Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Fifty Plus (50+)
Reload this Page >

Any other old timers enjoy riding slow?

Search
Notices
Fifty Plus (50+) Share the victories, challenges, successes and special concerns of bicyclists 50 and older. Especially useful for those entering or reentering bicycling.

Any other old timers enjoy riding slow?

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-18, 01:27 PM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8271 Post(s)
Liked 9,022 Times in 4,468 Posts
Originally Posted by rydabent
Whats your hurry in the first place**********
Going fast is fun.
Old 09-26-18, 08:49 PM
McBTC

Bikes: 2015 22 Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1543 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 39 Posts
I think you need to learn to spin fast before trying to go fast... unless, you have the knees of a god.
Old 09-27-18, 08:47 AM
OldTryGuy

Bikes: Day6 Semi Recumbent "FIREBALL", 1981 Custom Touring Paramount, 1983 Road Paramount, 2013 Giant Propel Advanced SL3, 2018 Specialized Red Roubaix Expert mech., 2002 Magna 7sp hybrid, 1976 Bassett Racing 45sp Cruiser

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1068 Post(s)
Liked 780 Times in 502 Posts
Whats your hurry in the first place**********
The "hurry factor could be predicated on a need to be somewhere at some time or X miles in some time frame or just wanting to feel the air whipping by or ---- whateva

Originally Posted by big john
Going fast is fun.
Got that right !!!

Originally Posted by McBTC
I think you need to learn to spin fast before trying to go fast... unless, you have the knees of a god.
Isn't it subjective as has been mentioned since 20mph at 60rpm could be comfortable with no knee issues at all and considered fast by 15mph riders but not with 25mph riders.
Old 09-27-18, 09:07 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
Slow, fast, what is the difference. Isnt cycling supposed to be fun?
Old 09-27-18, 10:22 AM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
I love walking too, but I would never go for a fast walk. When I "go for a walk" I do it because of the leisurely pace. My normal (faster) walk is only used to get somewhere quickly.
Slow, fast, what is the difference. Isnt cycling supposed to be fun?
Only for enthusiasts like us. I think the majority of the world ride bikes solely for transportation. No "fun" intended.
Old 09-27-18, 03:32 PM
ctpres

Location: Creede CO in summer & Okeechobee, FL or TX Gulf Coast in winter

Bikes: Zenetto Stealth road bike & Sundeal M7 MTN bike

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
@79 FAST is no longer an option - except for downhill.
Old 09-27-18, 08:44 PM
MAK

Bikes: Yes, I have bikes.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 65 Posts
About a month or so ago, I pumped my tires on one of my bikes and started my ride. I zeroed out my cyclometer and proceeded. After about 10 miles I saw that the batteries had died. After finishing my 42 mile ride, I realized that riding without constantly checking my cadence and speed was more relaxing and enjoyable. I still haven't replaced the batteries on that bike. When I lead rides for my club I use a different bike with a working cyclometer because I need to regulate the groups advertised speed. At least twice a week I ride the dead battery bike and it's almost therapeutic.
Old 09-27-18, 09:26 PM
KraneXL

Originally Posted by jim dandy
I'm learning to enjoy riding slow .... don't have much say in that regard anyway-anymore ...
JD
LOL, cycling need not always be about competition. Whether that's against other cyclist, or the clock. Either way you still get to reap the health benefits.

Last edited by KraneXL; 09-28-18 at 12:58 AM.
Old 09-27-18, 09:37 PM
McBTC

12 average mph is the new 25...
Old 09-28-18, 05:42 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
Originally Posted by KraneXL
I love walking too, but I would never go for a fast walk. When I "go for a walk" I do it because of the leisurely pace. My normal (faster) walk is only used to get somewhere quickly.Only for enthusiasts like us. I think the majority of the world ride bikes solely for transportation. No "fun" intended.
You may be right there. But OTOH I am retired, and can do most anything I want when I want. That includes the fact that I can ride anywhere, any time at any speed I want to. I can report that yesterday do to time restraints, I had to ride fast to get my ride in. How ever, I usually ride at a slow speed to see my surroundings.
Old 09-29-18, 09:00 AM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3898 Post(s)
Liked 4,830 Times in 2,228 Posts
111 posts and not one pic of a slow ride - if you guys ride slow take some pictures to pass the time. And be sure to wear your helmet.

Old 09-29-18, 09:05 AM
KraneXL

Originally Posted by Wildwood
111 posts and not one pic of a slow ride - if you guys ride slow take some pictures to pass the time. And be sure to wear your helmet.

You better not be making fun a me.
Old 09-29-18, 03:05 PM
PaulH

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 62 Posts
Originally Posted by KraneXL
I love walking too, but I would never go for a fast walk. When I "go for a walk" I do it because of the leisurely pace. My normal (faster) walk is only used to get somewhere quickly.Only for enthusiasts like us. I think the majority of the world ride bikes solely for transportation. No "fun" intended.
I'm with the majority. All my riding is transportation. I ride at the effort level of a fast walk, except when have to muscle up a steep hill. Fast, slow, doesn't matter -- it's all about getting to work and back.
Old 09-29-18, 04:12 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts

That's ridiculous. No self respecting loaf-cyclist would use that fender without a proper skirt to keep mud off the shoes and khakis. This is why people don't take loafcycling seriously.
Old 09-29-18, 04:30 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Semi-seriously, I'm relearning to enjoy leisurely cycling.

After being hit by a car in May, injuring my shoulder, I was anxious to get back on the bike ASAP despite the pain. I was in peak condition just before the injury, the best shape I'd been in since I was in my 20s. I'd spent a year pushing myself hard after getting a road bike in 2017, enduring painful HIIT sessions, had an insignificant KOM on a little used segment, cracked the top ten on a few hard segments dominated by much stronger and younger riders, and didn't want to lose that conditioning.

So I got back on the road bike only a few weeks after the injury -- first, on an indoor trainer, then a couple of weeks later on the road. My speed was still good. But my shoulder was killing me after every ride and I'd need 2-3 days off to recover.

Then my longtime thyroid problem worsened very suddenly in late July. By August I could barely stumble out of bed to the bathroom The doctor put me back on thyroid meds and after three weeks I was just beginning to regain enough energy to ride without toppling over within a mile from exhaustion and dizziness. I was impatient but the doc said give it 6-8 weeks.

Now, after four weeks back on meds (and surgery due next month or so), I'm able to ride a couple of causal group rides with friends. Between the ride to the group meetup, the group ride itself and return trip home these are usually right about 35 miles total, but broken up into roughly 12 mile segments with rest breaks of 15 minutes to an hour. My average speed is only 10-12 mph. I'm exhausted the next day and need a day or two before the next ride. But it's good to be out there again.

A friend persuaded me to replace the riser bar on my hybrid with a swept back bar. He's a fan of North Roads, albatross and similar bars, so I borrowed one of his Nittos. Wow. That is fantastic. I can see why he's in no hurry to add a road bike to his arsenal. He rides hybrids, fairly heavy-ish, with flipped swept bars and is as fast as I am on my road bike. He'd be a beast on a carbon road bike, but he has no interest in competition or riding fast for the sake of riding fast. His bikes are comfy for him and he's happy. I can see why after a few weeks on those bars.

Although my albatross is upright with the grips right at saddle height, there are multiple hand positions and I can lean forward enough to use the thigh/hip adductor muscles more efficiently for climbs and head winds, yet sit upright like a citizen without straining my shoulder. During group rides I can chatter with friends, look around at traffic more easily than on the road bike, and feel more like I'm part of the group rather than an individual in a group.

It's a whole different mindset from the road bike. It's more like the reason why I resumed cycling in 2015 after 30+ years away from the bike.

Something about the riding position encourages me to take it easy, although occasionally I need to remind myself to ease up. Usually on the return trip home I find myself pushing on every Strava segment, just to see if I can match my best times on the road bike. Then I mentally kick myself, slow down and enjoy the cruise.

I'll get back to pushing myself on the road bike and going faster. Eventually. Next year, after the shoulder and thyroid thing are resolved.

But for now I'm enjoying a renewed appreciation for loafcycling.
Old 09-29-18, 08:04 PM
McBTC

Set a new world record for me on my usual ride today (~13 miles)... funny how it goes in jumps. I was at 12.6 avg. mph tops, hitting that a few times and out of blue several weeks ago I hit 13 on the nose. Today... best ever at 13.6. The only explanation that makes sense seems to be that... us old timers can put on some muscle after all-- so, it's not all downhill. Seems like 14 should be possible. The cooler weather probably helped-- now I'm looking forward to winter. Probably needing less warm-up is contributing to a lower average mph.
Old 09-29-18, 08:08 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Originally Posted by canklecat
That's ridiculous. No self respecting loaf-cyclist would use that fender without a proper skirt to keep mud off the shoes and khakis. This is why people don't take loafcycling seriously.
It's a slow ride.
There is no wheel splash or rooster tail spray.
The fenders protect part of the tires from UV exposure.

Note the stiff/thick cycling sandals for increased pedaling efficiency.
Old 10-04-18, 03:12 PM
JehD

Bikes: 1981 Bertin C34 - 2020 Electra Cruiser 7D - 2021 Mongoose Dolomite ALX

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 111 Post(s)
Liked 131 Times in 86 Posts
Even though I probably wasn’t very fast to start with I’m more into the cruise. I recently went on the Tour de Acoma in New Mexico and since I hadn’t ridden much in a while just took on the 25 mile route. I was riding an Electra Moto 3i and while I wasn’t measuring my speed I ended up riding by myself for 95% of the ride. Based on my time about 10-12 mph. Good enough for me.

Last edited by JehD; 10-04-18 at 03:16 PM.
Old 10-04-18, 07:29 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Quoted: 1513 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
Seat's way too low. Doesn't that hurt your knees? (This said by a guy whose seat is 8" off the ground and uses his helmet for a kickstand.)
Old 10-04-18, 09:03 PM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Originally Posted by BlazingPedals
Seat's way too low. Doesn't that hurt your knees? (This said by a guy whose seat is 8" off the ground and uses his helmet for a kickstand.)
Never thought to raise the saddle!?!
any other suggestions?
Old 10-05-18, 12:53 PM
slorollin

Bikes: '81 Puch '13 Cafe Noir

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by canklecat
Looks like an ad for "The Villages".......just heading over to the Activity Center for the pickle ball tourney.
Old 10-05-18, 02:38 PM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Tricycle Tom looks too young for the senior activity center and pickleball. But some folks were born to be sports campers.
Old 10-05-18, 07:13 PM
McBTC

That's a battery in the pack on the back with a motorized front hub? If so, about the only thing missing is a margarita in a coconut drink holder on the handlebar.
Old 10-05-18, 07:33 PM
lhendrick

Bikes: Surly LHT, Trek 2100, Trek 7000 (1995 or so) Trek 7000

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I ride just about whatever speed I feel like at the moment. I've never been very athletic. I ride to see things. I get out in the air and try to talk to people. it's hard to do those things if I'm speeding along. If I want to see people speeding on bicycles I watch one or two legs of the Tour de France and sit awestruck that a human can go that fast for so long on a bike. I like to ride all day, and as I have reached 69 years, I find that the slower I start out the longer I can go. My rides are 5-7 hours long. I go about 35- 40 miles in that time, stopping a lot to eat, drink, gab and just stare.

I dress in shorts and regular shirts, rarely wear a helmet after riding in Amsterdam and seeing people really riding bikes to get somewhere. I plan to start carrying a water pistol and shooting it at lycra clad folks riding fast and not acknowledging my waves.

So, my moving average speed is about 6 mph, and that is my story.

Last edited by lhendrick; 10-05-18 at 07:38 PM.
Old 10-13-18, 12:10 AM
zedpilot

Bikes: Ran's V-Rex, Day6 Patriot

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I enjoy just getting out for a ride on my Day6 CF and not returning home with a sore butt and numb hands. After a life of going fast not only on bicycles, But cafe racer and motocross motorcycles. I'm enjoying life in the slower lane. One thing that does bother me is the snooty attitude that other bikers show upon seeing a leisurely bike like the Day6 and a slower pace. Was asked about my "retirees' bike the other day. I replied with a question of my own. Do you drive a race car on the street? No! So, Do you enjoy driving your retirees car?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.