Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

Power Meter for '19 Giant TCX Advanced

Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-19, 02:40 PM
Jakedatc

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts

Right now it has a SRAM Apex crankset on there. GXP bottom bracket PF86. It will be used for gravel with CB pedals, prob taken off for CX because what is the point other than messing it up. Mostly trying to see my options between Stages, Quarq and other crank based stuff
Old 12-16-19, 10:59 AM
shoota 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 1872 Post(s)
Liked 692 Times in 468 Posts
Originally Posted by Jakedatc
Right now it has a SRAM Apex crankset on there. GXP bottom bracket PF86. It will be used for gravel with CB pedals, prob taken off for CX because what is the point other than messing it up. Mostly trying to see my options between Stages, Quarq and other crank based stuff
Stages (and other arm-based meters) are the easiest solution (and likely cheapest). Companies off the top of my head for meters: Stages, 4iiii, Pioneer, Quarq, Easton
Old 12-16-19, 11:32 AM
mstateglfr 
Sunshine

Bikes: '18 class built steel roadbike, '19 Fairlight Secan, '88 Schwinn Premis , Black Mountain Cycles Monstercross V4, '89 Novara Trionfo

Mentioned: 123 Post(s)
Quoted: 10955 Post(s)
Liked 7,484 Times in 4,186 Posts
I was going to suggest 4iiii, but they dont support higher tier SRAM, but not the SRAM Apex.
Same goes for Avio powersense- the higher tier SRAM can be fit, but not SRAM Apex.

90% sure the Apex crank arms dont work for these two power meters due to the shape of the crank arm. Does your Apex arm have a concave scoop to it on the inside? Its either that shape, or the actual shape(bends) of the crank arm if the inside is flat. Im guessing it has a concave scoop since both the Avio and 4iiii dont work. The Avio is a few inches long, so it needs a flat and not too significantly angled inside to lie flat. The 4iiii is small though so if it also wont work on Apex, I assume its because the inner arm is scooped.

is this your crank?
Old 12-16-19, 11:54 AM
redlude97

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1975 Post(s)
Liked 232 Times in 173 Posts
My quarq has been bulletproof, have had good luck with pioneer single and dual arms as well
Old 12-17-19, 09:28 AM
Jakedatc

I'd be ok getting a new crankset as long as it fit the BB.. and 1x 11. i'm used to BB30 with my other bikes so its a bit tricker to find it seems.

https://www.amazon.com/Quarq-DFour-P...587&th=1&psc=1 perhaps would just need a ring

Last edited by Jakedatc; 12-17-19 at 09:36 AM.
Old 12-19-19, 02:47 PM
Jakedatc

Well i stumbled into a good deal. local shop owner sold me his SRM with SRAM Force arms on it. all it needs is a 1x chain ring on it.. now the question is round or oval
Old 12-21-19, 12:58 PM
shoota 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 1872 Post(s)
Liked 692 Times in 468 Posts
Originally Posted by Jakedatc
Well i stumbled into a good deal. local shop owner sold me his SRM with SRAM Force arms on it. all it needs is a 1x chain ring on it.. now the question is round or oval
I can't tell the difference.
Old 12-21-19, 07:59 PM
Jakedatc

Originally Posted by shoota
I can't tell the difference.
Found a good deal on a Race Face ring that was round so i'll stick with that for now. its easy enough to try an oval one if i find one cheap

Last edited by Jakedatc; 12-25-19 at 07:51 AM.
Likes For Jakedatc: