Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Which Crown Race To Buy?

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Which Crown Race To Buy?

Search this Thread

Old 04-01-19, 02:30 PM
mikster

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Which Crown Race To Buy?

I was wondering how to determine what size crown race I need for my 2013 SID RockShox fork running OD2 headset. I have seen crown race go as low as $10 to $80 is this something I shouldn't cheap out on? Can you recommend a reputable brand. Thanks
Old 04-01-19, 07:49 PM
carlosponti

Bikes: '90 Raleigh Technium Prestige, '90 Fuji Thrill - Gone, '18 Fuji Nevada 1.7 29er, '19 Fezzari Abajo Peak

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 34 Times in 23 Posts
what size steerer tube is your fork? if its a tapered steerer tube you need a 1 1/2 inch diameter if its a straight steerer tube you need a 1 1/8 inch diameter. what happened to the crown race that came with your OD2?
Old 04-01-19, 08:23 PM
mikster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by carlosponti
what size steerer tube is your fork? if its a tapered steerer tube you need a 1 1/2 inch diameter if its a straight steerer tube you need a 1 1/8 inch diameter. what happened to the crown race that came with your OD2?

Hi thanks for the info. Are all tapered tube 1 1/2 inch? I bought my bike from someone locally and he probably lost it or something...I don't know much about bikes therefore didn't even know such part existed until I started looking into why my steering is so stiff. Are there any particular brand I should buy for the crown race?
Old 04-01-19, 09:16 PM
carlosponti

Bikes: '90 Raleigh Technium Prestige, '90 Fuji Thrill - Gone, '18 Fuji Nevada 1.7 29er, '19 Fezzari Abajo Peak

i'm not entirely sure but i believe you have to buy the crown race that comes with the headset. its a interference fit on the fork so if you pulled the fork its probably still there. yes tapered fork is 1 1/2 on the crown race part. if you can see on this one the little metal ring should be there on top of the fork crown. if that makes sense to ya. it would be uncommon for the crown race to just fall off. I am betting its still there but maybe the stem was not correctly torqued down. the little button at the top doesnt need to be super tight the bolts around the steerer tube on the sides have to be torqued to spec probably around 9 newton meters.

Old 04-01-19, 09:19 PM
carlosponti

another question is the fork original to the bike? its always possible the guy didnt know about the crown race and swapped forks without it. especially since the crown race has to be removed by a special tool.
Old 04-01-19, 09:49 PM
mikster

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by carlosponti
i'm not entirely sure but i believe you have to buy the crown race that comes with the headset. its a interference fit on the fork so if you pulled the fork its probably still there. yes tapered fork is 1 1/2 on the crown race part. if you can see on this one the little metal ring should be there on top of the fork crown. if that makes sense to ya. it would be uncommon for the crown race to just fall off. I am betting its still there but maybe the stem was not correctly torqued down. the little button at the top doesnt need to be super tight the bolts around the steerer tube on the sides have to be torqued to spec probably around 9 newton meters.

That totally makes sense. I found a FSA crown race on eBay that should be the one cause my headset is FSA OD2...will contact them for fitment thanks a lot!
Old 04-14-19, 07:43 PM
mtn_cyclist

Bikes: DEAN Duke titanium soft tail, DEAN Torrys titanium gravel bike, Merlin Telluride titanium tandem

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked 48 Times in 16 Posts
I just bought a crown race from Jensen USA. You need to know the make and model of your head set. Good luck!