Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

******** Backpacking Class B*llsh*t

Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

Old 03-30-06, 07:04 AM
BeTheChange
Climb on my trusty steed

Bikes: trek 520, specialized stumpjumper pro

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I just need to vent. I race on the collegate team for Appalachian State University. I am pre-registered to race this weekend in Maryland. I'm only racing in Cs but I'm also the lead out man for another teammate. I've been doing well so I want to go to as many races as possible.

Now the fun part. I get an email on wednesday from my backpacking class professor (the first I've gotten all semester) that we have a mandatory day hike on saturday. Why the hell couldn't she get this to me sooner?

At least if she got it to me earlier I could have adjusted my training schedule so that I could have been doing more sprint work and doing longer rides. Damn it! I just hope to hell she lets me make it up so that I can go race this weekend.

I have PE classes. What the hell is the point of them? Christ, if you are some lazy fat bastard in college do they really think taking 2 semester hours of PE classes are going to magically remind you that "hey, I could actually exercise."

I doubt it. :end of rant:
Old 03-30-06, 07:38 AM
jfmckenna
Tiocfáidh ár Lá

Bikes: A whole bunch-a bikes.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 460 Post(s)
Liked 123 Times in 76 Posts
Ha HA thats funny in a way but sucks too. I had to take a fishing class once or else I couldnt graduate. Where was your Maryland race?
Old 03-30-06, 08:20 AM
Doggus
half man - half sheep

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
wait till you see the real world. This pales in comparison. Ever had your plans altered because there's all of a sudden a war to fight. I have.
Old 03-30-06, 08:26 AM
CyLowe97
Up on the Down Side

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by BeTheChange

Now the fun part. I get an email on wednesday from my backpacking class professor (the first I've gotten all semester) that we have a mandatory day hike on saturday. Why the hell couldn't she get this to me sooner?
Dude, you are in a BACKPACKING CLASSat a university. I would have loved to have gotten credit for taking a class like that.

Enjoy the hike.
Old 03-30-06, 09:32 AM
Phatman

Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 97 Times in 51 Posts
Originally Posted by CyLowe97
Dude, you are in a BACKPACKING CLASSat a university. I would have loved to have gotten credit for taking a class like that.

Enjoy the hike.
still, I hate when professors pull that kinda ****, mandatory stuff that is not during the class period. Being in college is all about learning time managment, and schedules rule lives. The only way to get things done is to schedule them beforehand, and when people make tell you that you HAVE to do something with no notice, it sucks a lot.

and it sucks even more getting a B in a PE, cause it was something that was suppose to be fun, and its just wrecking your GPA.

anyway, I feel your pain. this maryland road race is gonna be awesome. the course is so freakin hard. If anyone knows the columbia triathlon course...this race is on it. theres a ton of elevation change, with a few hills that I would guess are over 10% in steepness. of course non of them are more than a quarter mile long or so, but its gonna be balls out awesome.

just to make you jealous.
Old 03-30-06, 09:41 AM
bitingduck

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Go to the academic counseling people and see if you can get PE credit for cycling instead of having to take the backpacking class. Might not get you out of this one, but might spare you another semester.
Old 03-30-06, 09:44 AM
botto 

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 12 Posts
Dude, you are in a BACKPACKING CLASSat a university. I would have loved to have gotten credit for taking a class like that. Enjoy the hike.
i was thinking the same thing. talk about a fluff class.
Old 03-30-06, 09:48 AM
CyLowe97
Up on the Down Side

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by botto
i was thinking the same thing. talk about a fluff class.
I was not saying it was a fluff class, especially if the university requires a PE credit. Heck, a hiking class could teach a lot about the outdoors, fitness, and commeraderie. All valuable.

I was really trying to say was that I would have loved to have gotten credit for such a class.

In defense of the OP, if the instructor didn't advise of a weekend hike until a few days prior, then that's a problem. A lot of students have work obligations or other things that they have already on their calendar.
Old 03-30-06, 09:50 AM
Cromulent
I'm fine.

Bikes: Specialized Allez Sport, IRO Rob Roy

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Mandatory, eh? Nothing about a backpacking class is mandatory. Well, maybe a backpack. But that's it. Talk to her in person. Explain what's going on. She just might be good about it.
Old 03-30-06, 09:51 AM
merlinextraligh
pan y agua

Bikes: Willier Zero 7; Merlin Extralight; Calfee Dragonfly tandem, Calfee Adventure tandem; Cervelo P2; Motebecane Ti Fly 29er; Motebecanne Phantom Cross; Schwinn Paramount Track bike

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1440 Post(s)
Liked 708 Times in 362 Posts
Did you read the syllabus for the class? I'm betting this mandatory trip, and even its date might be on there.
Old 03-30-06, 09:51 AM
Cromulent
I'm fine.

Bikes: Specialized Allez Sport, IRO Rob Roy

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
In defense of the OP, if the instructor didn't advise of a weekend hike until a few days prior, then that's a problem. A lot of students have work obligations or other things that they have already on their calendar.
+1
Old 03-30-06, 09:53 AM
botto 

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 12 Posts
I was not saying it was a fluff class, especially if the university requires a PE credit. Heck, a hiking class could teach a lot about the outdoors, fitness, and commeraderie. All valuable.

I was really trying to say was that I would have loved to have gotten credit for such a class.

point taken about the instructor.

what surprises me is that there's a PE credit at a University. that's just ridiculous.

as far as learning about the outdoors and camaraderie and all of that, i managed to do that in boy scouts myself
Old 03-30-06, 10:11 AM
ken cummings

Bikes: Bruce Gordon BLT, Cannondale parts bike, Ecodyne recumbent trike, Counterpoint Opus 2, miyata 1000

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If the instructor is not flexible then get several other students who have been hurt by the change and go to the Dean of Students. He or She is supposed to help the student with problems like this. Just do not be confrontational, and carry all the literature you can about the race and your racing season to show that what you are doing is serious. Things like this did not happen at my school. Some 30% military veterans and 20% foreign students. Profs did not cause pointless problems for Seals and Royal Princes.
Old 03-30-06, 10:50 AM
Vinokurtov
Now Racer Ex

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If she won't be flexible just BURY her and the rest of the class on the first hill.
Old 03-30-06, 01:51 PM
DocRay

Mentioned: Post(s)
Tagged: Thread(s)
Quoted: Post(s)
Originally Posted by BeTheChange
I love US colleges. Backpacking class..LOL...what's your major? Walking around?

Old 03-30-06, 02:04 PM
jbhowat
@ Checkmate Cycling

Bikes: CAAD 8 - Ultegra

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DocRay
I love US colleges. Backpacking class..LOL...what's your major? Walking around?
Newsflash - a well-rounded education involves taking classes that are not related to your major. If this clas was in his major it might be for "Health and Nutrition Science" or "Natural Resources" "Forrestry Management".
Old 03-30-06, 02:05 PM
worker4youth
Vanned.

Bikes: 2006 Motobecane Le Champ SL, 2006 Mercier Kilo TT, 2004 Gary Fisher Tassajara

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Don't they allow your participation in the cycling team as PE credit?
Old 03-30-06, 02:19 PM
Mellow Johnny