Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

No Name Apparel?

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-20, 09:03 AM
Danhedonia

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 237 Post(s)
Liked 177 Times in 95 Posts
Isn't the "we're jus' plain folks makin' good kit like mah granpa" another marketing approach? The "plain black" website sells gear for prices that seem, to me, similar to Performance house brands on sale, or Weimostar on Amazon.
Old 07-17-20, 01:00 PM
Thomas15
I think I know nothing.

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 233 Post(s)
Liked 290 Times in 204 Posts
Originally Posted by Danhedonia
Isn't the "we're jus' plain folks makin' good kit like mah granpa" another marketing approach? The "plain black" website sells gear for prices that seem, to me, similar to Performance house brands on sale, or Weimostar on Amazon.
I think you are correct. That and try to make the buyer feel good about the internal practices of the seller, environmentally friendly or socially aware or whatever. By that I mean how much planet destroying industrial waste can a small on-line/mail order supplier produce?

The seller or the marketing company is in many cases not the actual manufacturer because there is not much of a chance that a ma and pa shop with a dozen or two domestic operators can make a quality product that sells for less money than the big dogs buying bibs (or whatever) by the truckload from a factory in the far east. This would explain a suppliers inability to offer a firm availability date instead of vague "we are expecting something this week check back". This doesn't mean that the seller/supplier has no control over the actual specifications of the product but if it were an in-house operation there would be a more precise control over finished inventory. Because they lack this basic inventory control they may also use this as another marketing approach by creating the allusion that demand is so high it is impossible to keep up.

Specific to cycling shorts I have 3 or 4 pairs of an off-name shorts I purchased off amazon for about $26 free shipping. I also have a few pairs of PIs and LGs which cost $70-80 dollars and because I'm fickle I use the PIs and LGs in public and the off-name on my trainer. But in reality the off-name are just as good.

Last edited by Thomas15; 07-18-20 at 10:44 PM.
Likes For Thomas15:
Old 07-24-20, 07:56 PM
gios

Bikes: 2021 Litespeed T5 105, 1990 Gios Compact Pro 105

Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 182 Posts
Just got a size large The Black Bibs. I've been wearing my The Gray Bibs Plus every day it's so comfortable. The $40 jerseys are comfortable to wear also with full zippers. Like the $40 Black Bibs, you have to catch your size in stock. If you hit the facebook link on the bottom of their site they have updates of in stock and upcoming.
Old 07-28-20, 01:15 AM
gios

Bikes: 2021 Litespeed T5 105, 1990 Gios Compact Pro 105

Quoted: 167 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 182 Posts
I've been wearing my Gray Bibs Plus nearly every day since I got them on the 15th. They are just that comfortable. Got my size large The Black Bibs and it seems to me everything is the same except for the band at the bottom.