Go Back  Bike Forums > Community Connections > Regional Discussions > Southeast
Reload this Page >

Fort Mill S.C. bike trails??

Notices
Southeast Alabama | Arkansas | Florida | Georgia | Kentucky | Louisiana | Mississippi | North Carolina | South Carolina | Tennessee | Virginia

Old 08-20-18, 05:51 AM
mattbur

Bikes: 2018 Specialized Sirrus, 2016 Surly Disc Trucker, 800 MTB for winter use

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Wife and I will be visiting Fort Mill S.C. for a week and would welcome any recommendations for bike trails in the area. Or, in the absence of bike trails, some suggestions of some road routes that are not like super highways.

Also any club rides that a vacationer might be able to squeeze in on.

Thanks for any help on this. Tony
Old 08-20-18, 06:42 AM
DeadGrandpa

Bikes: Too many, yet not enough.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 491 Post(s)
Liked 307 Times in 198 Posts
Go to the Whitewater Center. I'm told there are nice trails there. Costs $6 to park. There are several other activities also. Zip lines, kayaking whitewater, climbing walls, beer and a restaurant. Some days there is live music.

The Ultimate Bike Shop hosts a group ride on Tuesday evening that tours part of the city. I'm told that they "take over the road", the group is so large.

Last edited by DeadGrandpa; 08-20-18 at 06:46 AM.
Old 08-20-18, 09:31 AM
mattbur

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DeadGrandpa
Go to the Whitewater Center. I'm told there are nice trails there. Costs $6 to park. There are several other activities also. Zip lines, kayaking whitewater, climbing walls, beer and a restaurant. Some days there is live music.

The Ultimate Bike Shop hosts a group ride on Tuesday evening that tours part of the city. I'm told that they "take over the road", the group is so large.

Thanks for the response. I checked out Ultimate bike Shops web site. Looks like they moved the big ride to Wednesday evening for now. I'll check it out when we get down there.

Thanks again.
Old 08-27-18, 03:08 PM
rutan74

Bikes: Felt ZR3, Specialized Sectur

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked 52 Times in 37 Posts
Originally Posted by mattbur
Thanks for the response. I checked out Ultimate bike Shops web site. Looks like they moved the big ride to Wednesday evening for now. I'll check it out when we get down there.

Thanks again.
I live in the area. Whitewater center is good although I am not a mountain biker. It is a pretty cool place just to visit and if the water is running you can watch some whitewater training.

As for other riding, you might want to take a short drive down to Riverwalk in Rock Hill. There is an entire cycling community there. There is a world class velodrome, a criterium course (1.1mi) that is totally closed to any car traffic and a world class BMX track where last year's World Championships were held.

If you are certified, you can rent a bike for 5 dollars and ride the velodrome. No cost, just need a bike for the criterium. Any bike will do. Just Google Rock Hill Velodrome and it will take you to the Rock Hill parks page that has some pictures and an event calendar. Friday nights there are races at the Velodrome and it costs nothing to watch.

Fort Mill is pretty crazy with traffic now, so road riding in and around Fort Mill and Tega Cay can get sketchy but there are roads to ride on.

john
Old 08-28-18, 06:13 AM
mattbur

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rutan74

Fort Mill is pretty crazy with traffic now, so road riding in and around Fort Mill and Tega Cay can get sketchy but there are roads to ride on.

john

Thanks John,

I appreciate your response. In the past week I've made a couple phone calls to that area and believe your spot on with the area being high traffic and very busy. I'm most interested in a bike rail trail to ride on but would be open to any lesser traveled roads also. Around here we have many rail trails within an hour or less drive. But the majority of our biking is still on our roads. But then we don't have the high traffic that you folks have. I guess I'll try mapping out a ride on Ride with GPS.

I noticed a Rt. 160 and Rt. 460 that seem to go on forever. Might be able to put something together these routes. I'm only looking for 25 to 30 mile rides. If it figures out any less I can always ride them twice.

Again, thanks for the input. Tony

Last edited by mattbur; 08-28-18 at 09:49 AM. Reason: add
Old 08-29-18, 10:38 AM
rutan74

Thanks John,

I appreciate your response. In the past week I've made a couple phone calls to that area and believe your spot on with the area being high traffic and very busy. I'm most interested in a bike rail trail to ride on but would be open to any lesser traveled roads also. Around here we have many rail trails within an hour or less drive. But the majority of our biking is still on our roads. But then we don't have the high traffic that you folks have. I guess I'll try mapping out a ride on Ride with GPS.

I noticed a Rt. 160 and Rt. 460 that seem to go on forever. Might be able to put something together these routes. I'm only looking for 25 to 30 mile rides. If it figures out any less I can always ride them twice.

Again, thanks for the input. Tony
Forget 160 and 460. Very busy. One thing to remember, York County is the fastest growing county in SC and it is I believe in the top 20 nation wide. So Fort Mill being so close to Charlotte, it is basically a neighborhood of Charlotte and with that comes very heavy traffic. No real rail trails that I know of in Fort Mill. You really have to get out and away from Fort Mill to get in the clear. You will see what I mean when you visit down here.

Again, a good bet is to ride the Criterium course in Rock Hill. It is wide enough for almost two cars. It is a closed loop with plenty of turns and has one climb. The downfall is that it is only 1.1 miles in length. 10 laps though would give you just about 1000 feet of vertical gain so it is a decent workout. There are usually a few riders riding there at any given time. It is very close to Fort Mill. Whitewater center is about 20 minutes from Fort Mill and they have a few trails for mountain biking as was mentioned earlier.

Good riding around here means heading west over Lake Wylie out in the York area. Lots of country roads west of the lake. In and around Fort Mill, you take your life in your own hands. There is a group ride on Saturday mornings out of Fort Mill right next to a development called Baxter Village and it is called Herding Cats ride or some such. Check out weeklyrides.com for rides in this area. That group ride does a 25mile loop in and around Fort Mill. It is a no drop ride but I would contact the leader and let him know if you plan on it so he is prepared. A co-worker has ridden it and said it was good.

john
Old 09-04-18, 07:25 PM
huffman 

Bikes: Niner Jet 9 • Santa Cruz 5010 • Litespeed Watia

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
Saturday’s at 2:30 there is a group road ride from the Unknown Brewery in downtown Charlotte. I drove down from Hickory and did it a couple weeks ago. Great people and a fun ride. https://www.unknowncycling.org/

If you are looking for mtn biking Whitewater Center, Poston Park and Rennisance Park.
Old 09-06-18, 07:20 AM
mattbur

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by huffman
Saturday’s at 2:30 there is a group road ride from the Unknown Brewery in downtown Charlotte. I drove down from Hickory and did it a couple weeks ago. Great people and a fun ride. https://www.unknowncycling.org/

If you are looking for mtn biking Whitewater Center, Poston Park and Rennisance Park.
Thanks Huffman, I'd be looking into road biking. I guess the general consensus from the responses here and from phone calls I've made to the Fort Mill area is the Fort Mill area is crazy busy. We won't be in the area on Saturday for the Unknown Brewery rides. We're down there from Sunday thru the following Friday. But we'll be down there for more visits in the future for sure.

Rutan74 mentioned Rock Hill area so I checked that area out and think I found a few decent road rides down that way. I checked out Map My Ride and RWGPS and put some together.

Thanks again for your ideas. The next time I get down to Fort Mill I'll post ahead of time and see if any of you North or South Carolina riders want to get together.

Tony
Old 09-15-18, 06:21 AM
SCPaul

Bikes: Disc Trucker, Jamis Dragon 650 Sport

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I lived in Fort Mill until recently. There are routes in Fort Mill that aren't bad. Look for York County bicycle route signs. But I would look more at Rock Hill starting at Main Street. You can ride out to Brattonsville or Chester Airport. If you want to ride longer than that, there are routes to Kings Mountain. Most of these have very little traffic.

Rock Hill Bike Club has rides on Monday evening and Saturday morning, leaving from Wells Fargo parking lot on Main Street.
Old 09-15-18, 04:54 PM
mattbur

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by SCPaul
I lived in Fort Mill until recently. There are routes in Fort Mill that aren't bad. Look for York County bicycle route signs. But I would look more at Rock Hill starting at Main Street. You can ride out to Brattonsville or Chester Airport. If you want to ride longer than that, there are routes to Kings Mountain. Most of these have very little traffic.

Rock Hill Bike Club has rides on Monday evening and Saturday morning, leaving from Wells Fargo parking lot on Main Street.

Well, I appreciate all the ideas from everyone on possible rides while we visited S.C.

I had a heart attack at 1:00am Sunday morning. They put 3 stents in. So for now my S.C. trip is on hold. My SIL said I'll do anything to avoid visiting her. It wasn't a major H/A so there was minimal damage to the muscle. Doc says I should recover pretty good. Still not certain what the future holds for me with cycling.

Thanks again for all you guys ideas and help.

Tony
Old 09-16-18, 07:36 PM
DeadGrandpa

Bikes: Too many, yet not enough.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 491 Post(s)
Liked 307 Times in 198 Posts
Gee whizz, guy! Take care of yourself and rehabilitate quickly and completely. All of my best wishes to you . Just goes to show we don't know what the future holds. Keep us posted on your progress.
Old 09-17-18, 07:26 AM
mattbur

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DeadGrandpa
Gee whizz, guy! Take care of yourself and rehabilitate quickly and completely. All of my best wishes to you . Just goes to show we don't know what the future holds. Keep us posted on your progress.

Thanks for the kind words. Right now I have a lifting restriction of 10# and am only allowed to walk on the road. NO cycling yet. damn
Old 09-17-18, 11:08 AM
rutan74

Well, I appreciate all the ideas from everyone on possible rides while we visited S.C.

I had a heart attack at 1:00am Sunday morning. They put 3 stents in. So for now my S.C. trip is on hold. My SIL said I'll do anything to avoid visiting her. It wasn't a major H/A so there was minimal damage to the muscle. Doc says I should recover pretty good. Still not certain what the future holds for me with cycling.

Thanks again for all you guys ideas and help.

Tony
That's tough...

FYI, my riding buddy did not have a heart attack but what was labeled as an incident. In other words, they found the blockage before he had a full scale HA. Now, he had 3 stents and we began to ride again. During the winter while spinning, he said he "felt" something. Went to cardio and he said don't worry but to be on safe side, we will do some blood work. Came back he was having another incident. He drops this MD, then goes to Raleigh and they advise him he needs bypass. Stents have basically failed in less than 2 years. He gets bypass done. Three of them in January. Recovers incredibly well and is now the poster boy for that practice. He is riding me into the ground. He is in his mid 50's too with some other complications, but the bypass was the final way to go.

Not exactly what you wanted to hear, but I though you might want to hear that even though you have some stents, your riding days are NOT over. He refused to stop riding and his doctors all agree that riding will not hurt him and in fact, after his latest bought with bypass surgery they are encouraging him to keep it up.

So, don't fret. You can keep riding. Maybe you might not be as fast, but I am sure you can keep riding if there was no major damage. My riding buddy is probably the exception to the rule since he was in pretty good shape to begin with, but after all these incidents he has still been able to keep riding and as I said, he is faster now than pre-surgery. So, even though it scared the crap out of him, he has healed and is in a much better place now than before.

john
Old 09-17-18, 04:00 PM
mattbur

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by rutan74
That's tough...

FYI, my riding buddy did not have a heart attack but what was labeled as an incident. In other words, they found the blockage before he had a full scale HA. Now, he had 3 stents and we began to ride again. During the winter while spinning, he said he "felt" something. Went to cardio and he said don't worry but to be on safe side, we will do some blood work. Came back he was having another incident. He drops this MD, then goes to Raleigh and they advise him he needs bypass. Stents have basically failed in less than 2 years. He gets bypass done. Three of them in January. Recovers incredibly well and is now the poster boy for that practice. He is riding me into the ground. He is in his mid 50's too with some other complications, but the bypass was the final way to go.

Not exactly what you wanted to hear, but I though you might want to hear that even though you have some stents, your riding days are NOT over. He refused to stop riding and his doctors all agree that riding will not hurt him and in fact, after his latest bought with bypass surgery they are encouraging him to keep it up.

So, don't fret. You can keep riding. Maybe you might not be as fast, but I am sure you can keep riding if there was no major damage. My riding buddy is probably the exception to the rule since he was in pretty good shape to begin with, but after all these incidents he has still been able to keep riding and as I said, he is faster now than pre-surgery. So, even though it scared the crap out of him, he has healed and is in a much better place now than before.

john

I suppose everyone's situation is different but at least it's encouraging to hear that your buddy is back in the saddle and riding. Sounds like the surgery helped him out quite a bit. I'm not likely to stop riding all together but will go into it a step at a time. Or a pedal at a time.

Thanks Tony