Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

"Hey honey... theres the fat guy...."

Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-11, 04:32 PM
chefisaac

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 32 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I needed to ride 13 miles today so I would have reached 50 miles this week so it left today that I needed to do it. Wind is about 35 miles plus, lots of clouds and a little rain so I decided... what the hell, I will go for it.

We dont have hills here really but there is a little climbing and yes, I have a hard time with it at this point in my riding. So as I was riding, I was going up a small hill and there were some people outside watching a guy cut a tree down (really thrilling). I was going slow and could hear what they were saying. The guy said to his wife "there is the fat guy i was telling you about". Made me smile. At least they are starting to know me! he he he

and thats why I am riding my bike on a windy day.... to burn calories. Dumb asses!
Old 08-28-11, 04:50 PM
1nterceptor
LET'S ROLL

Bikes: 2014 BMC Gran Fondo, 2013 Brompton S6L-X

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 306 Post(s)
Liked 44 Times in 33 Posts
I was out riding today too
Old 08-28-11, 04:51 PM
JT Burkard

Bikes: BMW Cruise Bike, Specialized Hardrock, Fuji Sagres, Vintage Schwinn Hollywood

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
We wanted to ride today too but the trail we ride on was completely flooded out and the roads were less then desireable to ride around the neighborhood. Keep it up, they will soon say "that guy on the bike used to be the fat dude, look at him go"
Old 08-28-11, 04:55 PM
chefisaac

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
jt: thats what I say!
Old 08-28-11, 04:56 PM
Mithrandir

Bikes: 2012 Surly LHT, 1995 GT Outpost Trail

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Heh. Makes me wonder how many people have conversations about me that I'll never know about.
Old 08-28-11, 05:02 PM
chuck556

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Absolutely....smile with pride on that one. Raining..35mph winds and your out there keeping that promise you made to yourself. Good for you.
Old 08-28-11, 05:10 PM
chefisaac

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
i think of it like this..... its a process and you have to start somewhere. Could be in a gym but its boring.... could be on the couch.... and doing nothing. And I saw no one else out except for kids so I knew I was either crazy for going out, stupid, or doing something good.... all three I think!
Old 08-28-11, 07:12 PM
McCallum

Bikes: Trek multi-track 720

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My attitude is if you don't like how this fat dude looks; DON'T LOOK AT THE FAT DUDE!

Although I have made it to the not as fat adude as I was catagory!!

Last edited by McCallum; 08-28-11 at 07:13 PM. Reason: added to post
Old 08-29-11, 09:37 AM
Juan Foote
LBKA (formerly punkncat)

Bikes: Spec Roubaix SL4, GT Traffic 1.0

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 2208 Post(s)
Liked 960 Times in 686 Posts
Originally Posted by 1nterceptor
I was out riding today too

Hey fella, I don't mean to offend, but you DO know what a red light is for, right? You rolled the hell out of at least one less than a minute into your video. Cyclists are required to follow the same road rules as cars, and people do notice when you aren't. Please do yourself and the rest of us a favor and pay attention to this detail. It means a lot.
Old 08-30-11, 09:52 AM
RichardGlover
2nd Amendment Cyclist

Bikes: Schwinn 2010 World Street, Handsome Speedy w/ SRAM Apex

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I gotta tell you... I'm a year out of losing most of my weight, and I still get a kick when people call me stuff like 'the skinny dude', or I overhear the the women in the paceline talk about how tiny my ass is, or - last Thursday, when they referred to me as a 'strong rider'.

Keep the pedals moving - you'll get there.
Old 08-30-11, 11:14 AM
StephenH
Uber Goober

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 190 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 32 Posts
I've been out driving and saw people jogging or cycling or whatever that were particularly unfit or wearing the wrong clothing or whatever. I've found myself silient snickering and then I think, "Wait a minute, at least they're out doing something, and I'm sitting on my butt in car!"

There's a lot of people that cycle to lose weight. I don't know how large you are, but if you're especially large, that's kind of a rare sight on a bike, and may have been the reason for the comment.

Last edited by StephenH; 08-30-11 at 10:59 PM.
Old 08-30-11, 11:30 AM
RichardGlover
2nd Amendment Cyclist

Bikes: Schwinn 2010 World Street, Handsome Speedy w/ SRAM Apex

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Talked to a motorcyclist a week ago when I stopped at a C-store for some gatorade. Mostly we talked about traffic and the different issues we deal with - left turns for motorbikes, right hooks for cyclists, etc...

He said he'd try riding bikes, but he didn't see many fat people riding them. I pointed out that it's because they don't stay fat for long.
Old 08-30-11, 11:51 AM
jbkirby

Bikes: 1971 Raleigh International; 1972 Raleigh International; 1971 Schwinn Sports Tourer

Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by chefisaac
I needed to ride 13 miles today so I would have reached 50 miles this week so it left today that I needed to do it. Wind is about 35 miles plus, lots of clouds and a little rain so I decided... what the hell, I will go for it.

We dont have hills here really but there is a little climbing and yes, I have a hard time with it at this point in my riding. So as I was riding, I was going up a small hill and there were some people outside watching a guy cut a tree down (really thrilling). I was going slow and could hear what they were saying. The guy said to his wife "there is the fat guy i was telling you about". Made me smile. At least they are starting to know me! he he he

and thats why I am riding my bike on a windy day.... to burn calories. Dumb asses!
I was fifty pounds overweight when I started to ride in April. I am now 20 pounds overweight sitting right at 200 pounds. One more pound and the "Clydesdale" classification will be no more. People ask what diet I am using, and I reply that I am not eating any less, just having a great time riding my bike. My first week, I struggled to move the bike one mile, now, 30 comes easy. Keep riding and keep laughing at the morons you see along the way as they are the best entertainment. When they make senseless comments just remember, YOU are out there doing something about your weight, they aren't!
Old 08-30-11, 12:04 PM
Doohickie
You gonna eat that?

Bikes: 1966 Raleigh DL-1 Tourist, 1973 Schwinn Varsity, 1983 Raleigh Marathon, 1994 Nishiki Sport XRS

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 44 Posts
Originally Posted by RichardGlover
He said he'd try riding bikes, but he didn't see many fat people riding them. I pointed out that it's because they don't stay fat for long.
That's gold right there.

Originally Posted by bragi "However, it's never a good idea to overgeneralize."
Old 08-30-11, 01:19 PM
Duckles McGee

Bikes: Gary Fisher Hard Tail MTB - (looking for a road bike)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by chuck556
Absolutely....smile with pride on that one. Raining..35mph winds and your out there keeping that promise you made to yourself. Good for you.
Ditto!
Old 08-30-11, 01:40 PM
Mr. Beanz
Banned.

Bikes: Lemond Chambery/Cannondale R-900/Trek 8000 MTB/Burley Duet tandem

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Fat Dude!.....Back in 05 I watched my diet very closely for 2 years or so. I did not eat junk food, mayo, butter and lots of other stuff I enjoy just to see what I could do on the bike at my lowest weight. At 6'1, the best I could do was 218 lbs. I didn't think I was fat but one guy seemed to think so.

I was out on a solo century connecting local trails and part of Pacific Coast Hwy. I was 90 miles into my ride when some skinny dude on a very nice bike hopped on the trail as I rolled by his trail entrance. He raced around me got ahead about 40 yards then started looking back as if we were racing. Knowing I was at mile 90, my goal was to make it back, I didn't give a rat's butt about some dude just hopping on the trail. But keeping my pace, I reeled the guy in. He'd race off again but after several fades, he just hopped on my wheel.

He asked where I was headed and I mentioned I was near the end of my century. He asked how many miles I had completed, I replied with 95 at this point. He said," I should be ashamed of myself struggling to keep up with you since being fresh and you have so many miles". I just smiled and said, "I'm just trying to get it done". He asked about my yearly mileage. That year I did 7300 miles. He said, " you have a ton of mileage so why are you still fat?".

I told him that I had been watching my diet and that I guess I'd always just be a fat guy. But his comment triggered off something in my legs. I lifted the pace leaving him behind. When I was clear, I stomped on the pedals and he vanished rather quickly.

I will never be skinny but I'm sure he will always remember the day he got stomped by a fat guy. He should be thanking me for the memory!

After a 62 miler in Casa Grande Arizona at 220'ish. I didn't think I was fat. I rode the first 2/3 of he ride solo with an average of nearly 20 mph. 62 mile in 3:04
Old 08-30-11, 01:49 PM
wfournier

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Duckles McGee
Ditto!
Not to get off topic here but I saw you're in Phoenixville, so am I and Neil_B is just around the corner. Drop me a line if you want to go riding sometime.
Old 08-30-11, 02:40 PM
rex66

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Mr. Beanz
Fat Dude!.....Back in 05 I watched my diet very closely for 2 years or so. I did not eat junk food, mayo, butter and lots of other stuff I enjoy just to see what I could do on the bike at my lowest weight. At 6'1, the best I could do was 218 lbs. I didn't think I was fat but one guy seemed to think so.

I was out on a solo century connecting local trails and part of Pacific Coast Hwy. I was 90 miles into my ride when some skinny dude on a very nice bike hopped on the trail as I rolled by his trail entrance. He raced around me got ahead about 40 yards then started looking back as if we were racing. Knowing I was at mile 90, my goal was to make it back, I didn't give a rat's butt about some dude just hopping on the trail. But keeping my pace, I reeled the guy in. He'd race off again but after several fades, he just hopped on my wheel.

He asked where I was headed and I mentioned I was near the end of my century. He asked how many miles I had completed, I replied with 95 at this point. He said," I should be ashamed of myself struggling to keep up with you since being fresh and you have so many miles". I just smiled and said, "I'm just trying to get it done". He asked about my yearly mileage. That year I did 7300 miles. He said, " you have a ton of mileage so why are you still fat?".

I told him that I had been watching my diet and that I guess I'd always just be a fat guy. But his comment triggered off something in my legs. I lifted the pace leaving him behind. When I was clear, I stomped on the pedals and he vanished rather quickly.

I will never be skinny but I'm sure he will always remember the day he got stomped by a fat guy. He should be thanking me for the memory!

After a 62 miler in Casa Grande Arizona at 220'ish. I didn't think I was fat. I rode the first 2/3 of he ride solo with an average of nearly 20 mph. 62 mile in 3:04
You look like you could be an intimidating fellow. I'm guessing that guy was not very bright. I don't pass remarks that could be construed as insults, but if I did I think I'd start with someone smaller. Like a fourth grader.
Old 08-30-11, 02:45 PM
Duckles McGee

Bikes: Gary Fisher Hard Tail MTB - (looking for a road bike)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by wfournier
Not to get off topic here but I saw you're in Phoenixville, so am I and Neil_B is just around the corner. Drop me a line if you want to go riding sometime.
Apparently I cannot PM until 50 posts, feel free to shoot me note via mgbrushwood at gmail. I doubt I can keep up with my knobby MTB, but I am on the hunt for a road bike. Went for a quick 12mi ride yesterday down the Schuylkill river trail. You cannot beat the post hurricane weather for afternoon/night rides.
Old 08-30-11, 02:56 PM
jimnolimit
attacking the streets!

Bikes: Jamis Coda Elite

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by punkncat
Hey fella, I don't mean to offend, but you DO know what a red light is for, right? You rolled the hell out of at least one less than a minute into your video. Cyclists are required to follow the same road rules as cars, and people do notice when you aren't. Please do yourself and the rest of us a favor and pay attention to this detail. It means a lot.
based on your reaction to that video, if you saw video of my rides, your head would probably explode

Last edited by jimnolimit; 08-30-11 at 03:01 PM.
Old 08-30-11, 03:03 PM
jimnolimit
attacking the streets!

Bikes: Jamis Coda Elite

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by chefisaac
The guy said to his wife "there is the fat guy i was telling you about". Made me smile. At least they are starting to know me! he he he

the guy was probably impressed with your riding, keep it up
Old 08-30-11, 03:06 PM
Mr. Beanz
Banned.

Bikes: Lemond Chambery/Cannondale R-900/Trek 8000 MTB/Burley Duet tandem

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by rex66
You look like you could be an intimidating fellow.
Nah, I'm just a big teddy bear! As far as someone saying, I'm fat, I'll just laugh then try to drive his arse to the ground. I have a good sense of humor not to mention, I have won a ton of money and joy racing people on bikes and foot. But the best part of it all is teaching people not to underestimate a person because you might think he's a fat Clyde.
Old 08-30-11, 04:58 PM
Mithrandir

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Mr. Beanz

Having weighed nearly 460 at my peak, if I ever get down to 218, I am certain I would never think of myself as fat at that weight.
Old 08-30-11, 05:01 PM
Mithrandir

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
On a related note, just opened up and tried out my new scale which measures body fat. 32.7%. Ugh.

Not sure how accurate it is though, because at my current weight that means if I lose all of my fat, I'd still weigh 241 pounds.
Old 08-30-11, 05:02 PM
chefisaac

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
mith: did you lose your weight thus far with riding? How is your eating been? I need to work on that for sure.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.