Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Panniers for Textbooks

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Panniers for Textbooks

Search this Thread

Old 08-19-07, 11:14 PM
natlogcabbysea

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Panniers for Textbooks

I need some advice on panniers. I'm a college student and frequently find myself carrying 25 lbs+ of books around in my backpack. Can anyone point me in the direction of some manufacturers that produce panniers that could hold large and heavy textbooks? Ideally I would love to find some that lock so that I could leave the books I don't need for a particular class during the day on my bike.
Old 08-19-07, 11:27 PM
moxfyre
cyclist/gearhead/cycli...

Bikes: Homebuilt tourer/commuter, modified-beyond-recognition 1990 Trek 1100, reasonably stock 2002-ish Gary Fisher Hoo Koo E Koo

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The Performance Transit Pro panniers are nice for typical-sized textbooks. I can easily fit 6 large, hardbound books in a pair of them, with room to spare for clothes, lunch, raincoat.

They don't lock though... I'm not sure if I'd trust any panniers to keep my books dry and safe for a day, though.
Old 08-20-07, 01:14 AM
natlogcabbysea

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi moxfyre!

Thanks for your advice. I just checked out the site, and these are definitely better suited for me than the ones I found at a local bike shop!
Old 08-20-07, 09:27 AM
dydst

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I use -- and like -- the Nashbar Euro Panniers for carrying textbooks and work stuff. They hold quite a bit and have built-in rain covers, which is definiely a plus. Plus, they look cool.

https://www.nashbar.com/profile.cfm?c...%3A%20Panniers
Old 08-21-07, 07:41 AM
sauerwald

Bikes: Bianchi San Remo - set up as a utility bike, Peter Mooney Road bike, Peter Mooney commute bike,Dahon Folder,Schwinn Paramount Tandem

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I commute to work and back, and depending on what is going on, I often am carrying a heavy load including books and laptop computer in addition to my clothes and lunch. I have a variety of Arkel Panniers, which I use depending on what I am carrying. Most frequently I use the T-42s and/or the briefcase.

Very good quality products, good warranty, great people to deal with.

www.arkel-od.com
Old 08-21-07, 10:18 PM
BeTheChange
Climb on my trusty steed

Bikes: trek 520, specialized stumpjumper pro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The arkel bug is great. It is a bit on the smaller side so I can fit a laptop and a Couple biology textbooks in it with all my other crap. I've had it for 4 years now and it's still going strong. Word.
Old 08-22-07, 12:02 AM
Cyclist0383
Banned

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Another one for the Arkel Bug. It's a great pannier which turns into a backpack. I love mine.