Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

MUP Etiquette

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

MUP Etiquette

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-19, 07:52 AM
PoorBob

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
MUP Etiquette

Time for my annual rant.

MUPs Segment Seekers etc. Dogs off the leash, kids off the leash (joking) 4 wide walkers, people with headphones zig zagging all are annoying.... (and so is the cyclist that passes the 4 wide walkers and squeezes in between them and a bike traveling in the opposite direction!)

But please remember these are MUPs not raceways.... Its frustrating but please do not force a pass, not only are you jeopardizing those around you, but you're also jeopardizing your own safety. Long summer ahead, cooler heads will prevail. Lets try to get along on the MUPs
Likes For PoorBob:
Old 05-18-19, 08:01 AM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts

I'm having some crazy deja vu right now. We may have been down this MUP before.
Old 05-18-19, 08:18 AM
CAT7RDR

Bikes: 1999 Schwinn Peloton Ultegra 10, Kestrel RT-1000 Ultegra, Trek Marlin 6 Deore 29'er

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 822 Post(s)
Liked 1,960 Times in 943 Posts
If one has the presumption that MUPs were paved for cyclists, there is no help available to cope with the cognitive dissonance.
Old 05-18-19, 11:53 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7649 Post(s)
Liked 3,469 Times in 1,832 Posts
I love MUPs .... keeps the idiots cyclists off the road and out of my way. I have to deal with enough debris in the bike lane without having to avoid human debris.
Old 05-18-19, 12:40 PM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 1,677 Times in 827 Posts
Originally Posted by poorbob
...mups not raceways....
+1000
Old 05-18-19, 06:03 PM
Hokiedad4

Bikes: Specialized Sirrus, Giant Contend

Quoted: 105 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 13 Posts
I avoid MUPs. But in the rare occasion that I use an MUP, a bike bell does wonders.
Old 05-18-19, 06:19 PM
ironnerd
Blue Collar Cyclist

Bikes: Motobecane Gravel X1, Iron Horse Maverick 1.0

Quoted: 43 Post(s)
Liked 21 Times in 16 Posts
I think one issue is that the jerks won't read this thread. If they do, they will agree with it completely (because it's always that other guy who's being the jerk).
@Maelochs, what's your point? The post clearly does not apply to you (everyone raise your hand if Maelochs' resolve to ride only on roads impressed you...).

I live in a city where hit-and-run is more a like hobby than a crime. If I have access to a MUP that runs close to where I'm going, I'll use it. I gotta deal with moronic meat-bags one way or another; I chose to deal with the moronic meat-bags who are slower than I am and are not encased in a couple tons of metal.
Old 05-18-19, 07:33 PM
MikeyMK
Cycleway town

Bikes: 2.6kw GT LTS e-tandem, 250w Voodoo, 250w solar recumbent trike, 3-speed shopper, Merlin ol/skl mtb, 80cc Ellswick

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 569 Post(s)
Liked 169 Times in 117 Posts
Originally Posted by BobbyG
+1000
This.

As a cyclist amongst children, pets, etc.. YOU are the problem. Not them. Learn to be more sociable - slow down to a suitable speed for the conditions and situation, be prepared, be ready, and have a positive, decent, caring attitude.
Old 05-19-19, 06:14 AM
rydabent
Banned

Bikes: RANS Stratus TerraTrike Tour II

Mentioned: 46 Post(s)
Quoted: 3352 Post(s)
Liked 1,056 Times in 635 Posts
The OP is exactly right. Look at the first word in MUPs, it is multiple. That means you will meet almost any kind of user. It is NOT a race course. Even on some good down hill with the wind sections on our MUPS I try never to exceed 15 MPH because I never know who or what may pop out.
Old 05-19-19, 07:31 AM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2134 Post(s)
Liked 1,644 Times in 826 Posts
Not all MUPs are created equally. Some I can go for miles without encountering anyone. Some are rife with hazards. Just like the roadways are when I drive. We will never rid the world of inconsiderate, ignorant or dumb people. They are part and parcel of the human experience. I guess there is some therapeutic value in venting.
Old 05-19-19, 08:40 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,532 Times in 1,043 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
I love MUPs .... keeps the idiots cyclists off the road and out of my way. I have to deal with enough debris in the bike lane without having to avoid human debris.
Serious Cyclist™ bad mouthing cyclists on the the MUPs as "idiot cyclists" and "human debris" and happy that they stay off the road and out of his way, where presumably the Real Cyclists are riding the Right Way.

Poster Boy attitude for BF A&S brand Bicycling Advocacy!
Old 05-19-19, 06:17 PM
Rollfast
What happened?

Bikes: 3 Rollfasts, 3 Schwinns, a Shelby and a Higgins Flightliner in a pear tree!

Mentioned: 57 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1835 Post(s)
Liked 292 Times in 255 Posts
You don't like the MUP PETS?
Old 05-19-19, 07:07 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
MUPs are great for riding like a maniac when they are empty. When they're crowded, just consider it like mingling at a party, and it's actually pretty enjoyable.
Old 05-19-19, 07:18 PM
goldensprocket
Banned.

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Hokiedad4
I avoid MUPs. But in the rare occasion that I use an MUP, a bike bell does wonders.
It's really hit or miss. There are always the folks who are oblivious - even when they aren't rocking ear buds.

Old 05-19-19, 09:14 PM
UniChris

Bikes: 36" Unicycle, winter knock-around hybrid bike

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 930 Post(s)
Liked 393 Times in 282 Posts
Rode a sort of "temporary MUP" today where the county closes 6 miles of a parkway for recreation. With two lanes in each direction all for human powered endeavor it mostly worked out pretty well, that said:

1) Parents letting their little training-wheel and just-free-of kids ride in the passing lane, sometimes with mom or dad jogging in the right lane. I'm slow enough it's not hard to deal with, but going by on the right is disconcerting, and there were some roadies out who were really booking. And "keep right" doesn't work on kids even if you're not a strange adult disconcertingly yelling, because left/right is still a real puzzle. Also someone who decided to climb the median guard rail, not unreasonably in the circumstances, but one parent ended up holding a bike with occupied baby carrier perpendicular across the left lane while the other lifted the second bike over. Really, if you're going to "park" there, do it lengthwise along the guard rail, and exercise situational awareness.

2) Passing on the right. Last year it was folks who insisted on cruising up the right edge when there was half the right lane and the entire left lane available. This year it was a guy who decided to weave and do so right after we all went under a bridge - he came past me and some others on the left then inexplicable swerved to the right and tried to pass someone just ahead on that side when he could have just as easily stayed on the left. It got close for a second and he yelled, but it all worked out.
Old 05-20-19, 08:58 AM
MattTheHat 

Bikes: 2021 S-Works Turbo Creo SL, 2020 Specialized Roubaix Expert

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 762 Post(s)
Liked 4,032 Times in 1,427 Posts
I believe the correct term is...MUPiquette.

-Matt
Old 05-20-19, 09:13 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18409 Post(s)
Liked 15,518 Times in 7,324 Posts
I was sort of involved with a crash yesterday while on a crowded stretch of MUP finishing an overnight tour. Large swarm of at least two dozen was going way too fast in an area with several road crossings in a row. Mid-trail bollards had recently been installed. I am taking it easy as far right as I can keep my loaded bike. Came to a road crossing. Car was approaching. I slowed down. Car stopped to let us go even though we had the stop sign. One woman in the swarm does not seen the bollard until it's too late. Clips it and falls right towards me. I saw able to avoid running over her but I had to put down my left foot on her rear wheel. No damage done.

Control your roll, folk.
Old 05-20-19, 11:45 AM
88Tempo

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 15 Posts
I wonder about all the traffic if I see 6-8 cars in 20 miles, I can't even imagine riding that MUP that Goldensprocket posted.
Old 05-20-19, 12:34 PM
goldensprocket
Banned.

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by 88Tempo
I wonder about all the traffic if I see 6-8 cars in 20 miles, I can't even imagine riding that MUP that Goldensprocket posted.
If you think video that is in any way typical of a MUP, let alone that MUP, I have a big ole bridge in Brooklyn to sell you.

It was an example of how even during an organized walk, with participants being warned in advance about etiquette, some folks are oblivious to a loud bell ringing behind them.
Old 05-20-19, 12:41 PM
UniChris

Bikes: 36" Unicycle, winter knock-around hybrid bike

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 930 Post(s)
Liked 393 Times in 282 Posts
Originally Posted by goldensprocket
If you think video that is in any way typical of a MUP, let alone that MUP, I have a big ole bridge in Brooklyn to sell you.

It was an example of how even during an organized walk, with participants being warned in advance about etiquette, some folks are oblivious to a loud bell ringing behind them.
I think you are describing that bridge, not selling it.

Likes For UniChris:
Old 05-20-19, 01:43 PM
88Tempo

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 19 Times in 15 Posts
You know what's bad is I watched the video on my cheap laptop and I didn't hear the bell either. I'm going to blame job related hearing loss for that though. I can't hear watch alarms either.
Old 05-20-19, 02:38 PM
livedarklions
Tragically Ignorant

Bikes: Serotta Atlanta; 1994 Specialized Allez Pro; Giant OCR A1; SOMA Double Cross Disc; 2022 Allez Elite mit der SRAM

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 8186 Post(s)
Liked 9,098 Times in 5,054 Posts
Originally Posted by goldensprocket
It's really hit or miss. There are always the folks who are oblivious - even when they aren't rocking ear buds.

https://youtu.be/NX_x_UCdZh0
I hate everything about that video. Speeding everything up like that makes it look like every pass is ridiculously dangerous. A lot (most?) of the bell rings seem to be at people who are about where they ought to be.
Old 05-20-19, 03:35 PM
tagaproject6

Bikes: Wilier Izoard XP (Record);Cinelli Xperience (Force);Specialized Allez (Rival);Bianchi Via Nirone 7 (Centaur); Colnago AC-R Disc;Colnago V1r Limited Edition;De Rosa King 3 Limited(Force 22);DeRosa Merak(Red):Pinarello Dogma 65.1 Hydro(Di2)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 551 Post(s)
Liked 277 Times in 145 Posts
I don't think those people come here.
Old 05-20-19, 04:13 PM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
Originally Posted by Paul Barnard
Not all MUPs are created equally. Some I can go for miles without encountering anyone. Some are rife with hazards. Just like the roadways are when I drive. We will never rid the world of inconsiderate, ignorant or dumb people. They are part and parcel of the human experience. I guess there is some therapeutic value in venting.
This.

Some MU have mile long open stretches past protected marshes or reserves where rarely a pedestrian would tread. However, your speed (unless otherwise posted) should be what's safe and prudent.

In any event, you don't need speed to be a hazard and to cause injury and harm.

Allowing your dog's leash to extend across the entire MUP for example. Or simply not being attentive to others around you is what produces the greatest potential for accidents. Some people seem to forget that.
Old 05-20-19, 04:21 PM
goldensprocket
Banned.

Liked 5 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by livedarklions
I hate everything about that video. Speeding everything up like that makes it look like every pass is ridiculously dangerous. A lot (most?) of the bell rings seem to be at people who are about where they ought to be.
I'm glad you enjoyed it.

Normal folks ring bells on MUPs even when people are "about where they ought to be" to let them know that someone is passing. This can help prevent people from being startled by a bike coming by "out of nowhere."

This is basic stuff.
Likes For goldensprocket:

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.