Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Training & Nutrition
Reload this Page >

Winter Training Program

Search
Notices
Training & Nutrition Learn how to develop a training schedule that's good for you. What should you eat and drink on your ride? Learn everything you need to know about training and nutrition here.

Winter Training Program

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-09, 12:44 PM
fmvapp

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Winter Training Program

Hi,
I would like some help in developing a winter training program. I would like to work on long endurance training to help out with my long rides I do in the summer. I do alot of charity rides ranging anywhere from 45-75 miles and I would like to do a century ride this year. My only problem is that I'm way too slow. What kind of training program can I put together to help me train for my long rides coming up this summer??? I already do weight training 4 days a week. I would like to follow a training program to do on my indoor trainer.

Thanks in advance
fmvapp
Old 12-22-09, 03:10 PM
palesaint

Bikes: 2008 fetish illustre

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 1 Post
Hey fmvapp,

In a nutshell, just ride lots. If you want something in particular to help you along, one option is the Carmichael training series dvd's. Or you can download them at:

https://www.trainright.com/info.asp?uid=1265

The page actually has a good training system. It starts with determining the best heartrate to train at (you need a heartrate monitor, which is a useful tool). It then progresses to exercises that focus on pedal stroke, max power and intervals. I would focus more on the steady state and tempo workouts, as these help build your overall fitness.

These workouts will help build a good hour-long base. If you can stand it, just pedaling for a couple hours will help more with endurance. Many people just focus on the hour efforts and then have a good start when the weather improves and they ramp out the miles outdoors. If you do a lot of 1 hour workouts on the trainer, you should be able to tackle a 40 miler on the road with relative ease. Then you can start adding more miles and you should be able to handle a century early in the season. A general rule of thumb that I have heard is that you can take a mileage that you can ride at a fast clip and, if you back off the intensity, you should be able to ride double that. So if you get in lots of 50 milers, a century shouldn't kill you.