Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Nixfrixshun chain lube

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Nixfrixshun chain lube

Old 08-03-20, 12:50 PM
Baldy1953

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 18 Posts
Nixfrixshun chain lube

Has anyone used this product? I read about it online and it looks really interesting. Not the cheapest lube in the world, but if it does what it says would be worth the money.
Old 08-03-20, 01:06 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6100 Post(s)
Liked 4,732 Times in 3,262 Posts
What do that say it does that they support with data from trials? Otherwise all I saw on their site was the typical sales-speak of someone trying to hawk their product.

Admittedly, I didn't look hard. Though I don't use it, these people at least put some testing and studies behind what they claim.... https://absoluteblack.cc/graphenlube...icant-coating/
Old 08-03-20, 01:28 PM
Davet
Licensed Bike Geek

Bikes: Look 585, Kirk Terraplane, Serotta Ottrott, Spectrum Super Custom, Hampsten Carbon Leger Tournesol

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 68 Times in 47 Posts
I've used NFS for 3 years and it seems to warrant it's good reputation. I follow the directions regarding the application. The key seems to apply the night before and wipe the excess from the outer plates and let sit, a little goes a long way. I used it on my bikes while I lived in Mexico plus I lubed everything that had metal-to-metal contact: gates, doors, fittings, even put a little bit on the threads and bulbs of lighting fixtures. The heat and humidity in our locale was severe and NFS prevented the corrosion and galling that was so prevalent there.

The chains on our MTB bikes lasted longer than my riding companions who didn't use NFS.

Last edited by Davet; 08-03-20 at 04:49 PM.
Old 08-03-20, 02:28 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds.

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1774 Post(s)
Liked 1,231 Times in 852 Posts
They would ALL be great IF they did what they say.
Old 08-03-20, 03:51 PM
dsaul

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 712 Post(s)
Liked 793 Times in 471 Posts
I've used it and it works great, but stinks like gear oil. You only use a small amount and the stuff seems to replicate itself and spread all over the chain. I eventually stopped using it, because I couldn't keep the chain clean and it really stunk up my truck when I put the bike inside.
Old 08-03-20, 11:15 PM
bitpuddle

Bikes: Cinelli Nemo Tig / Battaglin Power Plus / Moots RCS

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 18 Times in 13 Posts
NFS is my favorite chain lube. I’ve had good luck with their suggested method of refreshing the chain: 12 drops at random, pedal to distribute the lube, thoroughly wipe off excess. If I give the chain a quick wipe after each ride, it stays clean and quiet for iiquite a while. (If I’m starting with a degreased chain, I’ll do one small drop per link).
Old 08-03-20, 11:53 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,798 Times in 1,798 Posts
Google the Ceramic Speed Friction Facts tests from a few years ago. It supports the claims for NFS. Seems to be the next best thing to wax and Rock 'n' Roll lubes (which appear to be mostly naphtha and PTFE powder).

I was curious about their recommendation to apply the lube very sparingly, to only six links per chain and let it spread itself while riding. So I started doing that with Park CL-1 (medium weight oil with PTFE), since I already had a full bottle and didn't figure I'd run out anytime soon. So far, so good. Sure beats the waste and mess of drizzling lube all over the chain, most of which ends up on paper towels and newspaper.

I've used it that way on my hybrid/errand bike for a few years, replacing the chain every couple of years (roughly 2,000 miles per year). Sure cuts down on the crud that accumulates on chains. I don't clean the chain often, just wipe it down a couple of times a year depending on conditions. Runs more quietly than my road bike chains with fancier lubes (don't want to get into details, I'm not sure it's worth the fuss and expense).
Old 08-05-20, 08:30 PM
Baldy1953

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked 30 Times in 18 Posts
Thanks for the replies. Looks like I am going to give it a try with positive feedback from here.
Old 08-05-20, 10:29 PM
surak

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Canyon Inflite AL SLX, Ibis Ripley AF, Priority Continuum Onyx, Santana Vision, Kent Dual-Drive Tandem

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 871 Post(s)
Liked 725 Times in 436 Posts
I haven't found the NFS instructions to apply sparingly to be sufficient, and Zero Friction Cycling's review backs up my experience.
From https://zerofrictioncycling.com.au/w...-Silca-NFS.pdf :
12-12-12 Method - UPDATED!
Working with the team at Friction Facts we have discovered that on a perfectly clean and dry chain, you need more than just the 12 drops in the 12-12-12 method. We are recommending one small drop per link for your first application with a solid 12 revolutions of the crank using a rag to wipe away the excess. After that, 12-12-12 is a perfect way to replenish your lube. From a noise and friction perspective, 12-12-12 every 300-400 miles with NFS is the equivalent of adding one drop per link every 200 miles with other wet lubes.
Unfortunately I only found that blurb after already following the instructions on my bottle, so my chain (Dura-Ace 11sp that was new and got NFS after first degreasing, used only indoors so far) gets noisy and dirty after an hour of riding and reapplication hasn't made it any better in that regard. I need to do another full degreasing and then try again, but I've been putting that off.