Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Is this wheel salvageable?

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-20, 07:03 PM
XxHaimBondxX

Bikes: Trek FX 7.3, Specialized Roubaix, Scott CR1 SL, Huffy RedRock (first bike), Aostimotor S17 ebike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked 253 Times in 127 Posts

I've been fixing bikes this summer, mostly kids, lady mountain bikes and cruisers. Thanks to this forum I've been sailing along smoothly. Seems like season is ending, so I decided to build myself one. Picked up this "higher end" Genesis, with weird wheels, which I would like to keep, however, the rear has a missing axle and internals. I have a bunch of spare rear wheels with good axles, however, not sure how to reach that broken piece inside. Is it possible with common household tools?

Old 08-07-20, 07:19 PM
XxHaimBondxX

Bikes: Trek FX 7.3, Specialized Roubaix, Scott CR1 SL, Huffy RedRock (first bike), Aostimotor S17 ebike

Quoted: 184 Post(s)
Liked 253 Times in 127 Posts
Or, would it be easier to replace the entire assembly with cassette into this rim?
Old 08-07-20, 07:29 PM
Juan el Boricua

Bikes: 1980's Royce Union "fixed wheel", 1995 Trek 370, 406 -wheeled " shopper/minivelo"for running errands, SS Raleigh M60

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 46 Posts
Maybe; you'll have to remove the freewheel first, and determine if that broken piece is a dust cover, or part of the hub. You'll probably need a Park Tools FR 7 Freewheel Remover for it. Once checked to make sure everything is in good condition in/with the hub, (and I'm not sure because of the picture, but the hub's race appears pitted), go to your LBS and get a replacement axle for an 8-speed (either nutted or with quick release, I think 130mm, but someone more knowledgeable should chime in promptly; they should come with cones, locknuts, spacer, and necessary washers. If quick release, you'll need to buy the skewer separately.). Also, if you plan to use your new bike heavily, you may want to reconsider using such a hub, as it exposes a lot of the axle on the drive side, making it prone to bending. Maybe relace the rim (if it is in really good condition and, the spokes can be salvaged also) to a cassette hub of your liking? Anyway, good luck with the project!
Likes For Juan el Boricua:
Old 08-07-20, 07:31 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4195 Post(s)
Liked 3,837 Times in 2,295 Posts
So the various axial elements (freewheel, bearing cup, hubshell) are no longer aligned. It's likely that there's broken/cracked metal inside. Fixing that in a hub is not cost effective. But pull the freewheel and take a deeper look. Andy
Old 08-08-20, 12:34 AM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1787 Post(s)
Liked 1,261 Times in 870 Posts
Looks like the bearing race is toast. New hub, which in your case would probably mean a different used wheel.
That's a Free Wheel hub. Cassette hubs are a very different animal.
Freewheel or Cassette?