Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

the cycling is the easy part

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

the cycling is the easy part

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-19, 04:16 PM
no motor?
Unlisted member

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1376 Post(s)
Liked 432 Times in 297 Posts
Originally Posted by rumrunn6
texted my 2 kids to get some details. son says he's willing to do some carpooling w/ daughter, but he stinks at making commitments, & he's in Boston for the weekend w/ his girlfriend, so that means we'll be hammering this out Sunday night, ugh. so it seems to be less likely to be a full week ... I'm possibly disappointed
You could still do this without needing to do it, knowing you've done it once without needing to could make it easier to do it later when you had to.
Likes For no motor?:
Old 06-07-19, 09:06 PM
Archwhorides 

Bikes: Death machines all

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 297 Post(s)
Liked 86 Times in 63 Posts
I'm impressed by this plan, which I would not attempt:

• Would need to speed up the 20+ miles with an e-bike (have the legs, not the time)
  • I need showers for anything beyond 7 miles, e-bike would extend that.
Old 06-08-19, 06:37 AM
noglider 
aka Tom Reingold

Bikes: 1962 Rudge Sports, 1971 Raleigh Super Course, 1971 Raleigh Pro Track, 1974 Raleigh International, 1975 Viscount Fixie, 1982 McLean, 1996 Lemond (Ti), 2002 Burley Zydeco tandem

Mentioned: 511 Post(s)
Quoted: 7345 Post(s)
Liked 2,452 Times in 1,430 Posts
Don't forget to plan for a vastly increased appetite. At least, I would need to. The extra food I need for cycling is astonishing. It can get expensive.

“When man invented the bicycle he reached the peak of his attainments.” — Elizabeth West, US author

Please email me rather than PM'ing me. Thanks.
Likes For noglider:
Old 06-10-19, 07:32 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5223 Post(s)
Liked 3,579 Times in 2,341 Posts
yeah, good point! one of my challenges when I stopped regular bike commuting 8 yrs ago (& other massive cross training) was reigning in my extensive nutrition efforts

well, emergency diverted. Wifey & adult kids have developed a transportation plan for the week that doesn't require my car. worked on a cpl bikes Saturday tho. guess I'll just be joy riding after work tonight

but back to the thread essence ... cycling is the easy part, IF you don't have a 2nd physical job that kicks your a*s causing extensive physical soreness head to foot. knowing I did not have to ride today, I imagined riding anyway. either round trip or a "split" driving in yesterday & riding home Sunday evening, then riding in this morning. (which I did a lot about 4 yrs ago) didn't happen because I have a 2nd physical job that kicks my a*s causing extensive physical soreness head to foot. sometimes I feel like I helped build an 1860 railroad ... I love lumber & building materials & the physical work & I helping ppl brain storm solutions. but after getting home, washing up & laying on the carpet, that's it, I'm done. no way I'm packing up my gear driving 25 miles to ride them back home. I could do it if I had to, but I didn't have to ...
Old 06-10-19, 07:37 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Originally Posted by no motor?
You could still do this without needing to do it, knowing you've done it once without needing to could make it easier to do it later when you had to.
thought about your reply all weekend. Ive done the commute one way a bunch of times, also round trip just not on a work day. maybe when the summer hits hard & the office is empty & I can walk around in shorts & sandals, I'll do the week-day round tripper
Old 06-10-19, 11:34 AM
no motor?
Unlisted member

thought about your reply all weekend. Ive done the commute one way a bunch of times, also round trip just not on a work day. maybe when the summer hits hard & the office is empty & I can walk around in shorts & sandals, I'll do the week-day round tripper
Ha! I was thinking of you this morning as I was riding in on my new longer 7 mile trip, and how the weather looks good enough to attempt commuting 4 days this week. And how many days of that it would take for 1 day of your commute!
Somebody here described my Hardrock as a tugboat, and that's a pretty good description of me on it. I think a longer commute like that would cause some changes in either the drivetrain or I'd get a second bike.
Old 06-10-19, 11:56 AM
rumrunn6

Originally Posted by no motor?
Somebody here described my Hardrock as a tugboat, and that's a pretty good description of me on it. I think a longer commute like that would cause some changes in either the drivetrain or I'd get a second bike.
ooh, maybe a preowned road bike is your future!
Old 06-10-19, 08:02 PM
banerjek
Portland Fred

Bikes: Custom Winter, Challenge Seiran SL, Fuji Team Pro, Cattrike Road/Velokit, РOS hybrid

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 232 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by Skipjacks
Where would you find the time?

That's my biggest drawback to riding more. I have the legs. I don't have the time.
Long commutes often don't cost as much time as people think. I had a 40+ mile RT commute for a decade. Even though the bulk of it was along highway, the drive probably only saved 15 min each way actual door to door time because of parking logistics and other advantages the bike offered. There is the cleanup aspect -- I got so I could freshen up in the restroom in a couple minutes and there are a few other things to sort out. But you also don't waste time working out. When you ride that consistently, you'll find the speed comes if you don't already have it.
Old 06-10-19, 11:58 PM
Phamilton
Virgo

Bikes: A touring bike and a hybrid

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 454 Post(s)
Liked 97 Times in 69 Posts
Got the legs, got the time, but I’d prefer to spend the time typing about how much I’m not riding on the internet.
Likes For Phamilton:
Old 06-11-19, 04:13 AM
acidfast7
Banned

Bikes: 2010 Cube Acid / 2013 Mango FGSS

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1053 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by banerjek
Long commutes often don't cost as much time as people think. I had a 40+ mile RT commute for a decade. Even though the bulk of it was along highway, the drive probably only saved 15 min each way actual door to door time because of parking logistics and other advantages the bike offered. There is the cleanup aspect -- I got so I could freshen up in the restroom in a couple minutes and there are a few other things to sort out. But you also don't waste time working out. When you ride that consistently, you'll find the speed comes if you don't already have it.
I agree.

For me walking / riding isn't that different when I stop at lights, watch for traffic, etc...

Getting the bike out of the shed and locking it, etc... also takes time.

I'm within an exclusion zone (I can't park at work as I live too close.) I believe they just increased the exclusion zone to 5 miles one-way or essentially the entire island.
Old 06-11-19, 07:56 AM
Steely Dan
born again cyclist

Bikes: I have five of brikes

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 201 Post(s)
Liked 78 Times in 31 Posts
Originally Posted by Skipjacks
Where would you find the time?

That's my biggest drawback to riding more. I have the legs. I don't have the time.
ditto.

back when i was a bachelor, i did 30 miles roundtrip on the bike 5 days a week without even thinking about it.

i had ungodly amounts of free-time because outside of work hours i was responsible for no one else on this planet.

but now that i'm married with children, 2+ hours per day in the saddle is no longer a tenable game plan for me.

as it is, my 16 miles roundtrip on the bike every work day are already pushing the upper limits of saddle time.
Old 06-11-19, 04:15 PM
no motor?
Unlisted member

ooh, maybe a preowned road bike is your future!
We're out of room in the garage, my GF rides about twice a year but has 2 bikes. And since it's her garage.....