down to earth; my post was not about another recent frame failure. It was about the discovery of a sheared hinge bolt on a worn-out old bike. Equally, the chain could bend in all directions, the rear cassette was missing teeth and the rims were worn. It was sold as being in poor condition. Universal advice to people buying any folding bike is that the hinge takes a lot of strain and should be checked regularly. Tern have modified the hinge and hopefully this will make them as good as any other. I feel safe on my Verge P18 with replacement frame and would hesitate to buy a Downtube, having had a glimpse of the personality behind the business. Just sayin! That is to say; this is a personal opinion, his bikes may be fantastic. I'm going to disengage from this thread now and get on with enjoying the ride.

Tern started with a recall. Then it went to two, then that was extended ( so it's really three ). Frames are still failing after three recalls. They don't have the serial number of recalled bikes defined...you need to contact them. This is just shady. Given all the shady behavior I would not be surprised if they added serial #'s to the list of recalled bikes after they learn of a failure. Why else would they not publicly define the serial #'s that are recalled?

As of today they have never diagnosed the problem, nor provided their solution. Many people have asked and all we get is silence....for years. Many customers ride these bikes in fear of becoming another statistic. All the while they claim they provide "great customer service" a direct quote from Mr. Bickerton.

This is so comically ridiculous....I don't know where to start. I guess the "bee in my bonnet must be buzzing". ( this is another quote from Mr. Bickerton )

Thanks,
Yan
Old 11-05-18, 01:48 PM
wesgreen

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked 37 Times in 29 Posts
I'm not going to miss you. Thanks to Yan for standing up for riders.
Old 11-05-18, 11:41 PM
tds101 
55+ Club,...

I have no affiliation to Tern, I just like the bikes. But I feel I could develop a loyalty to the brand under this heavy fire from Yan. "The British love an underdog"!
Just to remind him and bring this back down to earth; my post was not about another recent frame failure. It was about the discovery of a sheared hinge bolt on a worn-out old bike. Equally, the chain could bend in all directions, the rear cassette was missing teeth and the rims were worn. It was sold as being in poor condition. Universal advice to people buying any folding bike is that the hinge takes a lot of strain and should be checked regularly. Tern have modified the hinge and hopefully this will make them as good as any other. I feel safe on my Verge P18 with replacement frame and would hesitate to buy a Downtube, having had a glimpse of the personality behind the business. Just sayin! That is to say; this is a personal opinion, his bikes may be fantastic. I'm going to disengage from this thread now and get on with enjoying the ride.
​​​​​​Better have good insurance,...
Old 11-06-18, 01:55 AM
BromptonINrio
Stardust

Bikes: Dahon Curve Sturmey Archer Srf8; Brompton Sturmey Archer Srf8; Brompton M6r

Quoted: 161 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 28 Posts
Loyalty to Tern os something unheard off...
Old 11-11-18, 05:44 AM
jollynut

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The hinge thread removal instructions on this thread are really helpful. Could have done with that a few years ago.
Old 11-11-18, 09:42 AM
tcs
Palmer

Bikes: Mike Melton custom, Alex Moulton AM, Dahon Curl

Mentioned: 37 Post(s)
Quoted: 1668 Post(s)
Liked 1,821 Times in 1,059 Posts
I have no affiliation to Tern, I just like the bikes. But I feel I could develop a loyalty to the brand...(I) would hesitate to buy a Downtube, having had a glimpse of the personality behind the business.
You only have three posts on this board, so we'll cut you some slack. I'll tell you those of us who have been around have more than glimpsed the personalities behind Tern. Tern was created by a small group of Dahon employees who set their company up while they were drawing Dahon salaries and went out the door with a Dahon 'Rolodex' and a bunch of Dahon blueprints. As they left, they locked their old employer out of their own website - nice guys, huh? They subsequently got a Baltic states patent on a bike Dahon had developed and had been building for a year, and used that patent to get a temporary injunction against Dahon from continuing to sell that model in the EU. The lawsuit settlement between Dahon and Tern was never made public, but industry observers and folding bike fans noted Dahon seemed to walk away with everything they wanted. Then there were the infamous frame failures - both an engineering and customer service debacle! Oh, and do you know about the totally bogus 'patent infringement' lawsuits Terns has filed on other folding bike companies, including Downtube? Probably not. Yan posted links to the actual court filings, and they didn't make Tern look so wonderful.

Anyway, glad you like your Tern, and hope you get years of enjoyable (and safe) service from it.
Old 11-11-18, 04:37 PM
PTLFHG

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Tern front folk failure

My brother purchased a Tern foldable bike and when he rode the bicycle to work the next day, the frame of the bicycle collapsed causing him to fall. As a result, my brother sustained a serious brain injury. He had to undergo a craniotomy to remove a blood clot that impaired his cognitive ability and a cranioplasty six months later.

The police conducted metallurgy testing of the front fork and identified that a welded joint was of poor quality and had caused weakness to the joint. The failed welded joint was manually welded and is the primary reason why the fork failed.

It is unthinkable that a bicycle could collapse on the day after the purchase and has changed the life of my brother and his family. He is now unable to work and has to be rehabilitated.
Old 11-12-18, 07:53 AM
Bonzo Banana

Bikes: Muddyfox Evolve 200, Bicycles4u Paris Explorer, Raleigh Twenty Stowaway, Bickerton California, Saracen Xile, Kona Hoss Deluxe, Vertigo Carnaby, Exodus Havoc, Kona Lanai, Revolution Cuillin Sport, Dawes Kingpin, Bickerton, NSU & Elswick Cosmopolitan

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 25 Posts
Originally Posted by PTLFHG
My brother purchased a Tern foldable bike and when he rode the bicycle to work the next day, the frame of the bicycle collapsed causing him to fall. As a result, my brother sustained a serious brain injury. He had to undergo a craniotomy to remove a blood clot that impaired his cognitive ability and a cranioplasty six months later.

The police conducted metallurgy testing of the front fork and identified that a welded joint was of poor quality and had caused weakness to the joint. The failed welded joint was manually welded and is the primary reason why the fork failed.

It is unthinkable that a bicycle could collapse on the day after the purchase and has changed the life of my brother and his family. He is now unable to work and has to be rehabilitated.
That's pretty horrific to say the least. Many frames and forks are manually welded normally by skilled welders. Robot welded frames and forks seems to be more common with high tensile steel for mass produced lower end bikes as there is less customization of basic bikes and steel is easier to automate the welding process. There are bikes that fail on the first ride due to manufacturing quality but these are normally extremely rare it's when you get a more significant percentage of failures that the company is forced to offer a recall. I'm sad enough to look at the weld beading on bikes in showrooms to see the overall quality of construction although I accept this is only a very general indicator of quality and doesn't mean a frame is definitely poorly made but you see poor beading on some frames especially children's frames where I believe many welders in factories start before moving to adult frames which require more consistent high quality welds.

Like many western brands who do not manufacture themselves or manufacture very low volumes of frames themselves often they are trying to find the cheapest factory so their bikes remain competitively priced and that process often means some product may come from a lower quality factory at times. Personally I think this leads to a quality lottery on what you are buying so tend to actually prefer brands that either manufacture bikes themselves or wholly import complete bicycles from good quality factories on a long term relationship. Tern to me do not represent a quality product they are more of a lifestyle product, stylish and expensive for what you are getting. Not something I personally would want. The obsession with bicycle weight and keeping costs as low as possible often leads to weak designs in my opinion.
Old 11-12-18, 09:03 AM
dahoneezz

Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
This is new. Failure of the front fork. Perhaps the poster can provide more details. Which model, serial number, location etc. Picture of the bike as well.
Old 02-03-20, 12:05 PM
Duncan Kennedy

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Tern C7 Link Frame Failure

Dear all,

I have found this forum after googling Tern frame failures as I have just experienced one.
On Wednesday 29th January whilst riding my Tern C7 Link (Frame No. AA40517369) which I purchased From Evans Cycles on 17/9/2015, one of the main welds on the frame, the rear weld at the frame hinge, failed catastrophically and the bike ended up in two halves which meant I was thrown on to the road. Thankfully it was a quite road and I was not going fast at the time and I therefore only suffered cuts, grazes and bruises. However, if I had been on in of the busier or faster stretches of my commute it could have been far worse, potentially fatal.

The bike has been used frequently, but has been serviced and no issues with the frame have been reported.
I have never been informed of any recall from either Tern or Evans.

I have Just sent a message to Tern through there website, but see that they have a representative on this forum. Dear M ark Bickerton am I able to contact you directly?
Old 02-03-20, 07:50 PM
wesgreen

Thank you for posting; I'm glad you're ok, relatively! Unfortunately, Tern has proved again and again that skilled marketing and advertising can overcome these never ending reports. It will probably take a criminal trial to eventually take them down.
Old 02-04-20, 11:06 AM
Joe Remi

Bikes: Haibike Sduro Trekking SL, Rivendell Appaloosa, Concinnity singlespeed, KHS mini velo (Japan market), Trident Spike trike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 91 Times in 74 Posts
Originally Posted by wesgreen
Thank you for posting; I'm glad you're ok, relatively! Unfortunately, Tern has proved again and again that skilled marketing and advertising can overcome these never ending reports. It will probably take a criminal trial to eventually take them down.
That company shouldn't be selling bicycles. They're bad at it.
Old 02-04-20, 03:16 PM
wesgreen

Well, the problem is they're great at the selling and PR part, but don't care much about the health of their customers.
Old 02-05-20, 12:17 AM
Joe Remi

Bikes: Haibike Sduro Trekking SL, Rivendell Appaloosa, Concinnity singlespeed, KHS mini velo (Japan market), Trident Spike trike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 653 Post(s)
Liked 91 Times in 74 Posts
Originally Posted by wesgreen
Well, the problem is they're great at the selling and PR part, but don't care much about the health of their customers.
Well, I think my point was clear.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.