Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Folding Bikes
Reload this Page >

Bike Friday Trailer hitch

Notices
Folding Bikes Discuss the unique features and issues of folding bikes. Also a great place to learn what folding bike will work best for your needs.

Bike Friday Trailer hitch

Old 05-01-20, 02:11 PM
Jipe

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 247 Times in 211 Posts
I have also this special for Brompton hitch ball one but I had to rework it a little to make it fit with the Rohloff external gear box.

The standard hitch ball fits with a Rohloff without any rework.
Old 05-12-20, 11:56 AM
gdlerner

Bikes: Pocket Llama

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
I just got a used weber e and I tried to mounting on a the bike but I am not sure if I am doing right please see the pictures ,for what is the small metal part where you put the safe metal rope it is ok like this in the air or need to be close to the frame.The problem is with the Rohloff I need some space I just put some metal part to use as a space need something better
Thanks

Old 05-12-20, 12:33 PM
gdlerner

Bikes: Pocket Llama

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
I just find out the weber cargo they don t have this extra part
Do you think is a good to buy this part
https://www.weber-products.de/de/sho...product-id=823 to get more sapce?
Old 05-12-20, 01:55 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18347 Post(s)
Liked 4,496 Times in 3,343 Posts
I like the looks of those Weber hitches, although I don't see the lock mechanism.

My German isn't very good.

Obviously you only need that keyed washer if you actually need the actual space, or have a dropout that doesn't fit the hitch well.

I see they sell the cables. I'd send a note to the company asking if you can buy the catch for the cables.

https://www.weber-products.de/de/sho...product-id=806

Personally, I only carry cargo with my trailers, and never kids. I generally don't use any safety straps/cables, and they only seem to get in the way. In general, I'd be more concerned with a loose trailer attached to the bicycle than a loose trailer disconnected from the bicycle.
Old 05-12-20, 04:42 PM
2_i 

Bikes: Trek 730 (quad), 720 & 830, Bike Friday NWT, Brompton M36R & M6R, Dahon HAT060 & HT060, ...

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 840 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 251 Posts
Originally Posted by CliffordK
I see they sell the cables. I'd send a note to the company asking if you can buy the catch for the cables.

https://www.weber-products.de/de/sho...product-id=806

Personally, I only carry cargo with my trailers, and never kids. I generally don't use any safety straps/cables, and they only seem to get in the way. In general, I'd be more concerned with a loose trailer attached to the bicycle than a loose trailer disconnected from the bicycle.
Think about going uphill and the trailer detaching and running under a public bus or something. The securing cable does not necessarily need to be from the hitch manufacturer - just any reasonably thick cable with loop ends made.
Old 05-12-20, 05:16 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18347 Post(s)
Liked 4,496 Times in 3,343 Posts
Originally Posted by 2_i
Think about going uphill and the trailer detaching and running under a public bus or something. The securing cable does not necessarily need to be from the hitch manufacturer - just any reasonably thick cable with loop ends made.
Driver's are supposed to take evasive actions based on their own safety. Of course, they might not necessarily be able to instantly discern whether you have a kid or cargo onboard, but the bus could just go right over the top of a cargo trailer and keep going.

While getting something caught in the rear spokes is less dangerous than getting it caught in the front, it could still potentially take a cyclist down, which could equally have dangerous consequences.