Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Ride ends with felony

Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Ride ends with felony

Old 02-18-20, 01:57 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,095 Times in 5,053 Posts
Originally Posted by Paul Barnard
Now with that useless exchange out of the way, I'll disagree with part of the disconnected content in your disagreement.

I will say that the video does show a lack of respect for others. I will qualify that by speaking directly to it, not via a tangent. A rider who respected laws and law enforcement would approximate a stop before rolling through a stop sign right in front of an LEO. A respectful rider will be tuned in enough to his surroundings to see an officer signalling to him and respond appropriately. A respectful rider will be tuned in enough to his surroundings to be able to hear and appropriately respond to sirens before the officer is on his wheel.

People who respect the laws, law enforcement and other road users don't bury their heads and plow forth oblivious to their surroundings.

Would you like to disagree with that with a comment about chocolate milkshakes?

I would say that I don't think a cop respectful of the safety needs of his community would have seized on this flimsy excuse to barrell down that road at high speed even with the sirens blaring.
Likes For livedarklions:
Old 02-18-20, 02:10 PM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2133 Post(s)
Liked 1,643 Times in 825 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
I would say that I don't think a cop respectful of the safety needs of his community would have seized on this flimsy excuse to barrell down that road at high speed even with the sirens blaring.
I can agree with that. It ties back in with what I said when I entered this thread. Just a whole lot of stupid going on. Mainly on the side of our public servants.
Likes For Paul Barnard:
Old 02-18-20, 03:09 PM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,527 Times in 1,040 Posts
Originally Posted by Notso_fastLane
If you read the article, it's because the old white people that retired there from the midwest complain about cyclists (probably passing them in their golfcarts).

So it's the Karen's of the world ******g things up again.
Originally Posted by Notso_fastLane
Old white people in retirement communities.
Originally Posted by Paul Barnard
The mods have asked several times to leave race out of this. Do you somehow think their requests don't apply to you?
Apparently not.
Old 02-19-20, 08:59 AM
eduskator

Bikes: SL8 Pro, TCR beater

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 975 Post(s)
Liked 577 Times in 435 Posts
Lots of if, would, should have, could have, here. Also, lots of things we don't know such as:

-Did the cyclists see the 2 cops at all?
-Did they see the cop making a sign to pull over? When he made the sign with his hands, both cyclists were already engaged in the intersection. I don't see the cyclists looking at him in the video nor hear him yelling at them to stop.
I don't know for you, but I am always looking to where I am heading when I ride (or drive my car), not somewhere else
-Did they ignore the cop telling them to pull over on purpose?
-Was the high speed chase with sirens & lights flashing necessary or was it an adrenaline driven power-trip?

-Was the arrest necessary? IMO, a simple warning or a fine for failing to stop at a stop sign would have sufficed...

In their line of work, police officers must make judgment calls pretty quickly, sometimes on the spot. Since there was no health or safety risks, I believe that cop lacked judgment by making this call and putting a cyclist under arrest (without telling him his rights & stating the reason of his arrest). He was most likely in an adrenaline rush. Emotions can override rationality.
Likes For eduskator:
Old 02-19-20, 03:52 PM
Theypeedonmyrug
Banned.

Bikes: 2018 Trek Domain SLR6

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 39 Times in 17 Posts
Originally Posted by Chad991
We dont blame the cyclists at all? We can break laws? That's what's wrong with this country, it is always someone else's fault.... poor law breaker, dam evil cops...please, just like all the rest of the lib whiners...Dont break the law so blatantly in front of a cop, this might not of happened....no **** huh? But let's not blame the poor cyclists
I deplore your analysis. It’s deplorable. And dumb.
Likes For Theypeedonmyrug:
Old 02-20-20, 02:18 AM
SClaraPokeman

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 12 Posts
I watched the video (1x) and because of the (lack) of the quality of the video at the beginning I can't definitively make a judgement as to whether the two "breakaway" riders on the training ride for sure saw the standing cop motioning and calling upon to them to stop and engage with him. It's possible that they didn't see him (or hear him as the rider did have an earbud in), however, I think it's more likely they just didn't think they needed to stop (when I was 18 I was capable of coming to dumb conclusions).

Yeah, the whole incident seems pretty stupid. I don't like the fact when the rider is asked by the cop if he stopped at the sign he responds "Yes" when it was quite clear he didn't even casually "roll it". However, charging him with felony fleeing seems to be a egregious overreach. Cop should have just told him, stop when I tell you to stop and issued him a citation, and unless Florida is like California (which doesn't distinguish fines between autos and bicycles) it isn't likely to have been a really expensive ticket. Even though I think waaaaay too many stop signs are pretty bogus, you simply can't act the way this kid did.
Old 02-20-20, 11:34 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Originally Posted by SClaraPokeman
I watched the video (1x) and because of the (lack) of the quality of the video at the beginning I can't definitively make a judgement as to whether the two "breakaway" riders on the training ride for sure saw the standing cop motioning and calling upon to them to stop and engage with him. It's possible that they didn't see him (or hear him as the rider did have an earbud in), however, I think it's more likely they just didn't think they needed to stop (when I was 18 I was capable of coming to dumb conclusions).

Yeah, the whole incident seems pretty stupid. I don't like the fact when the rider is asked by the cop if he stopped at the sign he responds "Yes" when it was quite clear he didn't even casually "roll it". However, charging him with felony fleeing seems to be a egregious overreach. Cop should have just told him, stop when I tell you to stop and issued him a citation, and unless Florida is like California (which doesn't distinguish fines between autos and bicycles) it isn't likely to have been a really expensive ticket. Even though I think waaaaay too many stop signs are pretty bogus, you simply can't act the way this kid did.

Burden of proof is on the state to prove beyond a reasonable doubt that he intentionally fled, The stuff on the video is so far below that standard that it's absurd they went forward with the felony at all.

There's obviously such a huge distance between the stop sign and when they got pulled over that I wouldn't assume that the 18 year old even knew what stop sign the cop was referring to when the question was asked.
Old 02-20-20, 12:22 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26374 Post(s)
Liked 10,346 Times in 7,189 Posts
...Wolverines !!
Old 02-20-20, 01:08 PM
squirtdad

Bikes: Kirk Custom JK Special, '84 Team Miyata,(dura ace old school) 80?? SR Semi-Pro 600 Arabesque

Mentioned: 106 Post(s)
Quoted: 2336 Post(s)
Liked 2,803 Times in 1,532 Posts
Originally Posted by GreenAnvil
Failure to obey.

If I had a dollar for every fast club ride where all of the alphas blow by stop signs and red lights... And the rest of us do it too so we don’t get dropped.

Where are the cops when you really need them, other than by falling on speed traps or having someone call them on you on some bogus charge? If these cops don’t have anything better to do than to patrol low traffic roads in the middle of nowhere and then channel their boredom induced frustration on some kids out on a cycling training ride I’d say that’s an awful waste of taxpayer dollars.
just because you do it doesn't make it right or safe there are fast lunch rides in my area that have been so disruptful (i.e large groups running reds on busy roads) that communities pushed for enhanced traffic enforcement. this is not good for anyone.

Old 02-21-20, 10:52 AM
Notso_fastLane

Bikes: 2011 Bent TW Elegance 2014 Carbon Strada Velomobile

Quoted: 626 Post(s)
Liked 701 Times in 418 Posts
Originally Posted by squirtdad
just because you do it doesn't make it right or safe there are fast lunch rides in my area that have been so disruptful (i.e large groups running reds on busy roads) that communities pushed for enhanced traffic enforcement. this is not good for anyone.
Sure, and that falls under the category of 'rare exceptions'. This particular case, though, is obviously the other end of the spectrum.
Old 03-01-20, 12:36 PM
DroppedChain
Slow but Steady

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
That is an unnecessary stop sign and IMO a citation trap. The officer overcharged the young man. I will be shocked if the DA prosecutes those charges
Likes For DroppedChain:
Old 03-04-20, 07:23 PM
BengalCat

Bikes: 50/34, 11-40, 11 Speed

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 142 Post(s)
Liked 73 Times in 52 Posts
As I predicted:

March 4, 2020 - Prosecution Waived in Javier LOPEZ AYALA Bicycle Arrest

Today (Mar 4), Assistant State Attorney Jennie Hayes filed a Notice of No Information dismissing the Fleeing or Attempting to Elude (F3), and Resisting an Officer Without Violence (M1) charges stemming from the arrest of Javier LOPEZ AYALA in Oviedo on February 8, 2020, by the Seminole County Sheriff's Office.

Prior to the dismissal of the criminal charges, LOPEZ AYALA resolved a civil traffic citation issued for failing to obey a stop sign arising from the same incident.

https://sa18.org/press/id/577
Likes For BengalCat:
Old 03-05-20, 08:36 PM
BengalCat

Wow. People were lining up to opine on the OP. The posters ranged from reasonable to ranting to trolling about the incident and what it meant--who was to blame, etc.

Now it is officially concluded after due process. The response. The sound of crickets.
Old 03-05-20, 09:12 PM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20791 Post(s)
Liked 9,436 Times in 4,663 Posts
Originally Posted by BengalCat
Wow. People were lining up to opine on the OP. The posters ranged from reasonable to ranting to trolling about the incident and what it meant--who was to blame, etc.

Now it is officially concluded after due process. The response. The sound of crickets.
So.... what, exactly? You see this as some kind of indication that the justice system hunky-dory and that we should all cheer? Gimme a break. The fleeing and resisting charges never should have been levied in the first place. The kid shouldn't have had to spend a day in jail. The kid's dad shouldn't have had to cough up $8000+ to get his kid out of jail. That someone got it right after the fact doesn't change the huge systemic problems like profiling and ensuing overreaction. Dismissing is the least they could do.

Last edited by WhyFi; 03-05-20 at 09:20 PM.
Old 03-05-20, 09:17 PM
Moishe
Banned.

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 44 Posts

Still obtuse, from beginning to end.
Likes For Moishe:
Old 03-06-20, 07:13 AM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2133 Post(s)
Liked 1,643 Times in 825 Posts

It was a horrible waste of time and resources and served to further alienate enforcement from the public they serve. Due process could have been achieved without the associated damage.
Likes For Paul Barnard:
Old 03-06-20, 09:27 AM
Notso_fastLane

Bikes: 2011 Bent TW Elegance 2014 Carbon Strada Velomobile

Quoted: 626 Post(s)
Liked 701 Times in 418 Posts
A shocking outcome.

And by shocking, I of course mean, the only sensible one and what most everyone here predicted.

What's not mentioned in that press release is the ridiculous over reaction by the officer, or any potential 'training' to remedy it.

Then again, there's probably no remedy for being an a-hole.
Likes For Notso_fastLane:
Old 03-07-20, 01:06 PM
CB HI
Cycle Year Round

Quoted: 1316 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 59 Posts
DA lawyer speak for "please do not file a lawsuit for false arrest or discrimination.

No ticket or charges for one cyclist, ticket and arrest for the second cyclist. They deserve a lawsuit under the 14th amendment.
nor deny to any person within its jurisdiction the equal protection of the laws.
Old 03-07-20, 08:57 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

$8000 in legal fees later. It's absolutely a travesty that this man was ever charged with a felony. In this case, the process definitely was the punishment, and completely disproportionate to the "crime."
Old 03-07-20, 09:09 PM
BengalCat

Originally Posted by livedarklions
$8000 in legal fees later. It's absolutely a travesty that this man was ever charged with a felony. In this case, the process definitely was the punishment, and completely disproportionate to the "crime."
I agree with your analysis. It succinctly captures all that happened.

However, the $8000 you mention was bail money and that was either fully refunded directly or indirectly if a bail bondsman put up the bail.
Likes For BengalCat:
Old 03-08-20, 05:33 AM
Moishe
Banned.

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 44 Posts
I agree with your analysis. It succinctly captures all that happened.

However, the $8000 you mention was bail money and that was either fully refunded directly or indirectly if a bail bondsman put up the bail.
Just let it go

Old 03-08-20, 11:13 AM
whitecat

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Weird officers you have there over the pond. It seems to me he didnt have anything smarter to do then badger cyclists. Case over.

It is even completely unnecessary to talk about this. Clearly an issue of "I will make everything I can to you because I feel like it".

But, karmas a bia**h. So if a cargo truck flattens that officer in an freak accident, bet you he is going to ask himself "why me". Also bet you he wont remember what he did to that cyclist.
Old 03-10-20, 03:27 PM
Chistophe516

Bikes: 2003 Specialized Allez

Quoted: 77 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 19 Posts
Originally Posted by bampilot06
When I was a kid and rode bmx, I would ride my bike everywhere and I never thought stop signs applied to me. When I started cycling this year I had the same attitude, and didn’t even realize I was in the wrong. I will say I don’t understand why I would need to come to a stop and un clip when there is no traffic coming from either direction. To me that seems over kill and a waste of my time.
This indirectly reminded me of the town(pop. 500) I moved from in Nov.'2019. In the last couple of years. They put speed bumps in the town. The speed bump that was placed halfway between two intersections. Was smart thinking. But the TWO speed bumps placed at the SAME INTERSECTION. Was absolute idiocy. On the part of the town government. While I have clip-less pedals. I told them. I was not going to get off my bike to walk it around the speed bumps. Because it would have taken longer to go through the intersection. Especially if the school bus or garbage contractor had been behind me. I would have received funny looks.

Last edited by Chistophe516; 04-01-20 at 08:56 PM.
Old 03-13-20, 08:31 AM
AndrewJB

Bikes: FUJI Transonic 2.3; Motobecane LeChampion TI SL; Trek 2.3

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 22 Posts
I was following links and reading through articles regarding this whole debacle, and came across this GoFundMe page for the kids legal expenses...
https://www.gofundme.com/f/teenage-c...ustly-arrested
Likes For AndrewJB:
Old 03-21-20, 05:21 PM
greatscott

Bikes: 1984 Fuji Club, Suntour ARX; 2013 Lynskey Peloton, mostly 105 with Ultegra rear derailleur, Enve 2.0 fork; 2020 Masi Giramondo 700c, full Deore with TRP dual piston mech disk brakes

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 324 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 71 Posts
First of all the cyclist kid was being a jerk. He runs the stop sign, looks at the cop when he calls for him to stop, decides to hell with the cop and keeps going. Then after he gets stops he decides to keep saying FU to the cop, while I don't see much in the way of resisting arrest going on, the kid was being a jackass to law enforcement on top of it, no respect whatsoever for police. Then the kid's father rides up, the kid says FU to the cop a couple of more times while the dad was there, if I was that dad I would have slapped my kid's face talking like that to a cop, but alas parents are weenies these days toward their kids which is why they don't respect authority.

Having said all of that, do I think the cop over reacted...yes I do, and the cop should have made it fair and wrote the other kid up as well, and maybe the whole crowd that rolled up later if they all ran the sign. Do I think the cop should lose his job? no, but maybe a unpaid leave of absence for a week will make him a bit more fairer in the future.

But I also wonder of the cop and that cyclist have some history, it seems like there was too much friction going on between those two to be a one time meeting.

No matter what some you think you have to obey the laws of the road just as any motorist would have to obey the laws UNLESS otherwise stated on a sign or some legal thing happened that allows cyclists to do something that motorists can't do. Obviously in the state where this video took place the law is you have to stop for a stop sign or a traffic light. A lot of you will baitch and complain that motorists hate you, well I'll tell you why they hate us riders is because we fling the vehicle code laws out the window when we ride and act like we're above the law then get all pissy when someone gets mad at us for for our bad actions! I see this everyday while either riding my bike or in my car how cyclist have no regard for the very laws they're suppose to be following. Act like law abiding citizens and maybe we'll have less motorists hating us due to the respect we'll get.
Likes For greatscott:

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.