Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Kryptonite New York 1210

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Kryptonite New York 1210

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-11, 01:25 PM
amgarcia

Bikes: Ciocc Designer 84, 1988 Trek 520

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Kryptonite New York 1210

I have the opportunity to purchase a Kryptonite New York 1210 chain on craigslist. I was eyeing the bigger chains, but this is such a big deal.

I'm headed back to university in Austin, and I suddenly realized how nice my bike is. It'll be easily be one of the nicest on the rack. It'll be locked up on a fairly busy rack anywhere from 4 to 8 hours in a day. If I feel it's necessary, I can check on it every hour or two. Also, I'll have to leave it on the same rack at night for hours sometimes. Although significantly less busy, it's still a pretty busy rack at night.

I'll be coupling it with either my current Kryptonite Evolution or a NYF yellow mini monstrosity that'll be a future purchase.

What is your opinion of this chain? What is the longest time or the most dangerous location you've locked something with this?

Should I just forgo this altogether ($40 for chain, $60 for NYF, and $60 for Pinhead skewers) and just purchase a beater?
Old 12-30-11, 01:31 PM
Transformer
Fair Weather Cyclist

Bikes: R&M Frog, Moulton TSR

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I avoid any locks from private sellers based on an irrational fear of the urban legend that some strangers are professional crooks who sabotage the links or shackles in a cunning plan to steal your bike in the near future.
Old 12-30-11, 01:36 PM
amgarcia

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Transformer
I avoid any locks from private sellers based on an irrational fear of the urban legend that some strangers are professional crooks who sabotage the links or shackles in a cunning plan to steal your bike in the near future.
Crap. Thanks for making me paranoid.
Old 12-30-11, 01:38 PM
Smallwheels

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Checking your bicycle every hour will only let you learn of when your bicycle was stolen.

Unless you and everybody else knows one another and who owns which bicycle, a busy bicycle rack won't make much difference. I don't usually scrutinize the people who are locking and unlocking bicycles. If I ever do see somebody with tools trying to break a lock I'll call security and photograph them if I have a camera with me.
Old 12-30-11, 01:41 PM
amgarcia

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Smallwheels
Checking your bicycle every hour will only let you learn of when your bicycle was stolen.

Unless you and everybody else knows one another and who owns which bicycle, a busy bicycle rack won't make much difference. I don't usually scrutinize the people who are locking and unlocking bicycles. If I ever do see somebody with tools trying to break a lock I'll call security and photograph them if I have a camera with me.
School is much too big for everyone to know which bike is mine, although I'd with the frequency of the rack, I don't know any student biker who wouldn't help another out if someone was blatantly stealing.
Old 12-30-11, 01:49 PM
boro

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My feeling has always been that what matters is making your bike harder to steal than other bikes near it. That said I'd never ride a $1000+ bike to campus... locks don't prevent vandalism or accidents.
Old 12-30-11, 01:56 PM
KrisPistofferson
Immoderator

Bikes: Gary Fisher Simple City 8, Litespeed Obed

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
I dunno about getting a beater, but I wouldn't lock a new Serotta up at a bike rack for 8 hours, ya dig? If it's a busy rack, it might work out in your favor, better that than a rack no one can see except the thieves.
Old 12-30-11, 02:18 PM
amgarcia

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by KrisPistofferson
I dunno about getting a beater, but I wouldn't lock a new Serotta up at a bike rack for 8 hours, ya dig? If it's a busy rack, it might work out in your favor, better that than a rack no one can see except the thieves.
It's only a Surly, but still way more than I'd like to replace.
Old 12-30-11, 02:25 PM
a1penguin

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 139 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 20 Posts
Originally Posted by amgarcia
Crap. Thanks for making me paranoid.
Unless you have them deliver this chain to your house, how are they going to know where to find this bike/lock to steal? The seller is a greater risk if you go to his/her house to check out a house to burgle.
Old 12-30-11, 02:31 PM
chandltp

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro 20, Trek 7000, old Huffy MTB, and a few others

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
After what I saw from a local college campus, I wouldn't want to have a nice bike on a college campus. The guys bike fell over and people stomped all over the rear wheel to get to their bike. It was beyond ruined. I had to work hard just to get the wheel out of the dropouts. It was a Wal-Mart bike, so he just gave it away on FreeCycle and bought a new one.
Old 12-30-11, 02:39 PM
amgarcia

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by chandltp
After what I saw from a local college campus, I wouldn't want to have a nice bike on a college campus. The guys bike fell over and people stomped all over the rear wheel to get to their bike. It was beyond ruined. I had to work hard just to get the wheel out of the dropouts. It was a Wal-Mart bike, so he just gave it away on FreeCycle and bought a new one.
I'm less worried about vandalism and more worried about theft. I rode a old KHS Flite 300 road bike for awhile, which, although Sora, seems pretty nice from the outside despite it's scratches. No one vandalized it, possible because I lock up very carefully.

Theft is my primary concern.