Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > Masters Racing (All Disciplines)
Reload this Page >

Training for Racing All Disciplines

Notices
Masters Racing (All Disciplines) Race on the track or road or on your mountainbike in the Masters Category? Want to talk tactics, strategy and training with your peers?

Training for Racing All Disciplines

Old 01-12-18, 09:35 PM
sarals 
Idiot Emeritus

Bikes: Yes.

Mentioned: 228 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 331 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 4 Posts
What Ex said. I couldn't be more pleased with my training and my results. It was a slow process, but something worthwhile takes time to develop. Ex has adjusted things as I've adjusted. The points on the rack are a lot sharper and longer these days....

Old 01-12-18, 09:37 PM
sarals 
Idiot Emeritus

Originally Posted by Hermes
As Kristina Vogel ages, she will probably lift more weight.

The masters women of today are setting the bar for future generations. The younger women look at records and etc and say, I can beat that. And they will.
Totally agree.

Kristina is one in a few million. I wish I could live long enough to see how she fares!
Old 01-15-18, 04:10 PM
sarals 
Idiot Emeritus

I've had good gym sessions over this past week. I've got my exercise "circuits", sets, figured out and I've now settled into a good routine. I am religious about stretching and rolling out before I start each set, and I do a lengthy roll out and stretch routine after I finish my gym work. My back is getting stronger, the back lifts I do on the inclined bench really feel good. That added strength has allowed me to increase the weights on the machines when I get to that portion of the set. I did 250 pounds two leg on the leg press machine today, and I've increased the weights on the calf lifts and glute machines, too. I haven't set a goal for a "weight to achieve", because I have no idea what would be appropriate. And, as well, I'm looking to increase my power while preserving my spin, so I'm reasonably sure that I don't want to go too far with the weights. Still, being stronger should pay off!
Old 01-17-18, 07:44 AM
Allegheny Jet

Bikes: confidential infromation that I don't even share with my wife

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 35 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by sarals
I've had good gym sessions over this past week. I've got my exercise "circuits", sets, figured out and I've now settled into a good routine. I am religious about stretching and rolling out before I start each set, and I do a lengthy roll out and stretch routine after I finish my gym work. My back is getting stronger, the back lifts I do on the inclined bench really feel good. That added strength has allowed me to increase the weights on the machines when I get to that portion of the set. I did 250 pounds two leg on the leg press machine today, and I've increased the weights on the calf lifts and glute machines, too. I haven't set a goal for a "weight to achieve", because I have no idea what would be appropriate. And, as well, I'm looking to increase my power while preserving my spin, so I'm reasonably sure that I don't want to go too far with the weights. Still, being stronger should pay off!
The goal is to get stronger every week! Any improvement in strength should enable the oppurtunity to ride faster.
Old 01-17-18, 07:55 AM
Allegheny Jet

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
https://www.dropbox.com/s/kfkbhxy1s3....59-1.jpg?dl=0

Made it to Detroit last night. Rode 90 minutes of open riding then did 2/3rds of the structered training session. Myself and two others hope to make this a weekly activity. Next week I plan to do some strength work and starts during the open riding then partake in the structured training.

I also have to get a new cadence and speed sensor for my Garmin as the GPS is wonky in the bubble.

Last edited by Allegheny Jet; 01-17-18 at 08:04 AM.
Old 01-17-18, 11:22 AM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1325 Post(s)
Liked 2,438 Times in 1,425 Posts
Originally Posted by Allegheny Jet
https://www.dropbox.com/s/kfkbhxy1s3....59-1.jpg?dl=0

Made it to Detroit last night. Rode 90 minutes of open riding then did 2/3rds of the structered training session. Myself and two others hope to make this a weekly activity. Next week I plan to do some strength work and starts during the open riding then partake in the structured training.

I also have to get a new cadence and speed sensor for my Garmin as the GPS is wonky in the bubble.
I need to get cracking. I like your commitment to the track - Medina to Detroit is 2:45 drive. My drive to Carson is at best 1:50 - LA traffic. Last year, the San Diego Velodrome was closed so I drove to Carson once or twice per week.

I am putting some endurance back in my legs. I am pretty sure that doing so will not make me faster sprinting but is definitely more fun, healthier and will improve my recovery capability.

Last week, I did two endurance track workouts and two endurance road rides. The track workouts were at Carson on the 250 track. I did do some jumps.

This was a structured session and we had a group of 12 racers with a coach. After our warmup, the coach organized a workout by splitting the group into an A and B groups - fast and not as fast.

The goal was for the A group to entice a rider from the B group to take a lap on the field (the field was defined as the coach on a motor at 24 mph). The A group had to take a lap solo first which would score one point. After that, an A would have to take a lap with a B on his/her wheel. That would score two points for the A and two points for the B.

The coach was on the motor at the relief line which is halfway up the track. One could ride with the motor in a pace line or take laps or both. The game was on for 30 minutes. After the finish, we tallied up our points.

An A rider would approach from below and ask if a B rider wanted to take a lap. The A would lead and then the two would dive from the relief line to the pole lane. Many times two or three two person teams would dive off the relief line and take a lap.

I did several laps with different A racers. Review of my post ride data showed the speed was typically 28 mph when taking a lap. Alas, I was in the B group.. It was a good workout and skill building exercise. We did a second set at 20 minutes. I rode in 90.6 gear inches or 47/14.

The next training session two days later, we did was the same but we had a few different riders and motor speed was faster 25 -26 mph making taking a lap harder as well as sitting in. This time we did 2 sets of 30 minutes and I geared up for the second set to 94.6.
Old 01-17-18, 06:49 PM
Racer Ex 
Resident Alien

Mentioned: 158 Post(s)
Quoted: 349 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
Whatcha think of the facility?
Old 01-17-18, 06:50 PM
sarals 
Idiot Emeritus

@Allegheny Jet the gym IS paying off. My back is getting stronger, as are my legs, and I felt both today at the track.

Nice photo, AJ! I like your bike and choice of wheels! How did you like Detroit? It looks really nice in the photos and videos I've seen.

I'll be at VSC next week. I'll be doing a few open sessions (maybe a Roger's Session, if I get brave), and then the LAVRA TT on Sunday. Maybe someone will step up and want to do a team sprint with me? We'll see.
@Hermes, I hope to see you and MEA at VSC!

Today I worked out at Hellyer. I rode the FFWD wheelset I out together as my "training wheelset" for VSC, Vittoria Pista Evo tires - good on wood. Those wheels are sweet. Besides being beautiful to look at, they're light and they spin up really fast. I have an F5R on the front and an F9T on the rear. I warmed in 47/15 (82 inches), and did my efforts in 90 inches. I did three slow roll standing starts, at 100% (sprints are always all in), shutting down at 100 meters. After a rest, I did three flying 200 entries, shutting down coming out of turn two just prior to the 200 meter line. I felt quite good, my stronger back was really telling.

Good week! I'm looking forward to next week. It'll be my first time back on the boards since Worlds.

Last edited by sarals; 01-17-18 at 06:53 PM.
Old 01-18-18, 04:43 PM
Allegheny Jet

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Racer Ex
Whatcha think of the facility?
My sample size to compare it to is 0, so it's the best indoor tack I've ever been in! That being said the track is under an inflatable roof and it is very quiet inside. It is a 166 meter lap track with 50 degree banking, the same as my Cleveland Velodrome. Being a Cleveland rider allowed us to ride with their group even though the facility isn't open to yet to the public. The surface is painted plywood. My bike rode smooth everywhere on the track that I put it. The amenities are simple yet well thought out for the intended purposes, the offices are in three small greenhouse structures and the restrooms are porta johns that are on a trailer that is parked inside the facility. There are no locker rooms or changing rooms, you have to use the porta john. I found the wheelchair accessible unit suitable for changing as it has a diaper changing station that I put my bag on while changing.

The builder designed the track and other areas for corporate events and sponsorships. In the infield the public will be invited to rent suites during races that are located all around the track. There is also a descent size bar that will serve drinks and a large area with high top tables and stools where people can consume the drinks. There is no seating around the outside of the track, but there is a 6' wide platform around the top of the track that is used for jogging and spectator standing. There is only a small area for the riders to sit and store their bike. By design, inside the track, there are no pit boxes or places to ride rollers or a trainer between races. I guess riders will need to set something up outside the track if they wish to stay warmed up. IMO the rider area is too small and limited.
With all that being said, the facility works very well for me to go to Detroit for practices sessions during the cold weather times.

Last edited by Allegheny Jet; 01-18-18 at 04:50 PM.
Old 01-18-18, 05:32 PM
sarals 
Idiot Emeritus

If they're planning on holding "big events", ie Nats or races of that caliber, they'll have to address the rider area issue. Even at VSC things get tight pretty quickly. BTW, there are NO changing facilities at VSC, and the potties are upstairs. For big events they bring in porta potties, and then there are the "blue room" changing booths, two of them. On which the doors don't lock....

At Hellyer we have a park potty building fairly close, but Hellyer is also short on amenities. Let's call it rustic!
Old 01-18-18, 08:37 PM
Bandera
~>~

Mentioned: 87 Post(s)
Quoted: 1112 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 119 Posts
There is also a descent size bar that will serve drinks and a large area with high top tables and stools where people can consume the drinks.
Finally, my kind of Sports Bar.......

-Bandera
Old 01-19-18, 07:41 AM
IBOHUNT

Bikes: Motobecane Fantom Cross; Cannondale Supersix replaced the Giant TCR which came to an untimely death by truck

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 10 Posts
Day off yesterday. Spent most of it doing naps interrupted by NyQuil intervals.
Hadn't been over freezing in so long then turn into the 40's and the germs become happy
Old 01-19-18, 08:27 PM
sarals 
Idiot Emeritus

275 pounds for twelve reps on the leg press today. That was on the second circuit, and it was preceded by 250 pounds, then 260, and finally 275. "Going up?"
Old 01-22-18, 11:40 AM
IBOHUNT

Bikes: Motobecane Fantom Cross; Cannondale Supersix replaced the Giant TCR which came to an untimely death by truck

more couch and NyQuil intervals Friday and Saturday followed by a 10 mile JRA on Sunday. Still not over the crud.
Old 01-22-18, 08:33 PM
Racer Ex 
Resident Alien

375 TSS week. Got some Zwifting, one strength session, and two PT sessions. Up and down days but seeing progress.

And, on the chance I might get outside, I shaved the legs.

A girl can dream.
Old 01-22-18, 08:34 PM
revchuck 
OMC

Bikes: Specialized Allez Sprint, Look 585, Specialized Allez Comp Race

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 461 Post(s)
Liked 116 Times in 49 Posts
375 TSS week. Got some Zwifting, one strength session, and two PT sessions. Up and down days but seeing progress.

Demain, on roule!
Old 01-23-18, 10:21 AM
Hermes
Version 7.0

Bikes: Too Many

Mentioned: 297 Post(s)
Quoted: 1325 Post(s)
Liked 2,438 Times in 1,425 Posts

A girl can dream.
Once a prom queen always a prom queen.
Old 01-23-18, 03:51 PM
IBOHUNT

TRS says an hour of Pace today. Not going to happen; this cold/flu is kicking me arse still.
Curl up with the dogs on the couch NyQuill intervals
Old 01-23-18, 03:56 PM
IBOHUNT

A girl can dream.
Originally Posted by Hermes
Once a prom queen always a prom queen.
Best to read carefully and not while doped on NyQuil
Old 01-25-18, 08:09 AM
Allegheny Jet

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Good to see you are back in the saddle Racer Ex!

We went back to Detroit on Tuesday for some indoor riding. We left late after one guy asked if we could leave 30' later than intended then he came to our meeting point 45" after that. The AH didn't even apologize, just said "the meeting took longer that I anticipated". He's not invited to join us again on the next trip. We got to the velodrome later than intended and only had 45' of open riding before the organized training session started which was essentially a practice for the grand opening races to be held this weekend.

My training goal for the day was to measure any increase in strength in 5" max watts during a seated jump, 10" OTS start watts and 30" watts after a flying start from the top bank. I intended to do two reps of each. Because I only had about 25' to accomplish all that which included a WU, I could only do one rep of each, but not the flying lap, with limited recovery and track space as others were filling the track. The limited results were encouraging as I got into four digits on the 5" seated jump, and on the OTS start had a max of just over 1,400 watts and just under 1,000 watts for the 10" max.

After that I did the 100 lap group rollup but could not stay with the A guys for much of the last 20 hot laps on the black line.(neither did over half of the others) I also did one simulated 30 lap scratch race with a B group just to get more riding time in. I really don't want to drive 2.25 hrs to do a tempo group ride with others as I can ride tempo on the trainer anytime. It's kinda of cool to see that I averaged 26.4 mph for 22' on the rollup but don't think it helped my training plan.

Next week when we drive up to Detroit we are leaving at 1:30 regardless of who is not at the meeting place.

Last edited by Allegheny Jet; 01-25-18 at 08:18 AM.
Old 01-25-18, 06:17 PM
Racer Ex 
Resident Alien

Next week when we drive up to Detroit we are leaving at 1:30 regardless of who is not at the meeting place.
I'll be on time.

Nice to read you're getting some numbers! Comebacks are mentally trying. I had a good weight room session Tuesday; followed up with PT right after and we were all encouraged. Then I ballooned up over night.

Grrrr.
Old 01-26-18, 09:14 AM
Allegheny Jet

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I had a good weight room session Tuesday; followed up with PT right after and we were all encouraged. Then I ballooned up over night.

Grrrr.
While in college I was learning the new high jump approach (Fosbury Flop) and severely sprained my left ankle. After spending time in the hospital and determining it wasn't broken, the next day I took folly advice and allowed the trainer to tape it up then did an indoor track running workout with the long sprinter group. I started out fast walking with a crutch, then morphed into jogging and eventually was able to run as the swelling went down. Post workout I thought I had a miracle cure and cut the taped off and went to the showers. By the time I finished showering the swelling came back and I literally crawled back to the lockers.
Old 01-29-18, 10:55 PM
sarals 
Idiot Emeritus

Before the race yesterday I did two other sessions at VSC, Friday morning and Saturday morning. TSS for Friday was 160. Saturday it was lower. I did jump into the warm-up paceline with a bunch of guys on Saturday (BJ did, too). That was the first time I felt comfortable and confident enough to do that. It was major fun doing that!

The new/used FFWD training wheelset is great. They're almost as good as my race wheels, and if I ever need to race on them, no problem. Those Vittoria Pista Evo CS tubies stick to the banking at VSC with nary a squeak. I like 'em!

Oh...on Tuesday and Wednesday I walked a lot. A whole lot. Too much, even....
Old 02-12-18, 03:00 PM
sarals 
Idiot Emeritus

I just have to brag about this. Last Tuesday I leg pressed 345 pounds on the machine, two legs. 185 single leg, 12 reps X 2 sets. Saturday I backed it down slightly, doing 340 pounds for 15 reps, but sticking with 185 for the single leg presses. I'm looking forward to higher numbers, and looking forward even more to those numbers translating to watts.
Old 02-13-18, 07:30 PM
sarals 
Idiot Emeritus

My, the crickets are loud in this place.....

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.