Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Viscount death fork

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Viscount death fork

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-20, 09:34 PM
Cdubb79w

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Viscount death fork

Hi all,

Going to look at a old Viscount bike next week wanted to see if it had the infamous death fork. Can someone link my gallery in a comment so its easier to view? If it is the death fork can someone link me a replacement or is there any collectors looking for one? Also I read about pressed BBs (ball bearings?) on these bikes, can someone also link an economical replacement for me? Anything else I should look for on this bike when I go look at it? I think I can get it for $20 so I can be a little forgiving on condition to a point.

Thoughts?
Old 07-22-20, 09:55 PM
79pmooney

Bikes: (2) ti TiCycles, 2007 w/ triple and 2011 fixed, 1979 Peter Mooney, ~1983 Trek 420 now fixed and ~1973 Raleigh Carlton Competition gravel grinder

Mentioned: 129 Post(s)
Quoted: 4802 Post(s)
Liked 3,923 Times in 2,552 Posts
Those forks were made with three different details at the steerer/crown juncture. The forks look identical on the bike except looking up at the underside of the crown. Some are smooth aluminum across the top. Others have the hose for a steerer and you may see the steerer. If it is smooth,it's the real death fork. Don't ride it. None are good forks but the ones with the steerer holes are far better.

I had the smooth version and paid. You don't want anybody you remotely care about to go through what I did. (I used to wonder how they did that "blind:" juncture as an engineering student. I knew from sophomore materials that you would NEVER machine an aluminum plug to the inside of the steerer; They did. I've seen the broken plug with my own eyes (months after coming out of the coma).

Cannot help you with the best fork, but that knowledge is out there, You'll probably see it in the next few replies.

Ben
Likes For 79pmooney:
Old 07-22-20, 10:59 PM
polymorphself 

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 837 Post(s)
Liked 1,080 Times in 521 Posts
Not sure where you’re located but in most cities you can get quality vintage bikes for under $100 on Craigslist and OfferUp. I wouldn’t go for the viscount just to then go through the trouble of sourcing a separate fork and then having a frankenbike without really good reason.
Old 07-23-20, 12:08 AM
scarlson 

Bikes: Ron Cooper touring, 1959 Jack Taylor 650b ladyback touring tandem, Vitus 979, Joe Bell painted Claud Butler Dalesman, Colin Laing curved tube tandem, heavily-Dilberted 1982 Trek 6xx, René Herse tandem

Mentioned: 80 Post(s)
Quoted: 964 Post(s)
Liked 1,451 Times in 723 Posts
It may be a good deal depending on the inflated state of the used bike market during this strange time. Certainly you can't go wrong for $20 if there's at least one usable part on the bike that you can sell off to make back your money! I mean that's stupid-cheap.

Have you read Sheldon Brown's thing on Lambert/Viscount? He's a fountain of information.
https://sheldonbrown.com/lambert.html
Old 07-23-20, 12:30 AM
Lascauxcaveman 

Bikes: A green one, "Ragleigh," or something.

Mentioned: 194 Post(s)
Quoted: 1627 Post(s)
Liked 630 Times in 356 Posts
I like my Lambert well enough to have kept it since 1982. It came to me with the original Version 1 death fork (the really deadly one) and the replacement Tange steel fork warrantee replacement, which incidentally weighed a couple ounces less than the aluminum one, and is the one I've always used with it. There's no reason to use the death fork if you're actually going to ride the bike, as opposed to just displaying it.

It's a good idea to weigh all the usual factors: Is it your size? Nothing bent or cracked (cf: the filet brazed head tubes on some Lamberts)? What else you need to change on it? Etc.
● 1971 Grandis SL ● 1972 Lambert Grand Prix frankenbike ● 1972 Raleigh Super Course fixie ● 1973 Nishiki Semi-Pro ● 1979 Motobecane Grand Jubile ●1980 Apollo "Legnano" ● 1984 Peugeot Vagabond ● 1985 Shogun Prairie Breaker ● 1986 Merckx Super Corsa ● 1987 Schwinn Tempo ● 1988 Schwinn Voyageur ● 1989 Bottechia Team ADR replica ● 1990 Cannondale ST600 ● 1993 Technium RT600 ● 1996 Kona Lava Dome ●

Last edited by Lascauxcaveman; 07-23-20 at 11:20 PM.
Old 07-23-20, 05:39 AM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2482 Post(s)
Liked 2,952 Times in 1,677 Posts
Don't ride any Viscount/Lambert with any version of the aluminum fork.

From the Sheldon Brown page on Viscount/Lambert bikes:

Yamaha purchased the Viscount in 1978 or so and promptly recalled every cast aluminum fork ever sold on a Viscount or Lambert, replacing them with a chromed steel Tange fork.

More about the Yamaha recall.

Contact Yamaha for instructions on receiving the replacement steel fork.
Old 07-23-20, 05:44 AM
nlerner

Mentioned: 481 Post(s)
Quoted: 3808 Post(s)
Liked 6,681 Times in 2,609 Posts
I’ve replaced the cartridge BB bearings on a couple of these, and in one case the spindle, too, as the original had some cases of snapping off at the circlip groove. I wonder of one of the threadless YST or Vélo Orange BB units would work as they’re probably a better solution than struggling with the original components.
Old 07-23-20, 06:34 AM
easyupbug 

Bikes: too many sparkly Italians, some sweet Americans and a couple interesting Japanese

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 581 Times in 409 Posts
If you can not source locally I have the Tange replacement for a smaller frame, can't recall but was 54ish and the pressed BB with even spare bearings for it. I bought the bike for the DA group and wheels, the frame was cut up as it had a sharp deep dent in the TT
Old 07-23-20, 05:52 PM
billnuke1 

Bikes: Only my riders left...

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 350 Post(s)
Liked 782 Times in 389 Posts

If a magnet sticks, you have a new fork...
Old 07-24-20, 07:39 AM
bikerosity57

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked 28 Times in 15 Posts
I have two Viscounts with the alloy forks that I have been trying to sell. Now I doubt I ever will.

Last edited by bikerosity57; 07-24-20 at 08:24 AM.
Old 07-24-20, 07:41 AM
easyupbug 

Bikes: too many sparkly Italians, some sweet Americans and a couple interesting Japanese

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 581 Times in 409 Posts
Originally Posted by billnuke1

If a magnet sticks, you have a new fork...
As does the nice Tange fork crown. Lambert and Viscount forks did not have fork crowns.