Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

Evil's gravel bike has launched

Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-19, 12:56 PM
gus6464

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 353 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 67 Posts

Chamois Hagar
https://www.evil-bikes.com/a/bikes/chamois-hagar

Pretty much pure mtb geometry and reach on a gravel bike. This thing should just plow through everything offroad.

Also Gee Milner posted a build on it to coincide with the launch. That is one burly frame.
Dream Build
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YK7K4YkCLCs

Last edited by gus6464; 12-16-19 at 01:28 PM.
Old 12-16-19, 01:49 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10947 Post(s)
Liked 7,474 Times in 4,181 Posts
93mm of trail
1x only
dropper post
428 A-C fork

Yup, if I were asked to draw a drop bar bike with modern MTB geometry, this would be it.
I do like having 3 bottle cages in the main triangle. 2 bottle mounts on the top of the down tube has always been an appealing option to me, moreso than the 3rd cage being down by the bottom bracket under the down tube. I get that frame bags need the space where the 2nd bottle would go in the main triangle, but for all who dont ride every day with a frame bag, its a better location for an extra bottle cage because the bottle stays cleaner and is can be accessed while riding.
Old 12-16-19, 01:50 PM
GrainBrain

Bikes: LeMond Zurich, Giant Talon 29er

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1221 Post(s)
Liked 627 Times in 471 Posts
Awesome name, chamois hagar!
Old 12-16-19, 01:52 PM
tyrion

Bikes: Velo Orange Piolet

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 2228 Post(s)
Liked 2,011 Times in 972 Posts
Close to the mountain bike end of the spectrum.
Old 12-16-19, 02:34 PM
tyrion

Tires are on the small side (50mm) compared to other mountainy-gravel bikes.
Old 12-16-19, 05:01 PM
wirelessness

Bikes: Open Cycles WI.DE.

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Spoonrobot
Not with the width of bars they've spec'd. Way too narrow for the stem length and trail.
One cool thing is in the build out section they let you chose different cockpit options. Multiple bar options up to 48cm.

I’d love to try one of these things out. Pretty much exactly the kind of usage I need. Good on the road for getting to the trial head. The good on the fire roads and single tracks.
Old 12-16-19, 07:21 PM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 254 Posts
Originally Posted by wirelessness
One cool thing is in the build out section they let you chose different cockpit options. Multiple bar options up to 48cm.

I’d love to try one of these things out. Pretty much exactly the kind of usage I need. Good on the road for getting to the trial head. The good on the fire roads and single tracks.
Their build options are kind of head scratchers though.

None of the handlebars are that wide or MTB-like though. Nothing Cowchipper or woodchipper like, both the ENVE and the Easton are Cowbell like and very much on the road end....of course the same thing happens in their entire bike builder, there's basically one low-end choice and an uber ENVE high priced option and nothing in between.
Old 12-16-19, 08:49 PM
gus6464

Buy the frame and build it out however you like it. Although frame only builds are not as big of a value proposition vs mtb where there's more competition in drivetrains and brakes.
Old 12-16-19, 09:38 PM
CarloM

Bikes: 2019 TCR Advanced SL1 Disc; 2018 Cervelo S3 SRAM eTap HRD; 2020 Giant Revolt Advanced

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 212 Post(s)
Liked 128 Times in 100 Posts
Hope their next bike is a Diamond Dave.
Likes For CarloM:
Old 12-17-19, 05:27 AM
Gconan

Bikes: Norco search xr

Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked 146 Times in 90 Posts
From the website....
NOEVERLAP
One of the most heinous road traits is toe overlap—turning the front wheel and demolishing your feet. The Chamois Hagar’s Evil-approved front center GUARANTEES Noeverlap—No toe Overlap. How can we GUARANTEE IT? With a 66.8 headtube angle, you WILL NOT hit your feet when you turn the bars. You are now free to turn like you enjoy riding
CUSTOM FORK
Forks designed around 66.8-degree headtubes, 50mm stems, and real reach? Not so much, so we made our own. It’s big, smooth, and predictable with a 57mm offset and a 428mm axle-to-crown
Old 12-17-19, 08:26 AM
Rides4Beer

Bikes: SuperSix Evo | Revolt

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 733 Post(s)
Liked 815 Times in 414 Posts
Originally Posted by Gconan
From the website....
NOEVERLAP
One of the most heinous road traits is toe overlap—turning the front wheel and demolishing your feet. The Chamois Hagar’s Evil-approved front center GUARANTEES Noeverlap—No toe Overlap. How can we GUARANTEE IT? With a 66.8 headtube angle, you WILL NOT hit your feet when you turn the bars. You are now free to turn like you enjoy riding
CUSTOM FORK
Forks designed around 66.8-degree headtubes, 50mm stems, and real reach? Not so much, so we made our own. It’s big, smooth, and predictable with a 57mm offset and a 428mm axle-to-crown
I don't have toe overlap on my Revolt, love it, don't have to think about it, just ride. Is it still a problem on most gravel bikes?
Old 12-17-19, 09:03 AM
HarborBandS
HarborBandS

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 266 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 57 Posts
My 1990's mountain bike was less mountain bike than this thing.
Likes For HarborBandS:
Old 12-17-19, 09:06 AM
HarborBandS
HarborBandS

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 266 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 57 Posts
Originally Posted by Rides4Beer
I don't have toe overlap on my Revolt, love it, don't have to think about it, just ride. Is it still a problem on most gravel bikes?
I've never had a problem with it on ANY bike. Not so "heinous" for me.

I know they make some of the highest regarded mtb bikes out there, but all of the EVIL marketing leaves me cold. I guess I'm too old.
Old 12-17-19, 10:09 AM
Canker

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 330 Post(s)
Liked 209 Times in 133 Posts
I have pretty bad tow overlap on my CX bike but it is somewhat my fault since I have my cleats pushed all the way back towards my heals. Don't really notice it in my road setup with 28mm tires but I do have to watch it running 40s.

Not sure who the market is for this bike but is looks cool.
Old 12-17-19, 10:15 AM
Rides4Beer

Bikes: SuperSix Evo | Revolt

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 733 Post(s)
Liked 815 Times in 414 Posts
Originally Posted by HarborBandS
I've never had a problem with it on ANY bike. Not so "heinous" for me.

I know they make some of the highest regarded mtb bikes out there, but all of the EVIL marketing leaves me cold. I guess I'm too old.
I've had it on my last two road bikes, and it's annoying. Next road bike will not have it, found one with the geo I've been looking for.
Old 12-17-19, 03:45 PM
csrpenfab

Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 99 Times in 57 Posts
Zero overlap on my Niner RDO RLT9, and the head angle is not slack like that Evil. At that price I could buy a carbon Niner and put Di2 on it and still have money in the bank.
Old 12-17-19, 06:53 PM
redlude97

Quoted: 1975 Post(s)
Liked 232 Times in 173 Posts
Since I ride 49-50cm frames I always have toe overlap, not really an issue even on tight cyclocross courses. Certainly wouldn't want to sacrifice snappy handling with such a slack geometry
Old 12-17-19, 08:22 PM
Caliper

Bikes: Many

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 43 Posts
Originally Posted by mstateglfr
93mm of trail
1x only
dropper post
428 A-C fork

Yup, if I were asked to draw a drop bar bike with modern MTB geometry, this would be it.
I do like having 3 bottle cages in the main triangle. 2 bottle mounts on the top of the down tube has always been an appealing option to me, moreso than the 3rd cage being down by the bottom bracket under the down tube. I get that frame bags need the space where the 2nd bottle would go in the main triangle, but for all who dont ride every day with a frame bag, its a better location for an extra bottle cage because the bottle stays cleaner and is can be accessed while riding.
NOT 1x only (see feature 05 on their page) However after some more reading, a 2x setup limits you to a 40mm tire? Not really that great when other companies fit 45-50mm AND both derailleurs...

I had been attracted to the low BB, but guess I'll go back to pondering a Specialized Diverge for N+1
Old 12-17-19, 08:46 PM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Originally Posted by Caliper
NOT 1x only (see feature 05 on their page) However after some more reading, a 2x setup limits you to a 40mm tire? Not really that great when other companies fit 45-50mm AND both derailleurs...

I had been attracted to the low BB, but guess I'll go back to pondering a Specialized Diverge for N+1
Yeah, I see there is an hanger on the initial pics too. I was going off the specs page where they list the min and max chainring sizes and only reference 1x rings.
thata some real limiting tire width for 2x.
Old 12-17-19, 09:53 PM
gus6464

I'm always fascinated when everyone on here say that slack bikes will not have snappy handling. No one ever complains that a mountain bike doesn't have snappy handling and yet the modern ones are slacker and longer and even snappier than the old school ones. Mtbs need to turn on a dime or you can end up planted on a tree or bush. Road and gravel bikes don't require this.

You offset long reach and slacker headtube with a short stem which is what all modern long and slack bikes are designed for. On modern mtbs if you have to use a stem longer than 50mm you size up. Even xc bikes are becoming this way.

This evil was designed as an off-road first and road second kind of gravel bike while most other ones out there are designed to be the opposite. If you are the kind of gravel rider that wants to spend more time on the dirt vs asphalt then this might just be the bike for you.
Old 12-18-19, 08:13 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Originally Posted by gus6464
I'm always fascinated when everyone on here say that slack bikes will not have snappy handling. No one ever complains that a mountain bike doesn't have snappy handling and yet the modern ones are slacker and longer and even snappier than the old school ones. Mtbs need to turn on a dime or you can end up planted on a tree or bush. Road and gravel bikes don't require this.

You offset long reach and slacker headtube with a short stem which is what all modern long and slack bikes are designed for. On modern mtbs if you have to use a stem longer than 50mm you size up. Even xc bikes are becoming this way.

This evil was designed as an off-road first and road second kind of gravel bike while most other ones out there are designed to be the opposite. If you are the kind of gravel rider that wants to spend more time on the dirt vs asphalt then this might just be the bike for you.
My MTB has a 66degree head tube with a 42mm fork rake and 785mm handlebar width, rolling on 2.3" tires. The trail is something absurd like 110mm.
My gravel bike has a 72.5degree head tube with 50mm fork rake and 46mm handlebar width rolling on 43mm tires. The trail is 56-60mm.

I will say that my MTB does not have snappy handling. Most of the MTB around me is flat and twisty river bottom trails. Its like I am trying to navigate an Abrams tank compared to when I ride the same trails with my gravel bike.
This Evil would have 94mm of trail if 50mm tires were used, and that would basically be between my MTB and gravel bike. I could see it being an interesting option for many who dont want/need an MTB bike, but still want to ride some dirt(vs gravel roads).
Old 12-18-19, 09:34 AM
Gconan

Bikes: Norco search xr

Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked 146 Times in 90 Posts
I love the 67.5 degree head angle on my mountain bike, and think I would like this 66.8 on the evil as well. I also like that it would cure the toe overlap that I have on my gravel and road bikes. I would like to buy the frame and transfer parts, but it is way to expensive. I'll have to wait for someone else on down the road to have an inexpensive one later perhaps. I would also like it in steel.
Old 12-18-19, 11:50 AM
gus6464

Originally Posted by Gconan
I love the 67.5 degree head angle on my mountain bike, and think I would like this 66.8 on the evil as well. I also like that it would cure the toe overlap that I have on my gravel and road bikes. I would like to buy the frame and transfer parts, but it is way to expensive. I'll have to wait for someone else on down the road to have an inexpensive one later perhaps. I would also like it in steel.
Wait for the Evil yearly clearance sale. Usually around 40% off or more like the SC and Yeti yearly clearances. That's the only way I was able to get a new Evil Wreckoning enduro frame and build it out with black friday sales. It's costing me $4k to build out an bike that retail would easily cost ~$7k.
Likes For gus6464:
Old 12-18-19, 02:49 PM
mdcoram

Bikes: Merlin Ti, Felt FR3, Trek Fuel EX7, Jamis Sequel

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 11 Posts
I've never felt the need or desire for a dropper post on my gravel bike. Does anyone find it helpful?
Old 12-18-19, 03:01 PM
tyrion

This is a new sub-category, the down-hill gravel bike. Since there are various categories of mountain bike, it's only fair that there be multiple categories of gravel bike.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.