Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Living Car Free
Reload this Page >

Living Car Free...The reality.

Notices
Living Car Free Do you live car free or car light? Do you prefer to use alternative transportation (bicycles, walking, other human-powered or public transportation) for everyday activities whenever possible? Discuss your lifestyle here.

Living Car Free...The reality.

Old 09-22-18, 06:45 PM
tandempower

Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8084 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
Would you like cheese with the whine, sir?
I was just curious whether she actually cares about threads going off topic or if it's just a tactical thing to complain about with me bc she generally dislikes my POV.
Old 09-22-18, 09:11 PM
McBTC

Bikes: 2015 22 Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1543 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 39 Posts
What came first, the chicken or the finger lickin?
Old 09-22-18, 09:26 PM
cooker
Prefers Cicero

Bikes: 1984 Trek 520; 2007 Bike Friday NWT; misc others

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 3939 Post(s)
Liked 112 Times in 87 Posts
Originally Posted by Happy Feet
The train continues on to Edmonton, Winnipeg and eventually even Toronto but who wants to go there?
A lot of people, it turns out.

I had hoped to use VIA out of Toronto for day trips - take the train to Brantford or Kingston, bike around for a few hours and then take the train back, and they advertise the "bike train" which has racks so you don't have to box your bike. There are multple trains in each direction every day. Unfortunately, all the trains equipped with racks leave Toronto at midday or in the afternoon, which is incredibly annoying!
Old 09-22-18, 10:48 PM
Machka 
In Real Life

Bikes: Lots

Mentioned: 141 Post(s)
Quoted: 3203 Post(s)
Liked 595 Times in 329 Posts
Originally Posted by tandempower
I agree, and when I go to otherwise-wonderful natural preserves and see all the cars parked and all the people walking as if they're at an amusement park, it bothers me; but when I think about what it would be like if there was a train line or direct bus connection, I think it might get even worse. Compare US national parks with touristy parts of, say, Switzerland, where there are trains and cable lifts, etc. Gatlinburg and Pidgeon Forge are touristy, and it's certainly understandable to have some touristy areas like that, but given the way humans behave when they all flock to just about any destination, I wonder if making such places transit accessible isn't even worse than having them easily accessible by driving. I don't know if it's possible to entrust the transit-using public with responsible stewardship of natural areas if they get car-free access to them.
I was just curious whether she actually cares about threads going off topic or if it's just a tactical thing to complain about with me bc she generally dislikes my POV.
Well, as it happens ... you were the one to turn the conversation to National Parks.

Surprise. Surprise.

I just went with the flow.

So, while we're here. What National Parks have you visited?
Old 09-23-18, 12:41 AM
Happy Feet

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 2236 Post(s)
Liked 1,313 Times in 706 Posts
Originally Posted by cooker
A lot of people, it turns out.

I had hoped to use VIA out of Toronto for day trips - take the train to Brantford or Kingston, bike around for a few hours and then take the train back, and they advertise the "bike train" which has racks so you don't have to box your bike. There are multple trains in each direction every day. Unfortunately, all the trains equipped with racks leave Toronto at midday or in the afternoon, which is incredibly annoying!
Well that's unfortunate (living in TO that is )

Seriously, We only have I think 3 trains a week pull out of Vancouver but there is one Friday at about 10pm so it fits perfectly for a weekend departure. Takes about 20 hours to get to Jasper though. I don't think they have a bike car on this one, just a regular baggage car and the website suggests a box but they told me even a large plastic bag over the bike will do (so the other baggage doesn't get greasy). My station is quite funny as there is no station at all or even a platform and I have to hand the bike up to the person in the car because they aren't allowed to lift.

I was fortunate to take the southern route from Calgary to Vancouver back in 88, just before they privatized the route. Cost $120 then and no charge for the bike. Now it's about $2000 - 4000 and called the Rocky Mountaineer so I won't be doing that again.
Old 09-23-18, 03:24 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

OK, so there are 47 National Parks or National Park Reserves in Canada ...
https://www.pc.gc.ca/en/pn-np/recher...s-parks-search

These are the ones I've visited:
-- Banff National Park
-- Elk Island National Park
-- Glacier National Park
-- Grasslands National Park (not sure if I've been to this one, but I lived close to it when I was young, so I might have)
-- Jasper National Park
-- Kootenay National Park
-- Mount Revelstoke National Park
-- Riding Mountain National Park
-- Waterton Lakes National Park (oddly enough, given that I've lived in Alberta for much of my life, I haven't spent much time in this one)
-- Yoho National Park
Old 09-23-18, 07:39 AM
cooker
Prefers Cicero

Bikes: 1984 Trek 520; 2007 Bike Friday NWT; misc others

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 3939 Post(s)
Liked 112 Times in 87 Posts
Well that's unfortunate (living in TO that is )

Seriously, We only have I think 3 trains a week pull out of Vancouver but there is one Friday at about 10pm so it fits perfectly for a weekend departure. Takes about 20 hours to get to Jasper though. I don't think they have a bike car on this one, just a regular baggage car and the website suggests a box but they told me even a large plastic bag over the bike will do (so the other baggage doesn't get greasy). My station is quite funny as there is no station at all or even a platform and I have to hand the bike up to the person in the car because they aren't allowed to lift.

I was fortunate to take the southern route from Calgary to Vancouver back in 88, just before they privatized the route. Cost $120 then and no charge for the bike. Now it's about $2000 - 4000 and called the Rocky Mountaineer so I won't be doing that again.
I must be lot older than you because I took the train from Calgary to Vancouver in '68. I think it was about $40 then

Last edited by cooker; 09-23-18 at 07:59 AM.
Old 09-23-18, 07:41 AM
wolfchild
Banned

Bikes: I have 3 singlespeed/fixed gear bikes

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 4227 Post(s)
Liked 2,488 Times in 1,286 Posts
Originally Posted by Machka

-- Banff National Park
-- Glacier National Park
-- Grasslands National Park (not sure if I've been to this one, but I lived close to it when I was young, so I might have)
-- Jasper National Park
-- Waterton Lakes National Park (oddly enough, given that I've lived in Alberta for much of my life, I haven't spent much time in this one)
-- Yoho National Park
I have visited Grassland National Park in SASK way back in 1999. I drove there from Ontario. It's a fascinating place, the park is divided into a west side and east side. I am fascinated by desert landscapes so I visited the part which looks like a desert and camped there for a few days, had to use water filter to filter my water out of a small creek which had milky coloured water full of sediment...I have also visited Lake Superior Provincial Park...Most of my wilderness trips have been done on Crown Land in Ontario. I used topo maps and compass and just bushwack my way in and explore.
Old 09-23-18, 07:44 AM
tandempower

Well, as it happens ... you were the one to turn the conversation to National Parks.

Surprise. Surprise.

I just went with the flow.

So, while we're here. What National Parks have you visited?
Ok, so you are ok with people going with the flow of whatever is mentioned in the thread, but you still reserve the right to respond to things you dislike by complaining they have nothing to do with the thread topic?
Old 09-23-18, 07:58 AM
Machka 
In Real Life

Originally Posted by wolfchild
I have visited Grassland National Park in SASK way back in 1999. I drove there from Ontario. It's a fascinating place, the park is divided into a west side and east side. I am fascinated by desert landscapes so I visited the part which looks like a desert and camped there for a few days, had to use water filter to filter my water out of a small creek which had milky coloured water full of sediment...I have also visited Lake Superior Provincial Park...Most of my wilderness trips have been done on Crown Land in Ontario. I used topo maps and compass and just bushwack my way in and explore.
Sounds a bit like Spruce Woods Provincial Park in Manitoba. I camped in that park on many occasions ... one of my favourites. And one of the reasons for that was the desert landscape. They did horse and buggy tours through the desert which were always a highlight.
Old 09-23-18, 09:44 AM
tandempower

Sounds a bit like Spruce Woods Provincial Park in Manitoba. I camped in that park on many occasions ... one of my favourites. And one of the reasons for that was the desert landscape. They did horse and buggy tours through the desert which were always a highlight.
I wonder when someone will mass market some good horse diapers so horse and buggy can be re-introduced as public transit via ride-sharing apps.
Old 09-23-18, 11:16 AM
Happy Feet

-- Banff National Park
-- Glacier National Park
-- Jasper National Park

-- Yoho National Park
Bolded the ones I can travel through by taking the train to Jasper and cycling home.
Old 09-23-18, 11:27 AM
Happy Feet

I have been there! Probably.. 1990ish for a family reunion. We took the wagon ride and walked around the sand dunes - just like the Sahara only smaller. Apparently the prevailing winds were out of the southeast so the dunes were slowly traveling across the prairie in a NW direction at a rate of about 6" a year IIRC. The wind picks the sand up on one side and deposits it on the other.

Just a month ago I drove out to the Great Sand Hills in Sask. to see those as well. Similar but not as dramatic.

Old 09-23-18, 11:29 AM
Happy Feet

I have been there! Probably.. 1990ish for a family reunion. We took the wagon ride and walked around the sand dunes - just like the Sahara only smaller. Apparently the prevailing winds were out of the southeast so the dunes were slowly traveling across the prairie in a NW direction at a rate of about 6" a year IIRC. The wind picks the sand up on one side and deposits it on the other.

Just a month ago I drove out to the Great Sand Hills in Sask. to see those as well. Similar but not as dramatic.

I wonder if there are any other sand dunes to visit in Western Canada?
Old 09-23-18, 11:33 AM
Happy Feet

Originally Posted by cooker
I must be lot older than you because I took the train from Calgary to Vancouver in '68. I think it was about $40 then
I am 55.

I distinctly remember thinking I was being cheeky because I claimed student status to get the reduced fare at the time. I had a student card from SAIT as I was doing a modular EMT-A course that had training days on the campus so I wasn't really a student in the traditional sense but was willing to win with VIA on a technicality
Old 09-23-18, 05:07 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7628 Post(s)
Liked 3,453 Times in 1,823 Posts
I wonder when someone will mass market some good horse diapers so horse and buggy can be re-introduced as public transit via ride-sharing apps.
You are all worried about plants but not at all adverse to strapping heavy weights onto animals and making them into transport slaves.

And I am not surprised.
Old 09-23-18, 05:31 PM
Happy Feet

Just for the record, I don't think putting diapers on a horse is respecting nature. No sir.

I did try putting some on a Chihuahua once and that turned into a fiasco. In my defense; by that time I had lost all respect for the little piddle monster.
Old 09-23-18, 06:01 PM
tandempower

You are all worried about plants but not at all adverse to strapping heavy weights onto animals and making them into transport slaves.

And I am not surprised.
This is an old discussion I've had many times before. I didn't say I'm necessarily for it, but I also can't say I'm necessarily against it. It depends on how the animal feels about the situation. Some animals really enjoy helping humans in certain ways, the way some people really enjoy certain kinds of work. Some discipline may help animals as well as people discover that they actually enjoy doing things they consider burdensome chores at first. I hated household cleaning chores when I was young, but now I enjoy them somewhat, depending on how they're done. I can happily do dishes by hand in some situations but in a job situation where there is pressure to get a lot of dishes done in a limited time frame, it becomes stressful. I imagine it's like that for horses; i.e. if there is pressure on them to go fast and push themselves beyond their comfort zone, they are unhappy, but if they are enjoying pulling a wagon and getting the exercise and checking out the scenery, they probably are happier than sitting in a barn waiting to go out.
Old 09-23-18, 06:56 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
You've never run along a beach and screamed into the howling wind and crash of the waves?

Sometimes nature is the ideal place to be noisy.
Only if the bears dig AC/DC.
Old 09-23-18, 06:58 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

And I am not surprised.
I'm not going to get all religious about that but some donkey did Mary a favor getting her into town.
Old 09-23-18, 06:59 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

I wonder if there are any other sand dunes to visit in Western Canada?
I don't know but we have the Bruneau Dunes in Idaho
Old 09-23-18, 07:01 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

Originally Posted by McBTC
What came first, the chicken or the finger lickin?
Deep frying had to come before the finger lickin', as well as mass merchandising of quality spices at good prices.
Old 09-23-18, 07:05 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

Where we're going Marty, we don't need rails!

Old 09-23-18, 07:06 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bye.
Old 09-24-18, 04:37 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7628 Post(s)
Liked 3,453 Times in 1,823 Posts
Originally Posted by Rollfast
I'm not going to get all religious about that but some donkey did Mary a favor getting her into town.
I am pretty sure that the folks who want to take a horse-and-buggy ride are not Realized Deities, eh? Pretty sure that that was a one-off occurrence, and the behavior of the Being in question is to be judged by different standards ... anyone who has the kind of kindness that being supposedly realized ... well, such a person is no longer a person .... I guess .... Within that belief system, why I accept and honor but do not follow.

But ... it has NOTHING to do with what we are discussing, which are tourists riding around for personal pleasure ... so let's not mix the divine and the worldly eh? I am wide open to discussing the other ... but we cannot do it here.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.