Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Utility Cycling
Reload this Page >

The post your trailer thread.

Search
Notices
Utility Cycling Want to haul groceries, beer, maybe even your kids? You don't have to live car free to put your bike to use as a workhorse. Here's the place to share and learn about the bicycle as a utility vehicle.

The post your trailer thread.

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-10, 11:53 AM
Stu In Tokyo

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Daddo, that is an impressive build, lots of attention to detail!
Old 12-11-10, 12:21 PM
Gareth

Bikes: 2006 Falcon Explorer Hybrid, 2008 Landrover Visalia Crossover, 2010 Cargo Cycles Senton, 2010 Cargo Cycles Capability, and a 2001 AVD quad pedi-van, 1980 Peugeot Carbolite 10sp racer

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 24 Times in 7 Posts
That is an impressive trailer build.

Just one question; Is the airline coupling that you used a Schrader type male & female coupling? With Schrader airline couplings you have to twist the body a 1/4 turn to release the two halves ...... a much better, safer and more secure system than using the normal PCL "Pull back" type quick release airline fittings.

I use Schrader couplings exclusively up at the workshop on my compressed air system as they are less likely to be accidentally released as the airlines are dragged across the floor, bench and work pieces, etc.

Last edited by Gareth; 12-15-10 at 02:23 PM.
Old 12-11-10, 01:34 PM
Daddo

Bikes: 1970 Masi Gran Criterium, 1979(?) Fuji Finest, 1981(?) Trek 950

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey Stu: Thank you for the kind feedback.
Old 12-11-10, 01:39 PM
Daddo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey Gareth:

No, it is not a Schrader type of fitting, but rather the normal PCL "Pull back" type quick release. For the loads that I carry on this and my previous trailer it has proved to be sufficient. I will look into the Schrader version though.

Since these photos had been taken, one of the additions has been a reworking of the three "U" bolt clamps on the draw bar and the addition of a security/breakaway cable that attaches to the seat post.

Thanks for the feedback.
Old 12-11-10, 09:46 PM
BossCat
Trailer Nut

Bikes: Viking Urban Trail. Schwinn Spoiler

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Stu In Tokyo
As winter has come here in Japan, and the days are getting shorter, I decided that it was time to put some lights on my trailer, people just simply do NOT see the darn thing
I've had some near misses where people see the bike and me, but then step out expecting the space behind the bike to be empty.... SURPRISE..... As it is now dark when I do most of my deliveries, I figured I'd try to stay ahead of the game and put some stupid bright flashing lights on the trailer....

I hope that people can see me now
Forgive me if I sound dumb but im really confused by that statement!!

So you get around there stepping out.... SURPRISE by putting lights on the BACK of the trailer?

Ouch! WTF was that!?! Oh iv'e just been ran over by something that I didn't see behind that bike! Its ok I can see it now iv'e been ran over and its on its way up the street, it was a bike trailer. I cant tell by those big red flashing lights...

If stepping out is a problem then you need to put some little white flasher lights on the FRONT (each side) of the trailer so people can see it behind your bike and not step out too soon.
Sorry if im nit picking but iv'e just had one of those days and I need a rant

Nice trailer BTW, I like the way you have incorporated the trailer brake.

Regards
Tom
Old 12-12-10, 05:27 AM
Stu In Tokyo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by BossCat
Forgive me if I sound dumb but im really confused by that statement!!

So you get around there stepping out.... SURPRISE by putting lights on the BACK of the trailer?

Ouch! WTF was that!?! Oh iv'e just been ran over by something that I didn't see behind that bike! Its ok I can see it now iv'e been ran over and its on its way up the street, it was a bike trailer. I cant tell by those big red flashing lights...

If stepping out is a problem then you need to put some little white flasher lights on the FRONT (each side) of the trailer so people can see it behind your bike and not step out too soon.
Sorry if im nit picking but iv'e just had one of those days and I need a rant

Nice trailer BTW, I like the way you have incorporated the trailer brake.

Regards
Tom
Imagine a corner, the ped is walking South along a sidewalk, I come out of a side street going West to East, they pause waiting for me on my bicycle to pass in front of them, when the bicycle has passed the start to step out into the assumed empty space behind my bicycle, and are SHOCKED to find out that said space is occupied by a trailer. The flashing red lights are an attempt to catch their eye before they step into my moving trailer. Yes flashing red lights on the front corners and side would be better, as well as a whooping siren, but I have to draw the line at some point
Old 12-13-10, 10:43 AM
fenderbender
consilio et animis

Bikes: It's not 'bout the bike!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Please stop this 'flashing light craze'! It's not only very anoying for others and make it more difficult to see were one's going. It also harder to accurately judge the distance/position of the source. So in effect it create a more unsafe environment for all!
Old 12-13-10, 06:58 PM
Daddo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by fenderbender
Please stop this 'flashing light craze'! It's not only very anoying for others and make it more difficult to see were one's going. It also harder to accurately judge the distance/position of the source. So in effect it create a more unsafe environment for all!
While I have considered your opinion I need to join the multitude of transportation safety experts who disagree with you.

The US National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) has made a change to its auto safety rule, which requires the steady illumination of vehicle lights. This was because Mercedes had demonstrated that its flashing brake lights improve car safety by preventing rear-end crashes. The feature is already available in Europe in Mercedes S-class and CL-class cars.

I have used flashing brake lights on my motorcycles for years since it is a proven fact that they have the ability to break through the reverie that so many motor vehicle operators seem to find themselves in while driving.

I will be adding a set of four flashing LED lights to my trailer for use at night.
Old 12-20-10, 02:34 PM
fenderbender
consilio et animis

Bikes: It's not 'bout the bike!

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Your example applies to fast vehicles and for a brief moment to signal a change in speed and direction. You do not have constant flashing lights on the car do you? This discussion is a bout a much slower bicycle and for this reason flashing lights is only allowed In EU at a interval of 200/min and ONLY in the rear and ONLY because they've tried to harmonise various different national rules! If you've ever been riding behind a bike with flashing light for any length of time you'd know how frustrating it is! Any rider using flashing light during a brevé/century are either thrown out of the pack or bullied until he either change settings or ride in the back and for very good reason! Meeting a cyclist with flashing front lights is even more of a nightmare and illegal in the EU. The reason is the same, the eye cant adjust and therefore unable make out the space in front of you as well as the position of the oncoming cyclist. I had a very near miss just the other week and made sure that 'plunker' got the message!
Old 12-21-10, 12:13 PM
Gareth

Bikes: 2006 Falcon Explorer Hybrid, 2008 Landrover Visalia Crossover, 2010 Cargo Cycles Senton, 2010 Cargo Cycles Capability, and a 2001 AVD quad pedi-van, 1980 Peugeot Carbolite 10sp racer

I am being a little cheeky here posting a photo that my friends over at cyclemagic have posted of a tandem and trailer that they have just built:

here is a link to the cyclemagic website; Cyclemagic

Last edited by Gareth; 12-21-10 at 12:22 PM.
Old 01-02-11, 08:39 AM
rapattack

Bikes: EziGo zoom

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 12 Posts
Trailor attached to ebike

This is my ebike and i have a home made trailor. I didn't make the trailor and need help to how to attach it to the ebike.

OK i think i have attached all the files now of the trailor and the parts of the bike it should attach to. I just don't know.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
DSCF2303.jpg (99.6 KB, 114 views)
DSCF2304.jpg (94.1 KB, 128 views)
DSCF2305.jpg (79.8 KB, 116 views)
DSCF2306.jpg (87.2 KB, 112 views)
DSCF2307.jpg (78.8 KB, 116 views)
DSCF2308.jpg (78.6 KB, 118 views)

Last edited by rapattack; 01-02-11 at 08:50 AM.
Old 01-02-11, 10:38 AM
Gareth

OK, I know my trailer has an "over the wheel" drawbar:

I use a 10 mm diameter quick attach industrial ball joint for the trailer hook up, these are reasonably priced and readily available from Engineering supply companies.

https://www.springfix.co.uk/sectionpd...her-joints.pdf type R3535

There is absolutely no reason why these ball joints can not be fixed to the bicycle's chainstay by using a piece of angle iron cut and shaped to suit with hand tools and fixed with suitably sized U bolts.

Tomorrow I will make a chainstay bracket to use with a ball joint and photograph the process to show you exactly what I mean.
Old 01-03-11, 03:07 AM
rapattack

Hmmmm ok never seen anything like that. I have never heard of an engineering shop either. I will just have to get creative. I have so many pieces of things in my tool box. I should come up with something. I will have to detach the trailor everytime i come home and hang it up anyway as there is no other space for it. Thanks you have my mind clicking over all sorts of possibilities :0)
I love your trailor by the way and was relieved to hear that the heaviness of my actual trailor would not be an issue. I thought it would be hard for me to haul because of my ill health.
Oh i have another question which way should i put the trailor? Are the sockets that hold the wheels supposed to be up or down. Not sure if you know what i mean. And what side of the back wheel of the bike should i attach it to?

Last edited by rapattack; 01-03-11 at 03:11 AM. Reason: more nfo
Old 01-11-11, 09:50 PM
Stu In Tokyo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
An update on my trailer, I've been using the heck out of it and have had zero problems, until yesterday....

My fault, of course The part of the hitch that looks like a tie-rod end, well when I ordered one from the Japanese website, I mixed up the kanji for right and left, and I got one that had a left hand thread inside it I drilled it out a bit and then stuck the right hand threaded bolt I had already made into it, to keep it in place, I drilled a hole through the hole thing and put a bolt in there.
trailer_hitch_fail_1.jpg

trailer_hitch_fail_2.jpg

trailer_hitch_fail_3.jpg
trailer_hitch_fail_4.jpg
So by weakening the structure and then putting a hold through it, well it gave up the ghost on me. Luckily, it happened just after I had dropped off 3 large cases of beer at a customer's place, so no harm done but to my ego.

I had the right part on hand, as I had ordered it as soon as I realized my error. I had everything fixed and ready to roll in under an hour

Cheers!
Old 01-11-11, 10:19 PM
rapattack

Wow that is nasty damage. Glad you were able to fix it!!!
Old 01-11-11, 10:41 PM
Stu In Tokyo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It was a weak link, and I knew about it and I should have fixed it sooner, but you know, life gets in the way sometimes...

I'm just very glad it happened with the trailer empty!!
Old 01-12-11, 12:08 AM
rapattack

Yep that life. Also glad you weren't going down a hill or in traffic!
I made a mistake yesterday and accelerated, didn't put my foot on the pedal properly and scraped all the back of the ankle....ouch.
Old 01-12-11, 03:59 AM
Stu In Tokyo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Oh bugger......

The neck part of my trailer, where it connects to the trailer has busted.

When I came back from a delivery (another heavy one) I felt the back of the trailer hitting on just about every curb etc on they way, this was odd as it does not usually hit. When I parked the unit, the back of the trailer was almost touching the ground...Huh??

Turns out that the tongue was only just attached, one was busted right off
trailer_busted_1.jpg
This is the one that is still just barely attached.

trailer_busted_2.jpg
here is the one on the right that is busted right off

As you can see in this pic.....
trailer_busted_3.jpg
... it is busted right off....

I guess this is all part of making something from scratch, testing it to the point of failure over time

Well now what to do, I might just try to reinforce with a gusset what I have there, or I might rethink the whole deal and go for one stronger tube in the center...?

On thing I do not like about the twin tube set up I have now with the tongue desin is that I cannot use my pannier on the bike with the trailer, sounds dumb, but there are times when I wish I could. I might also take this opportunity to put a spacer in to raise the whole trailer up another inch, as there are sometimes ground clearance issues.....

I'll get it down to the workshop tonight and start to tackle the problem, might have to make a run to the DIY shop to buy some stronger steel too.....

There always seems to be one more thing to do

Cheers!
Old 01-12-11, 08:16 AM
rapattack

Dannngggggggg that is hardcore. How long ago did you make it and how many heavy loads have you taken on it?
Old 01-12-11, 06:25 PM
Stu In Tokyo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks!

I guess about 9 months, and It think I've maxed out at around 250 lbs, for short distances on mainly flat streets.

Cheers!
Old 01-12-11, 08:54 PM
rapattack

Ah well it has had plenty of hard work and use!!!!
Old 01-12-11, 09:13 PM
crazzywolfie

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
that is why i like my steel trailer. steel bends but does not break or tare as easily. plus with aluminum your would need an expensive welder to fix it. with my steel trailer i can fix my trailer with torches or a cheap welder.
Old 01-13-11, 01:38 AM
Stu In Tokyo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by crazzywolfie
that is why i like my steel trailer. steel bends but does not break or tare as easily. plus with aluminum your would need an expensive welder to fix it. with my steel trailer i can fix my trailer with torches or a cheap welder.
Yep, steel rocks!

It is fixed, but I don't have the camera with me, forgot it down in the Dungeon!

I'll post pics later, I'm pleased!
Old 01-13-11, 03:55 AM
Stu In Tokyo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
OK, some pics....

SN3D3298.jpg
You can see the gussets I put at each joint in the new trailer tongue.

SN3D3299.jpg
A close up, welding is OK, but not great.

SN3D3300.jpg
Here is the vertical part of the tongue where it attaches at the front of the trailer

SN3D3301.jpg
The strong back I put on the inside of the trailer that extends up to the first joint in the new tongue. I think this will be very solid. The hole is for the hook of my tie-down strap

SN3D3302.jpg
Here is is all a done, with out the brake mechanism attached, and then some paint.

I really do think this will be really strong, but lets see what happens in a years time........ if it makes it that far
Old 01-13-11, 11:15 PM
Stu In Tokyo

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Finished up around 3AM, the brakes too much longer than expected to get them right

But they work great.

bike_trailer_ver_2.jpg

I'll take some better pictures later.

Took it for a quick ride, seems to be just fine.

Cheers!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.