Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Mountain Biking
Reload this Page >

Bike advice please

Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Bike advice please

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-19, 05:33 AM
Jno

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 12 Posts
Bike advice please

Because I road bike, a friend has asked me to help him decide what mtb bike to buy, even though I know almost nothing about mtn bikes. I hope the community can offer advice of two particular types.

1. He is fit and an able cyclist and is looking for a bike that is ideal for life in the Canadian Rockies: going up mountains and descending them (price of bike is not really an issue but model, geometry, gearing wtc are)

2. He is also looking for particular blog sites or other on-line resources that are highly regarded that you can recommend he look at.

thanks in advance

Old 04-13-19, 05:10 PM
Gconan

Bikes: Norco search xr

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked 146 Times in 90 Posts
The possibilities are endless. Research.
Mtbr.
Old 04-14-19, 11:56 AM
grubetown

Quoted: 110 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 21 Posts
1. Trail bike
2. LBS, Youtube, MTBR and Pinkbike
Old 04-14-19, 03:14 PM
hig4s

Bikes: Evil Insurgent, Giant Stance, Wife has Liv Cypress, son has Motobecane HT529

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 93 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 6 Posts
My favorites that can handle some serious trail work and a bit of down hill are, in order, Evil Insurgent, Giant Trance, Santa Cruz Bronson, and Salsa Redpoint. But there are bikes I did not like that much that others swear by, and at least a dozen brands that are just as high of quality as those I listed. There are tons of great bikes and riding style and personal preference make a huge difference. Try to have him find brands doing demo rides on the trails.
Old 04-14-19, 03:34 PM
PumpedUpKicks

Bikes: 2017 Santa Cruz Hightower C S+ Kit, 2020 Salsa Fargo Apex 1, 2015 Salsa Warbird Ti, Burley D'Lite double trailer

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 16 Times in 11 Posts
LBS. Also, if you look online check if a demo tour and see if a stop is in your area and test ride some bikes. Facebook has these events listed too.
Old 04-16-19, 03:10 PM
pressed001
glorified 5954

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked 48 Times in 23 Posts
If he wants to go both UP and down mountains I would suggest a hard-tail. This is a bike with only front suspension. A fully, or full-suspension bike is heavier for the up-hill hauls. They are also more expensive.

Given your region and the price range, I suggest one of these. Swiss made and so sweet. The TE01 is always an absolute pleasure to ride. It's like getting onto a horse that weighs only 7kg's.

The size of the bike frame is very important and here your friend must be careful. A bike shop is likely to sell him an incorrect size bike just because they want to get rid of their stock. How big is your friend?
Old 04-16-19, 05:40 PM
Jno

Originally Posted by pressed001
If he wants to go both UP and down mountains I would suggest a hard-tail. This is a bike with only front suspension. A fully, or full-suspension bike is heavier for the up-hill hauls. They are also more expensive.

Given your region and the price range, I suggest one of these. Swiss made and so sweet. The TE01 is always an absolute pleasure to ride. It's like getting onto a horse that weighs only 7kg's.

The size of the bike frame is very important and here your friend must be careful. A bike shop is likely to sell him an incorrect size bike just because they want to get rid of their stock. How big is your friend?
Sorry I hadn’t checked in a while. My friend is 6 feet, 165. I appreciated your reply because neither he nor I thought of hard tail (and I’m familiar with BMC). Thanks again
Old 04-16-19, 05:46 PM
Jno

Originally Posted by hig4s
My favorites that can handle some serious trail work and a bit of down hill are, in order, Evil Insurgent, Giant Trance, Santa Cruz Bronson, and Salsa Redpoint. But there are bikes I did not like that much that others swear by, and at least a dozen brands that are just as high of quality as those I listed. There are tons of great bikes and riding style and personal preference make a huge difference. Try to have him find brands doing demo rides on the trails.
Thanks for the list. I noticed lots of good pub about the Bronson and the Evil Insurgent and yes, there do seem like there’s a lot more options and variables in mtb than I’d have expected so I realize the job he has ahead of him is a big one. If he’s like me, he’ll like the opportunity to think about bikes he actually intends to buy.
Old 04-16-19, 05:50 PM
Jno

Originally Posted by Gconan
The possibilities are endless. Research.
Mtbr.
Some people like endless research and endless possibilities I suppose. I’m not one of them. Instead, I hope, with the help of the forum, to narrow the field from infinite to vast, and from there, to manageable.
Old 04-16-19, 06:55 PM
Gconan

Bikes: Norco search xr

Quoted: 198 Post(s)
Liked 146 Times in 90 Posts
Originally Posted by Jno

Some people like endless research and endless possibilities I suppose. I’m not one of them. Instead, I hope, with the help of the forum, to narrow the field from infinite to vast, and from there, to manageable.
Aye, me neither. But that is why I left a link to a large MTB forum, to help with information.
Old 04-16-19, 07:58 PM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
Well, here's what I think you need to know.

There are fully rigid bikes. Often single speed and steel.

There are hard tail bikes. These are usually a budget option. Mine is. I like it. They generally are what an average person who had a MTB twenty years ago thinks they are going to get. You can get a decent one around $1000 (US) or a really nice one $2000 or a really custom one $3000.

There are full suspension bikes. You can divide these by style of linkage and by suspension travel. The two main linkage styles are short links and long. Short link bikes are regarded more efficient pedaling and long ones are more "active". For cross country racing bikes have about four inches of travel. For enduro racing they have six or more. In between are average trail bikes. Mail order aluminum ones can be found under $1500 on clearance but $2000 is a pretty good starting point for a bike store brand at full price.

The fad in geometry right now is raked out front like a dirt bike, while the seat tube is very upright. Many bikes can take 27.5 "plus" tires or 29 inch regular width tires.

Nearly all bikes around and over $1500 will have a telescopic dropper seat post operated by a lever on the handlebar instead of a quick release on the saddle like the old days. They will also have 1x11 or 1x12 drivetrains instead of the old customary triple crank. They will have hydraulic disk brakes.

Frame material is mostly a matter of weight and price. Cheaper bikes ($1500 hard tail or $3000 FS) will be aluminum. More expensive ones will be part carbon fiber. Really expensive ones ($9000) will be mostly carbon fiber, even the linkages and the rims, and astonishingly lightweight. Steel is still available for hard tails and single speeds, generally sold with misanthropic marketing.

And whatever you think the trend is, you can find someone marketing the opposite.
Genesis 49:16-17

Last edited by Darth Lefty; 04-16-19 at 11:47 PM.
Old 04-17-19, 12:08 AM
pressed001
glorified 5954

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 112 Post(s)
Liked 48 Times in 23 Posts
This is all good information from Darth. Whether the prices are expensive or cheap is really a perspective issue. Important though is the gearing especially when your friend wants to go both up and down the mountain on his new bike.

I am particularly confused with the new marketing behind the 1x11 speed bikes. These you will find have a limited size front chainring usually maxing out at 38 teeth. The rear is also limited to minimum of 11 teeth. Even though the largest rear cog is a big as a pizza, the other two extremes which I just explained will limit the bike strictly to the up-hill haul. If you hit the flat or the downhill, the gears lack dramatically. This is why I stick with slightly aged 2x10 speed systems. Anyway, what I can get behind is the new 1x12 boost systems. These have a 10 tooth rear cog which gets you the gearing range required for a CC bike. Just make sure that the front cog is a 38 tooth.

Regarding your friend's size, he's slightly taller and heavier than I am and I prefer size L bikes or a M with sufficient stem length. This is but subjective and dependent on the bike manufacturer. Simply put though, I think a size L would work for him in most cases.
Old 04-17-19, 12:38 AM
Darth Lefty 
Disco Infiltrator

Bikes: Stormchaser, Paramount, Tilt, Samba tandem

Mentioned: 72 Post(s)
Quoted: 3126 Post(s)
Liked 2,102 Times in 1,366 Posts
My y2k bike and my new bike have about the same bottom gear. The top end is definitely lacking two shifts but they were shifts that would only have really been used on paved downhill or with commuter slicks. Since mountain bikes are more focused on trails now and less on being do-everything bikes like they were in the 90's, those top two gears get sacrificed.

11 speed was very popular. I don't think people are really that sold on Eagle, but SRAM pushed it out so quick to the lower groups that seemingly every bike comes with it now. It does get you one more shift wider range, whether it's higher or lower depends on the ring size.

Also - 1x drivetrains remove one variable from suspension design. It was impossible to zero out anti-squat for three different ring sizes because there were three different torque arms. Now there's just one.
Genesis 49:16-17

Last edited by Darth Lefty; 04-17-19 at 12:33 PM.
Old 04-17-19, 06:07 AM
Jno

Originally Posted by Darth Lefty
Well, here's what I think you need to know.

There are fully rigid bikes. Often single speed and steel.

There are hard tail bikes. These are usually a budget option. Mine is. I like it. They generally are what an average person who had a MTB twenty years ago thinks they are going to get. You can get a decent one around $1000 (US) or a really nice one $2000 or a really custom one $3000.

There are full suspension bikes. You can divide these by style of linkage and by suspension travel. The two main linkage styles are short links and long. Short link bikes are regarded more efficient pedaling and long ones are more "active". For cross country racing bikes have about four inches of travel. For enduro racing they have six or more. In between are average trail bikes. Mail order aluminum ones can be found under $1500 on clearance but $2000 is a pretty good starting point for a bike store brand at full price.

The fad in geometry right now is raked out front like a dirt bike, while the seat tube is very upright. Many bikes can take 27.5 "plus" tires or 29 inch regular width tires.

Nearly all bikes around and over $1500 will have a telescopic dropper seat post operated by a lever on the handlebar instead of a quick release on the saddle like the old days. They will also have 1x11 or 1x12 drivetrains instead of the old customary triple crank. They will have hydraulic disk brakes.

Frame material is mostly a matter of weight and price. Cheaper bikes ($1500 hard tail or $3000 FS) will be aluminum. More expensive ones will be part carbon fiber. Really expensive ones ($9000) will be mostly carbon fiber, even the linkages and the rims, and astonishingly lightweight. Steel is still available for hard tails and single speeds, generally sold with misanthropic marketing.

And whatever you think the trend is, you can find someone marketing the opposite.
Thanks for this reply. I am copying it in its entirety and sending it to my pal (I’m tempted to pretend they are my observations but will resist, and credit you instead).