Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg)
Reload this Page >

Superclyde 1st bike decision! Help!

Search
Notices
Clydesdales/Athenas (200+ lb / 91+ kg) Looking to lose that spare tire? Ideal weight 200+? Frustrated being a large cyclist in a sport geared for the ultra-light? Learn about the bikes and parts that can take the abuse of a heavier cyclist, how to keep your body going while losing the weight, and get support from others who've been successful.

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-15, 03:00 PM
Mwoods126

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

So here is my quick story...I'm a big guy in general but especially so in the biking world..6'4" 375lbs football player type body not a big gut just big. I've been reading all through this site and from what I've gathered information wise I was off to my LBS to see what they suggested. I'm looking to first lose weight and get in shape then hopefully get more off road and do some more risky mountain biking.. One LBS suggested a Trek 8.3 ds for 699 (told them I was limited to under 750 ...thanks wife) the other shop said how Bout a 2014 giant talon 3 for 550 that when I'm ready I could upgrade when I'm ready ...now I'm unsure what to do I've ridden both and feel comfortable on both what's the better choice?!
Any and all help greatly appreciated! Glad to be here!
Old 06-17-15, 03:52 PM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Bikes: Surly CrossCheck, Krampus

Quoted: 26 Post(s)
Liked 3,499 Times in 2,597 Posts
I"m not sure I'm seeing the exact versions you're considering online, I can only find 27.5 wheels for the Giant Talon 3, but Trek 8.3 ds looks like a niner. So if I'm looking at the wrong models, I might be speaking nonsense about specs...

Those bikes are very similar, and only $20 apart in MSRP. I bet the lower price for the giant is because it is a 1yr old model, and I would recommend giant already just for saving $150.

6'4" is pretty tall, the benefit to you of the larger 29" wheels on the Trek might be worth the extra $150, but 27.5 is pretty good too.

Does the giant have hydraulic disc brakes vs trek mechanical? If so, another point in favor of the giant.

Both have forks with lockout, that's good.

Trek has Acera, Giant has Altus, I forget which direction the shimano hierarchy goes but I know those are next to each other, probably not much difference there.

32-spoke wheels on both, that might be pushing the envelope on the rear wheel for 375lbs. Whichever bike you get you might consider paying the shop an extra $25 or so to properly tension&de-stress so the wheel is as strong as possible (or maybe convince them to throw that service in for free?)
Old 06-17-15, 04:07 PM
bassjones

Bikes: Cannondale CAAD9-4

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm your height and was heavier than you when I started. Honestly, you can ride whatever you're comfortae on, but the wheels could prove problematic on some stock bikes. Take a look at Jamis Coda too (steel). Really, your options are pretty open though. I don't have experience with either of those bikes though.
Old 06-17-15, 04:37 PM
Mwoods126

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the quick reply! Yes you are correct about the wheel sizes for both and yes the giant does have hydraulic brakes vs the trek mechanical. The one thing I'm slightly concerned about with the giant is that I probably will be mostly on the road until I'm more comfortable going off road and I don't know if that's going to tear the tires up or have much of an effect? Again thanks for the input!
Old 06-17-15, 04:41 PM
Mwoods126

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't think my reply to bass posted but ... What did you start out on? I will look into the Jamis when I find a dealer that sells them so I can ride it before I buy. How's your progress? Thanks for the input!
Old 06-17-15, 05:14 PM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

Originally Posted by Mwoods126
Thanks for the quick reply! Yes you are correct about the wheel sizes for both and yes the giant does have hydraulic brakes vs the trek mechanical. The one thing I'm slightly concerned about with the giant is that I probably will be mostly on the road until I'm more comfortable going off road and I don't know if that's going to tear the tires up or have much of an effect? Again thanks for the input!
I can't tell what tread pattern the "Giant Sport 27.5x2.1" tires would have. For road you would want less knobby, particularly down the center. Online pics of the Trek tires (Bontrager LT2) look like they would be ideal, but at a 2.1" width, I bet the Giant's tires are really mountain tires. The concern is not so much that they will get torn up on the road, but that they will slow you down. A pair of alternate tires might be something else you could ask for from the dealer, if not then you would either suffer unnecessary rolling resistance, or buy different tires. You may be able to get $20-30 on eBay for brand-new takeoff tires, but I would save them for eventual trail use. I'm not well-informed about 27.5, I would guess that tire selection might be skimpier, and price a little higher, than 26 or 29 tires, but maybe somebody else can provide a good recommendation for 27.5 tires for hybrid/road use.
Old 06-17-15, 06:14 PM
Mwoods126

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm gonna start looking into tires for the giant ..I'm thinking the giant will be my choice but still kinda stuck on the trek...ahhhh
Old 06-17-15, 07:21 PM
bassjones

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I don't think my reply to bass posted but ... What did you start out on? I will look into the Jamis when I find a dealer that sells them so I can ride it before I buy. How's your progress? Thanks for the input!
My Cannondale CAAD9. I did have a set of wheels built up for it - "Big Boy Wheels" as my wheel builder calls them. I'm riding 62 miles in 10 days, which will be my long ride of the season so far. I ride 80-100 miles a week. I'm under 300 for the first time in 20 years with about 75 - 80 to go. Eat for weight loss, ride for fitness and resist the urge to out eat your ride. Bike and wheels were 3x's your budget though... However, Cannondale builds stout bikes and has several hybrid style bikes in your price range. I really like the Quick CX lineup - look at the CX4. No suspension, 700c tires, 32 spoke wheels. It's right on the edge of your price range. Great bike though.
https://www.cannondale.com/nam_en/201...-cx/quick-cx-4

Last edited by bassjones; 06-17-15 at 07:26 PM.
Old 06-17-15, 07:28 PM
Mwoods126

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you for the advice on the canondales. Congrats on your fitness success so far! I'm hoping to be under 300 by Christmas. I'm going in at this budget to prove to my fiancé and well myself that I can and will stick with it. I'm hoping to get addicted to it and then be able to move up in the bike world!
Old 06-17-15, 07:33 PM
bassjones

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thank you for the advice on the canondales. Congrats on your fitness success so far! I'm hoping to be under 300 by Christmas. I'm going in at this budget to prove to my fiancé and well myself that I can and will stick with it. I'm hoping to get addicted to it and then be able to move up in the bike world!
Bad Boy 4 - BAD BOY - URBAN - FITNESS & URBAN - BIKES - 2015
Check out the Bad Boy 4 too... It's pretty similar to the Quick CX only comes with road tires -
Old 06-17-15, 08:07 PM
Mwoods126

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
On it thanks man
Old 06-17-15, 10:35 PM
RubeRad
Keepin it Wheel

I'm gonna start looking into tires for the giant ..I'm thinking the giant will be my choice but still kinda stuck on the trek...ahhhh
Like I said before, those bikes are quite similar, so if it helps I don't think you would end up regretting either purchase.

Last edited by RubeRad; 06-18-15 at 09:01 AM.
Old 06-18-15, 08:53 AM
Jarrett2

Bikes: Steel 1x's

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 632 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I started riding at 375 on a Specialized Expedition Sport. It had 26" wheels and I didn't have any problems with the wheels.

After about 250 miles, I got bored with the comfort cruiser deal and got a Trek FX 7.2 and then not too long after, I got a Trek DS 8.3. I had spoke breakage problems on each of those bikes right up until the day I traded them in. I think if I knew then what I know now, I could have kept those wheels going better. I was just taking them to someone who didn't know how to maintain a clyde wheel.

At 325 lbs, I went to a Specialized road bike with disc brakes and strong 32 spoke wheels that never had a problem. But the wheels were gone over by a knowledgeable guy before the sale.

If you do have problems with the wheels after purchase, there are lots of good aftermarket options out there for reasonable cost. Being heavy means you have to focus and learn a lot about wheel building along the way, either hands on or at least in principle what to look for in a wheel. After all the headaches with my wheels early on, I got a truing stand, tension meter and spoke wrench and I maintain my own wheels now. They last a lot longer that way.

Either of those bikes would be good to start out on as long as the wheels are gone through by someone really knowledgeable.

Disc brakes are also a good option at your size. Avid BB7's are the ones to look for typically.

What other brands does your local bike shop carry?
Old 06-18-15, 11:14 AM
Mwoods126

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for all your info on wheels I was looking at them last night that's a dangerous rabbit hole to jump down lol 2 hours later... But as far as other brands canondale,felt,specialized... All I can think of off the top of my head. I'd be interested in doing my own wheels in time.