Search
Notices
Track Cycling: Velodrome Racing and Training Area Looking to enter into the realm of track racing? Want to share your experiences and tactics for riding on a velodrome? The Track Cycling forums is for you! Come in and discuss training/racing, equipment, and current track cycling events.
View Poll Results: Which Cranks do you prefer?
Dura Ace 7600
7.14%
Dura Ace 7700
17.86%
Sugino 75
25.00%
Sram Omnium
21.43%
Suntour
0%
Campy
17.86%
SRM
7.14%
FSA (Carbon)
3.57%
Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

Cranks of choice? (poll)

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-15, 09:41 PM
WhatsYoCadence
Annoying Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Cranks of choice? (poll)

Which cranks do you guys prefer and why?

Last edited by WhatsYoCadence; 02-17-15 at 06:58 PM.
Old 02-17-15, 12:09 AM
taras0000
Lapped 3x

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 20 Posts
Although I prefer the DA 7600, I'm currently running some Sugino 75s and a vintage pair of Campy Record Pistas.
Old 02-17-15, 12:51 AM
dunderhi

Bikes: Little Wing, XTRACK, Electron Pro, SuperCorsa, Paramount, & Thunderdrome

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
I went with Shimano D-A 7710 in 165, 170, & 172.5mm. Why? I've been riding Shimano D-A on the road for a couple decades, so it just seemed natural to stay with Shimano D-A.
Old 02-17-15, 10:04 AM
Pantani98

Bikes: yes!

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm rockin' the D-A 7710. I've only heard great things about them and you can't go wrong with Dura-Ace.
Old 02-17-15, 10:37 AM
zizou

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Miche for me, came with the bike and had no reason to change it.
Old 02-17-15, 11:55 AM
myth001

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Miche here for a newbie, bought it to replace an entry level FSA that came with my bike. My LBS praised the Miche, but looks like here it's not even in the top few of choice.
Old 02-17-15, 12:24 PM
Quinn8it

Bikes: Bianchi Pista, Bianchi Vigorelli

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
There is not a person on this board- myself included, who could tell the difference between any of the cranks listed- other than the possibility that some have quite different Q-factors..
Old 02-17-15, 12:35 PM
gtrob

Bikes: T1, S2, P3

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Im on rotor's now.

IMO, cranks are the least felt part of the bike. If they install well, dont make noise, and don't flex, I really don't care what they are. Bars/frame/pedals/tires/hubs, etc are something to dwell on.
Old 02-17-15, 01:21 PM
wens

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Quinn8it
There is not a person on this board- myself included, who could tell the difference between any of the cranks listed- other than the possibility that some have quite different Q-factors..
I could certainly feel omniums, but that's because I was bashing my ankles on them. Other than that, if they come in the right length, whatever.
Old 02-17-15, 02:38 PM
queerpunk
aka mattio

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by wens
if they come in the right length, whatever.
srsly
Old 02-17-15, 03:02 PM
Brian Ratliff

Bikes: Three road bikes. Two track bikes.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by myth001
Miche here for a newbie, bought it to replace an entry level FSA that came with my bike. My LBS praised the Miche, but looks like here it's not even in the top few of choice.
Miche is fine - I used them for a while. They are just entry level and the bottom bracket that goes with it sucks. Now I use Sugino 75s with DA rings. Good combo.
"If you’re new enough [to racing] that you would ask such question, then i would hazard a guess that if you just made up a workout that sounded hard to do, and did it, you’d probably get faster." --the tiniest sprinter
Old 02-17-15, 03:15 PM
Quinn8it

Bikes: Bianchi Pista, Bianchi Vigorelli

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Brian Ratliff
Now I use Sugino 75s with DA rings. Good combo.
hmmmmm- that's funny, I use DA Cranks with Sugino 75 Rings..

Where do you stand on the Big/Big Vs Small/Small ring cog combo argument?
Old 02-17-15, 04:09 PM
dunderhi

Bikes: Little Wing, XTRACK, Electron Pro, SuperCorsa, Paramount, & Thunderdrome

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 69 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Mongo like Big/Small.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
mongo.jpg (16.6 KB, 44 views)
Old 02-17-15, 07:03 PM
Hida Yanra
VeloSIRraptor

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I'm an enduro-sort, so can't much tell a difference anyway.

I've used 4-5 different ones now, they pretty much all work.
Some tend to be more "round" than others, more precise - helps keep the chain line in plane, but that's about the only thing I really much noticed.
Old 02-17-15, 07:03 PM
700wheel

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 11 Posts

My mechanical design handbook delves into chain drive efficiency; basically larger tooth cogs result in less chain friction and better chain load distribution (to me this means less cog wear) than smaller sprockets.
Old 02-18-15, 07:58 AM
myth001

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Miche is fine - I used them for a while. They are just entry level and the bottom bracket that goes with it sucks. Now I use Sugino 75s with DA rings. Good combo.
That's interesting, I bought mine online, and my LBS was still praising the Miche BB (well, compared to the FSA one that with the bike anyways). Oh, well! Already installed it now. perhaps something to keep in mind next time...

Originally Posted by Hida Yanra
Some tend to be more "round" than others, more precise - helps keep the chain line in plane, but that's about the only thing I really much noticed.
Never thought the 'roundness' could be such a noticeable factor! Shouldn't they all be pretty well computer designed and cut, and hence pretty 'round'?
Which ones in your opinion are 'rounder' that others?

Originally Posted by 700wheel
My mechanical design handbook delves into chain drive efficiency; basically larger tooth cogs result in less chain friction and better chain load distribution (to me this means less cog wear) than smaller sprockets.
I'm assuming that the larger cogs don't let the chain bend as much, and hence less friction. Is that right? Or is there some different logic to this?
Old 02-18-15, 08:56 AM
Brian Ratliff

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
That's interesting, I bought mine online, and my LBS was still praising the Miche BB (well, compared to the FSA one that with the bike anyways). Oh, well! Already installed it now. perhaps something to keep in mind next time...
The bearing itself is okay, probably better than the stock FSA bearings. The problem is because it is threaded into the frame without tightening against the shoulder of the bottom bracket shell, it tended (for me anyway) to start backing itself out of the frame. Basically, the whole crank assembly would start shifting to the non-driveside as the non-driveside cup backed out.

I believe you can replace it with a Sugino 75 bottom bracket which would solve this problem. I was in the middle of considering this when I found a good deal on a very lightly used Sugino 75 crankset, and so made the switch. -EDIT: scratch that... Miche uses JIS, not ISO. I'm either remembering wrong or I was contemplating some hashy setup combining an ISO bottom bracket with a JIS crankset.

The only problem I see with the Shimano crankset is the bottom bracket attachment. I don't hold with that crazy tiny spline Ocalink thing where if you use the wrong "version" you risk stripping your crank (this happened to a friend). They are also crazy expensive for what they are. Shimano rings are second to none though (IMHO).
"If you’re new enough [to racing] that you would ask such question, then i would hazard a guess that if you just made up a workout that sounded hard to do, and did it, you’d probably get faster." --the tiniest sprinter

Last edited by Brian Ratliff; 02-18-15 at 09:03 AM.
Old 02-18-15, 09:04 AM
carleton
Elitist

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Quoted: 1386 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 77 Posts
It's kinda like the difference between cooking with I Can't Believe It's Not Butter and cooking with Butter. If that's all you've had, you won't notice any problem...till you taste Butter

Never thought the 'roundness' could be such a noticeable factor! Shouldn't they all be pretty well computer designed and cut, and hence pretty 'round'?
Which ones in your opinion are 'rounder' that others?
It's a quality control thing.

A chainring that is slightly off center or warped will cause the chain to pulsate up and down as it gains and loses tension. Most do it ever-so-slightly. The more expensive ones don't. Why don't they?

- They use higher quality machining tools that have better precision.
- The tools are probably maintained more often
- Quality assurance throws out those that don't past tests

All of which means that manufacturing costs are slightly higher. Hence the higher price.

Lower-end companies will sell chainrings that Campy or Sugino will destroy.

Being that track bikes don't have a derailleur, there is nothing to take up the slack. So you have to set it with the rear wheel placement. If your chainring is perfectly round, the chain will not pulsate. If it is, then you'll have to set the wheel in a spot that doesn't make the chain too tight or too slack.

So, your chain is like pants belt:
- A derailleur would be an elastic belt that maintains the same tension even if your belly expands and contacts.
- A slack track chain would allow your pants to slide down
- A tight track chain would be constricting
- If your waist pulsated you'd pulsate between slack and a tight belt.
Old 02-18-15, 09:06 AM
Brian Ratliff

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Ha! The question for the ages. I've taken to enjoying the 13 and 14... But the 15 is so smooth for those long races .
Old 02-18-15, 09:16 AM
carleton
Elitist

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Quoted: 1386 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 77 Posts
Ha! The question for the ages. I've taken to enjoying the 13 and 14... But the 15 is so smooth for those long races .
I really have experienced smaller chainring/cog combos feeling like smaller gears.

People say it's a myth. But, perception is reality in many respects.

Just like some people can't tell if their cleats are twisted or if their saddle is 1 inch lower, other people can.
Old 02-18-15, 09:35 AM
Brian Ratliff

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by carleton
I really have experienced smaller chainring/cog combos feeling like smaller gears.

People say it's a myth. But, perception is reality in many respects.

Just like some people can't tell if their cleats are twisted or if their saddle is 1 inch lower, other people can.
I'm actually with you. People, underestimate just how sensitive the human body is. Apparently we can detect texture differences in the nanometer range.

And, I still hold that a small-small combo is going to be more responsive and more lossy due to the smaller diameter of the chain path (less inertia-more responsive, shorter bend radius-more lossy) and the higher tension on the chain (less backlash-more responsive, higher link friction-more lossy).

I would like to see someone come out to a world class sprint meet sporting a 58/15 combo sometime...
Old 02-18-15, 02:08 PM
nspace

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
How much of an issue does slight out of roundness really cause? Especially with a bit of slack in the chain. I ask because I've raced singlespeed mountain bikes for years and never noticed this pulsating (but maybe thats because I'm using splined rings). But even some guys are running Rotor Q rings, going over bumpy terrain, at some high cadences, and no one is dropping chains.

I like my Miche cranks (older style Primato), but the harder to find BCD of 135mm is what will likely prompt an upgrade just based on chainring availability.
Old 02-18-15, 02:41 PM
Brian Ratliff

Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
It's no real problem unless the roundness is so extreme as to cause problems positioning the wheel. I've seen some cheap rings that were so out of round that there was a very narrow region between the slack being too slack to ensure the chain staying on the rings and the tight being so tight as to bind the wheel. Combine that with a cheap, used, alloy frame that has gouged trackends, and you start having to plan your gear changes half an hour in advance (as me how I know this...).
Old 02-19-15, 01:19 AM
TurtleRacer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
+1. I was convinced of this when I saw how much the bottom-bracket flexes when riding in my trainer (even at 200 watts). Even if there were any flex in my cranks it would be insignificant compared to the flex in the BB.
Old 02-19-15, 06:02 AM
Soil_Sampler
A little North of Hell

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Miche

Miche uses JIS, not ISO. I'm either remembering wrong or I was contemplating some hashy setup combining an ISO bottom bracket with a JIS crankset.
New Miche JIS, old Miche ISO.