Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

The Wacky World of Craigslist and eBay Ads

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

The Wacky World of Craigslist and eBay Ads

Old 09-25-20, 06:34 AM
madpogue 

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2362 Post(s)
Liked 1,745 Times in 1,189 Posts
^^^^^ Any visible branding is either a brand or model name for the bike, right? Like the ads for a "Peugeot Caroblite 103" that always show up. It's like selling a de-badged truck as a "Ford Bridgestone".

Actually, when I was on a Saturn forum, a guy posted that when he got a traffic ticket, the cop wrote it up with a make of "Saturn" and model name of "Twincam".
Old 09-25-20, 09:22 AM
scratchpaddy
peddles & breaks

Bikes: 1986 Schwinn Prelude, 1988 Basso Arrenacia, 2001 Soma Smoothie

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 88 Post(s)
Liked 217 Times in 53 Posts
To be fair, Saturns in the 90's were all basically one car with three body options and two engine choices: the single cam, or twin cam. One model name, for example, was "SC2", meaning Saturn Coupe, Twincam. Hardly anyone knew what those model names were, because they weren't labeled. Since the twin cam was the up-level option, those cars would get a prominent "Twin Cam" badge, as the only identifying mark on the car besides the Saturn badges.
Likes For scratchpaddy:
Old 09-25-20, 09:37 AM
Charliekeet

Bikes: S-Works Stumpjumper HT Disc, Fuji Absolute, Kona Jake the Snake, '85 Cannondale SR900

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 219 Post(s)
Liked 217 Times in 142 Posts
Originally Posted by scratchpaddy
To be fair, Saturns in the 90's were all basically one car with three body options and two engine choices: the single cam, or twin cam. One model name, for example, was "SC2", meaning Saturn Coupe, Twincam. Hardly anyone knew what those model names were, because they weren't labeled. Since the twin cam was the up-level option, those cars would get a prominent "Twin Cam" badge, as the only identifying mark on the car besides the Saturn badges.
Exactly. And you know you’re a car guy/gal when you can tell Saturns apart! SL1, SL2, coupe, wagon... all pretty much the same thing.
Old 09-25-20, 09:38 AM
madpogue 

Originally Posted by scratchpaddy
Yes, that was a quirk of the S-Series, not known to most who didn't own them (and some who did). Similar to the pre-1984 Treks, which is why one often sees ads for a "Trek 022", etc. Still, it seems a bit obvious that "Twin Cam" refes to a _feature_, similar to "Kompressor" on a Benz so equipped, or "Hybrid" on a Prius. Seems like the tendency to reference "advanced" features on car badges has waned in recent years.
Old 09-25-20, 10:20 AM
Clang

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1119 Post(s)
Liked 2,239 Times in 1,307 Posts
Mixed messages here.

Just in time for some fall riding - $123 (Faribault, MN)

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...15814612498470

Old 09-25-20, 01:39 PM
ShannonM

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 405 Post(s)
Liked 430 Times in 286 Posts
Originally Posted by beicster
I really like my Voyageur but at this price, I might consider letting it go.

Yahrite? That dude is so irritating that I have started adding "-charity" to all my ebay searches, cuz his ads irritate the crap outta me. So much do they irritate me that I do this even on non-bike-related eBay searches, on the assumption that anybody who puts "charity" in their ad titles is just as much of a tool as this tool.

Has anyone researched this cat? What "charity" is he trying to fund by selling ordinary 1980s bikes for 8 times what they're worth? Has this jackwagon ever sold a bike to anyone? And if he did, did the buyer show up at his house and kick his ass when they found out how badly they'd been boned?

There's gotta be more to this... anybody know what is the Real Deal?

--Shannon
Likes For ShannonM:
Old 09-25-20, 02:05 PM
J.Higgins 
2-Wheeled Fool

Bikes: Surly Ogre, Brompton

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1385 Post(s)
Liked 677 Times in 457 Posts
Originally Posted by ShannonM
Yahrite? That dude is so irritating that I have started adding "-charity" to all my ebay searches, cuz his ads irritate the crap outta me. So much do they irritate me that I do this even on non-bike-related eBay searches, on the assumption that anybody who puts "charity" in their ad titles is just as much of a tool as this tool.

Has anyone researched this cat? What "charity" is he trying to fund by selling ordinary 1980s bikes for 8 times what they're worth? Has this jackwagon ever sold a bike to anyone? And if he did, did the buyer show up at his house and kick his ass when they found out how badly they'd been boned?

--Shannon
Do you think anyone ever falls for this scam? In my mind I am thinking that there must be some complete idiots out there if so. Its still debatable whether or not P.T. Barnum ever coined the phrase, but there seriously is a sucker born every minute. I just couldn't live with myself if I ever screwed anyone over like that. I had a brief stint of selling cars when I was between careers, and sold a poor family a brand-new Cadillac with a super-high interest rate because of their low credit score. When the paperwork was signed and they got the keys, they immediately lit up some butts and drove off, happy as clams at high tide. I was so sick that I didn't sleep for a couple days.
Old 09-25-20, 02:32 PM
Mad Honk 

Bikes: Paramount, Faggin, Ochsner, Ciocc, Basso

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 1300 Post(s)
Liked 1,900 Times in 1,136 Posts
Originally Posted by ShannonM

--Shannon
Shannon,
This guy is actually the Madison bike co-op in Wisconsin. The prices are almost always near retail, no explanation from them when inquiring. I wound up buying a chrome 700 c fork that was on a damaged track bike they listed for for over $100 I asked them to pull the fork for me, and trash the rest of it. I think I paid $20 for the fork. I always remind them that I participate in the Bloomington co-op. I am thinking there are only a few retail shops in the downtown area so they can command high prices from the students there. Just my speculation about it. Smiles, MH
Old 09-25-20, 02:58 PM
ShannonM

Quoted: 405 Post(s)
Liked 430 Times in 286 Posts
Originally Posted by Mad Honk
Shannon,
This guy is actually the Madison bike co-op in Wisconsin. The prices are almost always near retail, no explanation from them when inquiring. I wound up buying a chrome 700 c fork that was on a damaged track bike they listed for for over $100 I asked them to pull the fork for me, and trash the rest of it. I think I paid $20 for the fork. I always remind them that I participate in the Bloomington co-op. I am thinking there are only a few retail shops in the downtown area so they can command high prices from the students there. Just my speculation about it. Smiles, MH
2 grand for an 85 Schwinn isn't "near retail." It's straight-up dishonesty and exploitation and just plain screwing people. And being a co-op doesn't make it acceptable, or even less bad. I work at one, and we'd never, ever do this. It's scummy and it's sleazy and he shouldn't do it and he should be mocked and shamed until he stops doing it.

Harsh, but that's how I see it.

--Shannon
Old 09-25-20, 03:22 PM
madpogue 

^^^^^^^ There's no "he". It's an organization with a board of directors and both volunteer and paid staff. They recently expanded their operation, having been chosen to operate the new bike station downtown. Yes, their prices are high, and I'd never pay anything close to what they're asking. But they're not delivering anything less than what they're advertising. There's nothing dishonest about it. Every potential buyer's browser has a "back" button.

I used to visit there frequently to buy used parts, and bought a couple of project bikes from them. Most of those prices were very reasonable. I have no idea if they actually get the BIN prices on anything they put on eBay and I don't really care. People willing to pay those prices, or anything close to them, are keeping a local community resource in business. And they do fix up a lot of bikes to give away outside the US.

For those who really don't want to see their bikes on eBay, I believe there's a search option to exclude by seller; that would be more useful than a "-charity" exclusion, which may exclude things you actually want to see.

If you really want to see amusingly high prices on used (albeit, in many cases, museum condition) bicycles, visit Budget Bicycle's (also in Madison) web site some time. I don't think they sell on eBay, however.
Old 09-27-20, 09:19 AM
Fahrenheit531 
52psi

Bikes: Schwinn Volare ('78); Raleigh Competition GS ('79)

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 801 Times in 390 Posts
Looks very much legit.

SEARS VINTAGE MOTOR ASSIST FREE SPIRIT - $350 (NORTH PHOENIX)

...and last but certainly not least, the view from the cockpit:
A race bike in any era is a highly personal choice that at its "best" balances the requirements of fit, weight, handling, durability and cost tempered by the willingness to toss it and oneself down the pavement at considerable speed. ~Bandera
Old 09-27-20, 09:37 AM
wheelgofar

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 11 Posts
Recently saw a craigslist ad for 2020 S-Works Venge for $800. Sometimes, I'll see an ad where the pics are taken off a current ebay auction. What are these scammers hoping to get?
Old 09-27-20, 09:43 AM
Unca_Sam
The dropped

Bikes: Pake C'Mute Touring/Commuter Build, 1989 Kona Cinder Cone, 1995 Trek 5200, 1973 Raleigh Super Course FG, 1960/61 Montgomery Ward Hawthorne "thrift" 3 speed, by Hercules (sold) : 1966 Schwinn Deluxe Racer (sold)

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1739 Post(s)
Liked 1,014 Times in 696 Posts
Originally Posted by Fahrenheit531
Looks very much legit.

SEARS VINTAGE MOTOR ASSIST FREE SPIRIT - $350 (NORTH PHOENIX)

...and last but certainly not least, the view from the cockpit:
It very much looks legit! Too bad it's missing the fuel cap, but it's better designed than 60% of the kits available now. See how the exhaust is aimed at the ground, well away from the rider's skin? It even has what looks like a rudimentary muffler! The biggest downside is how it'll wear on your front tire.
Likes For Unca_Sam:
Old 09-28-20, 06:37 AM
NJgreyhead

Bikes: Frequently

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Liked 250 Times in 130 Posts
Here's one. It's made of weldable carbon-fiber, apparently. Pedals not included.
https://cnj.craigslist.org/bik/d/eas...204212652.html

Old 09-28-20, 11:01 AM
madpogue 

Originally Posted by NJgreyhead
Here's one. It's made of weldable carbon-fiber, apparently. Pedals not included.
https://cnj.craigslist.org/bik/d/eas...204212652.html

In my experience, it's not uncommon to see road bikes sold without pedals, or with cheap plastic test ride pedals. The seat post is, er.... interesting, however.
Old 09-28-20, 11:15 AM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 1604 Post(s)
Liked 2,569 Times in 1,217 Posts
Originally Posted by madpogue
In my experience, it's not uncommon to see road bikes sold without pedals, or with cheap plastic test ride pedals. The seat post is, er.... interesting, however.
Old 09-28-20, 12:55 PM
NJgreyhead

Bikes: Frequently

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 158 Post(s)
Liked 250 Times in 130 Posts
"In my experience, it's not uncommon to see road bikes sold without pedals"
I mentioned 'pedals not included' because the CL listing said that. I didn't see any pedals in the pic.
Yes, the seatpost is what caught my eye in the first place.
Old 09-28-20, 01:50 PM
wheelgofar

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by hazetguy
it's nearing the end of 2020 and people are still asking why scammers run scam ads? really?

there are several bike scam ads running on CL all the time, and so many scam ads in other CL categories it's unreal. flag them, and move on.
My question must've seemed pretty unsophisticated to you. hehehe
Old 09-28-20, 05:28 PM
WGB 
WGB

Bikes: Panasonic PT-4500

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 1794 Post(s)
Liked 2,328 Times in 1,375 Posts
Sort of an answer looking for a problem??
https://offerup.com/item/detail/691211336/

$145

GT Redline Raleigh Diamondback Jameis road bike mountain bike BMX chair 4 Fishing or whatever best offer

Ships from San Antonio, TX for $13.99
$145 OBO + shipping

Reconditioned/Certified"Great chair for Father's Day the green they're not spokes there green covered cable taking best offer but it does have places that hold your poles the water umbrella and it's comfortable and Light and one of a kind"

And yes, I get seller replaced spokes with cables in an attempt to make it comfortable.
Old 09-28-20, 05:55 PM
Mad Honk 

Bikes: Paramount, Faggin, Ochsner, Ciocc, Basso

Mentioned: 115 Post(s)
Quoted: 1300 Post(s)
Liked 1,900 Times in 1,136 Posts
Wesley,
A problem looking for an answer is: Where is our little fugitive? Har! Har! Har! Smiles, MH
Old 09-28-20, 06:06 PM
unworthy1
Stop reading my posts!

Mentioned: 89 Post(s)
Quoted: 1439 Post(s)
Liked 1,054 Times in 781 Posts
Originally Posted by madpogue
^^^^^^^ There's no "he". It's an organization with a board of directors and both volunteer and paid staff. They recently expanded their operation, having been chosen to operate the new bike station downtown. Yes, their prices are high, and I'd never pay anything close to what they're asking. But they're not delivering anything less than what they're advertising. There's nothing dishonest about it. Every potential buyer's browser has a "back" button.

I used to visit there frequently to buy used parts, and bought a couple of project bikes from them. Most of those prices were very reasonable. I have no idea if they actually get the BIN prices on anything they put on eBay and I don't really care. People willing to pay those prices, or anything close to them, are keeping a local community resource in business. And they do fix up a lot of bikes to give away outside the US.

For those who really don't want to see their bikes on eBay, I believe there's a search option to exclude by seller; that would be more useful than a "-charity" exclusion, which may exclude things you actually want to see.

If you really want to see amusingly high prices on used (albeit, in many cases, museum condition) bicycles, visit Budget Bicycle's (also in Madison) web site some time. I don't think they sell on eBay, however.

I make a habit of avoiding what I'm about to do, which is to get into a sidebar/political discussion that has only transitory relation to classic & vintage bicycle topics, but here's what I'd like to see:
Somebody with much deeper pockets than me should contact the co-op with this offer: "I will donate to you [legitimate registered tax-deductible charity] the amount of (using this ad as example) $2000. Then you promise to sell this (donated to your co-op for free) bicycle to a genuine essential worker, like a first responder, nurse, fire fighter...(you should know who they are, they probably live in your 'hood), who needs a bike for transportation. Promise to sell it for the "remainder price" of $51.77 and we'll call it "even" and "sold". That would be a fine outcome in my book, and something like "just desserts". Sad to say it's just a fantasy.
Likes For unworthy1:
Old 09-30-20, 11:32 AM
Headpost

Bikes: I've stopped at seven.

Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked 302 Times in 185 Posts
No, I'm not selling because of the massive crush-dents in the top tube! What gave you that idea? I just happened to get the urge to strip all the parts off of this frame and put them on another one. What? You're telling me you've never done that? Some people, sheesh!

Likes For Headpost:
Old 09-30-20, 10:29 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
Originally Posted by cog_nate
I know there's a rabid vintage BMX subculture, but this asking price for two tires seems nuts to me: https://kansascity.craigslist.org/bo...190481600.html.
this, today, asking eighty bucks:

https://sacramento.craigslist.org/bo...202916376.html

Last edited by Darth Lefty; 09-30-20 at 10:38 PM.
Old 10-02-20, 01:17 AM
pierce
S'Cruzer

Bikes: too many

Quoted: 41 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 17 Posts
BMX bikes boggle me.

I go to a music festival every year, held up in the mountains, 4 days of bluegrass and folk and other such acoustic/roots stuff. family oreinted, remote location with 5000 or 6000 people camping. one year, as I was cleaning my camp area on 'leaving' day, I came across an abandoned BMX... as it was quite late into the leaving time, and almost everyone was gone, I figured I'd bring it over to the lost and found whihc was just up the way from us... this was the most incredibly beat-upon bike I've ever seen. I don't think either wheel or the crank set had any ball bearings left, they were all sloppy banging around, but somehow still going forward. the little bike weighed a TON, the frame was this heavy gauge steel affair, the spokes looked like motorcycle spokes, etc etc. bald tires that barely held air. coaster brake that barely worked. somehow in spite of all the wobble the chain stayed on.
Old 10-02-20, 03:11 AM
billnuke1 

Bikes: Only my riders left...

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 350 Post(s)
Liked 782 Times in 389 Posts
?!

Hope it isn’t stuck, too!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.