Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

Wife looking for new bike

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-20, 02:22 PM
woofy

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 5 Posts

My wife has a 12 year old Trek FX... may be a 4... can't tell. nice bike. V-Brakes, Shimano Acera, 7 gears, triple crank, 21 speed, 20", 51cm, silver. I'm a snob, seriously, but I don't mind riding this thing.

She wants a new bike. For her new usually means new, but recognizable;e enough not to add difficulty or learning curve, whilst having enough newness to be compelling. Disk brakes may cover that nicely especially since we can say this is safety related.

Based on all of this, I actually think that an FX3 or 4 or perhaps a Verve 2 or 3. I think the FX3-4 is a little more on the serious let's knock out some mileage, whereas the Verve looks more upright and comfortable, relaxed. I think she does a little of both. We do live along a bike path which is paved in some places and is pea-gravel in others. Mostly very flat and even, but it can get a little washed out at times. So nothing too serious... but challenging and I know she likes to get up to speed at times.

Price point I am looking at is about 1K or a little more. Looking at the $500.00 models, they look a little too spartan, and frankly I am going to say discs is probably a good idea. She doesn't ride in the rain and even if she did she would not be hauling fast enough or downhill enough to worry about the discs in any way. So...

I do not think the dual sport is really up her alley. She will peg it for a Mt. Bike, though I know that is not true. She does not really have need of the fork for the riding she is doing and frankly it is just dead weight at that point. I'd rather see a proper rigid carbon fork up there for damping.

No women's or step-throughs. Just sayin'. At worst, we might want to consider changing out the saddle, and we'd probably do that no matter what anyway. I do not believe in WSD in any manner. Bent top tube? Nope.

Adive, thoughts? Input, feedback? The hardest part wwill be finding one. I do have a line on a Verve 2 I think it is, and can find it in medium. The color is not so great.

I might consider other brands. We have a Cannondale dealer here in town. I would consider a Quick if I could find a nice one. But remember the thing about the same enough to be familiar? Heh. Thanks in advance.
Old 07-24-20, 04:07 PM
AU Tiger

Bikes: 2018 Fuji Jari 1.5, 2017 Kona Fire Mountain

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 36 Posts
I would just take her to one of the shops and see what she likes. You clearly know enough about bikes to recognize a good bike vs. a not-so-good one. And if your area is anything like mine, you may be very limited in your selection, so just prepare her to be flexible if she really wants a new one now. And if she can't find a new one she likes due to lack of current availability, consider upgrading the components on her existing bike. That would qualify as somewhat new but very recognizable.
Old 07-24-20, 09:21 PM
yashinon

Bikes: Trek Domane

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 8 Posts
what is wrong with the FX? As long as the frame is good, you can replace parts.
Old 07-25-20, 06:42 AM
woofy

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 5 Posts
Thanks...

>> just take her to one of the shops and see what she likes

I am trying to get her to go. There are times she just sends me on these "quests." The real answer is that she cannot be boithered, but I will do a workman-like job AND if all else fails, there will be something to complain about that is not witin her accountability. this is a "human" thing. The Russians have a saying "wood is wooden." Don't get me wrong. Doesn't make me mad or anything. A thing is what a thing is. Great advice though! And if I can, I'll locate a suitable replacement (think I have), look it over and bring her in citing "bicycles are a very personal thing..."

>> what is wrong with the FX? As long as the frame is good, you can replace parts.

Nothing. All my bikes are circa 2012 or a little later. They are pro-level bikes that I have not a chance of ever exceeding in any way. This is great because I will upgrade them along the way and ride them for the next 20 years.

So I agree with you. Her current bike is a good one and actually does not need an upgrade. I mean I could put a new drive train on. But it is not worn out.

I think she just wants something shiny and new. I know it seems wasteful, so allow me to counter. We live on a bike path - a good one too. We get a lot of family/guests that come over and there are lots of times when we need extra bikes. Also, my teens work about eight miles away and pedal to work. One had a crash and put his bike out of commission. Repairs are backed up these days. It will be fixed in a couple of weeks. In the meantime, he does not have a good bike to get to work on. Stuff happens like this.

So needing a spare happens a lot. The current FX will hang in the garage as a spare and as a guest bike. I may turn it into a kayak mule... I have a kayak carrier for bikes and no bike to fix it to. The bike path goes out across the lake and I have been wanting to use that to launch. SO... the bike will NOT be wasted - and we have room for it. This is not a case of N+1 here, BUT I see the possibilities. It solves a few admittedly first-world problems.

Thanks again,

woof!
Old 07-25-20, 08:32 AM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1443 Post(s)
Liked 759 Times in 568 Posts
If looking at Cannondale, check out the Treadwell. It's a comfort-oriented hybrid (similar to a Verve in some ways), but with more comfortable 584mm wheels (vs. the Verve's 622s)...or 650b vs. 700c if you speak that language. It's similar to a Specialized Roll but it's not quite as laid back. Otherwise, a Verve sounds like it would hit the spot. I have bikes with rim brakes (both linear pull and cantilever) and bikes with disc brakes (all hydraulic now) and I can absolutely say both "I don't need hydraulic disc brakes" and "I love having hydraulic disc brakes". I find them so much more pleasant to use...they're very consistent, their level pull is very smooth and easy, and they're basically maintenance free (they're Shimanos, which are usually very good). I'd get the disc brakes if you have the choice. Even mechanical ones...you could upgrade to hydraulic down the road if you wanted to.
Likes For hokiefyd:
Old 07-25-20, 01:28 PM
AU Tiger

Bikes: 2018 Fuji Jari 1.5, 2017 Kona Fire Mountain

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by woofy
I am trying to get her to go. There are times she just sends me on these "quests." The real answer is that she cannot be bothered
I understand completely. My son is the same way.

The Russians have a saying "wood is wooden."
I like that!

I think she just wants something shiny and new. I know it seems wasteful, so allow me to counter. We live on a bike path - a good one too. We get a lot of family/guests that come over and there are lots of times when we need extra bikes. Also, my teens work about eight miles away and pedal to work. One had a crash and put his bike out of commission. Repairs are backed up these days. It will be fixed in a couple of weeks. In the meantime, he does not have a good bike to get to work on. Stuff happens like this.

So needing a spare happens a lot. The current FX will hang in the garage as a spare and as a guest bike.
That actually makes a lot of sense and does not seem wasteful at all to me. A few weeks ago I was in the middle of some upgrades and maintenance on my road bike which ended up taking an extra day or two. I was itching for a ride, though, so I got out the mountain bike and took it for a 25-mile road ride. Turned out to be a lot of fun. A spare bike is a good thing... especially if your guests get to enjoy it also!