Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

In need of a bike sound doctor

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 08-22-20, 06:59 PM
tsmith41094

Bikes: Canyon Aeroad CF SLX Disc, Trek Madone SLR, Canyon Ultimate CF SLX

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts

Been trying to diagnose a sound on the bike that has started over the past couple days.

I get a pretty loud creak/click when climbing out of the saddle in the small ring. It usually happens once a pedal stroke but seems like it can be inconsistent at times (sometimes almost like a quick double click). I was thinking it could have something to do with the bottom bracket but I don't seem to notice it when in the big ring (also climbing out of saddle). Wouldn't think that'd matter if it were a BB issue.

Definitely a different noise than brake rub or something like that. Also seems to be coming from the core of the bike.

Any ideas?
Old 08-22-20, 07:23 PM
Bob the Mech

Bikes: 2016 Trek Emonda S6 frameset, custom build (road). 1995 Dawes Genesis Reynolds 531 Competition frameset, custom build (road). 1996 Orange C16R frameset, custom build (retro MTB). Coyote Dual hard-tail, custom build (MTB).

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked 76 Times in 55 Posts
Check for play in the pedals. Check for play in the BB. Check all the nuts and bolts on the crank arms and chain rings are torqued to the right amount. Then go from there.
Likes For Bob the Mech:
Old 08-22-20, 07:29 PM
Flip Flop Rider

Bikes: 2010 Fuji Absolute 3.0 1994 Trek 850

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 555 Times in 322 Posts
take your phone out and record the sound, then upload as a video (that can be done right?)
Old 08-22-20, 07:31 PM
curbtender

Bikes: Miyata 618 GT, Marinoni, Kestral 200 2002 Trek 5200, KHS Flite, Koga Miyata, Schwinn Spitfire 5, Mondia Special, Univega Alpina, Miyata team Ti, Santa Cruz Highball

Mentioned: 52 Post(s)
Quoted: 1605 Post(s)
Liked 2,569 Times in 1,217 Posts
What is your bb and crank?
Old 08-22-20, 09:42 PM
tsmith41094

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Thanks for all the replies.

Iv'e gone through to check if anything is loose/off and it seems like its in pretty good shape.

I should also add that it's basically a brand new bike (2020 Trek Madone). It does still have the press fit BB which I know has been a source of issues for some. Just didn't think there should be problems with something only a couple months old.

I'm not sure if Ill be able to get a video of it since I'm typically in the middle of going up a hill when its happening. I can try to think of something though.
Old 08-22-20, 10:03 PM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1943 Post(s)
Liked 2,164 Times in 1,323 Posts
Did you check to see if the derailleur cable was clicking against the frame or crank arm?

I had a similar issue in with a click only on one chainring that was driving me crazy turned out to be the cable end cap.

John
Old 08-22-20, 10:05 PM
tsmith41094

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by 70sSanO
Did you check to see if the derailleur cable was clicking against the frame or crank arm?

I had a similar issue in with a click only on one chainring that was driving me crazy turned out to be the cable end cap.

John
It's a Di2 groupset so I don't think there is anything that should be clicking against the derailleur
Old 08-22-20, 10:35 PM
70sSanO

Bikes: 1986 Cannondale SR400 (Flat bar commuter), 1988 Cannondale Criterium XTR, 1992 Serotta T-Max, 1995 Trek 970

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1943 Post(s)
Liked 2,164 Times in 1,323 Posts
Originally Posted by tsmith41094
It's a Di2 groupset so I don't think there is anything that should be clicking against the derailleur
LOL! You are certainly correct on that.

John
Old 08-22-20, 10:42 PM
Le Mechanic

Bikes: 2020 Pivot Vault, 1983 Rossin Record, Garneau R1, Mesamods home built gravel/rain commuter bike, 1995 Barracuda A2V modified with Surley single speed dropouts, 1969 Bottecchia junkyard special fixed gear, Cervelo P4, Mesamods 650b klunker

Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked 72 Times in 50 Posts
I've been diagnosing and fixing mystery noises on bikes for almost 40 years. It seems to me the path of least resistance is to check all the easy stuff first rather than the typical replace the bottom bracket, but many other things sound like they're coming from the bottom bracket, but turn out to be something else. I made a Youtube video about a year and a half ago with some examples of things that make annoying noises, but are easy to fix that may be some good places to check/start:

Likes For Le Mechanic:
Old 08-23-20, 01:30 AM
tsmith41094

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Le Mechanic
I've been diagnosing and fixing mystery noises on bikes for almost 40 years. It seems to me the path of least resistance is to check all the easy stuff first rather than the typical replace the bottom bracket, but many other things sound like they're coming from the bottom bracket, but turn out to be something else. I made a Youtube video about a year and a half ago with some examples of things that make annoying noises, but are easy to fix that may be some good places to check/start:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SR5_xUBipa0&t=173s
Thanks, great video! Its tough because so many of the common causes are related to wear/age/etc. With my bike being brand new, I find myself struggling to find things to check.

What would you say are the most common/reliable tells you've found when you HAVE been able to diagnose the issue as being the BB? I don't know if the fact my situation only happens in certain situations (under load + out of the saddle + in the small ring) makes it more or less likely the BB is the issue.

Thanks again!
Old 08-23-20, 06:35 AM
Moe Zhoost
Half way there

Bikes: Many, and the list changes frequently

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 985 Post(s)
Liked 879 Times in 526 Posts
To me, there is a difference between a creak and a click. If your noise is more like a creak, don't rule out your bars/stem. When climbing out of the saddle you exert more force on the bars and sometimes they complain a bit.
Old 08-23-20, 06:43 AM
Grouperdawg

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 14 Posts
My experience is most creaks are in the handlebar stem area , first place I would look
Old 08-23-20, 07:04 AM
Mojo31
-------

Quoted: 9650 Post(s)
Liked 6,363 Times in 3,503 Posts
My similar ticking sounds were from spokes that were a bit loose.
Old 08-23-20, 08:16 AM
Mulberry20

Quoted: 440 Post(s)
Liked 199 Times in 136 Posts
If you have the tools, just look at everything including the torque on the cassette lock ring.
Old 08-23-20, 06:26 PM
tsmith41094

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Mulberry20
If you have the tools, just look at everything including the torque on the cassette lock ring.
Would this generally be related to too tight or too loose on the cassette ring lock? One thing I haven't checked yet.

I will keep checking everything I can think of. As far as the noise goes, definitely more of a creak vs. a click. I was out riding today and I can get the bike to make the noise basically on every down-stroke of the pedal (right and left).

Anyone know what I should be looking for to determine if the handlebars/stem is the issue?

Thanks!
Old 08-23-20, 06:31 PM
Mulberry20

Would this generally be related to too tight or too loose on the cassette ring lock? One thing I haven't checked yet.

I will keep checking everything I can think of. As far as the noise goes, definitely more of a creak vs. a click. I was out riding today and I can get the bike to make the noise basically on every down-stroke of the pedal (right and left).

Anyone know what I should be looking for to determine if the handlebars/stem is the issue?

Thanks!
Too loose. You can check by holding the cassette and wiggling the cogs. They shouldn’t move. Since this happens on the small chain ring I am assuming you are up on the cassette. Those cogs are often loose. They could still feel tight by hand and not be while you pedal. That ring gets torqued 40 to 50 depending on the cassette. The creak could be the cogs moving on the freehub body.

Last edited by Mulberry20; 08-23-20 at 06:35 PM.
Old 08-23-20, 07:27 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4335 Post(s)
Liked 3,958 Times in 2,646 Posts
Make sure everything is properly torqued and tightened. That would be the first thing to do and plus it is not a bad idea to check that stuff anyway.
Old 08-23-20, 07:56 PM
tsmith41094

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Too loose. You can check by holding the cassette and wiggling the cogs. They shouldn’t move. Since this happens on the small chain ring I am assuming you are up on the cassette. Those cogs are often loose. They could still feel tight by hand and not be while you pedal. That ring gets torqued 40 to 50 depending on the cassette. The creak could be the cogs moving on the freehub body.
OK, think I may have found something

Took the rear wheel off to check the cassette. Lock ring was dead tight but it seemed like there was still a bit of play in the cassette. Pulled the cassette off and it seems like the play is in the free hub (i.e., moves in and out a bit when I pull/push it).

Is this normal or is something loose/wrong?

Apologize for my naivety, certainly no bike mechanic.
Old 08-23-20, 08:16 PM
Mulberry20

OK, think I may have found something

Took the rear wheel off to check the cassette. Lock ring was dead tight but it seemed like there was still a bit of play in the cassette. Pulled the cassette off and it seems like the play is in the free hub (i.e., moves in and out a bit when I pull/push it).

Is this normal or is something loose/wrong?

Apologize for my naivety, certainly no bike mechanic.
The freehub shouldn’t wiggle but I have Campy stuff so I don’t know if Shimano’s should wiggle or not.

The cassette can appear to be tight but not torqued properly. The required torque is very high so it appearing tight to you doesn’t mean much. Have a mechanic torque it and see if there is play in the cassette.

Do you have a lock ring socket?

Last edited by Mulberry20; 08-23-20 at 08:20 PM.
Old 08-23-20, 08:43 PM
Flip Flop Rider

Bikes: 2010 Fuji Absolute 3.0 1994 Trek 850

Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 555 Times in 322 Posts
creak could be the seat post
Old 08-23-20, 09:22 PM
cyclist2000

Bikes: Masi, Giant TCR, Eisentraut (retired), Jamis Aurora Elite, Zullo, Cannondale, 84 & 93 Stumpjumpers, Waterford, Tern D8, Bianchi, Gunner Roadie, Serotta, Serotta Duette, was gifted a Diamond Back

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 305 Post(s)
Liked 2,038 Times in 604 Posts
I had one today that was my shoe cleats
Old 08-23-20, 09:50 PM
tsmith41094

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
The freehub shouldn’t wiggle but I have Campy stuff so I don’t know if Shimano’s should wiggle or not.

The cassette can appear to be tight but not torqued properly. The required torque is very high so it appearing tight to you doesn’t mean much. Have a mechanic torque it and see if there is play in the cassette.

Do you have a lock ring socket?
Ya, I've go the lock ring socket and I feel like I tightened the thing about as far as it could go and there was still that little bit of that side-to-side play.

Checked the wheel on my other bike and it doesn't seem to wiggle at all (also Shimano). Not sure if that would vary from wheel to wheel.
Old 08-24-20, 05:16 PM
BoraxKid

Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked 109 Times in 72 Posts
I had a similar issue on my touring bike, and I spent the better part of a week trying to isolate the sound. I took the pedals off, checked the cable end, and cleaned & re-greased every little piece I thought might be contributing to the sound.

It turned out the aglet on my shoe lace was hitting the crank arm as I pedaled. I was only able to hear the sound while climbing--when there was reduced road noise at the slower speed combined with constant pedaling. Once I tucked in my shoe laces, the sound disappeared for good. Hopefully, you find a similarly simple source for your noise.
Old 08-24-20, 07:33 PM
Grouperdawg

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 14 Posts
Can you have someone sit on and. hold the bike for you and try to move the bars and other things around and see if you hear anything ?

It could be a lot of things but to me i would still look based on what you have described probably the cockpit first . I would mark everything then disassemble and apply some of the grease like you use for a seat post with the grit that says it made for handle bars etc. I think some people call it fiber paste or grip I would double check with a bike shop for sure and make sure you get the right stuff though

Carbon is very slippery and usually with creaks this is often the source. Could be the saddle rails, seat post etc The grease helps with the connection so less torque is needed or I should say the correct torque works as it’s supposed to

I wouldn’t be tightening a lot of things without a torque wrench and knowing the settings for each thing bc you can break or damage. I have a screw on my cockpit where the setting is only 2 nm for a plastic spacer , the top cap is 5 nm. The centerlock for my rotor is like 40 nm off top of my head
Likes For Grouperdawg:
Old 08-24-20, 09:46 PM
tsmith41094

Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by BoraxKid
I had a similar issue on my touring bike, and I spent the better part of a week trying to isolate the sound. I took the pedals off, checked the cable end, and cleaned & re-greased every little piece I thought might be contributing to the sound.

It turned out the aglet on my shoe lace was hitting the crank arm as I pedaled. I was only able to hear the sound while climbing--when there was reduced road noise at the slower speed combined with constant pedaling. Once I tucked in my shoe laces, the sound disappeared for good. Hopefully, you find a similarly simple source for your noise.
Too funny. Had to be a great feeling once you figured that one out!

Unfortunately, I don't think mine is something that simple. The creak is loud to the point that I was praying something didn't snap/explode mid-way up a hill.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.