Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Triathlon
Reload this Page >

USAT Rule Question: Long sleeve speed suits?

Notices
Triathlon Swim / Bike / Run your thing? Drop in our new triathlon forum for the latest in training & gear. From beginner to expert, and sprint to ironman.

Old 04-03-18, 02:03 PM
FlashBazbo
Chases Dogs for Sport

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 983 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 94 Posts

Because my knees won't allow running anymore, I'm strictly a relay triathlete (which is to say, cyclist). My question concerns how much sleeve is permitted in the cycling segment of a USAT relay triathlon. I know WCT allows sleeves to the elbows. I also know that USAT triathlons in this area like to have some arm on which they can mark race numbers. (They usually do NOT provide helmet and bike numbers.) I've got a TT speedsuit with sleeves to the wrists.

Is a relay triathlete permitted to wear a TT speedsuit with sleeves to the wrists in a USAT triathlon? Do you have a citation to a rule or interpretation somewhere?
Old 04-03-18, 11:11 PM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Bikes: Several...from old junk to new all-carbon.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1017 Post(s)
Liked 782 Times in 413 Posts
Originally Posted by FlashBazbo
Because my knees won't allow running anymore, I'm strictly a relay triathlete (which is to say, cyclist). My question concerns how much sleeve is permitted in the cycling segment of a USAT relay triathlon. I know WCT allows sleeves to the elbows. I also know that USAT triathlons in this area like to have some arm on which they can mark race numbers. (They usually do NOT provide helmet and bike numbers.) I've got a TT speedsuit with sleeves to the wrists.

Is a relay triathlete permitted to wear a TT speedsuit with sleeves to the wrists in a USAT triathlon? Do you have a citation to a rule or interpretation somewhere?

I think you can wear whatever you want. Or, whatever the specific local race directors will let you. I really don't think that USAT dabbles in controlling relays. There would be just too much for them to control, distribution of genders per team...all male, all female, two males/one female, two females/one male. And then the same thing with age distribution/divisions. The relays are usually just an extra division that local race promoters use to get more participation ($$$).

Dan
Old 04-04-18, 04:35 AM
FlashBazbo
Chases Dogs for Sport

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 983 Post(s)
Liked 141 Times in 94 Posts
Originally Posted by _ForceD_
I think you can wear whatever you want. Or, whatever the specific local race directors will let you. I really don't think that USAT dabbles in controlling relays. There would be just too much for them to control, distribution of genders per team...all male, all female, two males/one female, two females/one male. And then the same thing with age distribution/divisions. The relays are usually just an extra division that local race promoters use to get more participation ($$$).

Dan

I think you may be right that this is a "director discretion" item under USAT. I was hoping there might be a set of rules or interpretations of which I'm unaware. The clear conflict is the rule that says you must display your race number at all times -- and some triathlons require upper arm marking as your only front race number.

And yes, relays are the "gateway drug" that the triathlons, all the way to IronMan, use to try to get swimmers and runners (who often don't have a bike yet) involved in their first triathlon experience. Since I cannot run anymore, I'm glad to help them out -- and we've seen a lot of athletes move from relay to full triathlon after a couple relays. Especially if their team wins a relay or two, they catch the bug pretty quickly. It's very effective in growing the sport. (But it means I've never had the same team twice.)
Old 04-04-18, 06:58 AM
_ForceD_
Sr Member on Sr bikes

Bikes: Several...from old junk to new all-carbon.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1017 Post(s)
Liked 782 Times in 413 Posts
Local discretion yes. But a quick perusal through USAT's competitive rules and I don't see the word relay, or team, mentioned anywhere.

https://www.teamusa.org/USA-Triathlo...petitive-Rules

Dan