Search
Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

Northeast Racing

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-14, 12:25 PM
Gramercy

Bikes: Trek 1.2

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Tour of Fort Lee crit this weekend, I'm not going due to not riding the past two weeks but seems like it should be fun.
Old 09-04-14, 12:42 PM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

Mentioned: 71 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked 752 Times in 342 Posts
go spectate
Old 09-04-14, 02:38 PM
carpediemracing 

Bikes: Tsunami road bikes, Dolan DF4 track

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 102 Posts
Originally Posted by Gramercy
Tour of Fort Lee crit this weekend, I'm not going due to not riding the past two weeks but seems like it should be fun.
Hang out with the Missus I think, based on the other post I saw. Do something distracting.

Well maybe spectating in Ft Lee would fit that bill
"...during the Lance years, being fit became the No. 1 thing. Totally the only thing. It’s a big part of what we do, but fitness is not the only thing. There’s skills, there’s tactics … there’s all kinds of stuff..." Tim Johnson
Old 09-04-14, 04:17 PM
Stas87

Bikes: road and track

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by gsteinb
go spectate
That is what I'll be doing, helps that I live close enough to ride over and watch
Old 09-08-14, 10:04 AM
mike868y

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 248 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
raced portsmouth yesterday. what an awesome race. fun course, great community involvement. they did everything right, imo. didn't have the balls at the end of the 92 person 3/4 field when I needed it (wish the race had been longer - ended up being <40 minutes) and didn't have the watts to hang onto the tail end of the ben wolfe watt parade in the 123 race. don't think i'll do mayors cup at this point. if it were a straight 3 or a 3/4, sure, but I don't really have enough confidence in my fitness for a 2/3 race right now, which is a bummer as it seems like an awesome race (and is minutes from my house). maybe i'll go watch - that'll probably just make me sad though.
Old 09-14-14, 04:28 PM
mike868y

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
was on the fence about mayors cup because of how bad my road season's been. as a result i hadn't really been checking the pre reg page. well, now it's filled. can't remember the last time i missed out on a race because pre reg filled up. kind of bummed, to be honest, but i guess that's what i deserve. looks like i'm racing cx instead. i'll do mayors cup next year in (hopefully) better shape.
Old 09-14-14, 04:38 PM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

do the masters race.
Old 09-14-14, 04:39 PM
shovelhd

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
He's 25.
Old 09-14-14, 04:40 PM
mike868y

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
22...but i look like i'm 16.
Old 09-14-14, 05:09 PM
shovelhd

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Old 09-14-14, 05:18 PM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

Originally Posted by shovelhd
He's 25.
did you get it with a serious pillow tonight?
Old 10-10-14, 09:13 AM
mike868y

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
anyone racing jamestown? obviously super late in the season but the purse seems pretty big, so I wouldn't be surprised if some fast guys show up. i'll probably race (pending weather, weather.com shows a chance of showers. i'll be dammed if i race in the rain in october) it was my first race though and is super scenic and a beautiful town. i'd like to race. and by race i mean try really hard to hold onto wheels in the 123 field.
Old 10-10-14, 10:29 AM
hubcyclist

Bikes: 2017 Raleigh RX 1.0, 2018 Specialized Allez

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 471 Post(s)
Liked 632 Times in 337 Posts
Originally Posted by mike868y
anyone racing jamestown? obviously super late in the season but the purse seems pretty big, so I wouldn't be surprised if some fast guys show up. i'll probably race (pending weather, weather.com shows a chance of showers. i'll be dammed if i race in the rain in october) it was my first race though and is super scenic and a beautiful town. i'd like to race. and by race i mean try really hard to hold onto wheels in the 123 field.
Me, but Cat 5 of course. Accuweather has a better outlook for Monday, I choose to believe Accuweather!
Old 10-10-14, 11:04 AM
carpediemracing 

My quandary:

Saturday NEXT SUNDAY morning is the Donut Derby. It's about an hour from the house. I realistically won't race it but I'll spectate or something.

Saturday morning there's also a Red Kite Prayer book/signing/ride event at Outdoor Sports Center, the sponsor of the Bethel Spring Series. It's about 2 hours from the house. Again, realistically, I won't ride.

I can't do both.
"...during the Lance years, being fit became the No. 1 thing. Totally the only thing. It’s a big part of what we do, but fitness is not the only thing. There’s skills, there’s tactics … there’s all kinds of stuff..." Tim Johnson

Last edited by carpediemracing; 10-10-14 at 11:13 AM. Reason: my brain is wacky
Old 10-10-14, 11:19 AM
mike868y

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
ha, yeah noaa.gov had better weather as well. i'll probably end up racing. say hi if you see me! expo wheelmen jersey. really short. black bike.
Old 10-10-14, 11:28 AM
hubcyclist

Bikes: 2017 Raleigh RX 1.0, 2018 Specialized Allez

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 471 Post(s)
Liked 632 Times in 337 Posts
Cool, I'll be in a NEBC/cycleloft jersey, nonmatching black shorts and older school blue Raleigh. It looks like the P123 field is pretty small right now on bikereg, maybe lots of people just waiting on the forecast to decide last minute
Old 10-10-14, 11:37 AM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

Originally Posted by carpediemracing
My quandary:

Saturday NEXT SUNDAY morning is the Donut Derby. It's about an hour from the house. I realistically won't race it but I'll spectate or something.

Saturday morning there's also a Red Kite Prayer book/signing/ride event at Outdoor Sports Center, the sponsor of the Bethel Spring Series. It's about 2 hours from the house. Again, realistically, I won't ride.

I can't do both.
25th? I could logistically do that. Where is it?
Old 10-10-14, 11:44 AM
island rider

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by carpediemracing
My quandary:

I can't do both.
I don't know anything about the OSC event, but might be bringing my 6 year old to spectate the Donut Derby before we head down to the circus in Bridgeport. (Boy's weekend, the younger and the mother will be in FLA.) I'm going to see if timing works for him to be able to do the kids race, but not tell him about it in advance so as not to dash hopes.

If I thought someone could watch him while I raced (ate) I would pin a number on myself. I'd tell the wife that much like triathlons, this isn't "bike racing" its an eating competition, and therefore doesn't break my one-year no race promise.
Old 10-10-14, 11:46 AM
mike868y

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
someone explain to me the appeal of watching other people eat donuts.
Old 10-10-14, 01:35 PM
carpediemracing 

Originally Posted by gsteinb
25th? I could logistically do that. Where is it?
My wacky initial post is confusing and it didn't help that I was mistaken.

RKP signing is the 19th, 11 AM.

Donut Derby is the 25th, 10 AM.

I may be able to do both.

Originally Posted by island rider
I don't know anything about the OSC event, but might be bringing my 6 year old to spectate the Donut Derby before we head down to the circus in Bridgeport. (Boy's weekend, the younger and the mother will be in FLA.) I'm going to see if timing works for him to be able to do the kids race, but not tell him about it in advance so as not to dash hopes.

If I thought someone could watch him while I raced (ate) I would pin a number on myself. I'd tell the wife that much like triathlons, this isn't "bike racing" its an eating competition, and therefore doesn't break my one-year no race promise.
If you bring your 6 year old I can look after him (can't speak for the Missus so I won't say "we"). In terms of the riding bit there is a bit of a curving descent, has a good solid left hand sweeper that is blind but you can go 100% full speed. The hill is ridiculously steep and dirt. Group ride with corner a corner marshal on the one "busy" turn.

It's the social aspect of hanging out with various people that thing bike racing is a good thing, mainly parents of racers. Also there's the whole "my kid loves watching any bikes go by" thing. I figure hiking up the hill a bit with him might be fun.

We went to the Simsbury Farms CX race, mainly because it was about 10 minutes away from the house. Took pictures for the first lap and then Junior found the playground. Watched him play, talked with other parents, met the Cote's grandparents, etc.
Old 10-11-14, 06:24 AM
globecanvas
Ninny

Mentioned: 53 Post(s)
Quoted: 686 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'm 50/50 on the Donut Derby. Unfortunately our calendar is overfilled on the 25th, to the point where the usual "but I put it on the calendar first" argument gets swamped. If I do come I'll bring a few teammates.
Old 10-11-14, 07:26 AM
shovelhd

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I can't race it this year but if anyone is looking to set up a rider-eater team I might be persuaded to engorge.
Old 10-11-14, 07:54 AM
aaacidrap

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'll be in the cat 4 race with a teammate. Love the course, always a great way to end the season!
Old 10-11-14, 08:57 AM
gsteinb
out walking the earth

Originally Posted by shovelhd

I can't race it this year but if anyone is looking to set up a rider-eater team I might be persuaded to engorge.
Not sure yet, but I may go.
Old 10-11-14, 05:42 PM
carpediemracing 

Originally Posted by island rider

I'm committed to not racing. I'll go though. If it's cold like it was last year the Missus and Junior won't go. However, regardless of what they do, I can look after your 6 year old.

It's a hike to the start/finish area from the parking lot, something like a mile. There are some spots to park at the start/finish (couple hundred yards away) which is what I plan on doing. I'm going to bring a camera, not much else.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.