Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

How do you train and recover? I really need your advice.

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-16, 09:57 AM
pepsi4all
Pepsi4all

Bikes: Old Trek 2100 1993

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

My training is 20 miles to work and 20 miles back home, 5 days.

1st training I do
Say I would train on Monday, I would go full all out with those ride. However, the next day Tuesday, I would see my speed decrease. And then continually bike everyday, either decrease or maintain speed because of much pain. 200miles total a week.

2nd training I do
In comparison with my 2nd training, Monday I go full all out. Tuesday rest, and Wednesday full all out again, I see my speed maintain or increase a little bit. It would be every other day of training. 120miles total a week.

My First question.
I am not sure what kind of should I pick, because they say keep putting mileage on your legs and it will get your stronger. Should I keep the first training or the 2nd?

My Second question.
Or I just need to know how to keep a constant 30mph in 2 miles? For sprinting the last lap.

I have been trying to train in high intensity. I am doing this because I do not have much time. I just am not sure how to get the most of it.

Any help, I would gladly appreciate it.
Old 04-07-16, 12:05 PM
ptempel

Bikes: 2007 Ridley Excalibur, 2003 Orbea Orca, 199? Cannondale Headshock MTB hardtail

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 520 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 10 Posts
That's a lot of miles in a week. Last summer, I did around 150 miles a week (two days from home and the rest park n' ride) and got fairly burnt out after a month or so. I knew I needed the rest since I still felt tired during the weekend and I don't ride during that time (reserved for the family). I scaled back to 100 miles the week after doing only park n' ride. So my advice so far is to listen to your body and definately take a "lower mileage rest week" once a month. You could also do a park n' ride if you have a car for a few days a week. Then maybe use those days for shorter distance higher intensity or maybe just for easy recovery.
Old 04-07-16, 12:19 PM
PepeM

Mentioned: 180 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2739 Post(s)
Liked 119 Times in 59 Posts
30mph for two miles. That is definitely what you should be doing. All about that last lap sprint.
Old 04-07-16, 12:21 PM
pepsi4all
Pepsi4all

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by PepeM
30mph for two miles. That is definitely what you should be doing. All about that last lap sprint.
Please tell me how to train for that....
Old 04-07-16, 12:29 PM
patrickgm60

Bikes: Yes

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
20 miles, 10x/week is plenty of training miles, for short races. I would definitely mix up the effort levels, on my rides. IME, too many riders ride at Zone 3/4, nearly all the time, never doing any true recovery riding, nor true intervals. Maybe intervals, Monday morning, easy/recovery Monday evening and Tuesday morning, threshhold effort Tuesday night, etc.
Old 04-07-16, 12:30 PM
RJM
I'm doing it wrong.

Bikes: Rivendell Appaloosa, Rivendell Frank Jones Sr., Trek Fuel EX9, Kona Jake the Snake CR, Niner Sir9

Mentioned: 85 Post(s)
Quoted: 9742 Post(s)
Liked 2,812 Times in 1,664 Posts
Riding like that, I would use the to work ride as sort of a base mile thing at a lower intensity and then use the from work as some sort of higher intensity interval training. Switch the duration and intensity level of the interval session throughout the week, but change it up some.
Old 04-07-16, 12:35 PM
TheKillerPenguin
Nonsense

Bikes: Affirmative

Quoted: 880 Post(s)
Liked 541 Times in 237 Posts
Going full gas all the time is a great way to become an aggressively mediocre triathlete. You will get good at going one speed, but it won't be the right one

On a most basic of levels hard/easy/hard/easy is going to result in more gains because it will let you go harder on hard days which forces more adaptation. Beyond that, if you're looking to do sanctioned races and be successful at it you'll want to look up what interval training is, what sorts of intervals to do to improve certain parts of your power curve, etc. There is a lot of great information on the Training Peaks website, the 33 here on bikeforums has a workout cookbook sticky thread and an ongoing training thread, the cyclists training bible is out there and is a good starting point when you don't know what you're doing.

If you've got a group ride you can do on the regular that's a great way to gain baby race legs before taking a proper stab at bike race shenanigans.
Old 04-07-16, 12:39 PM
PepeM

Originally Posted by RJM
Riding like that, I would use the to work ride as sort of a base mile thing at a lower intensity and then use the from work as some sort of higher intensity interval training. Switch the duration and intensity level of the interval session throughout the week, but change it up some.
Originally Posted by TheKillerPenguin
Going full gas all the time is a great way to become an aggressively mediocre triathlete. You will get good at going one speed, but it won't be the right one

On a most basic of levels hard/easy/hard/easy is going to result in more gains because it will let you go harder on hard days which forces more adaptation. Beyond that, if you're looking to do sanctioned races and be successful at it you'll want to look up what interval training is, what sorts of intervals to do to improve certain parts of your power curve, etc. There is a lot of great information on the Training Peaks website, the 33 here on bikeforums has a workout cookbook sticky thread and an ongoing training thread, the cyclists training bible is out there and is a good starting point when you don't know what you're doing.

If you've got a group ride you can do on the regular that's a great way to gain baby race legs before taking a proper stab at bike race shenanigans.
Good advice right there.
Old 04-07-16, 01:02 PM
Drew Eckhardt 

Bikes: 97 Litespeed, 50-39-30x13-26 10 cogs, Campagnolo Ultrashift, retroreflective rims on SON28/PowerTap hubs

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 226 Posts
Originally Posted by pepsi4all
I am not sure what kind of should I pick, because they say keep putting mileage on your legs and it will get your stronger. Should I keep the first training or the 2nd?
Neither.

All-out for 20 miles all-out will do less for your lactate threshold and VO2max than shorter intervals past lactate threshold (7-10 minutes is ideal), and once you're doing that more than once or twice weekly isn't going to increase the rate your power increases.

You're also probably not riding slow enough on your easy days - you need to stay below your aerobic threshold (where breathing becomes rhythmic, conversation doesn't flow, and lactate/hydrogen ions start to accumulate) to lift that like Mark Allen did prior to setting his 2:40 Ironman marathon split record in 1989 which still stands today.

There's also the 1 in 4 (perhaps 1 in 3) lower volume/intensity rest week you need for adaptation to occur and to prevent over-reaching then over-training.

Or I just need to know how to keep a constant 30mph in 2 miles?
Solo on a road bike without a hill or tail wind you'd be looking at a 500-600W 2 minute power which I don't think will happen.

Measure down-hill, get a bike with better aerodynamics (recumbent low racer, time trial bike), or ride in a pace line where you take turns pulling.

For sprinting the last lap.
A sprint is 10s of seconds which can be powered by your phosocreatine energy system, not minutes.

I like

Monday - 3x10 minutes or 4x10 as hard as possible, 25-30 miles total
Tuesday - short endurance ride, 25-35 miles
Wednesday - recovery pace, 25-35 miles
Thursday - 25 miles aiming for 95% of one-hour power
Friday - recovery pace, 25-35 miles
Saturday - 50-70 mile not short endurance ride

but this year have been neglecting power because I'm enjoying long rides too much.

Last edited by Drew Eckhardt; 04-07-16 at 01:09 PM.
Old 04-07-16, 01:38 PM
dim

Bikes: Trek Emonda SL6 .... Miyata One Thousand

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 22 Posts
this has worked for me (I average 120-150 miles per week commuting):

Get a computer that has cadence. Try and aim to cycle at 80-90 RPM the whole way (where possible)

join strava and check the segments on your daily commute... check your ranking and choose to go as fast as you can on some of the segments where you feel that you can come close (or better) to the times based on your age group

you will get stronger and faster quickly by doing some high intesity riding. I have only been cycling for 6 months now but have lost over 40 pounds and am getting stronger day by day. I started riding in winter and cycled in some horrific headwinds which has also helped. I work 7 days a week so I ride 7 days a week (I know that one should have some time off)
Old 04-07-16, 02:12 PM
rmfnla

Bikes: Gilmour road, Curtlo road; both steel (of course)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 273 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
Just stop that training nonsense.

Remember: no pain > no pain...
Old 04-07-16, 02:23 PM
pepsi4all
Pepsi4all

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rmfnla
Just stop that training nonsense.

Remember: no pain > no pain...
Do you mean pain > no pain??? Or no pain > pain
Old 04-07-16, 02:26 PM
Ghazmh

Bikes: 2022 Salsa Beargrease, 2020 Seven Evergreen, 2019 Honey Allroads Ti, 2018 Seven Redsky XX, 2017 Trek Boon 7, 2014 Trek 520

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 696 Post(s)
Liked 910 Times in 487 Posts
I ride as often and as long as I possibly can.
Old 04-07-16, 02:37 PM
TexMac

Bikes: Ridley Noah fast, Colnago CLX,Giant Propel Advanced, Pinnerello Gogma 65.1, Specialized S-works Venge, CAADX,Cervelo S3

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 74 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My training is 20 miles to work and 20 miles back home, 5 days.

1st training I do
Say I would train on Monday, I would go full all out with those ride. However, the next day Tuesday, I would see my speed decrease. And then continually bike everyday, either decrease or maintain speed because of much pain. 200miles total a week.

2nd training I do
In comparison with my 2nd training, Monday I go full all out. Tuesday rest, and Wednesday full all out again, I see my speed maintain or increase a little bit. It would be every other day of training. 120miles total a week.

My First question.

My Second question.
Or I just need to know how to keep a constant 30mph in 2 miles? For sprinting the last lap.

I have been trying to train in high intensity. I am doing this because I do not have much time. I just am not sure how to get the most of it.

Any help, I would gladly appreciate it.
Last year i was in your boat and would commute 4 days. You get fatigue by the time wekend rolls in. This year I tweaked my schedule..see below
Mon- easy commute 23 miles each way (sometimes 23AM and 30 pm if it gets warm)
Tuesd- AM easy 23 miles commute. Evening, intervals (4x4 or 8x1 or 20x2 etc)
Wed - off/ upper body weights
Thurs- AM easy commute. Evening, intervals (20x2 or 40/20 or 13x30s et)
Friday - off
Saturday - 60 mile fast group ride
Sunday - off
Old 04-07-16, 02:50 PM
gregf83 

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1186 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 177 Posts
I have a similar length commute (33km) and use the following:
Mon, Tue, Thur - hard
Wed, Fri - easy
Sat - Group ride
Sun - Easy

hard can vary. I have a 30 min section where I can ride uninterrupted so that's useful for SST intervals or 6x5x1. I also have a 50m bridge that can provice 3min or so of VO2Max effort and a short steep hill I'll sprint up as hard as possible.

I'm not particularly structured and usually just ride by how I feel. If I take Sun off or ride easy then Mon and Tue usually end up being harder and by Wed I naturally back off. On Fri I'll deliberately keep my avg power under a threshold. If I ride everyday it ends up being a TSS of around 900 which I can't/don't feel like sustaining all year.
Old 04-07-16, 03:27 PM
bbbean 

Bikes: Giant Propel, Cannondale SuperX, Univega Alpina Ultima

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 672 Post(s)
Liked 417 Times in 249 Posts
What are you training for?

Formerly fastest rider in the grupetto, currently slowest guy in the peloton

Old 04-07-16, 03:34 PM
pepsi4all
Pepsi4all

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks, for this. My rpm is 103-112. I usually am on the top the daily commute segments by much. Because others are just riding while I am racing with myself. I own some KOM segments, or use to... some segments are ridiculously high at 38mph...
my current average speed with solo intensity is 21mph including stop signs. Some segments Yesterday, 1/4 mile to half mile, with fair winds, doing 28mph solo surging at 30+, and then constant 24-25mph at most points. Last crits ride averaging 26.5 mph.
I am outputting around 300-320 watts. I think pro's are 400W or more.
Old 04-07-16, 03:37 PM
pepsi4all
Pepsi4all

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by bbbean
What are you training for?
Its a Criterium road bike Category racing 40min. They have it almost every week. its $16 per race.
Old 04-07-16, 03:48 PM
dim

Bikes: Trek Emonda SL6 .... Miyata One Thousand

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 22 Posts
Thanks, for this. My rpm is 103-112. I usually am on the top the daily commute segments by much. Because others are just riding while I am racing with myself. I own some KOM segments, or use to... some segments are ridiculously high at 38mph...
my current average speed with solo intensity is 21mph including stop signs. Some segments Yesterday, 1/4 mile to half mile, with fair winds, doing 28mph solo surging at 30+, and then constant 24-25mph at most points. Last crits ride averaging 26.5 mph.
I am outputting around 300-320 watts. I think pro's are 400W or more.
based on those specs, you are very fit. You should have no problems.

Your speed of 28 mph to 30mph is very fast especially if you can maintain this speed on long distances.... Good luck and keep us updated
Old 04-07-16, 03:53 PM
pepsi4all
Pepsi4all

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Drew Eckhardt

I like

Monday - 3x10 minutes or 4x10 as hard as possible, 25-30 miles total
Tuesday - short endurance ride, 25-35 miles
Wednesday - recovery pace, 25-35 miles
Thursday - 25 miles aiming for 95% of one-hour power
Friday - recovery pace, 25-35 miles
Saturday - 50-70 mile not short endurance ride

but this year have been neglecting power because I'm enjoying long rides too much.
I like this also (above...)

However...
I believe that 30mph is achievable. I think Wiggins hold it 34mph for an hour and other athletes, I know they are way above me.
I am just begging to hold on for a fraction, which is 2 minutes.
Old 04-07-16, 03:58 PM
pepsi4all
Pepsi4all

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
not for long distance.... only 1/4 - half mile for 28mph, I can't do that 2 miles. Only around 23-25mph on a 20 mile. I believe I hit my plateau. I am stuck.
Old 04-07-16, 04:00 PM
pepsi4all
Pepsi4all

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for everything. I am gonna go ask some local coaches if I can find them. But for everything else the advises I have read in here has been really helpful. I really appreciate it.
Old 04-07-16, 04:11 PM
Drew Eckhardt 

Bikes: 97 Litespeed, 50-39-30x13-26 10 cogs, Campagnolo Ultrashift, retroreflective rims on SON28/PowerTap hubs

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 550 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 226 Posts

However...
I believe that 30mph is achievable. I think Wiggins hold it 34mph for an hour and other athletes, I know they are way above me.
I am just begging to hold on for a fraction, which is 2 minutes.
Then follow Wiggins' example. Ride a bike with seating position and bars like this, positioned like this, and dressed like this:

Don't expect to get there with major handicaps like a standard road-bike position.

Last edited by Drew Eckhardt; 04-07-16 at 04:14 PM.
Old 04-07-16, 04:18 PM
PepeM

Also, an hour record attempt and a criterium require very different skills.
Old 04-07-16, 04:21 PM
jsigone
got the climbing bug

Bikes: one for everything

Mentioned: 82 Post(s)
Quoted: 632 Post(s)
Liked 908 Times in 273 Posts
Please tell me how to train for that....
best and probably the only way to build the top end for crits is to do fast club rides few times a week. Work from just sucking a wheel to picking out good spots that's advantageous for you to attack the group and prepare to be countered.

San Diego has about 4 "fast rides" per week. Find some in your area

And your sprint should be in the 40's
Rule #10 // It never gets easier, you just go faster.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.