Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Sedona Mountain Bike Festival

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-19, 07:00 AM
Maelstrom 
Wood Licker

Bikes: Trek Fuel EX 8 27.5 +, 2002 Transition Dirtbag, Kona Roast 2002

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

So I had the opportunity this year to visit Sedona for my birthday, and in fact will turn this into a yearly visit. Had a fantastic time with my family, got in some good rides. Mostly stuck to the blue trails since I like to explore and blues are the best way to judge an area.

Sedonas rating systems, for those that intend to visit, are reasonably accurate. Blues tend to have at least a couple of good technical features or steep sections. Sometimes its based on exposure. The trails are well marked. I would recommend you don't venture off the trail, you can tell it is an environmentally sensitive area with lots of water run outs for their monsoons. Pay close attention and don't jump off trail

Riding on the red rock/dirt was borderline magical. Such an odd type of dirt that when very dry is very slick. When slightly wet its sticky. I could really rail the bike after a rainfall.

The festival itself was a blast. My son entered his first race (it was a tricycle beer race, but he had fun). The paid for pass gets your three days of demo access with almost every bike company in NA (except Norco ). It also gets you access to group rides with Seths bike hacks, Jeff Lenosky, Hans Ray, Ryan Leech and other famous NA riders. This almost feels like an industry even since it is heavily focused on meet and greets, pro rides and demo bikes.

If you don't pay, you can still roam and meet people. And of course, the trails aren't closed so you can ride as you want. You just don't have access to the shuttles.

That brings me to the riding... as a … Clydesdale, I despise climbing. The only thing I hate more in life is riding on the road... (the only thing I hate more after that is running on the road)… unfortunately without a shuttle Sedona doesn't have a lot of good clean loops like in the PNW. So many trails I ride, you through in an easy gear, grind to the top for 30 minutes and you have 30 to 45 minutes of downhill....in Sedona I constantly felt like I was short grinding uphills and climbing... 30 minutes or 40 minutes for a 6 minutes rush. Loop into another trail with the same effect. I had a heavy endure bike which suites some of the technical riding, but god I wanted an ebike.

Lots of hiking as well, was able to get out with the family and have a lot of fun off bike as well. Some AMAZING eateries.

Overall, I will be back. I intend to work on my uphills a bit before I go next year. Also not entirely sure I will grab the full pass since I am so picky about my bike setup, that demos don't really suit me. Heck I ride moto which most mechanics make too big a deal about. For me this is now a yearly event on my birthday... I just need to figure out a way to become a smaller Clydesdale... hahaha

For those who have attend crankworx, this is … tiny compared to that event. It isn't intended to be at that level, it is more intimate with less of the go big or go home attitude. Its a lot more of the community (lots of youtubers show up) with a lot more versatility. Reminded me of crankworx from back in the early days when they had the more of the variety of riders

This lovely lady got him out of his shell for the tricycle race. She was an amazing embassador for mountain biking

He didn't win but he did block the people behind him well

With his swag from his new sponsor ZOIC
Old 04-17-19, 04:58 AM
CakeChaser

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
One of my fav places on the planet to chill and ride, love it!