Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Cycling in a freeway?! Video

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-19, 07:06 PM
RoadSurfer

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts

Hello,
Just thought to share this, I actually have a number of videos in my channel, but this might be different with the beat, and the changes between night and day,
My commute using this road is around once a week or so,

I also subtitled the text if you are interested, even though not really important to the action,
Please enjoy

Likes For RoadSurfer:
Old 07-14-19, 07:48 PM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 941 Times in 504 Posts
Thanks for posting. Your rides look quite calm and uneventful. Proof that cycling in traffic, even busy high speed traffic, is not instant death like some imagine it to be.
Old 07-15-19, 01:52 AM
dahoneezz

Quoted: 163 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
I love the music.

"The Baldness is aerodynamic." (minute 5 of subtitle)

Is the rider smoking shisha while at it? Nuts.
Old 07-15-19, 07:05 AM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 1,677 Times in 827 Posts
@RoadSurfer

Very cool video, but I don't agree with riding on that type of road in the manner that you are.

I commute to work 3-4 days a week with weekend rides as well and I am very comfortable riding in traffic especially with a simple, painted bike lane. But riding in the inner lanes of a fast, limited access road strikes me as nearly suicidal. The drivers in Dharahn and Khobar seem much more courteous and patient than anywhere I've ever ridden.

Your average speed is 29.2kph, about 18 mph. Traffic on those roads looks to be traveling more than double that speed.

My other issue is how low the velomobile sits. It's not as low as some recumbent trikes, and it does have more visibility to it, but it still seems dangerous.

I don't know if I'm getting old and I'm becoming more risk-adverse, or if I'm just jealous because, to be honest, your ride looks like a complete blast and traffic seems to accept you.

Two questions...
Do you have mirrors?
What kind of lighting do you employ, if any?

Anyway, thanks for posting your video.
Old 07-15-19, 12:13 PM
audiomagnate

Location: Omaha, the most bike unfriendly city in the Midwest!

Bikes: Cannondale Six 5, 89 Trek race bike

Quoted: 45 Post(s)
Liked 25 Times in 19 Posts
Originally Posted by BobbyG
@RoadSurfer

Very cool video, but I don't agree with riding on that type of road in the manner that you are.

I commute to work 3-4 days a week with weekend rides as well and I am very comfortable riding in traffic especially with a simple, painted bike lane. But riding in the inner lanes of a fast, limited access road strikes me as nearly suicidal. The drivers in Dharahn and Khobar seem much more courteous and patient than anywhere I've ever ridden.

Your average speed is 29.2kph, about 18 mph. Traffic on those roads looks to be traveling more than double that speed.

My other issue is how low the velomobile sits. It's not as low as some recumbent trikes, and it does have more visibility to it, but it still seems dangerous.

I don't know if I'm getting old and I'm becoming more risk-adverse, or if I'm just jealous because, to be honest, your ride looks like a complete blast and traffic seems to accept you.

Two questions...
Do you have mirrors?

The subtitles say "Mirrors and lights" so I assume that's a yes.
Old 07-15-19, 01:09 PM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1513 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
Most velomobiles I've seen run about 30" high at the hood, maybe 3' at the 'turtle deck' behind the rider's head.

I believe that is a Rotovelo.

Last edited by BlazingPedals; 07-15-19 at 07:29 PM.
Old 07-15-19, 01:31 PM
FiftySix
I'm the anecdote.

Bikes: '12 Schwinn, '13 Norco

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 1110 Post(s)
Liked 1,176 Times in 795 Posts
Around here, there is a minimum speed limit for freeways and interstate highways. Typically 40 mph (65 kph).

That pretty much eliminates the possibility of pedal power on those roadways here.

I wish that minimum speed limit would keep the oversized taco trucks with their "drag brakes" extended off those same roadways, but nooooo.
Old 07-15-19, 07:27 PM
RoadSurfer

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
@RoadSurfer

Two questions...
Do you have mirrors?

I am guessing you are getting old,
But seriously, this has been a regular commute for me for years, check this black and white old video of me going through the same road , it will even look different before building the new bridges, using a bent

This is also a night ride on the same road, very old videos
same ride divided into two videos, before youtube allowed more than 10min of stream

I will try to subtitle these videos also, as they are more educational regarding how to ride.

regarding speed, according to my knowledge and experience, If speeds of vehicles around are 80KM\H or less, then driving your bike should not be an issue on such a road traffic wise, easy to maneuver and change lanes, easy to see, easy to bypass.
My choice of my lanes are according to my reception and intuition on what is the best lane to use for me, I tend to use the right most lane 5% of the time, the majority would be the 2nd from the right and even the 3rd depending on traffic,
Old 07-15-19, 07:31 PM
RoadSurfer

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by FiftySix
Around here, there is a minimum speed limit for freeways and interstate highways. Typically 40 mph (65 kph).

That pretty much eliminates the possibility of pedal power on those roadways here.

I wish that minimum speed limit would keep the oversized taco trucks with their "drag brakes" extended off those same roadways, but nooooo.
Sorry to hear that, I am guessing it might only be a limitation on motor traffic, not human powered.
Old 07-15-19, 09:21 PM
BobbyG

Bikes: 2015 Charge Plug, 2007 Dahon Boardwalk, 1997 Nishiki Blazer, 1984 Nishiki International, 2006 Felt F65, 1989 Dahon Getaway V

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1364 Post(s)
Liked 1,677 Times in 827 Posts
Originally Posted by RoadSurfer
I am guessing you are getting old,
But seriously, this has been a regular commute for me for years, check this black and white old video of me going through the same road , it will even look different before building the new bridges, using a bent

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=19LlEYK_t2s

same ride divided into two videos, before youtube allowed more than 10min of stream
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZ3_ApO3DgY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=064am4bRi9o

I will try to subtitle these videos also, as they are more educational regarding how to ride.

regarding speed, according to my knowledge and experience, If speeds of vehicles around are 80KM\H or less, then driving your bike should not be an issue on such a road traffic wise, easy to maneuver and change lanes, easy to see, easy to bypass.
My choice of my lanes are according to my reception and intuition on what is the best lane to use for me, I tend to use the right most lane 5% of the time, the majority would be the 2nd from the right and even the 3rd depending on traffic,
It sounds and looks like you are not a reckless rider after all, and your local traffic seems different than mine.

However, the next time a non-biking friend or family member tells me my ride videos look dangerous, I will still show them yours.

But the worse thing about your videos is that they make me feel old.
Old 07-15-19, 09:33 PM
RoadSurfer

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
It sounds and looks like you are not a reckless rider after all, and your local traffic seems different than mine.

However, the next time a non-biking friend or family member tells me my ride videos look dangerous, I will still show them yours.

But the worse thing about your videos is that they make me feel old.
Well, if you want to feel young and comfortable about yourself, This video explains how to ride around BIG roundabouts, I use a cheap 50$ bike, without bike fitting, riding normal speed 15 times around, It is English Subtitled, You will also see clumsy drivers honking , the idea is just ride confidently, and predictably,

Of course I teach the Wrong way to do it also,

Old 07-15-19, 09:35 PM
RoadSurfer

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by BlazingPedals
Most velomobiles I've seen run about 30" high at the hood, maybe 3' at the 'turtle deck' behind the rider's head.

I believe that is a Rotovelo.

You seem to be from bentrideronline, I recognize your avatar, nickname, I am green speed over there, here is the same topic at that end,
You are being redirected...

And yes I am using my wife's Rotovelo in that video
Likes For RoadSurfer:
Old 07-15-19, 09:37 PM
RoadSurfer

Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by AlmostTrick
Thanks for posting. Your rides look quite calm and uneventful. Proof that cycling in traffic, even busy high speed traffic, is not instant death like some imagine it to be.
Enjoy, it is not Proof, but evidence,
Old 07-16-19, 09:48 AM
AlmostTrick
Tortoise Wins by a Hare!

Bikes: Wabi Special FG, Raleigh Roper, Nashbar AL-1, Miyata One Hundred, '70 Schwinn Lemonator and More!!

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1549 Post(s)
Liked 941 Times in 504 Posts
Enjoy, it is not Proof, but evidence,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=19LlEYK_t2s

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wZ3_ApO3DgY
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=064am4bRi9o
Right, quite a bit of evidence, I'd say. Good job on the training videos.
Old 07-17-19, 02:04 AM
canklecat
Me duelen las nalgas

Bikes: Centurion Ironman, Trek 5900, Univega Via Carisma, Globe Carmel

Mentioned: 199 Post(s)
Quoted: 4559 Post(s)
Liked 2,802 Times in 1,800 Posts
Pretty cool. Good speed in some places, which is safer since the overtake speed of motor vehicles is within reasonable reaction time.

Probably safer than the two-lane rural Texas highways I often ride.

Best wishes and safe travels!
Old 07-17-19, 06:52 AM
ironwood

Bikes: 1984 Bridgestone 400 1985Univega nouevo sport 650b conversion 1993b'stone RBT 1985 Schwinn Tempo

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 542 Post(s)
Liked 152 Times in 100 Posts
I guess there aren't any drunk drivers in your country. On some highways in parts of the US, you would be lucky to survive five minutes.