Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Old Suntour drivetrain shifts poorly

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 07-28-20, 08:01 AM
BCDrums
Recreational Road Cyclist

Bikes: 1990 Peter Mooney road bike

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 255 Post(s)
Liked 252 Times in 134 Posts

Hi Bikers,

I am working on a shifting problem with my wife's beater bike, a 1990 Raleigh Assault mountain bike. It is correctly named, because it assaults its rider. But anyway...

It's a 3x6 Suntour drivetrain. It is 6sp indexed, and I haven't been able to get the rear to shift smoothly from low to high gear. The chain skips from 3 cog to 1 cog, and sometimes from 6 to 4 too. I changed the cable and housing, and thought that the shift lever was worn and skipping the gears, but that didn't solve the problem. It shifts correctly from high to low.

Now I wonder if the rear derailler spring might be worn out, or if it's the freewheel, which appears to be a 14-28. I could replace both, but am loathe to put any more money into this heap than I must. It's the bike my wife likes to ride when she's afraid it might be stolen. I should be so lucky.

The RD has a claw mount. If I need to replace the derailler, is it likely that I could mount a non-claw derailler onto the existing claw?

Thanks for your help.
Old 07-28-20, 08:54 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6178 Post(s)
Liked 4,796 Times in 3,308 Posts
You know the chain is not worn out? Some of the rear cogs might be worn out to.

If it's the DR spring, then maybe a good cleaning and lubing with something light will temporarily fix the issue and maybe show that is what the issue is. No other bike laying around you could do a temporary DR swap to see?
Old 07-28-20, 09:09 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Much said is unseen.. pictures would be quite useful..

I've been using friction shifting on my 3 by 6 drive trains for 30+ years now ...

Old 07-28-20, 09:38 AM
BCDrums

Originally Posted by Iride01
You know the chain is not worn out? Some of the rear cogs might be worn out to.
I hadn't checked the chain, but I just did, chain is well worn. Cogs show some wear.

If it's the DR spring, then maybe a good cleaning and lubing with something light will temporarily fix the issue and maybe show that is what the issue is. No other bike laying around you could do a temporary DR swap to see?
Will try cleaning the RD as you suggest. Cheapest fix first! I'd rather buy an inexpensive Tourney RD orsimilar than take apart a bike that's working for test, but a good suggestion.
Old 07-28-20, 09:40 AM
BCDrums

Originally Posted by fietsbob
Much said is unseen.. pictures would be quite useful..

I've been using friction shifting on my 3 by 6 drive trains for 30+ years now ...
Were it my bike, I'd be fine with friction, but the bride loves that click of an indexed shifter.
Old 07-28-20, 09:47 AM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
Attempt to isolate the issue. Try shifting by pulling on the exposed shift cable to see if the derailleur shifts smoothly. If it shifts OK start looking at the shifter and the cable coming off of it. If not, then try pushing the derailleur by hand (watch your fingers!). When you replaced the cable and housing did you replace the whole housing run, including the loop at the derailleur, which tends to accumulate rust and grit?
Old 07-28-20, 10:18 AM
cpach

Bikes: Too many. Giant Trance X 29, Surly Midnight Special get the most time.

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 532 Post(s)
Liked 312 Times in 236 Posts
It sounds like claw might be bent. If its the kind with a normal derailleur mounting, it can be aligned with a hanger alignment tool.
Old 07-28-20, 10:19 AM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1943 Post(s)
Liked 2,164 Times in 1,323 Posts
IIRC, Suntour thumb shifters had a friction mode. But I doubt that is an issue as the shift lever would move if it is was slipping.

As with others, chain, cogs, RD could be the culprit. Shifting from high to low is done by pulling the cable, low to high is done by RD spring. With a new cable and housing, there should not be any binding, but you might want to make sure it is sliding freely.

John
Old 07-28-20, 11:29 AM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2742 Post(s)
Liked 3,389 Times in 2,052 Posts
Suntour Technical Bulletin #21 "Accushift Problem Solving" in 31 Pages
Old 07-28-20, 12:58 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Originally Posted by BCDrums
Were it my bike, I'd be fine with friction, but the bride loves that click of an indexed shifter.
Time to Buy new components then , new rear wheel build too.( all spare parts are old too..)
cassette freehubs are where the action is , now..
IGH are even easier to use all the gear ratio sequences are in a row.

Maeda group & Suntour, as a brand, went away .. decades ago.
the name has re appeared but just making suspension forks for OEM factory builds..

Last edited by fietsbob; 07-28-20 at 01:13 PM.
Old 07-28-20, 01:08 PM
onsay99

Bikes: 3 road steelys, 3 alu, 1 mtb, 1cx

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 15 Posts
The older suntour accushift rear derailleurs were very sensitive to cable
anchoring position. Since you mentioned chainging the cable and housing
on the rear mech, the cable anchoring point is worth looking at as a
double check.
Old 07-28-20, 01:27 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1787 Post(s)
Liked 1,261 Times in 870 Posts
Originally Posted by BCDrums
Hi Bikers,

I am working on a shifting problem with my wife's beater bike, a 1990 Raleigh Assault mountain bike. It is correctly named, because it assaults its rider. But anyway...

It's a 3x6 Suntour drivetrain. It is 6sp indexed, and I haven't been able to get the rear to shift smoothly from low to high gear. The chain skips from 3 cog to 1 cog, and sometimes from 6 to 4 too. I changed the cable and housing, and thought that the shift lever was worn and skipping the gears, but that didn't solve the problem. It shifts correctly from high to low.

Now I wonder if the rear derailler spring might be worn out, or if it's the freewheel, which appears to be a 14-28. I could replace both, but am loathe to put any more money into this heap than I must. It's the bike my wife likes to ride when she's afraid it might be stolen. I should be so lucky.

The RD has a claw mount. If I need to replace the derailler, is it likely that I could mount a non-claw derailler onto the existing claw?

Thanks for your help.
Which do YOU call "low". The same as the rest of us?

IF it skips 2 when going to a smaller cog (physically), it indicates excessive friction in the cable/housing. You are relying on RDER spring tension to make the shift. Shifting the "other" direction is simply brute force, pulling the cable.
Unless this is a Low Normal RDER.
Old 07-28-20, 01:45 PM
BCDrums

Originally Posted by dsbrantjr
Attempt to isolate the issue. Try shifting by pulling on the exposed shift cable to see if the derailleur shifts smoothly. If it shifts OK start looking at the shifter and the cable coming off of it. If not, then try pushing the derailleur by hand (watch your fingers!). When you replaced the cable and housing did you replace the whole housing run, including the loop at the derailleur, which tends to accumulate rust and grit?
DS,

I did replace the entire cable run with Jagwire housing and a good Shimano cable. I find that I CAN get the chain to shift from 3 to 2 if I pull the exposed cable, or put my thumb on the derailler body. But both the old shifter and the new skip right over 2.
Old 07-28-20, 01:52 PM
BCDrums

Originally Posted by Bill Kapaun
Which do YOU call "low". The same as the rest of us?

IF it skips 2 when going to a smaller cog (physically), it indicates excessive friction in the cable/housing. You are relying on RDER spring tension to make the shift. Shifting the "other" direction is simply brute force, pulling the cable.
Unless this is a Low Normal RDER.
I understand that. I am calling Low the biggest cog (#6) and High the smallest cog (#1). Not low normal. Will re-examine the cable. I do find that I can go from 3 to 2 by moving the derailler body or exposed cable manually.
Old 07-28-20, 02:37 PM
BCDrums

Originally Posted by dedhed
Suntour Technical Bulletin #21 "Accushift Problem Solving" in 31 Pages
Wow, that's a blast from the past. Very informative, too. It addresses my problem, citing misadjustment of High limit. Will experiment. Thanks.
Old 07-28-20, 02:44 PM
BCDrums

Originally Posted by fietsbob
Time to Buy new components then , new rear wheel build too.( all spare parts are old too..)
cassette freehubs are where the action is , now..
IGH are even easier to use all the gear ratio sequences are in a row..
Yikes! If I had to sink $100 into components for this bike, I'd rather buy a used $100 bike!

In checking out some of the tips I have received, I noticed that the teeth on the upper pull are very worn, and were coated with gunk. I cleaned it off, and adjusted the B tension, and got it to work (that is, shift from 3 to 2, not skipping over 2) but it's inconsistent.

As I am reluctant to dump too much money into this bike, I will try @Iride01's suggestion of a thorough derailler cleaning, maybe I'll get lucky.

Old 07-28-20, 02:57 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6178 Post(s)
Liked 4,796 Times in 3,308 Posts
You said your chain is "well worn". If so, then maybe it can't engage the cogs correctly. That can be your shifting issue. And if you've run a worn chain for long, then some of the rear sprockets and chain wheels might be worn too which will also affect how it shifts. So anything else you do might just be a very temporary fix.
Old 07-28-20, 06:55 PM
BCDrums

Originally Posted by Iride01
You said your chain is "well worn". If so, then maybe it can't engage the cogs correctly. That can be your shifting issue. And if you've run a worn chain for long, then some of the rear sprockets and chain wheels might be worn too which will also affect how it shifts. So anything else you do might just be a very temporary fix.
This makes sense. I have worn out cogs before, and these don't seem worn to my eye, but the chain is, as measured.
Old 07-28-20, 07:20 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4195 Post(s)
Liked 3,837 Times in 2,295 Posts
A SunTour equipped bike this old could very well have a replacement freewheel that is Shimano and not ST compatible. There's a reason why ST left the market, add 30 years of age and you have an old system that didn't work best even when perfectly speced. Andy
Old 07-29-20, 07:21 AM
BCDrums

Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
A SunTour equipped bike this old could very well have a replacement freewheel that is Shimano and not ST compatible. There's a reason why ST left the market, add 30 years of age and you have an old system that didn't work best even when perfectly speced. Andy
Andy, I found a page on Sheldon Brown's site that says the Suntour Accushift 6sp freewheel was identical dimension to a "regular" 6sp freewheel. I took "regular" to mean Shimano. But you're right about Suntour.

Sometimes I wish I was perfectly spaced.
Old 07-29-20, 02:18 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
My only bike with Suntour Accushift components is an '89 Centurion Ironman with Suntour GPX 7-speed group. It was tricky getting satisfactory index shifting but switching from the original Suntour chain and freewheel to KMC Z72 chains and SunRace freewheels did the trick. The SunRace MFR30 (13-25) MFM30 (13-28) chromed freewheels are very good and work equally well with Suntour and Shimano groups.

However I haven't tried any 6-speed stuff so I don't know which SunRace freewheel might be comparable.

If you're still using the original Suntour chain, replace it with a decent KMC chain. The Z72 has been renamed, no idea what the current name is. But any compatible chain will be an improvement. I was surprised by how crudely made the original Suntour chain was. Most of the Suntour group was fine but the chain was junk.
Old 07-29-20, 02:40 PM
fietsbob
Banned

2 problems are ... as you said, : 1, Old, & 2, Sun Tour..
Likes For fietsbob:
Old 07-29-20, 03:29 PM
BCDrums

Originally Posted by canklecat
M
If you're still using the original Suntour chain, replace it with a decent KMC chain. The Z72 has been renamed, no idea what the current name is. But any compatible chain will be an improvement. I was surprised by how crudely made the original Suntour chain was. Most of the Suntour group was fine but the chain was junk.
I have ordered a compatible KMC chain from the LBS. Due to COVID protocol, I can’t just drive over and get it. Hoping to have it tomorrow.
Likes For BCDrums:
Old 07-29-20, 03:40 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
My LBS still allows in store shopping, with limits to two or three customers at a time. I visit about once a month just to buy something and show a little support. I usually buy a couple of tubes, maybe some snacks or electrolytes, chain lube, whatever consumable doodads they carry. Occasionally the LBS sells sample demo products, which are labeled "not for retail sale," but I buy 'em because it's usually half price or cheaper and presumably a high profit item for the shop. Seems fair. I got some great deals on mini pumps, gloves, handlebar wrap, etc., buying samples marked not for retail, after the promotional period was over or the product was discontinued. Hopefully the shop made some money. I got a good deal.

Most of my bike purchases this year have been online, usually stuff the LBS doesn't stock anyway. For example, the LBS carries some high end Continental tires but not the cheap Ultra Sport II and mid-priced GP Classic skinwalls I like.
Likes For canklecat: