Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Tips and Tricks

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Tips and Tricks

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-07, 08:15 AM
Visionquest
End of Hard Shoulder

Bikes: trek 520, 70's beater Ross

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I call it the "Chanute Breakfast Bomb"... provides loads of energy for the start of any day on the road.

Take two packets of instant oatmeal, drop them in a cup of coffee with milk and sugar to taste, chug/eat and ride till lunch..the instant apple oatmeal is fun b/c the dried apples float to the top ;-)

:-D cheap and effective!
Old 10-22-07, 06:07 AM
twobikes
Healthy and active

Bikes: mid-60's Dunelt 10-speed, Specialized Allez Sport Tripple, Trek 7.2 FX

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I had galled wheel bearing cones on an older bike. I am not very close to a bike store and getting new cones could be difficult. I also wanted to finish the job quickly. I took the axle to a hardware store and found a metric nut to match it. Then I got a short metric bolt the same size. I cut the head off and chucked it up in a chuck on a high speed spindle. I screwed the galled cone onto the threads. I ran it while lightly holding a running Dremel tool with grinding bit against it. I was able to get rid of the galling and have a pretty good surface on the cone, too.

Last edited by twobikes; 10-23-07 at 06:28 AM. Reason: used the wrong word to describe something
Old 10-25-07, 08:23 PM
Suburban Rider

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Better than straps or rubberbands around hand brakes as a parking brake , take a strip of velcro, and a strip of the fuzzy recieving stuff, and sew them back to back into a single strap. Then put the strap around the front wheel and the down tube. The bike will not roll when leaning against a vertical surface and, if that vertial surface is a thin tree or post, the front wheel wont turn and allow the bike to fall when you aren't looking.
Old 02-07-08, 11:06 PM
sth

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Suburban Rider
Better than straps or rubberbands around hand brakes as a parking brake , take a strip of velcro, and a strip of the fuzzy recieving stuff, and sew them back to back into a single strap. Then put the strap around the front wheel and the down tube. The bike will not roll when leaning against a vertical surface and, if that vertial surface is a thin tree or post, the front wheel wont turn and allow the bike to fall when you aren't looking.
+1 on this one but if you look hard enough you will find 2 sided velcro thus avoiding the dreaded sewing. I have used this for several years now and it works great. When not in use just roll it around your handlebar.
Old 04-23-08, 10:30 PM
scruffyboy
Mature Cyclist

Location: About as far south as one can get in the continental U.S.

Bikes: Bianchi Milano Jamis Aurora

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
This may seem like a really dumb tip but I've tried it a few times and it "seems" to work:
"Mark" your campsite (PEE/PISS) at the 4 corners and most animals seem to stay away.
I can't really say it'd work in ALL situations/areas but the first campground I tried it? The raccoons/possums/whatever left our camp completely alone but totally ransacked the camps on either side of us. I still hang my food or at least store it outside my tent.
Old 05-06-08, 03:28 AM
Burningman
See You Down The Road

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by scruffyboy
This may seem like a really dumb tip but I've tried it a few times and it "seems" to work:
"Mark" your campsite (PEE/PISS) at the 4 corners and most animals seem to stay away.
I can't really say it'd work in ALL situations/areas but the first campground I tried it? The raccoons/possums/whatever left our camp completely alone but totally ransacked the camps on either side of us. I still hang my food or at least store it outside my tent.
This isn't a dumb tip....it works really well....

but remember it only works with male pee.....female pee doesn't have enough testosterone in it.

It will help keep away the smaller animals and if in bear country it will let them no your there so their not surprised or they can avoid you all together

(still get your food away from your tent ,like you said,don't take any chances)

Last edited by Burningman; 05-06-08 at 03:40 AM.
Old 05-13-08, 10:55 AM
Kol.klink
my bike Owns me+my wallet

Bikes: Px-10 singeld, 2007 KHS filte 100

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Visionquest
I call it the "Chanute Breakfast Bomb"... provides loads of energy for the start of any day on the road.

Take two packets of instant oatmeal, drop them in a cup of coffee with milk and sugar to taste, chug/eat and ride till lunch..the instant apple oatmeal is fun b/c the dried apples float to the top ;-)

:-D cheap and effective!
That sounds horrible, and a waste of good coffee

there are brake levers that have parking brake similar to one found on a motorcycle.

just throwing it out there
Old 05-23-08, 04:04 PM
myheadsashed

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by konageezer
Shiny?
Apparently you can polish a turd
Old 05-23-08, 04:10 PM
jpmartineau

Bikes: 2008 Surly LHT complete & 1988-ish fuglyfixed Specialized RockHopper

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by jpmartineau
Firestarting tip.

Dip a cotton swab into vaseline, then put it in a ziploc bag. Repeat. When you have many in there, smoosh them so that the vaseline is spread out.

To start your campfire, just put 4-5 cotton balls under your kindling wood and light them. They'll burn surprisingly long. No need for newspapers for starting the fire.
+1 tried it and it works great.
Old 05-25-08, 11:41 AM
Ronsonic 

Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 41 Posts
Originally Posted by kipibenkipod
Well, google don't know what is dirolites. So what is it?

I think we'd call them electrolytes. Like in Brawndo. And people who ride all day actually need them. I'm prone to cramping if my potassium gets low salt substitutes and "lite salt" is highly recommended.
Old 05-25-08, 02:39 PM
jpmartineau

Bikes: 2008 Surly LHT complete & 1988-ish fuglyfixed Specialized RockHopper

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Ronsonic
I think we'd call them electrolytes. Like in Brawndo. And people who ride all day actually need them. I'm prone to cramping if my potassium gets low salt substitutes and "lite salt" is highly recommended.
Vichy also makes some little "candy"/losanges which contain minerals useful for the body. They are available in some european specialty grocery stores.
Old 06-21-08, 02:54 AM
Dan The Man

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
This is known to veteran cyclists, but as you descend very long, very steep hills, stop occassionally to cool your brakes and your rims. The steepest hill I ever descended was in VA on the TransAm Trail as I headed towards Vesuvius, VA. I stopped to cool things off about three times, and didn't have a problem.

Later that day I spoke with the owner of a local bike shop, and we discussed that very hill. He told me of many cyclists who failed to take proper precautions on the hill, and sometimes paid dearly for it. They lost control of the bike or the hot rim blew the tire out, and ended up with severe injuries, such as a fractured skull or severe lacerations.
Why do you brake when going down hills? Think of all the hard work you put into getting that energy? If I am coasting I will hardly ever get above 50 kmph.
Old 06-21-08, 09:52 AM
Newspaperguy

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Dan The Man
Why do you brake when going down hills? Think of all the hard work you put into getting that energy? If I am coasting I will hardly ever get above 50 kmph.
If you're on a winding mountain road or if you're riding in wet conditions, you need to use your brakes and control your speed going downhill. On a short tour this past week, I was reaching speeds of around 60 km/h each day and on previous tours, I've sometimes topped 70 km/h. At those speeds, losing control can have some serious consequences.
Old 06-26-08, 01:28 PM
Backstage

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
hand sanitizer can also double as a good fire starter. I have found sample sizes in the Target stores fo less than a dollar about the size of a box of dental floss. And it makes my hands cleaner
Old 06-27-08, 05:17 AM
kipibenkipod
Got an old Peugeot

Bikes: I had a Trek 1200

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Backstage
hand sanitizer can also double as a good fire starter. I have found sample sizes in the Target stores fo less than a dollar about the size of a box of dental floss. And it makes my hands cleaner
We got it with a promotion, and just didn't know what to do with it :-)
Old 07-01-08, 01:19 PM
Dan The Man

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Tall water bottles can't fit into a lot of washroom sinks. I have 820 mL bottles, and have a lot of trouble. The way I do it is to fit them in sort of sideways, so they can both be filled up to almost half way, then I use one bottle to fill the other one up to the top. Then I take the cap of the first bottle and use that as a little cup to fill up the second bottle to the top.
Old 07-01-08, 01:33 PM
Lifelonglaugh
Team Anchor

Bikes: Surly Crosscheck, Trek Madone, Merlin Hardtail, Surley Crosscheck, Gary Fisher Mountain Tandem

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A trick a lot of people already use, but just in case... a tennis ball plastic sleeve has a nice waterproof top and fits into tightly a water bottle cage. I know the cages are precious for water, but it is a great way to carry a light jacket and/or a repair kit.
Old 07-04-08, 07:04 PM
Bikepacker67
Banned

Bikes: LHT, Kona Smoke

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Dan The Man
Why do you brake when going down hills?
Because I'm not a big fan of terminal velocity!
Old 07-10-08, 05:56 PM
hannahBanana

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I use a smaller version of your potato bag as a shower bag to keep soap and shampoo and stuff in and I use the bag itself to wash with - a nice body scrub. thia way all your stuff can dry out nicely before you pack it away.
Old 07-10-08, 06:02 PM
hannahBanana

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
PS, I'm referring to the bag from a previous post. This is the bag though: https://www.crazyguyonabike.com/doc/p..._id=30086&v=2s
Old 07-11-08, 08:20 AM
jens5

Bikes: Heron Wayfarer/ 2004 Giant Cypress SX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by myheadsashed
Apparently you can polish a turd
Old 09-13-08, 01:10 PM
kaoskingnd

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I was thinking one day, it kinda hurt but.....my fenders were making a irritating tinkle, rattle, ping pop ect...so to the auto store I went and purchased some spray can of undercoating, and presto after a little masking and a day of drying a super quiet ride again.....don't use the kind that goes on real thick the cheap stuff works great and adds very little fat to the bike. It also makes the real sticky mud wash off easier. Oh yea it will only stick to metal fenders.
Old 09-13-08, 01:42 PM
kaoskingnd

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nasty dent in a steel frame:
Remove paint
heat with a propane torch till it becomes slightly red throw a cup of cold water on it and the dent will some times pop right out and some times it takes a couple of tries but eventualy the dent will come out.
I've done it on cars and bikes it does work.
Old 09-18-08, 08:00 PM
acantor
Macro Geek

Bikes: True North tourer (www.truenorthcycles.com), 2004; Miyata 1000, 1985

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 7 Posts
Last week, I toured with two friends along a two-lane highway. One of my friends wore a florescent vest, and the other didn't. While riding through a forest, I noticed that the one without the vest was almost invisible while in shadow. And it was a sunny day. On the other hand, the one wearing a vest stood out like a sore thumb.

So if you are seriously interested in being more visible to car and truck drivers, wear a florescent vest. Making yourself easy to spot is an asset when sharing the road with fast-moving vehicles.

Something like this:

Last edited by acantor; 09-18-08 at 08:03 PM.
Old 09-23-08, 05:59 PM
dr.jewell
Monsieur Jewell

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
tempered?

Originally Posted by kaoskingnd
Nasty dent in a steel frame:
Remove paint
heat with a propane torch till it becomes slightly red throw a cup of cold water on it and the dent will some times pop right out and some times it takes a couple of tries but eventualy the dent will come out.
I've done it on cars and bikes it does work.
maybe it's just me, and i'm no expert, but i thought that by heating up any tempered metal (and a few bikes are tempered, I personally have an older one that is) you are weakening the metal, amking it somewhat hazardous.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.