Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

How Much Wind Do You Tolerate?

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

How Much Wind Do You Tolerate?

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-18, 01:50 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
Originally Posted by Hypno Toad
Yep! There was another wind thread, a much older one.

To be fair, not all winds are created equal, canyons and downtown skyscrapers can take a 20 mph wind a create a focused much fast wind speed.
Yes ... around here, if a person is planning to cycle up Mt Wellington, a challenge in itself, a person has to pick the day with care. It can get scary windy up there! Also quite chilly because of the elevation.
Old 02-03-18, 05:37 PM
big chainring 

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 752 Post(s)
Liked 730 Times in 353 Posts
I remember getting caught in a snow squall once. Riding in the flatlands of Illinois in February. It was right around freezing. Heading into a good headwind and I look up ahead in the distance and see this curtain of gray/white. And its moving right toward me. Pretty much a white out as it engulfed me. Just getting pummeled with wind and snow. Lasted about 5 minutes and it was over. Then I realized the front of me was plastered with snow. I was like...crap this is all going to melt on me and I'll be soaking wet and freezing. I brushed off what I could and the snow did indeed melt. But this was in the days of wool tights and wool jerseys. The water just wicked and evaporated away. Wind alone isnt bad but combined with cold temps it can really bite you. Literally feels like your face is being stung. I've had good rides in heavy wind and bad rides too. Its all part of the game.
Old 02-06-18, 10:41 PM
SHBR
C*pt*i* Obvious

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 596 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 44 Posts
Originally Posted by Hypno Toad
I've never cancelled a ride for weather.
Never say never.

I don't have any guilt postponing a ride.

Often times I have ridden when I could have waited an hour or perhaps a day later, after conditions improve.

I've also been lucky a few times and beat the storm.

Organized events in foul weather seem to be a cruel and unusual form of punishment to me.

I've done it, prefer not to anymore, I've got nothing to prove.
Old 02-06-18, 11:44 PM
531Aussie
Aluminium Crusader :-)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 7 Posts
Wind has never stopped me riding. I already miss enough rides due to rain and cold, so if I also skipped windy days, I'd probably miss another 20 or 30 rides a year. By the way, I don't ride indoors.

I generally prefer some wind, because I know where I stand. When conditions are dead still (even worse when it's still and foggy), it feels like you've got a slight headwind the whole way, but with a wind I obviously know when I'm grinding into it, or 'across' it, and then I fly home at 50km/h when it's behind me
Old 02-07-18, 02:14 AM
e17blade

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
When I had a pair of 50mm Mavic Cosmic Carbones I avoided windy days almost completely - it was like riding a bucking bronco - especially if the wind was gusting. I just hated it.

These days - with different wheels - I don’t mind the wind at all.
Old 02-07-18, 07:54 AM
San Pedro

Bikes: 2011 Giant Seek R3, 2015 Specialized Allez Elite, 2017 Giant TCR Advanced 2

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
The other day I had some real gusty cross winds with some light snow. Even with my low profile Ultegra wheels I was feeling less than steady at times. I don't think I'll ever buy any deep wheelset because of the frequency of windy days where I ride now.
Old 02-07-18, 09:08 AM
Hypno Toad
meh

Bikes: 23 Cutthroat, 21 CoMotion Java; 21 Bianchi Infinito; 15 Surly Pugsley; 11 Globe Daily; 09 Kona Dew Drop; 96 Mondonico

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1111 Post(s)
Liked 1,013 Times in 519 Posts
Originally Posted by SHBR
Never say never.

I don't have any guilt postponing a ride.

Often times I have ridden when I could have waited an hour or perhaps a day later, after conditions improve.
For training rides, I'll adjust start time to avoid the dangerous conditions (lightening, tornadoes, ... ), but wind typically only effect the route (avoid busy or narrow roads).

At competitive events, my training in terrible conditions has allowed me to be a strong finisher. Mind you, my races are typically free events with no serious prizes for a strong finish...
Old 02-07-18, 09:18 AM
ksryder

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1281 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 329 Posts
I used to take great pride in riding outdoors all winter NO MATTER WHAT.

I no longer do that. (A) that's a good way to wear out parts in a hurry; (B) absolutely no one cares; and (C) I've proven that I can do, now I just don't want to.

But this only applies to cold and wet (which is exacerbated by wind). I don't cancel for *just* wind.

I used to be in the army - that means I'm capable of suffering, I just avoid it if possible.
Old 02-07-18, 09:30 AM
ussprinceton

Bikes: '18 S-Works Tarmac (white letters), '18 S-Works Tarmac (black letters), '22 Allez Elite, '16 Emonda SL, '03 fuel100, '14 adventure3

Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 82 Times in 66 Posts
I ride and test if it blows me into the car lanes. If so, I don't do it
Old 02-08-18, 08:08 AM
bikecrate

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 624 Post(s)
Liked 397 Times in 226 Posts
20 - 25 mph is about my limit. Gusty crosswinds are the main problem. I unclipped my right leg once at a light and got hit by a big gust of wind. It stood me right up and almost dumped me to the left on top of a car.
Old 03-03-18, 08:31 AM
Jim from Boston

Mentioned: 49 Post(s)
Quoted: 800 Post(s)
Liked 218 Times in 171 Posts
Originally Posted by RFEngineer
At what point will you cancel your ride because of the wind? 15 mph sustained winds? 20? 30? I've had a couple beautiful days here lately, but the wind has been ridiculous. There's no way I can have an enjoyable time in 20 mph winds.
Alan
I thought this post on the Road Cycling thread, Tales of Not Riding was an appropriate answer.
Originally Posted by kbarch
Although it had been forecast to be quite windy today, the weather app was indicating winds only in the mid-to-high teens, so I started getting ready to go out.

Then I started to hear gusts of wind just roaring, and had second thoughts. I was kinda looking forward to working against the wind a bit, and taking advantage of a nice tailwind here and there on some key segments, but hearing the sudden gusts had me putting the gear back in the drawer. And as I type this, they're just getting louder and more frequent.

It's one thing to push against the wind (merely a struggle), quite another to be knocked around by it (really scary). Plus I didn't like the thought of having a tree fall on me. I'm gonna stay inside, I think. Should be more calm tomorrow.

I wonder if they held the races in the park this morning....

Last edited by Jim from Boston; 03-03-18 at 08:36 AM.
Old 03-03-18, 08:54 AM
San Pedro

Bikes: 2011 Giant Seek R3, 2015 Specialized Allez Elite, 2017 Giant TCR Advanced 2

Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Well, according to the Windows 10 weather app,I did a ride to week with a 45mph crosswind, and the next day a 30mph headwind. The headwind was more tiring, the crosswind was more challenging to control the bike.
Old 03-03-18, 12:04 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
100 knot gale, when my house is up wind.. as it was in 07.. I walked the bike then..
Old 03-03-18, 03:43 PM
kcblair
Old Legs

Bikes: '80 Strayvaigin, '84 Ciocc Aelle-Shimano 105, '90 Concorde Astore /Campy Triple ,85 Bridgestone 500/Suntour, 2005 Jamis Quest, 2017 Raleigh Merit 1, Raleigh Carbon Clubman

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 302 Post(s)
Liked 33 Times in 22 Posts
12(ish) mph is my limit. KB.
Old 03-03-18, 04:00 PM
PM City

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
It depends on the ride I have planned. It sounds a bit counter intuitive, but if I'm rolling out for an easy day, wind bothers me a lot more. If I'm headed out to hammer it a bit, I don't care as much...probably because I'm more focused on the pain
Old 03-03-18, 05:17 PM
rivers

Quoted: 97 Post(s)
Liked 140 Times in 82 Posts
It depends. At this time of year, I get excited if the winds dip into the single digits. If it's only occasionally gusty, I'll not go out if it's gusting above 30mph. If it's really gusty, I tend to call it around 23-25mph. If it's raining, windy, and cold, I might not ride. I don't mind the cold. It was -7*C (about 20* F) the other day, and I had a lovely ride, although it was quite windy.
Old 03-03-18, 05:27 PM
Litespud

Bikes: 2000 Litespeed Vortex Chorus 10, 1995 DeBernardi Cromor S/S

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 645 Post(s)
Liked 797 Times in 446 Posts
At, say, 15-20 mph, the wind would definitely be a factor in the ride, but not necessarily a deal-breaker. My group (~16 riders) headed out this morning into ~18 mph wind. The outbound leg was into the wind, so we took short pulls and took it easy. We flew on the homebound leg.
Old 03-03-18, 07:06 PM
kbarch

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 1096 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Litespud
At, say, 15-20 mph, the wind would definitely be a factor in the ride, but not necessarily a deal-breaker. My group (~16 riders) headed out this morning into ~18 mph wind. The outbound leg was into the wind, so we took short pulls and took it easy. We flew on the homebound leg.
Sounds like fun - hope to get in a ride like that tomorrow....
Old 03-04-18, 06:46 AM
ksryder

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1281 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 329 Posts
Originally Posted by Litespud
Yep. Where I live, if you don't ride when it's windy (esp. in spring) you'll never ride.

Went out on a tandem yesterday with 15-20 sustained and 25+ gusts. Took a KOM and a couple PRs on the way back 😆
Old 03-04-18, 07:36 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 596 Times in 329 Posts
Originally Posted by ksryder
Yep. Where I live, if you don't ride when it's windy (esp. in spring) you'll never ride.

Went out on a tandem yesterday with 15-20 sustained and 25+ gusts. Took a KOM and a couple PRs on the way back 😆
We did something like that recently. We rode a particular stretch of road we had not been on before during a century ride ... and I took a 7th place trophy. A couple weeks later, we were riding near that stretch of road, when I realised that if we rode it again, we'd have a roaring tailwind. And ... maybe I could boost my place and capture a 5th place trophy.

We got out there and I did 40+ km/h all the way down ... it's a slight downhill and we had a brilliant tailwind.

I checked at the end of the ride ... QOM!!

By one second.

So I'll probably end up losing it ... but then I'll just have to wait till the wind is right and try to take it again.
Old 03-04-18, 08:01 AM
car knocker
Bicyclist

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Windy days

I'm currently out riding in 40 mph gusts and loving it,but,I'm using my ebike so its no problem. Still getting the HR up pedaling into the wind and up hills.Lots of fun.
Old 03-04-18, 06:44 PM
kbarch

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 1096 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Machka
We did something like that recently. We rode a particular stretch of road we had not been on before during a century ride ... and I took a 7th place trophy. A couple weeks later, we were riding near that stretch of road, when I realised that if we rode it again, we'd have a roaring tailwind. And ... maybe I could boost my place and capture a 5th place trophy.

We got out there and I did 40+ km/h all the way down ... it's a slight downhill and we had a brilliant tailwind.

I checked at the end of the ride ... QOM!!
How thrilling! Kudos

With decent winds still in the forecast, I was hoping to get some good times today, too, but as it turned out, the wind wasn't so strong on the roads we took, and I haven't been training well - the few achievements I did end up with were rather random. However, on the one segment I most wanted to take advantage of the wind, I did get the second best time of the year so far (of 599 athletes), so I was very happy about that, especially since the guy with the best time of the year also got his today. But it was way off my best times - it's a 350-yard 6% grade segment which I managed to do at 16.9 mph today. Best time was over 19.3 mph - a warm day with MUCH more favorable wind, and much better training.
Old 03-06-18, 01:31 PM
Abe_Froman

Bikes: Marin Four Corners, 1960's Schwinn Racer in middle of restoration, mid 70s Motobecane Grand Touring, various other heaps.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 9347 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 51 Posts
Originally Posted by e17blade
When I had a pair of 50mm Mavic Cosmic Carbones I avoided windy days almost completely - it was like riding a bucking bronco - especially if the wind was gusting. I just hated it.

These days - with different wheels - I don’t mind the wind at all.
I've never had deep section wheels...is it really that big of an issue? Is this something only wee little people worry about...or is 190 lbs going to get tossed around on the wrong wheels?
Old 03-06-18, 05:53 PM
firebird854

Bikes: 2016 Specialized Tarmac Expert

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 261 Post(s)
Liked 125 Times in 66 Posts
Once my power meter arrives I won't have the slightest care about wind, in the past I would avoid 15+mph average (unless it's in the direction of a strava segment hehe) because it would skew ride metrics, but now, I can quantify effort any any weather!
Old 03-06-18, 11:37 PM
jitteringjr

Bikes: 2018 Canyon Aeroad CF SLX 9.0 2016 Bombtrack Arise Campy build cross bike 2005 Fuji Outland Pro

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 361 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Abe_Froman
I've never had deep section wheels...is it really that big of an issue? Is this something only wee little people worry about...or is 190 lbs going to get tossed around on the wrong wheels?
I am riding 62mm deep mavic cometes and cross winds suck although the more I ride with them the less severe the ‘tossing’ feels. I am only 170# these days.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.