Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Every cyclist needs to watch this.

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Every cyclist needs to watch this.

Old 06-15-20, 10:46 AM
burnthesheep
Newbie racer

Bikes: Propel, red is faster

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1575 Post(s)
Liked 1,568 Times in 973 Posts
Helmet thing is simple, no words to strangers and nobody allowed in the group without one, period. Pretty easy way to go about it. I've heard of folks getting DQ's at USAC races or time penalties in IM races for violation of helmet rules. Typical one is the "smooth roll up" on bike with no helmet to acquire your number/checkin. Not cool once they either DQ you or dock you time. If it's just backwards a really subtle tap to the head and then a twirl of the wrist indicating "backwards" when nobody else is watching them is usually received with appreciation.

I don't say anything about bike fit to anybody that won't be riding in physical pain or risk of injury. It's too personal. If you ask though, be prepared. It's a combo of science, witchcraft, and wisdom.

The skewer thing in all our groups would be a non starter, they'd tell you to fix it or find another group.

One local group addresses the new riders in a unique way:
-must intro into the B-group or C-group
-first meetup they do a pre-ride inspection for safety and go over all mandatory group rules and norms
-group leader stays with newbie first ride or so to chat and observe
Old 06-15-20, 10:50 AM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,094 Times in 5,053 Posts
The only time I'm criticizing other cyclists to their face is if they're significantly endangering themselves, me and/or other people--passing kids too close, for example or randomly popping into my lane from the other side. I also used to tell people to turn off their damn bright strobes on the bike path (that really is a safety issue), but that fad appears to have come to an end around here. I really haven't been blinded by one in at least a year and a half.

And platform pedals rule!
Old 06-15-20, 12:45 PM
sacr

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
I see bike shops as a big part of the problem, insisting you have to have x, y piece of kit because that is what the hard core guys have.

Recently I enquired about getting a high vis waterproof jacket for my daily commute. The offerings at two local bike stores were crazily expensive and not even suitable for commuter cycling. A rain jacket that is shorter at the front, belly button... really, so one gets soaked from the undies down, what world are these people living in, was told that this is how jackets ought to be so one can still lean over the bars without restriction.

needless to say, I didn’t get a jacket from a bike shop. I get it, if I’m riding in the Tour de France, then a jacket like that makes sense, but me, I’m riding from a to b in the rain and don’t want to too wet and cold. Ended up just buying a high vis breathable vest to put over my existing lightweight gortex trekking jacket.
Old 06-16-20, 10:56 AM
CyclingFever
I got a fever.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 16 Posts
If the rider isn't riding recklessly and endangering themselves or another than is it really anyone's place to tell them they are doing it wrong? Now if they ask for advice that's different.
Old 06-25-20, 01:35 PM
COYSpurs

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
This is perfect and well said! Great post.
Old 06-25-20, 02:29 PM
ofajen
Cheerfully low end

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 642 Post(s)
Liked 1,040 Times in 663 Posts
I don’t say anything about helmets, but I’ve been thinking “put on a helmet, dummy”. But this video reminded me of the many, many miles I rode as a teen on roads and highways without a helmet. Typically wore my Campy hat and sunglasses. Only the nerdiest of the nerdy rode with a helmet back then. So, now I’m worried about them riding a MUP with no helmet. I’m thinking maybe I pay a bit less mind to adults riding without helmets. Most likely they will figure that out, I hope.

Otto

Last edited by ofajen; 06-25-20 at 02:35 PM.
Old 06-25-20, 02:42 PM
ofajen
Cheerfully low end

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 642 Post(s)
Liked 1,040 Times in 663 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
I'm 59, and I'm damn fast in my tee shirts and cargo pants, and I really like the extra pockets. I used to be fast on my hybrid, now I'm fast on my old road bikes.

P.S. I'm allergic to latex, and I don't mean that metaphorically.
This is our summer time and it tends to be plenty hot. I like to ride wearing a plain white t-shirt that I’ve cut the sleeves out of. Still keeps sun and heat off my back and shoulders but vents a lot. Also I have a ready supply from the undershirts I wear under dress shirts for a while and then put out to pasture as biking and pool garb.

Otto