Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Vintage MTB To Upright Bar / Urban Bike Conversions

Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Vintage MTB To Upright Bar / Urban Bike Conversions

Old 05-15-19, 03:01 PM
Mogens

Bikes: 2019 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 105, 1973 Raleigh Gran Sports, 1984 Calvino Palomar

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked 75 Times in 34 Posts
This began as a Trek 730 Multitrack, now it's something else. I'm going to need to address the crank, but it's riding really well and my wife loves it.

Likes For Mogens:
Old 05-15-19, 06:57 PM
due ruote 

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 903 Post(s)
Liked 524 Times in 318 Posts
Originally Posted by Matadors
The rack held up great. It was cumbersome when I had to stand to climb an extended hill, but as long as I did not throw the bike sideways I was fine. The wood dividers rattled a lot and I am going to have to figure out a bungie system to hold it still.
I use one of those cargo nets with my Wald basket. I removed the back set of hooks and zip-tied the net to the basket, so I just unhook the front and sides and fold it back over the handlebars when loading.
Likes For due ruote:
Old 05-16-19, 10:23 AM
tashi

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 23 Posts
I used a wine box on the back of my Jeunet for a while and while the look was perfect everything else about it was lame. I even went so far as to line the inside floor with soft material to keep the noise down. To me the basket wins for practical reasons and has a pretty good aesthetic anyway. A cute box is just a bit too, um, cute sometimes anyway.

I swapped out my porteur wine box for a Wald basket to see which I like better. The wood box acted like an acoustic amplifier for the road noise! The rack is more aerodynamic, lighter and my wife says looks nicer. But now I need to get a bag to carry stuff in the rack.

Likes For tashi:
Old 05-17-19, 12:20 PM
Matadors

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 43 Times in 22 Posts

A friend had a front derailleur he was not using, so I added it to my bike even though I did not think I would need it. Works great.
Old 05-19-19, 12:08 AM
BicycleSafari
Safari Master

Bikes: 84 Ross Mt.Whitney - 84 Specialized Stump Jumper - 84 Nishiki Kodiak - 86 Specialized Rockhopper - 86 Cannondal SM-600 with 24" wheels - + more project frames than I'd care to admit to

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 16 Posts
1983 StumpJumper Sport

@RALEIGH_COMP

I've been working on piecing this build together for a while, and here's the first iteration.
Still have some details and bits to change/refine, but it rides great as is.
I'm not sold on the Velo-Orange Porteur rack yet. I have the bag that goes with it, and it holds a ton of stuff which is great, but It throws the weight pretty far forward and makes the handling a little headstrong when I have it loaded with a camera and other bits.
I'm also not sold on the Paul Neo retro/touring canti's (I think I have a half set of each) a buddy gave them to me and I thought it'd be fun for this build to have a component that's a little fancier than what I normally go for, but they don't feel quite as good as some of the other setups I've put on my bikes in the past, but I'll see how they do after the pads and rims break in a little. The VO 60mm fenders work really well with the maxxis DTH 2.15's, despite the fact that the tire is 2mm larger than the largest recommended compatible size. This is my first time using the DTH tires and so far I'm really diggin them.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
IMG_9272.jpg (1.04 MB, 1326 views)
IMG_9274.jpg (1.15 MB, 1291 views)
IMG_9275.jpg (911.5 KB, 1291 views)
IMG_9276.jpg (894.0 KB, 1288 views)

Last edited by BicycleSafari; 05-19-19 at 09:29 PM.
Old 05-19-19, 06:03 PM
lorenzo_de_leon

Bikes: '76 B-Stone Kabuki (SS) / '90 B-Stone MB-6 (1x5) / '94 B-Stone MB-6 (with bobike seat for the boy) / '96 Kona Hahanna / Salsa Journeyman (Claris 650b...for gravel or something...)

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 12 Posts
Originally Posted by BicycleSafari
I've been working on piecing this build together for a while, and here's the first iteration
Can't decide which is better; this build or the photos of this build...
Old 05-19-19, 06:27 PM
BicycleSafari
Safari Master

Bikes: 84 Ross Mt.Whitney - 84 Specialized Stump Jumper - 84 Nishiki Kodiak - 86 Specialized Rockhopper - 86 Cannondal SM-600 with 24" wheels - + more project frames than I'd care to admit to

Originally Posted by lorenzo_de_leon
Can't decide which is better; this build or the photos of this build...
HA! Thank you!
It was a hazy overcast afternoon, and I found a great parking garage that was part of an old apartment complex that I was biking through. It was a nice deep space so getting it to turn into an abyss was a snap.
I use to take photos for a living, but it's been a little while, so it's nice to know I still got it
Old 05-19-19, 10:31 PM
BicycleSafari
Safari Master

I swapped out my porteur wine box for a Wald basket to see which I like better. The wood box acted like an acoustic amplifier for the road noise!
I have a hard time passing up alternatives to baskets because it's really nice to switch things up once in a while; but when it comes down to the function I still haven't found anything that I like more than a good old wald basket as far as versatility, adaptability, and comfort.
I've been on the lookout for a good wooden box for a number of years, just to have around for the right build when it comes up. I'd never even thought about the sound factor though! Definitely glad to know about that now. With that in mind it might be time to call off my box search.
Likes For BicycleSafari:
Old 05-20-19, 04:57 PM
DQRider 
Old Boy

Bikes: Mostly 1st-generation, top-of-the-line, non-unicrown MTBs/ATBs: All 1984 models: Dawes Ranger, Peugeot Canyon Express, Ross Mt. Whitney (chrome), Schwinn High Sierra, and a 1983 Trek 850.

Mentioned: 134 Post(s)
Quoted: 984 Post(s)
Liked 1,715 Times in 611 Posts
@RALEIGH_COMP

I've been working on piecing this build together for a while, and here's the first iteration.
Still have some details and bits to change/refine, but it rides great as is.
I'm not sold on the Velo-Orange Porteur rack yet. I have the bag that goes with it, and it holds a ton of stuff which is great, but It throws the weight pretty far forward and makes the handling a little headstrong when I have it loaded with a camera and other bits.
I'm also not sold on the Paul Neo retro/touring canti's (I think I have a half set of each) a buddy gave them to me and I thought it'd be fun for this build to have a component that's a little fancier than what I normally go for, but they don't feel quite as good as some of the other setups I've put on my bikes in the past, but I'll see how they do after the pads and rims break in a little. The VO 60mm fenders work really well with the maxxis DTH 2.15's, despite the fact that the tire is 2mm larger than the largest recommended compatible size. This is my first time using the DTH tires and so far I'm really diggin them.

Very nice build! I used that same model porteur rack on an old Rockhopper 1 x 10 conversion that I renamed "Curbhopper". But I didn't use it as much as I thought I would, mainly because of the reasons you have identified, so it got traded for something else.

Still, if I had to rely on bicycles only for transportation, a rig like this would be very useful to have in the stable. Please keep us posted as this project evolves.

Roulez pour la joie, jamais pour la douleur.

USMC 1981-1991 Semper Fi!
Old 05-20-19, 06:32 PM
BicycleSafari
Safari Master

Originally Posted by DQRider

Very nice build! I used that same model porteur rack on an old Rockhopper 1 x 10 conversion that I renamed "Curbhopper". But I didn't use it as much as I thought I would, mainly because of the reasons you have identified, so it got traded for something else.

Still, if I had to rely on bicycles only for transportation, a rig like this would be very useful to have in the stable. Please keep us posted as this project evolves.
Thank you!
What did you end up putting on Curbhopper after you ditched the porteur rack?
Old 05-21-19, 07:41 AM
DQRider 
Old Boy

Bikes: Mostly 1st-generation, top-of-the-line, non-unicrown MTBs/ATBs: All 1984 models: Dawes Ranger, Peugeot Canyon Express, Ross Mt. Whitney (chrome), Schwinn High Sierra, and a 1983 Trek 850.

Mentioned: 134 Post(s)
Quoted: 984 Post(s)
Liked 1,715 Times in 611 Posts
Thank you!
What did you end up putting on Curbhopper after you ditched the porteur rack?

Actually, I traded her in after I finished building her into a very unique utility/cargo bike. Here's the only photo I have with her fully built:

1 x 10 Shimano Deore drivetrain, the heavily-shellacked baskets had varnished pine slats laid into the bottom like a pickup truck bed. The bike ended up weighing about as much as a pickup truck, too. But I used it for a couple Farmer's Market runs, and it worked OK for that.

Roulez pour la joie, jamais pour la douleur.

USMC 1981-1991 Semper Fi!
Old 05-21-19, 04:48 PM
tashi

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked 36 Times in 23 Posts
I have one bike that I'll probably put a wine box on, it's just too French to resist. I'll leave a small pack in it all the time however, and stuff will go in there. Should eliminate the rattle.

I have a hard time passing up alternatives to baskets because it's really nice to switch things up once in a while; but when it comes down to the function I still haven't found anything that I like more than a good old wald basket as far as versatility, adaptability, and comfort.
I've been on the lookout for a good wooden box for a number of years, just to have around for the right build when it comes up. I'd never even thought about the sound factor though! Definitely glad to know about that now. With that in mind it might be time to call off my box search.
Old 05-22-19, 04:52 AM
audiomagnate

Location: Omaha, the most bike unfriendly city in the Midwest!

Bikes: Cannondale Six 5, 89 Trek race bike

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 19 Posts

I started with a 32 pound '94 MTB with a frozen suspension fork. New lightweight pedals, a carbon seatpost and seat, 1 1/2 inch Panaracer messenger tires and a $16 CroMoly rigid fork transformed it into a 26 pound curb hopper (including the Pletscher) that will take the worst that Atlanta's crumbling infrastructure can throw at it. I made the mistake of taking my Cannondale crit racer into town last week...never again!
Old 05-23-19, 02:01 AM
JayNed

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 3 Posts
I've been following this thread for some time and as we speak I'm rebuilding a 1994 Trek 850 Mt. Track into a commuter/school-daycare drop-off/occasional trail riding combo. Not sure if im going for drop bars or an upright combo. To be continued!
Old 05-23-19, 01:05 PM
Smokinapankake

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 216 Post(s)
Liked 653 Times in 254 Posts
Originally Posted by smoothness
I posted it in the "fenders" thread, but I think this is better suited.

Is that one of those Carver forks you see on eBay? I used one on my Peugeot Canyon Express conversion and they are very nice forks!
Old 05-24-19, 05:59 AM
travgott

Bikes: vintage raleigh, bbf retro, vintage gitane, trek antelope, steel is real

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
x post of my urban commuter conversion so far. new wheels on the way and gonna put thinner road/hybrid rubber on. you guys got me inspired!! '89 trek antelope 800 under all those stickers

Likes For travgott:
Old 05-24-19, 10:12 AM
BIGDCYCLES
Gravel Junkie

Bikes: GT type CX, FUJI Sandblaster Drop Bar conversion, Kink Williams BMX, Framed Defendant Pro 22" BMX, Custom Klunker

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by travgott
x post of my urban commuter conversion so far. new wheels on the way and gonna put thinner road/hybrid rubber on. you guys got me inspired!! '89 trek antelope 800 under all those stickers

Thats a pretty cool stickerbomb. Been thinking of doing that to a beater Specialized Hard Rock I have.
Old 05-24-19, 10:17 AM
simmonsgc

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 8 Posts
Some really cool bikes here lately, so tastefully done. This thing, on the other hand, is a bit of a tank. But it's a comfortable tank. Steel stem, steel fenders, and the heaviest tires in the English-speaking world don't help. Rode it to work 3 times this week just to shake it down. It's a work out! But like they say, "you gotta want it..."

1988 Panasonic MC-6500 in "Dusty Rose"

Last edited by simmonsgc; 05-24-19 at 11:48 AM.
Likes For simmonsgc:
Old 05-24-19, 02:16 PM
audiomagnate

Location: Omaha, the most bike unfriendly city in the Midwest!

Bikes: Cannondale Six 5, 89 Trek race bike

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 19 Posts
Originally Posted by simmonsgc
Some really cool bikes here lately, so tastefully done. This thing, on the other hand, is a bit of a tank. But it's a comfortable tank. Steel stem, steel fenders, and the heaviest tires in the English-speaking world don't help. Rode it to work 3 times this week just to shake it down. It's a work out! But like they say, "you gotta want it..."

1988 Panasonic MC-6500 in "Dusty Rose"
My '94 Bianchi (see a few posts above) is sporting the fork from your bike. I covered the dusty rose with rattle can flat black and everybody thinks I sprang for carbon LOL.
Old 05-26-19, 02:14 PM
Clyde1820

Bikes: 1996 Trek 970 ZX Single Track 2x11

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 610 Post(s)
Liked 558 Times in 423 Posts
Recently missed a vintage lugged Trek 950. Would have used many of the great-looking examples in this thread for inspiration, on an upright ride.

Early Trek 950, Brooks B17, Nitto Bosco bars, thumbie shifters, perhaps Paul canti brakes, full-length fenders over 26x2" tires. My own personal, comfortable, upright city machine. Yum.
Old 05-26-19, 03:25 PM
cooperryder

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 211 Post(s)
Liked 1,399 Times in 397 Posts
Trek 950

I recently finished up a lugged Trek 950.
It was originally a bright blue.
It is not as nicely decked out as described above but it rides real nice.

Last edited by cooperryder; 05-26-19 at 03:34 PM.
Likes For cooperryder:
Old 05-26-19, 07:43 PM
smoothness 

Bikes: Centurions, Shoguns, and Stumpjumpers

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by Smokinapankake
Is that one of those Carver forks you see on eBay? I used one on my Peugeot Canyon Express conversion and they are very nice forks!
The fork is made by Surly for their Troll frames. The bike shop accidentally ordered the one to replace a 120mm suspension fork, so now I have two of these with different axle to crown lengths. It has way more eyelets than I need; I found out the other day that I can carry four bottle cages and still have a few eyelets left over.
Old 05-27-19, 05:42 PM
gil_00000

Bikes: 1977 Trek Tx700, 1978 Trek 510, 1969 Raleigh Competition, 1985 Univega Viva Sport, 1991 Bridgestone RB-1, 1986 Schwinn Voyageur, 1987 Bianchi Limited, 1986 Trek 400 Elance, 2019 Surly Karate Monkey

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 16 Posts
Love looking at all these conversions! Makes me itch for another bike
Old 05-27-19, 08:33 PM
smoothness 

Bikes: Centurions, Shoguns, and Stumpjumpers

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 9 Posts
Consider this a tasteful targeted advertisement:

If anyone is looking for a mtb frame to work on, I have a bunch of "nice" frames that need homes. Sizes range from 16.5" ctt to about 21", depending on your riding style/purpose. I've two S-Works (both aluminum, neither with a fork), one stumpjumper and four or five singletracks. I'm looking for nicer 26" rim brake wheels, 110 chainrings (ramped preferred), and verdant ink-laden cellulose composite sheets.

(If there's any question, I've paid for the "buy/sell" subscription. If this is still considered verbotem, my bad. Please don't lock the thread/ban me.)
Old 05-27-19, 09:20 PM
Loose Chain

Bikes: 84 Pinarello Trevisio, 86 Guerciotti SLX, 96 Specialized Stumpjumper, 2010 Surly Cross Check, 88 Centurion Prestige, 73 Raleigh Sports, GT Force, Bridgestone MB4

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked 71 Times in 56 Posts
Not all that upright, I do not see how you guys do that upright thing without having to surgically remove the saddle from your certain nether regions, but, here she is, Specialized Rock Hopper. Still working out some issues with gearing, brakes and ergos but it is getting close at last. Very upright by my standards but still a good, comfortable forward lean for weight distribution and balance:

I am going to wrap the bars up to the IRD friction shifters. The brake levers are Grand Cru and PB fender set with Wald basket. This is a 19 inch C/C seat tube which is too big for me (my opinion) as an aggressive MTB but as a general purpose cruiser it is just right, installed a much shorter stem to account for the long TT and keep the ergos more gentle/upright (MTBs of this era had long TTs). Steers and ride fine.

Last edited by Loose Chain; 05-27-19 at 09:30 PM.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.