Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Professional Cycling For the Fans
Reload this Page >

US - Watching the Races

Search
Notices
Professional Cycling For the Fans Follow the Tour de France,the Giro de Italia, the Spring Classics, or other professional cycling races? Here's your home...

US - Watching the Races

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-20, 06:54 AM
TobFromme

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 8 Posts
US - Watching the Races

In the US, what do you use to watch the cycling races? I currently subscribe to NBC Sports Gold (Cycling Pass) and it annoys me that for $50-ish per year, they only show the last 60km or so of each stage, not to mention their production is subpar. For example, today, it was scheduled to start airing at 7:35am Eastern, but it didn't start until 8:45am Eastern.

Is there any source in the US that allows you to watch the entire race, with at least a decent amount of effort put into the production?
Old 08-12-20, 08:39 AM
jimmyodonnell

Bikes: Specialized Langster SS Specialized Sirrus X 4

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 37 Posts
Originally Posted by TobFromme
In the US, what do you use to watch the cycling races? I currently subscribe to NBC Sports Gold (Cycling Pass) and it annoys me that for $50-ish per year, they only show the last 60km or so of each stage, not to mention their production is subpar. For example, today, it was scheduled to start airing at 7:35am Eastern, but it didn't start until 8:45am Eastern.

Is there any source in the US that allows you to watch the entire race, with at least a decent amount of effort put into the production?
Although I didnt tune in to the start of today's broadcast, I've noticed in past years that they join these Dauphine stages somewhere in progress . . . I have no idea why they don't show the entire stage. This doesn't happen with the Tour or the Vuelta, they show the entire stage with an American broadcast and a commercial-free international broadcast.

Other than NBCSN, I think US viewers can also see the Dauphine on FloBikes.com and on Fubo.tv, for different month-to-month subscription fees.

I have no idea whether their coverage is the same or different from what you see on NBCSN, it might just be a simulcast of the very same broadcast.
NBCSN doesn't produce most of this coverage we see on Cycling Pass, they just distribute the international feed featuring English commentary.
Yeah they produce their own Tour coverage and Paris Roubaix but most of the other races we see the international coverage.
Old 08-12-20, 08:44 AM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 2349 Post(s)
Liked 406 Times in 254 Posts
The thing with the USA....NBC pays for geolocked exclusives. SO if NBC is airing it--no one else can in the USA.

For example Dauphine today was region locked. I pay for FloBikes. Can't watch Dauphine on FloBikes...unless you're like me and VPN into some other country and then it is geo-unlocked and can watch it on FloBikes fine.
Old 08-12-20, 09:01 AM
jimmyodonnell

Originally Posted by Marcus_Ti
The thing with the USA....NBC pays for geolocked exclusives. SO if NBC is airing it--no one else can in the USA.

For example Dauphine today was region locked. I pay for FloBikes. Can't watch Dauphine on FloBikes...unless you're like me and VPN into some other country and then it is geo-unlocked and can watch it on FloBikes fine.
Thanks, that restriction will probably apply to all the ASO races.
Old 08-12-20, 09:06 AM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Bikes: Roadie: Seven Axiom Race Ti w/Chorus 11s. CX/Adventure: Carver Gravel Grinder w/ Di2

Originally Posted by jimmyodonnell
Thanks, that restriction will probably apply to all the ASO races.
Yup. same rules about geo-locked exclusives apply to everything. For example the GCN Race Pass. Their USA calendar is 60% smaller than their EU race calendar...because of geolocking restrictions.

Which...if you have a VPN with multi-national gateways with a good bit of throughput is no big deal. I use NordVPN these days after Private Internet Access got bought by a spamware company
Old 08-12-20, 10:32 AM
TobFromme

Thanks for the info. I noticed Cycling.Today had the same video coverage as NBCSN, so I can see what you're saying. I guess I'll just stick with NBCSN.
Old 08-12-20, 11:02 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6193 Post(s)
Liked 4,809 Times in 3,317 Posts
I've been using NBC Gold for sometime too. Yeah, audio for the commentator a lot of times is crappy or not there. I doubt they have many people actually working these things for the smaller races. Might even just be the commentator doing everything.

I think their subscription fee is inexpensive and am willing to put up with the issues as I want to see it not necessarily hear it. And the actual video coverage is something they have to buy from whomever was given license by the race organization to film it.

I thought the deal with not getting all of some stages of various races was that the entity that filmed the stage didn't provide it. Not so much it's anything NBC or others can control.

Or is that too a simple matter that they don't pay the cost of getting the full video coverage that is available? I've never looked to see if other services provide the starting coverage that sometimes NBC Gold doesn't have.
Old 08-25-20, 08:38 AM
OPC
¡Pura Vida!

Bikes: '92 Bianchi Eros, '05 Bianchi Virata, Electra Straight 8

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Just a heads-up for those like me who hoped to watch TdF on NBCSN. Looking at their broadcasting schedule, they're only listing coverage through Stage 3 (Aug 31). Not sure if it'll update as the race gets closer, if not, folks may want to have a viewing Plan B.

https://www.nbcsports.com/tv-listings/full

Poking around the site further for coverage options only results in the paid app, NBC Sports Gold.
'08 Electra Straight 8 Cruiser

Last edited by OPC; 08-25-20 at 08:47 AM. Reason: additional info
Old 08-25-20, 09:39 AM
TobFromme

Originally Posted by OPC
Just a heads-up for those like me who hoped to watch TdF on NBCSN. Looking at their broadcasting schedule, they're only listing coverage through Stage 3 (Aug 31). Not sure if it'll update as the race gets closer, if not, folks may want to have a viewing Plan B.

https://www.nbcsports.com/tv-listings/full

Poking around the site further for coverage options only results in the paid app, NBC Sports Gold.
I see NBCSG saying they will provide both the NBCSN feed and an ad-free feed of every stage. The ad-free also starts earlier.
Old 08-26-20, 07:55 AM
OPC
¡Pura Vida!

Bikes: '92 Bianchi Eros, '05 Bianchi Virata, Electra Straight 8

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Velonews is reporting the N America broadcast schedule:
​​​​​​
https://www.velonews.com/events/tour...north-america/

Looks like NBCSN is an option after all.
'08 Electra Straight 8 Cruiser
Likes For OPC:
Old 08-28-20, 08:08 PM
jimmyodonnell

Originally Posted by TobFromme
I see NBCSG saying they will provide both the NBCSN feed and an ad-free feed of every stage. The ad-free also starts earlier.

The past couple years, I've favored the ad-free broadcast.
I like the commentary pair of Matt Keenan and Robbie McEwan, I hope they return this year.
Heads-up to anyone considering the ad-free broadcast that commentary by Keenan + McEwan is very AUSSIE-CENTRIC
Likes For jimmyodonnell:
Old 08-28-20, 08:11 PM
jimmyodonnell

Originally Posted by Iride01
I've been using NBC Gold for sometime too. Yeah, audio for the commentator a lot of times is crappy or not there. I doubt they have many people actually working these things for the smaller races. Might even just be the commentator doing everything.

I think their subscription fee is inexpensive and am willing to put up with the issues as I want to see it not necessarily hear it. And the actual video coverage is something they have to buy from whomever was given license by the race organization to film it.

I thought the deal with not getting all of some stages of various races was that the entity that filmed the stage didn't provide it. Not so much it's anything NBC or others can control.

Or is that too a simple matter that they don't pay the cost of getting the full video coverage that is available? I've never looked to see if other services provide the starting coverage that sometimes NBC Gold doesn't have.
In the most recent couple years, the ad-free coverage on Cycling Pass / NBCSG shows the full stage coverage, at least for the Tour and the Vuelta.
On smaller races yeah some stages have limited coverage, joining the stage in-progress.
Old 08-28-20, 09:15 PM
gpsblake
Walmart bike rider

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 24 Posts
NBCSN is cutting way back on Prime Time Coverage as Hockey playoffs take priority. It still will be live in the mornings but only one hour on Saturday prime time (7 pm to 8pm) and none on Sunday (although they will have it from midnight to 3 am)
Old 08-29-20, 09:23 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Live morning broadcast west coast of US 5 AM, NBCSN , other replays go to CNBC,
Old 08-29-20, 09:35 AM
Marcus_Ti
FLIR Kitten to 0.05C

Originally Posted by fietsbob
Live morning broadcast west coast of US 5 AM, NBCSN , other replays go to CNBC,
I had to laugh at the special "portrait" segment that the TdF organizers produced and force-fed all the broadcasters on Chris Froome...who isn't even at the race, and we knew wouldn't be coming for a week.
Old 08-29-20, 10:40 AM
Eric S.

Bikes: '04 LeMond Buenos Aires, '82 Bianchi Nuova Racing, De Rosa SLX, Bridgestone MB-1, Guerciotti TSX, Torpado Aelle, LeMond Tourmalet 853, Bridgestone Radac

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked 46 Times in 36 Posts
I'm watching using the $4.99 option of Peacock Premium. I didn't get up for pre-race coverage (4am Pacific in the US) but when I did start watching I was surprised to not be hearing Phil Liggett. Anyone know what's going on? Being that Peacock is NBC, I assume I'm watching via NBC Sports channel but there's no NBC Sports icon on the screen. I know some people would be happy to NOT hear Liggett but I like him.

I found this on a website that says Phil & Bob should be doing commentary -

"NBC Sports’ coverage of the 2020 Tour de France features Phil Liggett, universally known as the “voice of cycling,” who will call play-by-play race action from Sky Sports’ studios in the U.K. Analyst Bob Roll will remotely join Liggett on the call from NBC Sports Group’s International Broadcast Center in Stamford, Conn."

EDIT: Highlights are on YouTube already and Peacock is clearly using a different feed. I wonder if I would get NBC Sports if I moved up to the $9.99 option.

EDIT #2 : I think I figured out what's going on with this Peacock app. Instead of looking for Tour de France under "Sports", I have to find NBC Sports under "Channels" for the so-called US broadcast.

EDIT #3 : The NBC Sports "channel" on Peacock is not the TV broadcast, it's just random shows. I caved and got set up with Sling TV this morning to watch the broadcast for US audiences.

Last edited by Eric S.; 08-30-20 at 09:03 AM.
Old 08-29-20, 01:21 PM
Eric S.

Bikes: '04 LeMond Buenos Aires, '82 Bianchi Nuova Racing, De Rosa SLX, Bridgestone MB-1, Guerciotti TSX, Torpado Aelle, LeMond Tourmalet 853, Bridgestone Radac

Originally Posted by jimmyodonnell
The past couple years, I've favored the ad-free broadcast.
I like the commentary pair of Matt Keenan and Robbie McEwan, I hope they return this year.
Heads-up to anyone considering the ad-free broadcast that commentary by Keenan + McEwan is very AUSSIE-CENTRIC
I posted here about using Peacock Premium (US$4.99 for one month) and that it seems to have two feeds. The one found under "Sports" is the feed with the commentators you prefer. I'll have to confirm my suspicion this evening but the regular commercial NBC Sports TV broadcast is found by going to NBC Sports under the "Channels" list.

Not sure if Peacock can be used internationally, though.
Old 08-29-20, 06:43 PM
John HP

Bikes: 1998 Marinoni Leggero, 1988 Tommasini Super Prestige, 2018 Holdsworth Competition, 1996-ish Redline Cross Bike

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
My cable guide shows no more Tour on NBCSN after Wednesday. Hopefully the guide is wrong... I'm going to be pissed if I have to buy the gold package on top of my cable.
Old 08-30-20, 09:07 AM
Eric S.

Originally Posted by John HP
My cable guide shows no more Tour on NBCSN after Wednesday. Hopefully the guide is wrong... I'm going to be pissed if I have to buy the gold package on top of my cable.
This VeloNews link shows it airing consistently -

https://www.velonews.com/events/tour...X9-8dXB7amynZE
Old 08-30-20, 10:59 AM
EddyR

Bikes: 1992, Cannondale R900. 1991 Paramount pdg

Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 172 Times in 66 Posts
I had NBC Gold for many years but they offered no credit for all the missed races this year so I gave up on them.
I heard about Peacock on here and went for one month. I am retired so the time of broadcast does not bother me here on east coast. Use my laptop connected to the tv and it worked great.
Ed
Likes For EddyR:
Old 09-02-20, 07:37 AM
TobFromme

Originally Posted by EddyR
I had NBC Gold for many years but they offered no credit for all the missed races this year so I gave up on them.
I heard about Peacock on here and went for one month. I am retired so the time of broadcast does not bother me here on east coast. Use my laptop connected to the tv and it worked great.
Ed
It's still NBC so they still got your money. LOL
Old 09-02-20, 09:09 AM
HeyItsSara
Meet me at spin class!!!!

Bikes: Precor recumbant indoor bike, Stages bike at Equinox gym

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 53 Posts
In NYC I can get it on cable Channels 4 and 212. I'm pretty happy with the pre-game coverage at 7 am and then the longer coverage later. I don't see watching more than 6 hours or so of it every day anyway.
Old 09-02-20, 01:18 PM
Cyclist0100
Banned.

Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 72 Posts
I’ve watched all 5 stages live via NBC gold ad-free coverage. So far, so good. Start to finish coverage, no technical issues, no ads.
Old 09-02-20, 05:05 PM
hrdknox1

Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 40 Posts
Subscribe to a streaming service. I use Cyberstreamz. It offers NBCSN, Eurosport 1 and Eurosport 2 which show a good amount of every stage of the Tour. If you miss the morning broadcast, it is on again later that day.