Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Let's see your vintage Schwinn Cimarron

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Let's see your vintage Schwinn Cimarron

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-18, 10:22 PM
T Stew

Bikes: All 80s Schwinns: 88Prologue, 88Circuit, 88Ontare, 88KOM, 86SS, 88Tempo, 88V'ger, 80V'ger, 88LeTour, 82LTLuxeMixte, 87 Cimarron, 86H.Sierra, 92Paramount9c

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by mainstreetexile
The Crazy Bars have a lot of sweep back, so you won't need as short of a stem as for drop bars. The long Cimarron top tubes were made with upright bars like those in mind.

If you're looking for a quill with a removeable faceplate, nashbar makes a 1" quill/25.4mm clamp stem in three lengths for cheap. You could buy all three lengths and swap them out easily to see what fits best.

I have not used the Crazy Bars yet but the attraction there for me was to use them like drop bars/bullhorn bars on the tops and horns, with the swept back parts for rough/offroad or just another more relaxing position, so I assume I want the fit more like a drop bar of bullhorn.
I checked nashbar but those are pretty ugly & they don't even have a short offering (I'm considering 70mm or less to be short). I guess the main attraction to me for quill is more classy appearance, but I think some threadless adapters look much better than ugly welded quill. I also failed to mention I'm trying to do this all in polished but I guess black would look ok on the red frame if I decide not to repaint it. The seller did offer to take it back, I did pay way more than I should have for this frame I admit so it is tempting while I keep the hunt for a smaller one, but I've never shipped before seems like such a pain to package and high cost. Wish I had parts ready to go to test the fit.
Old 03-28-18, 12:00 PM
badger_biker 

Bikes: 10 vintage touring machines

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked 126 Times in 66 Posts
Originally Posted by T Stew
Awesome Cims Badger & Cooper!
Thanks. Have you considered trekking bars as an option? This was my first experience and my Cimarron is also larger than what I generally ride. The controls are comfortable for me even with a longer stem. With a shorter stem you could bring them back to about the headset line. Just a thought since I've been really happy with the new bars. My approach to the Cimarron was to set it up for general city riding but after using the bars I would definitely consider them on one of my touring bikes.
Old 04-01-18, 07:59 AM
T Stew

Bikes: All 80s Schwinns: 88Prologue, 88Circuit, 88Ontare, 88KOM, 86SS, 88Tempo, 88V'ger, 80V'ger, 88LeTour, 82LTLuxeMixte, 87 Cimarron, 86H.Sierra, 92Paramount9c

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by badger_biker
Thanks. Have you considered trekking bars as an option? This was my first experience and my Cimarron is also larger than what I generally ride. The controls are comfortable for me even with a longer stem. With a shorter stem you could bring them back to about the headset line. Just a thought since I've been really happy with the new bars. My approach to the Cimarron was to set it up for general city riding but after using the bars I would definitely consider them on one of my touring bikes.
Yeah I have been thinking about them lately, I just have so much going on and a couple other frames I'm wanting to build that I'm not in any kind of rush. The trekking bars do look like they would help, might be worth a shot. Cheap enough to get a pair to try regardless.
Old 05-02-18, 10:05 PM
Chiky

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I know this post is waaay old, but I was wondering if you still had the wheelsets. I live in SoCal also.
Old 11-14-18, 01:15 PM
justinsdrake

Bikes: 85 Schwinn Cimarron, Soma San Marcos, Yuba Mundo e-cargo bike, ratty old hard tail 29er and I stare at my wife's 87 Sequoia that she does not ride

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Looking for some advise. Should I spend the money on new (read used) VO Grand Cru hub (read) and Kasai Dyno (front) and Rhino lite rims and Rat Trap pass tires? About $350 Or should I just stick with the heavy but bomb-proof ACS Hubs and Araya RM 20 rims. Bike just feels really sluggish compared to the other bikes I ride. Maybe I just need to get used to it.

Anyone want to buy the ACS Hubs and RM20 rims to help finance the new goods?
Old 02-16-19, 01:53 PM
dweenk

Bikes: Lots of English 3-speeds, a couple of old road bikes, 3 mountain bikes, 1 hybrid, and a couple of mash-ups

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 887 Post(s)
Liked 335 Times in 225 Posts
Finally found a Cimarron

Completely by accident, I finally found a 1986 Cimarron. I took a found WalMart Mongoose BMX to my LBS this morning as a donation to the local coop. The lead mechanic was the only one around, so we started a long conversation. He had been to the Westminster Bike Swap last Saturday, so I was asking questions about what he had bought and what he had seen. Eventually I asked if he seen a Schwinn Cimarron at the show, and that I had been looking for one for a couple of years. He smiled and said that he had not seen one at the show, but had taken one as a trade back in November. He rolled it out of storage and apologized that he hadn't got around to cleaning or servicing it. Then he said, "I'll give you a deal on it".

A little negotiation took place, and $60 later it was mine. It is filthy, the paint is rough, there are scratches from locks & chains & bike racks, but it is mostly original. As far as I can tell the only non-original parts are pedals, stem, seat, grips, and possibly the seatpost. I went for a test ride and everything works (in a basic sense) but it does need some tuning. It is also a bit on the small side for me (20"), but I do like the ride.

Old 02-16-19, 02:47 PM
dweenk

Bikes: Lots of English 3-speeds, a couple of old road bikes, 3 mountain bikes, 1 hybrid, and a couple of mash-ups

First impressions on the test ride:

1. The chain is too long
2. The FD low limit setting tosses the chain off of the small chainring
3. I didn't try to shift the RD onto the big ring, even though it has a humongous plastic dork disk
Old 02-17-19, 04:06 PM
dweenk

After closer inspection this bike seems to be a mix of '85 and '86 components with a paint color that is not on the spec sheet of either year. It is a Chicago built Schwinn, but I was wondering if the company was using up parts near the close of Chicago. BTW: the headbadge is stamped 1756.

I understand that the Chicago factory closed in 1983, so that would make this a Greenville bike with a Schwinn/Chicago headbadge.

Last edited by dweenk; 02-18-19 at 12:22 PM.
Old 03-25-19, 12:01 PM
dweenk

I have been working on the Cimarron frame, some wet sanding, some brush touch-up, some spray touch-up. I found a decent match to "Schwinn Sunrise Red"; and guess what, it is Testors Red #1203 . It is not exact, but close enough from 5 or 10 feet. I have to wait for the paint to cure and then do a polish with a bit of rubbing compound and auto polish. Photos soon.
Old 03-25-19, 01:21 PM
dweenk

Photos as promised.

The paint matches pretty well. I hope the compounding and polishing blends it with the original. The decals are intact, but gold on light red does not provide much contrast.

Badly backlit, sorry.
Old 03-26-19, 08:01 AM
scale

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 231 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
That is looking great! Nice work.
Old 03-26-19, 10:54 AM
dweenk

Originally Posted by scale
That is looking great! Nice work.
Thanks. I was dancing on the line between "good from 10 feet" and "just sand it down and have it PCed". I am a cheap bastard by nature, so I chose the former path - at least for now. The main problem is that I tend to become impatient at times, and paint requires patience.
Old 03-28-19, 12:36 PM
dweenk

Impatient me decided to polish the three main tubes today. I should have waited longer, but no real damage was done to the paint. The down tube looks great (home of the hardest paint I think). The seat and top tubes look really good, but not like the down tube. After polishing, the paint still retains a bit of orange peel as a testament to my skills, but I'll take the results. Now I have to sit on my hands for a couple of days before touching it again.

BTW: Testors Red #1203 is nearly a perfect match to Schwinn Sunrise Red after it dries.

Last edited by dweenk; 03-28-19 at 12:47 PM.
Old 03-28-19, 04:09 PM
scale

What the hell kind of 1 inch headset nut is that? Looks like it has a cable hanger built in? Or is it some kind of weird cap that goes over the nut?
Old 03-29-19, 10:24 AM
dweenk

What the hell kind of 1 inch headset nut is that? Looks like it has a cable hanger built in? Or is it some kind of weird cap that goes over the nut?
It is a Suntour head binder/cable guide. It slides over the top of the steerer tube above the headset locknut, and is tightened by a 4mm allen bolt.
Old 03-29-19, 11:34 AM
scale

cool. i havent seen one like that before. Post a picture if you get a chance. I like how it appears to fit over the top nut.
Old 03-29-19, 01:17 PM
dweenk

cool. i havent seen one like that before. Post a picture if you get a chance. I like how it appears to fit over the top nut.
Here we go.
Old 03-29-19, 01:26 PM
dweenk

Update on the Cimarron.
It is touched up and nearly ready for assembly. Several parts need attention, but the paint is OK for a budget restore. Here are some photos.
Old 03-30-19, 03:18 PM
dweenk

Here is where I am today. I still have many pieces in an Evaporust bath. I would love to find the proper bolts for A Sun Tour Surperbe seatpost.

Last edited by dweenk; 03-30-19 at 03:24 PM.
Old 04-06-19, 03:39 PM
dweenk

Got the brakes mounted today and fashioned a couple of cable guides for the underside of the bottom bracket shell that was being scored buy the shifter cables.
Old 04-06-19, 07:43 PM
AdventureManCO 
The Huffmeister

Bikes: '79 Trek 938, '86 Jim Merz Allez SE, '90 Miyata 1000, '68 PX-10, '80 PXN-10, '73 Super Course, '87 Guerciotti, '83 Trek 600, '80 Huffy Le Grande

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 1226 Post(s)
Liked 3,548 Times in 1,409 Posts
So, there was one of these near me, but the frame was too big. I don't think it had the original fork. In any case, how do these ride? How is the frame weight? I'm assuming it is more with the lugs/fillet brazing, but I have no idea what tubing is used on these. I've heard a lot of QC issues around alignment with these bikes (and other Schwinns at the time @ MS plant) - has that affected ride quality much?

I'm keeping my eye out for one. They sound interesting!
Old 04-07-19, 11:02 AM
dweenk

Originally Posted by AdventureManCO
So, there was one of these near me, but the frame was too big. I don't think it had the original fork. In any case, how do these ride? How is the frame weight? I'm assuming it is more with the lugs/fillet brazing, but I have no idea what tubing is used on these. I've heard a lot of QC issues around alignment with these bikes (and other Schwinns at the time @ MS plant) - has that affected ride quality much?

I'm keeping my eye out for one. They sound interesting!
I didn't weigh the frame & fork when I had it apart, but fully assembled the weight was 29lb +/-. The bike rides well and tracks well, and has a bit quicker handling than my High Sierra (which has a slightly longer wheelbase and weighs about a pound more). I had heard about rear triangle alignment issues with some of the Greenville bikes, but this one doesn't seem to have that problem.
Old 04-07-19, 08:36 PM
AdventureManCO 
The Huffmeister

Bikes: '79 Trek 938, '86 Jim Merz Allez SE, '90 Miyata 1000, '68 PX-10, '80 PXN-10, '73 Super Course, '87 Guerciotti, '83 Trek 600, '80 Huffy Le Grande

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 1226 Post(s)
Liked 3,548 Times in 1,409 Posts
Originally Posted by dweenk
I didn't weigh the frame & fork when I had it apart, but fully assembled the weight was 29lb +/-. The bike rides well and tracks well, and has a bit quicker handling than my High Sierra (which has a slightly longer wheelbase and weighs about a pound more). I had heard about rear triangle alignment issues with some of the Greenville bikes, but this one doesn't seem to have that problem.
Thanks for your thoughts!
Old 04-11-19, 01:50 PM
dweenk

Nearly finished with my '86

Way better than when I started.

I don't mind Bio-Pace.

VO silver braided cables.

The clamp is ugly with removed rust, but it is original.

At this moment I am lacking straddle cables and a chain for the Cimarron. I took a few photos this afternoon.
Old 04-11-19, 01:54 PM
OTS 

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 152 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 139 Posts
@ dweenk

Your Cim turned out pretty sweet.
Now we need a ride report !

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.