Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Mid fork eyelets for rack on a unicrown MTB fork

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-20, 03:41 PM
scale

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 231 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts

I have an old stumpjumper and want to mount Surly nice rack on the front and use it as a hauler of front bags too and from the store etc.

Do they make pclips for unicrown forks somewhere? I have no fork eyelets. I have tried to use the TUBUS LM1 front rack adapters but they are too small for the size of a unicrown fork.

It think they make some hose clamp style one as well but they are about $24 bucks before shipping. I am wondering if pclips are made big and sturdy enough to work for something like this?
Old 02-15-20, 06:00 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1795 Post(s)
Liked 1,269 Times in 876 Posts
I think the problem will be the taper of the fork.
Any bumps and the weight will want to force the clamps to the smaller part of the taper and loosen.
Old 02-15-20, 06:20 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2747 Post(s)
Liked 3,395 Times in 2,056 Posts
Stay out of the bike shop and go to the home improvement electrical department. CAble clamps come in all sizes. Bent to suit your shape.
Shouldn't slip down if the top is attached as well as the struts.

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Gardner-...1600/202875644
Old 02-15-20, 06:37 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4204 Post(s)
Liked 3,863 Times in 2,311 Posts
Blackburn (and others) use to supple "U" bolts with a flat strip and hardware for mid blade mounts. Very adjustable for blade dimensions and quite effective. Andy
Old 02-15-20, 10:12 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3588 Post(s)
Liked 3,400 Times in 1,934 Posts
The Blackburn "low rider" front racks used to come with U-bolts to secure them to the fork blades. These should be readily available from a hardware store.

Old 02-15-20, 10:18 PM
scale

I will check out the electrical dept tomorrow. Those look promising.

I know vintage blackburn front racks had u bolts that would go around the fork blades. I didnt think they still made those. Seems like those might work good as well if i can find them somewhere.
Old 02-15-20, 10:31 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4204 Post(s)
Liked 3,863 Times in 2,311 Posts
Make sure the rack has a flat plate with enough "meat" to handle the two holes the "U" bolts need. IIRC the Blackburn ones were slightly slimmer then what was common at your hardware store. But for a buck or two for each it's a cheap discovery. Andy
Old 02-16-20, 08:37 AM
scale

Thanks
Im going to take a caliper to my fork and ill take one of my plates with me from the rack..

I dont want to drill or mod the plates. Surly charges $27 for the unicrown mounting kit for these racks which is just 2 metal triangles. Insane. IF i had to do it all over again i would have never bought this rack. Its been more headache than its worth for what i needed.

IF i got the u-bolt route ill probably wrap them in electrical tape or old tube to protect the fork itself. I am almost certain all ubolts on earth are coarse thread but that can be solved with some nylon locking nuts i hope. This bike is going to weight 200lbs before i even get on it

Thanks for the helpful replies and ideas. As always this place always comes through.
Old 02-16-20, 09:02 AM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2747 Post(s)
Liked 3,395 Times in 2,056 Posts
U bolts at the hardware store as well. Worst case for smaller sizes try wire rope clamps and fab your own plate. A good hardware dept will have flat stock in lengths in a couple different materials.
Paint protection - while you're there pick up the diameter of vinyl tube in the diameter you need sold by the foot. Best would be to take the fork in with you to fit sizes.
Old 02-16-20, 08:12 PM
scale

i ended up with some 1 inch rubber lined clamps as shown above. I lined them with 2 more layers of inner tube and it seems pretty firm. I probably could have used 3/4 but i think this will work fine. I might put a metal strap from the rack to the center of the fork crown brake mounting hole too.

Thanks for the help.

Im building this same thing:
https://www.pedalroom.com/bike/1993-...umper-m2-22975

I tried msging this person to see how they mounted it but they never responded.