Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Sa Gear Slipping?

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Sa Gear Slipping?

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-08, 10:18 AM
jamesj

Bikes: 2015 Specialized AWOL, 2006 Paul Frank Cruiser, 1987 Specialized Street Stomper, 1980 Trek 412, 1979 Raleigh Sport,

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 99 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 25 Posts
Sa Gear Slipping?

So I have been riding my 3 speed to work it has a 3 speed sturmy archer hub

So I was riding into work this morning, and I was trying to shift to third… but it wasn’t catching, first and second were fine. But when I shifted to third it felt like it was stuck in-between gears, my cranks and pedals were just spinning in the air. And when it does catch it doesn’t feel like third it feels like seond, also if it does catch in third I start to pedal and it slips out and just spins.

The other night it was kinda acting weird, I would try to shift into second but it wouldn’t work I had to go into third then downshift back to second and it would finally catch.

Im not sure what is the matter with the thing and if it is easy to fix…
any help or suggestions?

thanx
-james
Old 06-26-08, 11:05 AM
mparker326

Bikes: Schwinn Paramount P15, Fisher Montare, Proteus, Rivendell Quickbeam

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Sound like classic cable misadjustment issue.

See https://sheldonbrown.com/english-3.html and look for the "3-speed cable adjustment" section. Adjust properly and 9 times out of 10 this will solve your problem.
Old 06-26-08, 11:12 AM
jonwvara 

Bikes: 1966 Dawes Double Blue, 1976 Raleigh Gran Sport, 1975 Raleigh Sprite 27, 1980 Univega Viva Sport, 1971 Gitane Tour de France, 1984 Lotus Classique, 1976 Motobecane Grand Record

Mentioned: 77 Post(s)
Quoted: 764 Post(s)
Liked 656 Times in 348 Posts
You probably just need to adjust the cable tension by twisting the barrel adjuster where the cable enters the rear hub. If it freewheels in second (middle gear) it's too loose--if it freewheels in third (high gear) it's too tight. Twiddle with it a bit and you'll soon get it right. The cable should basically be completely slack in high gear.
JV
Old 06-27-08, 07:26 AM
Pompiere

Bikes: 1984 Miyata 310, 1986 Schwinn Sierra, 2011 Jamis Quest, 1980 Peugeot TH8 Tandem, 1992 Performance Parabola, 1987 Ross Mt. Hood, 1988 Schwinn LeTour, 1988 Trek 400T, 1981 Fuji S12-S LTD, 197? FW Evans

Mentioned: 24 Post(s)
Quoted: 525 Post(s)
Liked 977 Times in 509 Posts
Also, check where the cable stop clamps to the frame. If it was working before, the clamp may have slipped a little, throwing the adjustment off. If the plastic piece is broken, you need to ask the LBS for a "Fulcrum". Once you are sure the cable stop is tight, then procede with the adjustment as mentioned above.